THE BROWNS BOARD

Duke

Ibleedbrown

Duke Johnson was the guy tabbed for the up the gut runs near the end of the game to make the kicker’s job easier. I thought that was interesting. Seems more Hyde territory. But it worked. 

Anyone else notice that? I thought it was either a genious or dumb luck coaching move. He’s credited with 24 yards gained on 3 plays leading up to the winning field goal. 

I will have to assume that they do not trust Chubb to be the extra blocker yet.. Hyde can make the hard yards AND block and keep the free man from killing Baker. 

For the fan boys of Chubb, give him time. he is obviously a VERY talented runner and can make people miss and find the hole.. BUT if he can't block, in our scheme he sits the bench except in plays where we have an extra TE to help with blocking.. And we don't seem to do a lot of 2 TE sets...

Next to QB, Running back in our scheme is going to be one of the hardest positions to learn, maybe DB might be harder, but Ward has shown a rookie can come in from college and excel in the position...

Having the combination this year of Duke and Hyde is great.. I just wish they would stick with the run a bit longer and force them to put the extra man in the box and open up Baker for some longer passes.. Make Baker's incredible play action feint be something to be absolutely feared by opposing defenses..

We seem to go away from the run to soon. And we are seem to be trying WAY TO MANY GIMMICK FFREAKING plays... Another reverse in a completely head scratching moment for a 7 yard loss.. STUPID. You have 2 great RB with another waiting in the wings... RUN IT TO THE SEAM or run it up the middle, but stop with the freaking reverses to WR's...

BobPOund!

Duke was a good choice at the end. Fresh legs, as mentioned above, plus speed. Both Hyde and the Ravens' D were pretty gassed that deep into OT.

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Duke is playing the important role of our 3rd down / blocking back.

With his limited touches though, I'm surprised he's not being used to return kicks. Not sure if he's ever done that though.

At least Chubb got back there for a return Sunday.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

That is how I would read it.

Zombo

Double Slot Receivers?    Landry on one side, Duke on the other?    Calloway  and either Willies/Streator or Ratley on the outside.  

Also....I think it possible that this coaching staff could see Njoku playing some at WR....with DeValve and Fells in the traditional TE role.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

That is how I would read it.

Also how I wrote it... yesterday.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:28 PM, Tour2ma said:

Hey! Here's a thought...

USE DUKE AS A WR!!!! 

;)

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Also how I wrote it... yesterday.

;)

Yes, and I wrote Sunday Night of getting Duke more involved in the passing game if Higgins was going to be out for any amount of time.

I don't think the Browns will be calling us soon to tap into our brilliance, though.

Z

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And what would you want?

Jags just signed RB Jamaal Charles yesterday. Trade deadline is 20 days away. From looking at most of the players projected on wire. Puting DE-Dante Fowler jr.in Williams system made some sense to me..Lot of WR's on the wire also.OBJ? idk.Tyrod hit everyone's Trade Wire..no worry, 7 threads will pop up soon 🤓..SB just re-signed Duke to a team friendly deal. Interested to see what Dorsey does. Duke does not appear to be a happy camper? With the Chargers coming in, Duke should be big in the game plan imo..   

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Jags just signed RB Jamaal Charles yesterday. Trade deadline is 20 days away. From looking at most of the players projected on wire. Puting DE-Dante Fowler jr.in Williams system made some sense to me..Lot of WR's on the wire also.OBJ? idk.Tyrod hit everyone's Trade Wire..no worry, 7 threads will pop up soon 🤓..SB just re-signed Duke to a team friendly deal. Interested to see what Dorsey does. Duke does not appear to be a happy camper? With the Chargers coming in, Duke should be big in the game plan imo..   

It was Dorsey who re-signed Duke just this past Summer. He's not going anywhere.

Z

19 minutes ago, Zombo said:

It was Dorset who re-signed Duke just this past Summer. He's not going anywhere.

Z

Maybe not but needs change. Team friendly deal makes for a trade friendly deal as well. This team is more competitive than expected, they may want to add a couple missing pieces for a playoff push.  Certainly can see them looking at WR 

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

Maybe not but needs change. Team friendly deal makes for a trade friendly deal as well. This team is more competitive than expected, they may want to add a couple missing pieces for a playoff push.  Certainly can see them looking at WR 

Duke is a valued member of our offense. Who are we going to trade him for?

There are veteran WRs like Dez Bryant available if they wanted to go that route.

You keep a versatile guy like Duke on your roster for exactly situations like this. Higgins is out two to four weeks ... Duke steps up. If Hyde or Chubb does down, Duke steps up. In the meantime he's your third down back, best receiver out of the backfield and an excellent blocker. Oh ... And he just salted away a victory for us with three clutch runs in OT to set up a FG ... turns out we needed every yard.

You guys that want to trade him are nuts. Depth and talent at one position is actually a good thing.

Zombo

6 minutes ago, Zombo said:

There are veteran WRs like Dez Bryant available if they wanted to go that route.

You keep a versatile guy like Duke on your roster for exactly situations like this. Higgins is out two to for weeks ... Duke steps up. If Hyde or Chubb does down, Duke steps up. In the meantime he's your third down back, best receiver out of the backfield and an excellent blocker. Oh ... And he just salted away a victory for us with three clutch runs in OT to set up a FG ... turns out we needed every yard.

You guys that want to trade him are nuts. Depth and talent at one position is actually a good thing.

Zombo

He hasn’t been used like he’s very valued. He made a point of looking at and gesturing the coaching staff after one of his runs on Sunday. 

I would hate for us to trade him, good coaches would move him around and get him into mismatches. 

Just now, LondonBrown said:

He hasn’t been used like he’s very valued. He made a point of looking at and gesturing the coaching staff after one of his runs on Sunday. 

Ok ... so?

Do you guys want to be a good football team or not?

If you got good players not getting used enough, that's a damn good sign for a change.

Injuries happen ... Ya'll are going to be damn glad we have Duke when they do.

To take this valuable third down receiver away from a Rookie QB would insane right now. Use your heads.

Zombo

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

Damn it, man. Now I'm going to add him to my prayer list. 

Please let's not trade Duke, he has been the best player during last two years suckage.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

You keep a versatile guy like Duke on your roster for exactly situations like this. Higgins is out two to four weeks ... Duke steps up. If Hyde or Chubb does down, Duke steps up. In the meantime he's your third down back, best receiver out of the backfield and an excellent blocker. Oh ... And he just salted away a victory for us with three clutch runs in OT to set up a FG ... turns out we needed every yard.

Zombo

Absolutely agree.  Duke will step up in the passing game, and otherwise.  He should be going absolutely nowhere.  

And as I noted,  this GM and maybe this coaching staff will likely want to see what kind of production they can get from some of their acquisitions they have made at WR:   Streator,  Willies, Ratley.  These guys need to step up as well.   We saw that Willies did just that this past week. 

With Baker playing poker dealer....just putting the cards in these guys hands, they then can see what they do with their hands.  Some players fold (see former Browns Bowe/Britt)....others go All In.  Lets hope a couple of these are All In kind of guys.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Damn it, man. Now I'm going to add him to my prayer list. 

Please let's not trade Duke, he has been the best player during last two years suckage.

I picked the Duke up on my FL team with Hyde and Landry -but- I can't find a spot to put him in he's not getting enough touches -but- then again I won't cut him yet because I believe his importance will increase as the season progresses.

Right? Wow the BROWNS might actually have too many weapons......now that's a stretch from 1-31.  :lol:

Archived