A Case For Hue

roach

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ouch.

IKR! 😪

And my recording cut off as BLT was about to punt to us... 😖 ... so no informed analysis available.

But don't know why that should stop me...

18 hours ago, hx214 said:

Haley is in love with the cute play Sheet. 

Double fake Jet Sweep on the one yard line 3rd and goal that gets stuffed against Oakland when you have Carlos Hyde on your team???

What other "cute" plays did Haley call Sunday?

Aside from one short pass to Landry that he broke for 27 yd, we hadn't moved the ball in OT.

So I get what Haley was trying to do to jump start us, but reverses tend to work when you have a D on their heels... and that was not the case.

Or was it?

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

uhhh, im assuming if u have an OC ur not being apprised of every call. I was more incredulous of hue not knowing about the 2pt co versions. Im absolutely sure haley did that reverse without consulting hue. 

No time to consult on every call, but Hue should be able to hear the calls being made by both his coordinators thru his headset.

However, since the reverse was the first call of the series Hue may have been aware of it early enough to have overruled it.

Let's assume it, even if it was his fault, Hue wouldn't recognise it. 

I don't know why he has that habit of talking about others and throwing them under the bus, really. If it is a team when you are messing it up (last year he did, greatly), it is also a team when the rest of your staff/players make mistakes. 

On 10/7/2018 at 4:49 PM, Tour2ma said:

This place is getting so hindsight happy it's ridiculous...

It's not hindsight when we're saying it as it happens.

-------------

Let's go back to the Raiders game.  At the end, we had 4th and inches from our 19.  We get 6 inches on a QB sneak and the game's over.  SOOOOoooo....OK, ya don't want to try the QB sneak because ya don't believe in the numbers that say it's a high percentage play,  FINE.....does that mean that you can't even FAKE like you're gonna go and end the game right here and now?  And perhaps get them to jump offsides?  The defense would be in a very tense situation.  They can't give up not 6 inches.  

Nahh.  No need to try and draw them offsides.  No coach would do that.

9 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

There is no chance a HC is letting a call be made at that stage without any input. Hard Knocks told us quite clearly that Hue makes all the calls.

Hmm must have missed that episode, then again I watched them all. Haley is calling the plays

4 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Hmm must have missed that episode, then again I watched them all. Haley is calling the plays

You missed the scene where Hue tells the co-ordinators he can do whatever he wants because he’s the HC? 

No HC is unaware of a play call at that stage of the game. If he is, what’s the use of having one at all

2 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

You missed the scene where Hue tells the co-ordinators he can do whatever he wants because he’s the HC? 

No HC is unaware of a play call at that stage of the game. If he is, what’s the use of having one at all

Definitey missed him saying those exact words to the staff. If it’s in reference to the scene about testing players it’s quite a stretch. 

1 minute ago, jcam222 said:

Definitey missed him saying those exact words to the staff. If it’s in reference to the scene about testing players it’s quite a stretch. 

Hue said this in reference to Haley complaining that his players need to be on the field practicing, and not on the sidelines nursing injuries. Hue reminded Haley that at the end of the day, he's calling the shots, and if he feels a player should sit out, he'll sit out. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

It's not hindsight when we're saying it as it happens.

-------------

Let's go back to the Raiders game.  At the end, we had 4th and inches from our 19.  We get 6 inches on a QB sneak and the game's over.  SOOOOoooo....OK, ya don't want to try the QB sneak because ya don't believe in the numbers that say it's a high percentage play,  FINE.....does that mean that you can't even FAKE like you're gonna go and end the game right here and now?  And perhaps get them to jump offsides?  The defense would be in a very tense situation.  They can't give up not 6 inches.  

Nahh.  No need to try and draw them offsides.  No coach would do that.

He said he wouldn't go for it on 4th down, didn't even give it a second thought- to end the game in regulation. Even if you miss getting it in that situation the Defense gets a short field to hold them to just a FG or allow the quick score and 2pt to try, giving you a chance with time still on the clock. 

Then ONE week later in overtime, he goes for it on 4th and 7 or whatever it was... 

I'm not hating on Hue, I'm critiquing his coaching decisions and approach. Ultimately, his methods are why we won one game in 2 years, also why we have 2 losses this year. We should be undefeated right now. If he doesn't man up and quit being so damn stubborn and hard headed he's going to cost us many more losses. However, if he can just swallow his pride and listen to the people around him and man up, we could find ourselves in the hunt.  

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I'm not hating on Hue, I'm critiquing his coaching decisions and approach. Ultimately, his methods are why we won one game in 2 years, also why we have 2 losses this year. We should be undefeated right now. If he doesn't man up and quit being so damn stubborn and hard headed he's going to cost us many more losses. However, if he can just swallow his pride and listen to the people around him and man up, we could find ourselves in the hunt.  

I know i'm going to regret asking this.  But how exactly did Hue and his decisions cost us the Saints game?    I realize the hindsight kings are saying he should've gone for it on 4th down after the bad overturn against the Raiders but for the life of me, I can't figure out what Hue had to do with the Saints game?

