THE BROWNS BOARD

Kavanaugh yes or no?

Westside Steve

On the poll question I just wanted to know if you believed him or her. Just that question. But seems like some of the guys had some opinions on whether or not you'd like to see him on the bench. So let us know why you would or would not like to see him confirmed. Now are you happy Tia? 🙂

It would be cool if we could keep this to Judicial philosophy instead of allegations.

WSS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MLD Woody said:

Why no poll?

There's already a poll question there Woody. I couldn't get an actual poll to come up on my Android. You can certainly give your opinion as to whether or not you'll think you'll be confirmed. I just wondering what everybody thought I bought him as a judge. As far as we can tell I mean.

WSS

Whether or not the accusations are true, some hit looking 15 year old doing questionable Sheet with an 18 year old is a side show compared to the identity politics of both parties.  Right now more so the Shmuckin' liberals.  There exist actual good reasons to not have Kavanaugh pushed through that in no way include these accusations. But they give so little a Sheet about the Constitution that they focus on the potential sexual deviance as their main point. 

Likewise for the party and some here that claim to be "Constitutionalists".   What a bunch of lip service being paid to that word.  Here's a guy, Kavvy, with legitimate claims to have worked on the erosion of the 4th and 5th amendments, on top of his person stance re: The (failed,cowpoop) Drug War, NDAA, Patriot Act and 2nd amendment.  Yet if the dude has an R next to his name, he has to be ight then...? 

It's a god damn soap opera.  All of it. 

29 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Whether or not the accusations are true, some hit looking 15 year old doing questionable Sheet with an 18 year old is a side show compared to the identity politics of both parties.  Right now more so the Shmuckin' liberals.  There exist actual good reasons to not have Kavanaugh pushed through that in no way include these accusations. But they give so little a Sheet about the Constitution that they focus on the potential sexual deviance as their main point. 

Likewise for the party and some here that claim to be "Constitutionalists".   What a bunch of lip service being paid to that word.  Here's a guy, Kavvy, with legitimate claims to have worked on the erosion of the 4th and 5th amendments, on top of his person stance re: The (failed,cowpoop) Drug War, NDAA, Patriot Act and 2nd amendment.  Yet if the dude has an R next to his name, he has to be ight then...? 

I thought Collins did a good job in showing that Ford had a weak case and the evidence didn't support her claims and the accused should have a presumption of innocence. On judicial philosophy though I had concerns as she also did a good job in showing there might not be a hill of beans difference between Kavanaugh and Merrick Garland on judicial philosophy except one has a D and the other an R. 

Excerpt from Collins speech:

"that he (Kavanaugh) and Chief Judge Merrick Garland voted the same way in 93 percent of the cases that they heard together. Indeed Chief Judge Garland joined in more than 96 percent of the majority opinions authored by Judge Kavanaugh, dissenting only once.

Tia some guys called themselves conservatives I don't necessarily just because so many of the liberal issues I have no problem with or might even support. On the other hand I'm a little bit further right on the fourth amendment and Fifth Amendment just as a right or wrong thing. I don't want a dangerous criminal let out on the street because somebody didn't read him his rights in his particular dialect of Spanish or Ebonics. But it seems people always want a jurist who will respect precedent and the Patriot Act has already been decided. I understand some people might want to dismantle the Patriot Act, if you do I might disagree.

WSS

I thought Ford's testimony was compelling. I wouldn't be surprised if she is truly a victim of sexual assault. Unfortunately, human memory is unreliable, especially in cases of trauma. People have been sent to prison for rapes they didn't commit, and they're now getting overturned due to DNA evidence. Given that there's not a shred of contemporary evidence that he did this. Given that the event occurred 30+ years ago. Given the politically convenient timing of the accusation. Given that you are innocent until proven guilty. Kavanaugh has a right to be a judge on the SCOTUS.

I hope the person who leaked the memo gets discovered and crucified. That act ruined the lives and reputations of Kavanaugh, Ford, and their families.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/what-s-next-kavanaugh-all-eyes-2-key-senators-chamber-n917106

Of course before this completely unprecedented fit of rage by the Democrats nobody spoke ill of this judge. I understand they are mad about Merrick Garland

WSS

They fail to recognize however that republicans confirmed sotomayer and kagel, two liberal women judges with nine r votes for sotomayer and 6 for kagel. Since they're all racist woman hating rapists this comes as a surprise. 

Gorsuch, by the way, had 3 d votes and the democrats attempted to filibuster his nomination. 

So...you know...maybe kavanaugh had a point when he said this was mostly revenge

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It's nonsense to claim Kavanaugh worked on the "erosion of the 4th and 5th Amendments".

