THE BROWNS BOARD

The Day The Music (Finally) Died

TexasAg1969

Peggy Sue Gerron of Buddy Holly and the Crickets fame died at age 76 in Holly's hometown of Lubbock and was on the front page of the local paper when we got in there to stay overnight last night. Here is the article:

http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20181001/peggy-sue-gerron-inspiration-for-buddy-holly-song-dies-in-lubbock 

I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.

Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Oddly, I will be going to see the Surf Ballroom and the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly in just a little over a week from now.

Amazing movie done well by Gary Busey.

The Buddy Holly Story is a 1978 biographical film which tells the life story of rock musician Buddy Holly.[4] It features an Academy Award-winning musical score, adapted by Joe Renzetti and Oscar-nominated lead performance by Gary Busey.

The Buddy Holly Story
Buddy holly story cover.jpg
The Buddy Holly Story DVD cover
Directed by Steve Rash
Produced by Fred Bauer
Edward H. Cohen
Frances Avrut-Bauer
Fred T. Kuehnert
Written by Novel:
John Goldrosen
Story:
Alan Swyer
Screenplay:
Robert Gittler
Starring Gary Busey
Don Stroud
Charles Martin Smith
Conrad Janis
Paul Mooney
Music by Joe Renzetti
Cinematography Stevan Larner
Edited by David E. Blewitt
James Seidelman
Distributed by Columbia Pictures
Release date
  • May 18, 1978
Running time
113 minutes
Country United States
Language English
Budget $1.2 million[1] or $2 million[2]
Box office $14.3 million[3]

The film also stars Don Stroud, Charles Martin Smith, Conrad Janis, William Jordan, and Maria Richwine, who played Maria Elena Holly.

It was adapted by Robert Gittler from Buddy Holly: His Life and Music, the biography of Holly by John Goldrosen, and was directed by Steve Rash.

The Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson) had been a D.J. in my hometown at the time. Interesting bio here from Wiki. He wrote some pretty famous songs besides his own "Chantilly Lace". Running Bear, White Lightnin', Little Red Riding Hood were all his. His loss was felt more in Beaumont than the other two were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bopper

17 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.

Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.

You're still young.  Believe me.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I guess I did not realize that Eddie Cochrane died in an auto crash just a year later.

Also.....Don McLean was the cousin of one of the original members of The Rats,   which is Westside Steve's band which was eventually renamed Easy Street.

I  knew Cochrane dies shortly thereafter, but I did not know his connection to the others. Nor did I know Bobby Vee got his start that night as a local fill-in after the plane crash.

Archived