THE BROWNS BOARD

Overtime games

The Gipper

A few factoids about Overtime games that I have come across: 

The most overtime games in one season occurred in 2002 and 2003, when there were 26 overtime games (counting playoffs).  Last year’s 19 overtime games were tied for the third most ever.

I think with the shortened OT this record could fall.  Not sure how many there have been yet this season

In Week 6 of 1995 there were 5 overtimes games.  Those are the most overtime games played in one week.

The 1983 Packers (2-3) and the 2003 Panthers (4-1) played in five overtime games.  The most overtime games played by one team in one season.  The Panthers four overtime wins in 2003 is the most by any NFL team in one season.  Many teams have lost three overtime games in one season.  The last team to do so were the 2010 Bills.

The way things are going the Browns could match that record of 5 OT games.  3 out of 5 that they have played so far have been OT....they are  1-1-1

No team has ever played in three consecutive overtime games.  The last team to play in back to back overtime games were the 2010 Jets.

Browns now have matched this

The most common week for overtime games in the NFL has been Week 12 (37 overtime games).  Followed by Week 2 (35 overtime games).

The most common overtime matchup has been the Broncos-Raiders.  The Raiders hold a 5-3 edge over the Broncos in overtime games.

The Dolphins-Patriots have faced off against each other seven times in overtime.  With the Dolphins holding the 4-3 edge in overtime games against the Patriots.

The Eagles-Giants have played seven overtime games against each other.  The Giants have a 6-1 edge in overtime games against the Eagles.  The last time the Giants lost an overtime game to the Eagles was in 1988.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting!

Boy I tell ya, I didn’t think we had much of a chance in overtime.  Not that I was being a negative jerk, but because of our FG situation, and special teams in general.  The Ravens on the other hand are exactly the team you DON’T want to play in overtime, which makes our victory even MORE impressive.  I mean, they get the ball barely over midfield and they’re about in Justin Tucker’s range, LOL.  That guy is just THAT good. 

Getting that overtime win is so much more than just a W in the left-hand column.  It exorcises the demons of past failures and proves to the team, the fans, and everyone else that we CAN finish a darn game.  That is just so important.  We could’ve blown that game any number of ways, and we DIDN’T.  A home win.  A division win.  Congrats Browns…what a day. 

The BROWNS came close this week to really screwing up my 2018 projection of 5-10-1.

They might be close to screwing up the 5 wins with this KARDIAC KIDS v3.0 win stuff. 

GO BROWNS, now just settle down a bit. :lol:

4 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Can't help but wonder how that compares to the days before O T? More or less ties at the end of regulation? I preferred the sudden death format for OT and feel the new system will just lead to more ties overall. It's pretty much a ten minute extra period.

It will lead to more ties.  It already has.  There was  not a single tie game last year.

2016:  2 ties

2015: None

2014:  1

2013: 1

2012: 1

09/10/11: None

2008:  1

03/04/05/06/07:  None

2002:  1

1998-2001:  None

1997:  2

1989-1996:  None

From 1974 until 1989,  only 1 year saw 2 ties:  1986

With just one more game ending in a tie this year, that will be more tie games than any year since they began OT in 1974.

Before 1974, there were ties:

1960  5  1961  3  1962  4  1963  5  1964  6  1965  2  1966  5  1967 9  1968 4   1969 5   19709  1971 8   1972 5

1973 7

The number of games that ended in ties began increasing in the late 60s, early 70s, so that is why they went to regular season OT.

25 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Can't help but wonder how that compares to the days before O T? More or less ties at the end of regulation? I preferred the sudden death format for OT and feel the new system will just lead to more ties overall. It's pretty much a ten minute extra period.

15 ----> 10 minutes done to reduce injuries. Originally OT was done to eliminate ties.....go figure.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It will lead to more ties.  It already has.  There was  not a single tie game last year.

2016:  2 ties

2015: None

2014:  1

2013: 1

2012: 1

09/10/11: None

2008:  1

03/04/05/06/07:  None

2002:  1

1998-2001:  None

1997:  2

1989-1996:  None

From 1974 until 1989,  only 1 year saw 2 ties:  1986

With just one more game ending in a tie this year, that will be more tie games than any year since they began OT in 1974.

Before 1974, there were ties:

1960  5  1961  3  1962  4  1963  5  1964  6  1965  2  1966  5  1967 9  1968 4   1969 5   19709  1971 8   1972 5

1973 7

The number of games that ended in ties began increasing in the late 60s, early 70s, so that is why they went to regular season OT.

Those numbers are that of a smaller league too. Less teams and what? 12 and 14 game schedules. 

14 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Those numbers are that of a smaller league too. Less teams and what? 12 and 14 game schedules. 

Uh, no 12 game schedules.  NFL went to 16 games in 1978.

But the league was not that much smaller.  

After the 1970 expansion until 1976 there were 26 teams.   In 1976 they went to 28 with the Seahawks and Bucs added.

In 1995 the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jags were added to to to 30 teams.

In 1999 it became a 31 team league......(Ravens formed in 1996, Browns reactivated 1999)

In 2002 The Texans were added to make it a 32 team league.