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/07/judge-kavanaugh-on-the-fourth-amendment/

and, it's nonsense to claim that the state AND fed can bring charges for the same crime.

That's bs. if you are acquitted in Federal court, why the bleep is it proper to cost you twice for a lawyer, etc etc etc...

to be tried a second time, by a state that wants to make you an example of some political hay they want to make?

Just a nonsense claim/talking point.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-prohibition-against-double-jeopardy.html

and I applaud Kavanaugh's stance on our 2nd Amendment. It is per the Founding Father's intent and words of the Constitution.

Justice Kennedy didn't undermine the 4th Amendment.etc.

nope - no legimate claims. Just politically motivated hack jobs at a justice that will NOT be a ginsburg, or a few others on the court already.

Remember? NO LITMUS TEST.

unless it's in your favor, ya?

3 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

They fail to recognize however that republicans confirmed sotomayer and kagel, two liberal women judges with nine r votes for sotomayer and 6 for kagel. Since they're all racist woman hating rapists this comes as a surprise. 

Gorsuch, by the way, had 3 d votes and the democrats attempted to filibuster his nomination. 

So...you know...maybe kavanaugh had a point when he said this was mostly revenge

No doubt. And Merrick Garland really should have had a hearing. They could have easily voted him down so I don't see the problem for the hearing. I'm sure they can whip up phony outrage as easily as the Democrats can. Well maybe not quite but you know...

WSS

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I would be a no. The accusations didn’t affect me as much as his defense.  

Come on bacon if somebody made such an awful accusation against you which could have seriously affected your entire life wouldn't you be angry? Really really really angry?

WSS

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Come on bacon if somebody made such an awful accusation against you which could have seriously affected your entire life wouldn't you be angry? Really really really angry?

WSS

Absolutely, and call me old fashion, I’d hope the most logical, reasonable minds in charge of making the hardest of decisions that affect our nation could reign in their emotions and provide a sound explanation.  I don’t need to hear I was top of my class, Captain of the basketball team and did my church service.  If he simply stated over and over, “I did not do what I was accused of” that would’ve been sufficient to me.  I don’t need your “good guy resume” in the “my dad can beat up your dad” tone.

I'm pretty certain the dems would then ridicule him for no passion that would be normal for having your excellent name

and entire life and family completely dragged through stinking mud for democratic sudden litmus test reasons.

that is what is bs.

The worst thing in the world is if he was an unfeeling robot in his own defense - the entire claim would flip.

"he's a liar - any innocent American Dad, Father, Husband and Son would be really upset at their lives being destroyed"

I would like to think the circus ends today with Kavanaugh's confirmation but that won't be the case with many demonrats. They are already talking about holding hearings (if they take back the House) to try to have Kavanaugh impeached. The Soros paid mobs in DC will continue on. Speaking of mobs that is the way many demonrats would like to rule by mob. People need to wake up with what they were trying to do with Kavanaugh. They were on a mission to destroy him by any means possible including doing away with a principle that dates back to Moses such as the presumption of innocence.

6 minutes ago, FairHooker11 said:

like the 2016 election (and the upcoming midterms) 

Ill still hold to my disbelief in the confirmation until it is officially announced today...

51-49 

you  guys watch Browns games right?

Collins impressed me even as a liberal republican to be a woman of principle and I don't think the mobs surrounding her and attacking her will change her vote. I have doubts with Flake but even if he flips now they would still have the votes. Manchin wants to be re-elected in W. Va. and he isn't going to change his vote. Never say never but I think later this evening it will Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

15 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

What is it about the 2nd 4th or 5th Amendment that you are concerned with having Kavanaugh on the bench? 

WSS

2 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Collins impressed me even as a liberal republican to be a woman of principle and I don't think the mobs surrounding her and attacking her will change her vote. I have doubts with Flake but even if he flips now they would still have the votes. Manchin wants to be re-elected in W. Va. and he isn't going to change his vote. Never say never but I think later this evening it will Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

and like you said in the other post - not without repercussions 

especially if the mid terms dont bring in more reasonable people 

9 minutes ago, FairHooker11 said:

and like you said in the other post - not without repercussions 

especially if the mid terms dont bring in more reasonable people 

The devil always overplays his hand. Polls are now showing a big shift towards the republicans. After seeing the shameful antics of the left to destroy Kavanaugh by any means possible I think many people are  now waking up. They couldn't be waking up at a better time. The odds are still against the republicans keeping control of the House but I think they now have a fighting chance.  In the Senate I predict they will pick up three seats and hopefully even more with some dem senators in heavily red states having to defend their no vote against Kavanaugh.

Archived