He chose to start Taylor over Baker and wouldn't even entertain the notion. Which at this point is a forgone conclusion that Baker was and is the better QB. Unless, you think he got better in the 5 quarter he sat from the beginning of the Saints game till Tyrod went down in the 2nd Quarter of the Jets game. 

Hue sees these guys everyday, away from the media, unless he's completely Hueless, I mean clueless he should have known that Bake was legit.

7 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I just overall get burnt out on the Hue hate. I prefer to focus on the fact we were 1-31 and now are 2-2-1 , lead the league in many categories, are nationally relevant and make for damn exciting Sunday’s :)

7 hours ago, Mark O said:

I know i'm going to regret asking this.  But how exactly did Hue and his decisions cost us the Saints game?    I realize the hindsight kings are saying he should've gone for it on 4th down after the bad overturn against the Raiders but for the life of me, I can't figure out what Hue had to do with the Saints game?

We just have to understand that there are some folks on this board who are going to blame Hue for every loss & refuse to give him credit after any win. Sad but true.

Mike 

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

We just have to understand that there are some folks on this board who are going to blame Hue for every loss & refuse to give him credit after any win. Sad but true.

Mike 

I still have my doubts about Hue's ability to get this team where it ultimately wants to go. Gun to my head, I think he's an average head coach at best. 

But you nailed it right on the head. I wasn't kidding when I said that I guarantee there were posters on here who were secretly pissed that the Browns won Sunday because it meant they couldn't go on one of their Hue rants. You have posters on here who literally shoehorn their hate of Hue into every topic. 

I will say that Hue's one redeeming quality..

Is that the team plays their hearts out for him.

He sucked donkey d!ck the last two years, but now that this team has talent..

It has a much different feel.. 

Reminds me of the Butch Davis era Browns.. might not scare a lot of teams, but will play their hearts out til the end.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:41 AM, roach said:

Before I get into this, let me say that I’m not a Hue fan.  Over his first 32 games, his play calling, clock management, etc.were awful.  

This year?  Game 1 should have been a win if we had a placekicker (Dorsey).  Game 2 should have been a win if we had a placekicker (Dorsey).  Game 4 should have been a win if we had not been robbed by the refs.  We’re 1-2-1, but could be 4-0.

I still don’t like Hue.  But I don’t like him less than I used to.

Was it Dorsey.  We had 2 kickers in competition.  I forget the other guys name, but maybe the coach had a lot of input, or maybe even said he wanted gonzo because he had the experience.

As for Hue, I don't like him either.   As long as we win, I don't care who coaches the team.

5 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike 

I am not sure how sad it is.   Hue still has a ton of "prove it to us"  left to go.   The distrust in him was earned by him.  You don't earn back that trust with the snap of a finger.  

5 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike 

I think you're right and I'll go a step further.  I think there are actually people who visit this board who are upset when the Browns win because then they can't bitch and moan about it.   Some people just choose to be miserable and this board definitely proves that to be true;

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am not sure how sad it is.   Hue still has a ton of "prove it to us"  left to go.   The distrust in him was earned by him.  You don't earn back that trust with the snap of a finger.  

Folks are certainly entitled to distrust or dislike Hue. That's their right. What is sad is the fact that some of them bash him every chance they get (loss) & STILL bash him when we win. That crap gets old.

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I still have my doubts about Hue's ability to get this team where it ultimately wants to go. Gun to my head, I think he's an average head coach at best. 

But you nailed it right on the head. I wasn't kidding when I said that I guarantee there were posters on here who were secretly pissed that the Browns won Sunday because it meant they couldn't go on one of their Hue rants. You have posters on here who literally shoehorn their hate of Hue into every topic. 

Thank you Dutch. Perfectly stated!

Mike

11 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike 

And there are some folks who can't see the forest for the trees.

Does anyone have ANY idea why the Browns are better this year?  HINT:  It's NOT because of Hue.

1)  John Dorsey!   He traded for talent...because NO talent was gonna come here on their own.  -  WITH that talent in hand he was able to entice FA's.  And then he made some good draft picks and signed some pretty good undrafted's.

2)  Baker Mayfield!  I was watching (like most of us) how friggin' lousy our team was on that Thursday night football game against the Jets.  I told Mrs. Wife, "We're not gonna win a single game again this year."  Offense couldn't stay on the field, defense had to play the game.   THEN!!!!!!!!!!!  Tyrod got hurt and Baker entered the game......and all of a sudden, we had a football team!  

Dorsey upgraded our talent level and got us a QB.   Hue?  Well, he continues to be Hue...and as Rutigliano likes to say, "Hue continues to say the wrong thing at the right times."

12 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike 

I am content keeping the blame on Hue only on the global warming and the war in Syria.

21 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

It's not as if Hue never made a WTF call in the past two seasons.

