Jump to content
One Post

Fire the Kicker

Recommended Posts

1) I wonder if hue was told from upstairs to use that last TO? It's 3rd & 1 saving that TO incase of mis-handled snap with still time on clock..2) the player personal is just odd?Fells/Corbett*(looks to pinched wrong gap or man)/Robinson*/Zeitler/Huelett/Hubbard/Harrison/Bitonio/Ogbah**. 3)Looks as simple as flipping Ogbah to left with Joel banging out wingman #25..There's no illegal formation on a FG attempt is there? am not sure Ogbah knew what to do? but Bitonio should have kicked him left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was at the game and thats ofc what we thought, replay tho....uh uh...kick wasnt touched. Hold was perfect. Dafuq was that? u have to hit the ball pretty high up for it to come off low like that. But from that distance u get the ball up quick and sacrifice some distance by hitting the ball lower. Kicks should not be this adventurous whst in the all fuk....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching live I knew the ball was tipped and wasn’t going in. I looked away in disgust and then turned back to see the refs signaling the kick good. I still can’t believe the kick was so bad yet still went through. There has to be another f u c k i n g kicker somewhere that can do better. Has to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was tipped, then missed then I don't know what until everyone was jumping all over the place.

A 2018 kardiac moment for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

1) I wonder if hue was told from upstairs to use that last TO? It's 3rd & 1 saving that TO incase of mis-handled snap with still time on clock..2) the player personal is just odd?Fells/Corbett*(looks to pinched wrong gap or man)/Robinson*/Zeitler/Huelett/Hubbard/Harrison/Bitonio/Ogbah**. 3)Looks as simple as flipping Ogbah to left with Joel banging out wingman #25..There's no illegal formation on a FG attempt is there? am not sure Ogbah knew what to do? but Bitonio should have kicked him left

Who is upstairs that tells Hue when to use timeouts?

Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Who is upstairs that tells Hue when to use timeouts?

Z

When new WR coach came in, Al Saunders was reported as moved to booth. quickier calls for challenge flags & being right are also getting better imo..using that last TO to float match-ups would have been my call also and am not famous or Amos..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

When new WR coach came in, Al Saunders was reported as moved to booth. quickier calls for challenge flags & being right are also getting better imo..using that last TO to float match-ups would have been my call also and am not famous or Amos..  

Al is on the bench, I always see him congratulating players, but I'm sure we have a few  "eye in the sky" advisers.

Zombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Al is on the bench, I always see him congratulating players, but I'm sure we have a few  "eye in the sky" advisers.

Zombo

don't ya luv the word 'reported'..cus i've seen Al doing the same as you..maybe he build a guy they trust🎱 upstairs? then was sent to go give hugs at 80 years old🍺 cheers to winning Monday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now pretty much official- the kick was partially blocked, and it's on our spotter in the booth to see the Ravens loading up one side to break through.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lead announcer almost made it thru the game and OT without saying something stupid and/or ignorant... and then came:

"It went in"

SMH...

 

On the other hand Lofton wasn't too bad in his analyst role aside from a couple rules interpretations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The lead announcer almost made it thru the game and OT without saying something stupid and/or ignorant... and then came:

"It went in"

SMH...

 

On the other hand Lofton wasn't too bad in his analyst role aside from a couple rules interpretations.

Maybe he just confused which sport he was covering:

mickelson-backwards-shot.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The lead announcer almost made it thru the game and OT without saying something stupid and/or ignorant... and then came:"It went in"

SMH...

On the other hand Lofton wasn't too bad in his analyst role aside from a couple rules interpretations.

running 2nd look..go to just before the ward block. i hear sounds of dennis green "if ya want to crown him lord kicking king tucker,than crown him"😂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get a good angle on the ball, but my soccer instinct tells me that ball must have been tipped, for the next reason:

1. The speed is not constant. Footballs lose speed when reaching the bars, but they don't reach them that slow after being kicked that fast (if it had left the grass slowly, we could have seen that there was no tip). 

