THE BROWNS BOARD

Going for 2

Ibleedbrown

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/5581/hue-jacksons-new-mantra-go-for-two

I know this was noticed by many here, but this is the first significant pub l’ve seen On the Browns’ proclivity for 2 point conversion attempts. Apparently it’s a thing with this team. 

I kinda dig it. It’s the sorta balls out stuff balls were made for, and it’s like touchdown practice. 

5 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

It’s what the Steelers started doing last year. They veered away from it for some reason. 

The article mentions it may be a Haley thing. Maybe having 2 erect nipples all the time makes a guy prone to going for 2? I dunno. 2 points. 2 nipples. 

56 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The article mentions it may be a Haley thing. Maybe having 2 erect nipples all the time makes a guy prone to going for 2? I dunno. 2 points. 2 nipples. 

I will say I did really like the play design of all the 2pt conversions we ran. We were a Callaway drop away from getting all three actually. Getting Duke in on the runs and spreading them out really gives a lot of options.

I don't think you should start a game out going for 2pt conversions.

I think you let them come to you.  When, in the course of the game, the #'s make sense...then you try it.  Like going up by 9.

edit -  or if you have a God-Awful kicker.

I still think the best argument against going 2-crazy is that you show your best short yardage plays.

17 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The article mentions it may be a Haley thing.

Makes a lot of sense given the Pittsburgh factor, but the call is still under the HC's control.

21 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't think you should start a game out going for 2pt conversions.

I think you let them come to you.  When, in the course of the game, the #'s make sense...then you try it.  Like going up by 9.

edit -  or if you have a God-Awful kicker.

You mean get the 2 pt conversation to go up 9?

That is the worst time to go for 2. It looks good when you get it to have a 2 score lead, but when you dont get it you leave yourself with a 7 pt lead instead of 8

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

You mean get the 2 pt conversation to go up 9?

That is the worst time to go for 2. It looks good when you get it to have a 2 score lead, but when you dont get it you leave yourself with a 7 pt lead instead of 8

You don't agree with a single thing I say....which is just the way I like it.  

If you score a TD to go up 7, if you go for two and make it, you have a 2 score lead at 9 points.

If you fail on the 2pnt conversion then you're still up 7.  The opponent will need to score a TD...and will kick the extra point to tie you.  He MOST PROBABLY will not go for 2 and potentially lose.

If you score a TD to go up 7 and kick the extra point....then you're opponent will go for 2 to tie you. 

--  So!  Whether you're up 7 or 8, the opponent will try to TIE your score.  Therefore, it's a no-brainer.  If you're up 7 in the 4th quarter...go for 2.

12 hours ago, Orion said:

You don't agree with a single thing I say....which is just the way I like it.  

If you score a TD to go up 7, if you go for two and make it, you have a 2 score lead at 9 points.

If you fail on the 2pnt conversion then you're still up 7.  The opponent will need to score a TD...and will kick the extra point to tie you.  He MOST PROBABLY will not go for 2 and potentially lose.

If you score a TD to go up 7 and kick the extra point....then you're opponent will go for 2 to tie you. 

--  So!  Whether you're up 7 or 8, the opponent will try to TIE your score.  Therefore, it's a no-brainer.  If you're up 7 in the 4th quarter...go for 2.

Absolutely no coach is going to have that mindset, I know I wouldn't.

I knew what your reasoning was. But the likelihood of achieving the 2 pt conversion is less than 50%, which works both ways, for your team and the opponent

Again, fan view vs coach view

Archived