He might have liked the reverse call... Hell... It's even possible that Hue made the call.

21 hours ago, PoeticG said:

He said he wouldn't go for it on 4th down, didn't even give it a second thought- to end the game in regulation. Even if you miss getting it in that situation the Defense gets a short field to hold them to just a FG or allow the quick score and 2pt to try, giving you a chance with time still on the clock. 

Then ONE week later in overtime, he goes for it on 4th and 7 or whatever it was... 

Which is exactly backwards from the traditional "common wisdom" which says that go for the win on the road and play for OT at home.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

And there are some folks who can't see the forest for the trees.

Does anyone have ANY idea why the Browns are better this year?  HINT:  It's NOT because of Hue.

1)  John Dorsey!   He traded for talent...because NO talent was gonna come here on their own.  -  WITH that talent in hand he was able to entice FA's.  And then he made some good draft picks and signed some pretty good undrafted's.

2)  Baker Mayfield!  I was watching (like most of us) how friggin' lousy our team was on that Thursday night football game against the Jets.  I told Mrs. Wife, "We're not gonna win a single game again this year."  Offense couldn't stay on the field, defense had to play the game.   THEN!!!!!!!!!!!  Tyrod got hurt and Baker entered the game......and all of a sudden, we had a football team!  

Dorsey upgraded our talent level and got us a QB.   Hue?  Well, he continues to be Hue...and as Rutigliano likes to say, "Hue continues to say the wrong thing at the right times."

Yes talent was upgraded by design and support of ownership after th most aggressive 2 year  roster tear down in history. Haslams have admitted it was to aggressive and gave the team no chance to succeed. That’s not on Hue. If he flops with a talented roster then you can hang it on him. Right now we are 2-2-1, we are winning games and are nationally relevant. 

3 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Yes talent was upgraded by design and support of ownership after th most aggressive 2 year  roster tear down in history. Haslams have admitted it was to aggressive and gave the team no chance to succeed. That’s not on Hue.  Agreed.  That was Sashi and his henchmen thinking that the team couldn't be made any worse...so they let what few good players we had leave.

If he flops with a talented roster then you can hang it on him. Right now we are 2-2-1, we are winning games and are nationally relevant. 

We COULD have 3 wins and 1 loss if he did the QB sneak needing a few inches against the Raiders.  And perhaps could've STOLE the win without even snapping the ball had he had the team MAKE LIKE they were gonna sneak it.  

Even though Sashi trashed the roster...a better coach could've gotten more than 1 freakin' win in two full seasons. -----  In 2016 we had the ball 1st and goal at the Steelers one yard line, in OT.....and instead of PLAYING FOOTBALL and smashing the thing in for the win, he lost us the game.  He is not the reason that our talent is better.  Trust me on this one.  Oh wait, that's one of HIS lines.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It's not as if Hue never made a WTF call in the past two seasons.

He might have liked the reverse call... Hell... It's even possible that Hue made the call.

Which is exactly backwards from the traditional "common wisdom" which says that go for the win on the road and play for OT at home.

Yeah Tour- going for it (I believe it was 4th and five) near midfield could easily have blown up in his face. the Ravens have one of the best long range kickers in the league...  

On 10/9/2018 at 10:53 AM, LondonBrown said:

There is no chance a HC is letting a call be made at that stage without any input. Hard Knocks told us quite clearly that Hue makes all the calls.

With all due respect to your accurate post, I made the point LONG, LONG, LONG ago that the OC and Dc are nothing more than coffee fetchers. I was arguing with Hoorta the Hoola Hoop, and frilly Pants FLugels for years that only an idiot would believe that ANY head coach is going to just sit back and let assistants determine his fortune and reputation.

It isn't just Hue, though. EVERY HEAD COACH calls the shots. It can be no other way. If reality was as Hoola Hoop and Frilly think it is, why The Fukck would a team even need a head coach? Why pay a HC $ millions if the coordinators are calling the shots? Flugel maintained that Crennell was the genius behind Belichik and Sewage the genius behind Ozzie..........Fukcking idiots

He is how it works. The OC creates a playbook. The HC tells him what type of offense he is allowed to run, he removes the plays from the playbook he doesn't want and he tells the OC what options of plays he has to call given various situations. The OC doesn't waiver, create, invent or come up with clever tricks on the spot. He answers to the HC.

As far as Hue's job goes? As goes Baker, so too will go Hue.

The QB makes the OL, the receivers, the defense, AND the HC.

50% of NFL playbooks consist of Paul brown plays. The remaining 50% are plays that all the assistants who change teams constantly shared with all 32 teams. There is not much innovation and novelty in any NFL playbook. The daring, risk and boldness in which plays are called has everything to do with the QB, and how much the HC tursts the QB to rip it up.

Without Favre Holmgren was the Quaker Oats spokesman. WIthout Bradshaw, Noll was pedestrian. Hue got lucky. Baker saved the Browns and he saved Hue. Boom

Archived