2. The angle it makes it's very weird. Looking at the video slowly (0:22) I'd say that part of the blame goes to the blocking unit, but also to the kicker. The angle he kicks it with I'd say it's a bit low, and that's why it gets tipped and then starts falling to cross the crossboard by a few inches. There's not that much distance to lose that much height at the speed he kicks it with. 

The good news for me is that watching the his kicking motion, he is really a soccer player. Hopefully he'll get to know that you have to kick it with a higher angle so you avoid getting tipped not losing any distance. The ball I'd say makes a 40º angle with the ground when leaving it and if I'm not mistaken 45º is more efficient and would have avoided it being tipped. 

 

 

FG.PNG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nero said:

I can't get a good angle on the ball, but my soccer instinct tells me that ball must have been tipped, for the next reason:

1. The speed is not constant. Footballs lose speed when reaching the bars, but they don't reach them that slow after being kicked that fast (if it had left the grass slowly, we could have seen that there was no tip). 

2. The angle it makes it's very weird. Looking at the video slowly (0:22) I'd say that part of the blame goes to the blocking unit, but also to the kicker. The angle he kicks it with I'd say it's a bit low, and that's why it gets tipped and then starts falling to cross the crossboard by a few inches. There's not that much distance to lose that much height at the speed he kicks it with. 

The good news for me is that watching the his kicking motion, he is really a soccer player. Hopefully he'll get to know that you have to kick it with a higher angle so you avoid getting tipped not losing any distance. The ball I'd say makes a 40º angle with the ground when leaving it and if I'm not mistaken 45º is more efficient and would have avoided it being tipped. 

 

 

FG.PNG

Wrong blocker. That was the outside guy. The inside guy got a hand on it without laying out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Wrong blocker. That was the outside guy. The inside guy got a hand on it without laying out.

I know it's not that guy in the frame I posted the one that tips the FG. I'm just pointing at the shooting angle on that frame.

If you watch the video, you can see how the one that gets inside penetration enters the shot and falls, and looking at the "height" he enters the shot, you can see why the ball was tipped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nero said:

I know it's not that guy in the frame I posted the one that tips the FG. I'm just pointing at the shooting angle on that frame.

If you watch the video, you can see how the one that gets inside penetration enters the shot and falls, and looking at the "height" he enters the shot, you can see why the ball was tipped.

So we know it was definitely partially blocked, but do we know how to fix the problem? I can't imagine the outrage that would've followed if the block prevented the FG from being good. 

Maybe someone who knows more about FG protection can help me out. I read in an article that our backup TE was responsible for blocking two people on the game winner. The author intimated that it was a special teams coaching mistake having our TE matched up on two people by himself. Is this normal? Or did we have a protection breakdown? Cuz let me tell you, things would've gotten UGLY if they blocked that kick from going through, lol. Also, when the Steelers potential winning kick was blocked, it appeared as if three Steelers ran over Bitonio to get the ball. Why not just rush three players at one blocker every time? So many NFL games come down to just a few points. Our special teams are such garbage, I just hope they don't cause us to lose any other games in horrific, heartbreaking fashion. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

So we know it was definitely partially blocked, but do we know how to fix the problem? I can't imagine the outrage that would've followed if the block prevented the FG from being good. 

Maybe someone who knows more about FG protection can help me out. I read in an article that our backup TE was responsible for blocking two people on the game winner. The author intimated that it was a special teams coaching mistake having our TE matched up on two people by himself. Is this normal? Or did we have a protection breakdown? Cuz let me tell you, things would've gotten UGLY if they blocked that kick from going through, lol. Also, when the Steelers potential winning kick was blocked, it appeared as if three Steelers ran over Bitonio to get the ball. Why not just rush three players at one blocker every time? So many NFL games come down to just a few points. Our special teams are such garbage, I just hope they don't cause us to lose any other games in horrific, heartbreaking fashion. Lol. 

That's all on coaching. Good ST = good coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

That's all on coaching. Good ST = good coach. 

I'd add coaching technique..Denzel Ward's arms are locked attacking kicking zone.Tony Jefferson shot through so quick, he forget to bring his arms up with him only leaving a swipe or punch at the ball that causes mostly tips.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nero said:

Hopefully he'll get to know that you have to kick it with a higher angle so you avoid getting tipped not losing any distance.

