THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Phucks Cleveland Twice in 4 Weeks

Flugel

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

If anything on that run they spotted hyde short. Dean on the broadcast was literally mouth agape when they overturned it. I truly hope the nfl does a true investigation, but they wont. 

Haslam needs to RIP them a new one. We won this damn game.

the first spot was inches short of where they corrected it, and the replay was not

conclusive, and it was ruled a first down and...

whatever. The NFL will apologize again. whoopdedoo dammit.

I'm going to break my "24 Hour Post" rule again, but I'll try and keep it somewhat neutral. 

I have never, and I mean NEVER seen a spot like that changed. Not only that, but the original spot was atrocious, and the ref moved it back from his original line. I didn't even think it was CLOSE. I celebrated. I high-fived my family. I screamed "FINALLY!" but I should've known. Heck, I DID know we were going to lose. The writing was all over the wall. It was the smallest 14 point lead in league history. The ref signaled first down by the smallest of margins, I actually let myself celebrate. I hugged my wife and screamed in happiness, so much that my cranky dog came staggering out of her kennel and joined in the fun. Deep down, I knew better. 

The refs weren't going to let us win the game. Obviously we know that, we're used to it. Maybe not used to it, but we're getting there. It's how it is, guys. I was wrong about the score, but was right about the margin of loss. The close ones hurt the most. You want the really bad news? This was our last/best chance to actually have a winning record. Now, there's no telling how many years we'll wait. It certainly won't be this season. Good news? Baker is the real deal. He'll level out those mistakes, and he'll be just fine. We found our guy. Unfortunately, he learned first hand what it means to be a Cleveland Brown. He now understands why so many rookies don't want to come here. It's a career death knell. 

You know what really hurts? Every one of us knew the Raiders were going to score a touchdown and get the conversion. None of us had faith in our defense, and it's obvious why. We won last week because we played a rookie. We don't get to play rookies every week, unfortunately. 

This loss will crush our team. It will completely demoralize us, and send us on a losing spiral we haven't seen since....well...I guess last year. Look at our schedule. See some wins? Me either. Baker made mistakes that cost us the game, and the refs made sure they counted. He's a rookie, it'll happen every week. But you know what? I'm cool with it. I'm cool with it because Baker will be very good, I really believe that. But right now? Right now we lose. We lose in awful fashion. We lose when we think we have the game won. We lose when all we need is one inch, we get the inch, but the NFL takes it away. We lose because...well...we just do. 

And it's only getting started. I know this one hurts, it really does. But we're starting a rookie QB, and there will be more downs than ups. There's always a steep learning curve. This won't the first time, and we'll have many more losses just as bad as this one. What I do know is that Baker will also have a magical game here and there, even as a rookie. He'll be the one winning at the last second. When will that happen? Who knows. But it will happen eventually, and when Baker finally "gets it" (and he will, I feel it)....good times will come to the Browns. 

The quick whistles offset each other since they were really quick on the one on the Lynch run and then the fumble that we would've recovered.   The truly bad call is the overturn of the first down that basically cost us the game.    However, the defense still had an 8 point lead, less than 2 minutes and let them cruise down for the TD and the 2 point.

5 minutes ago, Mark O said:

The quick whistles offset each other since they were really quick on the one on the Lynch run and then the fumble that we would've recovered.   The truly bad call is the overturn of the first down that basically cost us the game.    However, the defense still had an 8 point lead, less than 2 minutes and let them cruise down for the TD and the 2 point.

exactly it was are game to lose and we showed everyone that we were up to the task 

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

well, krystal ball, if they had known they'd score that much, they would have kicked the extra points I suppose.

Man, I would always take the point. Don't get cute, don't try and reinvent the wheel, don't try to show everyone how ballzy you are... take the phuckin' point. Don't go for 2 until the predicted remaining possessions for both teams, always dictated by time left, current game flow along with score say you HAVE to...... anything else is like hitting on 18. It's not against the rules and you may even get lucky every now and again, but percentages say it's the wrong strategy. 

Good coaches win close games, and bad coaches watch good coaches beat 'em. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/30/17921052/marshawn-lynch-beast-mode-mad-refs-whistle-raiders-browns

I get it - but his forward progress was stopped and was going to get clobbered again while in the grasp of another defensive player.