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Uh, no 12 game schedules.  NFL went to 16 games in 1978.

But the league was not that much smaller.  

After the 1970 expansion until 1976 there were 26 teams.   In 1976 they went to 28 with the Seahawks and Bucs added.

In 1995 the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jags were added to to to 30 teams.

In 1999 it became a 31 team league......(Ravens formed in 1996, Browns reactivated 1999)

In 2002 The Texans were added to make it a 32 team league.

Ok, it was pre 1960 that they were 12 game seasons. 

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Boy I tell ya, I didn’t think we had much of a chance in overtime.  Not that I was being a negative jerk

Dude, if Mark O had the ability to throw people off the Tavern, you would gotten tossed. 

Holy Sheet on a cracker, you were something yesterday during the game. 

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't understand Gip why you think with the shortened 10 minute OT will cause more games to go to overtime? I don't get the correlation... 

I didn't say that more games will go into OT.....I said there would be more ties.    If I said otherwise I misspoke.  But I don't think I did. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

I didn't say that more games will go into OT.....I said there would be more ties.    If I said otherwise I misspoke.  But I don't think I did. 

Shortened OT will cause more ties, less time to score.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

A few factoids about Overtime games that I have come across: 

The most overtime games in one season occurred in 2002 and 2003, when there were 26 overtime games (counting playoffs).  Last year’s 19 overtime games were tied for the third most ever.

I think with the shortened OT this record could fall.  Not sure how many there have been yet this season

This is what confused me Gip. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dude, if Mark O had the ability to throw people off the Tavern, you would gotten tossed. 

Holy Sheet on a cracker, you were something yesterday during the game. 

Dang it. I really didn't think I was THAT terrible. I'm sorry. 

4 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Dang it. I really didn't think I was THAT terrible. I'm sorry. 

Terrible isn't the right word.  Annoying and negative is more like it.   We all know how you feel, you post it here all the time, you don't need to repeat it over and over and over in real time during a game that we are fucking winning for christs sake.   That was what did me in during the game. 

8 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Terrible isn't the right word.  Annoying and negative is more like it.   We all know how you feel, you post it here all the time, you don't need to repeat it over and over and over in real time during a game that we are Shmucking winning for christs sake.   That was what did me in during the game. 

I get it. I literally think I had PTSD from the Saints game. It was such a sickening experience to sit there and watch it unfold. It's funny, at one point in the 2nd half I think we were up 12-6 or something, and my dad leans over and says, "Is it just me, or does it feel like we're down a touchdown for some reason?" It was like watching a movie where you know the actor is going to die at the end, but you're hoping he doesn't, and then he dies in a worse way than you thought possible. 

But hey, I'll drop it. And I know I post all the time, but I went back and looked at my posts and they weren't nearly all negative. Not even close. What about all the good things I say about people? Like sticking up for our coach? Praising our QB? Saying we have a real team?! Lots more!

I also want to say that just because someone predicts a loss, or even a poor showing, it doesn't mean they're negative. I mean, my gut reaction to our next game isn't good, but it's not because I'm being negative. It's because Rivers gets rid of the ball VERY quickly, and he's extremely accurate. He's tough to get to and he hits people in stride. I'm NOT saying we're going to lose or get blown out, I'm just making a point. Chargers run those obnoxious "man beater" crossing routes and tons of pick plays. Tough to defend, but with the way our secondary and linebackers are playing, I certainly wouldn't bet against us. 

Cut me a little slack. It's not like I post thoughtless insults that are meant to stir up crap and blatantly ignite a crap-storm. I never attack a fellow fan, I never criticize anyone on here, and I try to write posts that stick to the subject. But I'll let it go and drop it. And hey, give me some credit! I was right every week last year! Hahahahaha. Just kidding. I actually predicted 2 or 3 victories (all of which we SHOULD have won btw. Jets, 2nd Steelers game, and I forget the 3rd). I'm gonna enjoy this victory some more and relish in the "knuckle ball heard around the world" kick. I can't get over what a stellar defensive effort we had after giving up 600 yards last week. Unbelievable! 

Go Brownies! 

The purpose of overtime always was to determine a winner.

An overtime that has a good chance of ending in a tie is the convention of a jackoff. WTF good is an overtime if the game ends in the same fukcking tie it did in regulation? Use the college system, or don't have overtime at all. Just flip a coin. The NFL overtime protocol is horseschidt.

1 minute ago, Ghoolie said:

The purpose of overtime always was to determine a winner.

An overtime that has a good chance of ending in a tie is the convention of a jackoff. WTF good is an overtime if the game ends in the same fukcking tie it did in regulation? Use the college system, or don't have overtime at all. Just flip a coin. The NFL overtime protocol is horseschidt.

I would rather have no overtime then use the college rule. Which is such a bastardization of anything holy that it deserves to be thrown in the shitI would rather have no overtime then use the college rule. Which is such a bastardization of anything holy that it deserves to be thrown in the Sheet

THAN use the college rule................ not  THEN use the college rule. I don't care what they do, but if the OT can also end in a tie, then itis idiotic.

Archived