He hit the ball a tad too high, i.e.,  too much towards its middle.

He'll be fine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Is this normal? Or did we have a protection breakdown?

Simple math... 11 rushers in an all-out block effort vs. 9 blockers... means at least one player on the end of the line (usually the end towards the middle of the field) has two rushers to "handle".

His first responsibility is to disrupt the inside man, but to do so as wide as possible to make the outside man's path longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

He hit the ball a tad too high, i.e.,  too much towards its middle.

He'll be fine...

That's what I meant... I guess the mechanics of kicking a ball is similar to soccer: the lower you kick it, the higher the starting angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Nero said:

That's what I meant... I guess the mechanics of kicking a ball is similar to soccer: the lower you kick it, the higher the starting angle.

Ed Zachery...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

So we know it was definitely partially blocked, but do we know how to fix the problem? I can't imagine the outrage that would've followed if the block prevented the FG from being good. 

Maybe someone who knows more about FG protection can help me out. I read in an article that our backup TE was responsible for blocking two people on the game winner. The author intimated that it was a special teams coaching mistake having our TE matched up on two people by himself. Is this normal? Or did we have a protection breakdown? Cuz let me tell you, things would've gotten UGLY if they blocked that kick from going through, lol. Also, when the Steelers potential winning kick was blocked, it appeared as if three Steelers ran over Bitonio to get the ball. Why not just rush three players at one blocker every time? So many NFL games come down to just a few points. Our special teams are such garbage, I just hope they don't cause us to lose any other games in horrific, heartbreaking fashion. Lol. 

We went through this already- take a look at the left side of our FG unit, and the problems is obvious....   two of our guys, and four of theirs...   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stuck gamepass on earlier purely to have a look at the kick I definitely heard a noise when the ball went near the Ravens rusher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photo show Fells reaching for the edge man... who has stumbled and is going to the turf... while Corbett is getting stood up and moved inside.

The combo created the rush lane for the Raven that got a hand on the kick.

And speaking of getting stood up... Hubbard got freakin' owned. LAC's advanced scouts are going to note that.

2042613573_Screenshot_2018-10-09GregJosephGAMEWINNINGFIELDGOALBrownsvsRavensWeek5-YouTube.png.fa19a5b3412c62c93b0288a7ba03281b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We seem to have a real issue with blocked kicks. As far as the kicker, let's see what happens. Phil Dawson was not very good over 40 yards the 1st 5 years or so with us, so kickers CAN improve. Here are Dawson's early stats...they DID get better.

        PAT FG 0-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+  
Year Team G GS M A M A M A M A M A M A M A Lg Pts
1999 Cleveland (NFL) 15 0 23 24 8 12 0 0 2 2 3 5 3 5 0 0 49 47
2000 Cleveland (NFL) 16 0 17 17 14 17 3 3 4 4 5 5 2 5 0 0 45 59
2001 Cleveland (NFL) 16 0 29 30 22 25 0 0 10 10 8 9 4 6 0 0 48 95
2002 Cleveland (NFL) 16 0 34 35 22 28 0 0 9 10 6 8 5 7 2 3 52 100
2003 Cleveland (NFL) 13 0 20 21 18 21 2 2 7 7 4 5 3 5 2 2 52 74
2004 Cleveland (NFL) 16 0 28 28 24 29 0 0 11 11 6 8 6 9 1 1 50 100
2005 Cleveland (NFL) 16 0 19 21 27 29 2 2 11 11 9 11 5 5 0 0 44 100
2006 Cleveland (NFL) 16 0 25 25 21 29 0 0 5 6 9 10 6 12 1 1 51 88

Mike
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And speaking of getting stood up... Hubbard got freakin' owned. LAC's advanced scouts are going to note that.

2042613573_Screenshot_2018-10-09GregJosephGAMEWINNINGFIELDGOALBrownsvsRavensWeek5-YouTube.png.fa19a5b3412c62c93b0288a7ba03281b.png

I don't care if they note it. What I do care about is that WE note it and do something to fix it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×