So the ref blew the whistle as Lynch spun away. If he hadn't blown the whistle and lynch got clobbered and didn't get away they would have been enraged that the ref didn't whistle the play dead.

whatever. that is a judgement mistake if anything, not a deliberate uncalled for overturning the Browns first down.

Even their consultant ref said he couldn't understand them reversing it.

then there is the fumble they wouldn't give the Browns.

Then ....never mind. I'll just wait for the NFL office to say they are sorry, and the refs ROF,L.

The NFL and the refs handed that game to the Raiders! That was an obvious 1st down to ice the game with 1:20 on the clock. It was victory formation and a win,taken away! Its collusion at its finest! I will never see it any other way. The NFL as a whole has it out for the Browns! I will Love my Browns tilI I die!!! But this Sheet show called the NFL has lost a good fan!

With living where I do, the Browns are never on TV. I can understand everyone's frustrations, and I followed it best I could and have seen the 2 big plays in question in videos. Again, remember I try to look at things objectively and look at it in coaches glasses. My take:

The Carr fumble was ABSOLUTELY a fumble. 

The spot, his elbow is down and the ball LOOKS about at the line to gain. Remember though, the yellow line isnt official, just a reference for the tv audience. But there is nothing I see to overturn it one way or another.

I cant comment on the other plays that have been mentioned. Again I certainly understand the frustration, fans and want team to succeed, but I dont think it was a fix. And nobody should even begin to think of a minuscule chance of an overturn, it just wont happen.

The officials may have done terrible, and they are supposed to be the best in their field and the highest paid, but they are still human. Put the angry emotions aside and just remember that. They are certainly just as susceptible to mistakes as any of us. Doesnt make it right, but just the reality. If being the highest ranked and highest paid in your field, then Lebron James wouldn't miss a shot, Mike Trout would never strike out, Kirk Cousins would never have an interception.

There are a couple other shots I have of the Hyde-play. They include a Raider (#99) targeting the back of Hyde's helmet with the crown of his.

Sorry T, but I can't see the tip of the ball..... How far under his chin is it? Where is a corresponding line to move it back 71mm? I have never, and I do mean ever, seen this type of call overturned in a game, especially with so much on the line.

You show this to 100 people and you may get 50/50...... this type of overturn needs to be 91/9.   

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

There are a couple other shots I have of the Hyde-play. They include a Raider (#99) targeting the back of Hyde's helmet with the crown of his.

And a couple other Blatant holds that were no calls...  On further review, we got jobbed on the Carr non-fumble...  

5 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

The Carr fumble was ABSOLUTELY a fumble.  

The spot, his elbow is down and the ball LOOKS about at the line to gain. Remember though, the yellow line isnt official, just a reference for the tv audience. But there is nothing I see to overturn it one way or another.

Completely agree on the Carr fumble. "In the grasp", a call you rarely hear made anymore, is accompanied by a whistle. There was no whistle. As for "forward progress"... Carr was still being pushed forward by an OL... so that dog don't hunt.

What you say about the yellow line is true, but in this case its accuracy was verified by the measurement that took place. If anything, the line was just inside of the stick.

During 1/2 time of SNF Tony Dungey just said "Replay is supposed to change clear and obvious mistakes, and there was nothing clear or obvious about that". 

6 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Sorry T, but I can't see the tip of the ball..... How far under his chin is it? Where is a corresponding line to move it back 71mm? I have never, and I do mean ever, seen this type of call overturned in a game, especially with so much on the line.

You show this to 100 people and you may get 50/50...... this type of overturn needs to be 91/9.   

Don't know what to tell ya, D... It's plain as day to me.

His chin is short of the line. The back half of his helmet is over the line.

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

During 1/2 time of SNF Tony Dungey just said "Replay is supposed to change clear and obvious mistakes, and there was nothing clear or obvious about that". 

I heard him.

I disagree.

The photo is clear to me.

The replay is even clearer.

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

There is no way from that photo that you can tell his elbow is down. 

Or where the line to gain is since the yellow line is not official and there are no official lines anywhere close in the shot to use as a landmark.... and not to mention the angle of the camera. 

Any greasy public defender on Law and Order SVU would get this thrown out long before indictment.  

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

There is no way from that photo that you can tell his elbow is down. 

I think it was actually down earlier. The pic I posted was the last of a series of nine that I took. In the prior two his forearm slides along the top of the ground.

Archived