THE BROWNS BOARD

Peppers

Tacosman

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

What a fair and measured response. Thank you. I don't agree with all of it, but at least it isn't the typical "CUT PEPPERS HE'S TERRIBLE WHAT A BUST!" nonsense we see far too often on here. Like we have a section of the fanbase waiting and rooting for him to make the tiniest mistakes so they can pounce. Again, I will say that PFF rated him as our highest rated defender against the Saints. This idea that, because one TD was given up in front of him that may or may not have been his fault, he's now the worst player ever, is laughable. 

Peppers  actually played a lot less snaps in this game than Kindred. They had been rotating, but he was getting more. I'm not sure if Williams thought Kindred was a better matchup, Williams essentially benched Peppers, or if Peppers was hurt. I think he only had 30 something snaps. 

Returning though... I'm not sure what's going on. He was a very electric and creative returner in college. He added weight to play safety in the NFL and lost his 4.3 speed, but he was still in the 4.4 rang at the combine. It has been pretty uninspiring back there. But at this point, with all of the ST's issues  we're having, I'm not sure how much blocking he;s getting either. It is something that's hard to see from the broadcast angle, but it feels like something we aren't doing that good of a job with. On punts I get it because he's  sure handed, but if they want to try a WR or something on the kick returns it might make sense. If I remember correctly Peppers wasn't our main kick returner last year. 

Just caught up watching Red Zone with Donovan and Dieken. They're echoing the majority opinion around here that at the very least Peppers is seriously underperforming his draft status. It shouldn't take 1.25 years for the guy to be making a major impact somewhere

What was the pre-draft commentary we were seeing?  "Jack of all Trades, master of None"? He has to seriously step up his game, or he's going to be going the way of Barkevious Mingo. 

On 10/1/2018 at 3:09 PM, Mark O said:

The defense couldn't stop them at all....nearly all game long.

9 hours ago, Mark O said:

...  the defense couldn't make a stop or a play when needed. 

Talk amonst yourselves and resolve this, please.

9 hours ago, Mark O said:

Could be the blocking...only real issue is the hesitating.

Blocking on Kickoff returns has been pretty much shelved. 7-man wedges were outlawed years ago. This season 3-man wedges were. So now there's only one-on-one. Not easy on the retreat to your return man.

And if there's no blocking, then returners do tend to hesitate.

Thru 4 weeks there has been one KO return TD... 102 yd by Miami. AS for the other teams longest returns...

Next longest was 94 yd... then 90... then 53, 6 in the 40s, 9 in the 30s.... remaining 13 teams longest is <30.

Our longest is 28 yd... good enough to tie us for 22nd with CHI and IND.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/returning/sort/yardsPerKickReturn

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Talk amonst yourselves and resolve this, please.

Blocking on Kickoff returns has been pretty much shelved. 7-man wedges were outlawed years ago. This season 3-man wedges were. So now there's only one-on-one. Not easy on the retreat to your return man.

And if there's no blocking, then returners do tend to hesitate.

Thru 4 weeks there has been one KO return TD... 102 yd by Miami. AS for the other teams longest returns...

Next longest was 94 yd... then 90... then 53, 6 in the 40s, 9 in the 30s.... remaining 13 teams longest is <30.

Our longest is 28 yd... good enough to tie us for 22nd with CHI and IND.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/returning/sort/yardsPerKickReturn

So what is your suggestion after watching the returns to the 15 yard line this past weekend?  

56 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Just caught up watching Red Zone with Donovan and Dieken. They're echoing the majority opinion around here that at the very least Peppers is seriously underperforming his draft status. It shouldn't take 1.25 years for the guy to be making a major impact somewhere

What was the pre-draft commentary we were seeing?  "Jack of all Trades, master of None"? He has to seriously step up his game, or he's going to be going the way of Barkevious Mingo. 

Barely better than Justin Gilbert at this pointBarely better than Justin Gilbert at this point

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

So what is your suggestion after watching the returns to the 15 yard line this past weekend?  

Touchbacks?

In Nero's thoughts thread I posted that the only thing I like less than WRs returing Kick offs are DBs returning kickoffs. There's simply too much contact... as Callaway will attest to.

RBs need to be back there, IMO. You have to pretty much break the first wave on your own with the blocking rules as they now are and that takes RB strength. Duke is my first choice, but Chubb showed enough speed to warrant consideration.

Punts? That's where I like WRs... like Callaway. Much more of a broken field situation where speed and agility are paramount. I also can see Landry back there in special situations.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Any time you play multiple positions it is going to slow down your development at one. Last year was almost entirely as a deep safety, with a few week injury in the middle. He has made an impact, it was obvious the first three weeks. Again, he was our highest rated defender week 2. 

There seems to be a divide between people that just look for flashy stats and overemphasize the mistakes, and people that have a better understanding of what he's asked to do in Williams D. Very similar to the divide we saw when evaluating him as a draft prospect and seeing the difference between those that did and didn't understand how he was being used in our D at Michigan

15 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Any time you play multiple positions it is going to slow down your development at one. Last year was almost entirely as a deep safety, with a few week injury in the middle. He has made an impact, it was obvious the first three weeks. Again, he was our highest rated defender week 2. 

There seems to be a divide between people that just look for flashy stats and overemphasize the mistakes, and people that have a better understanding of what he's asked to do in Williams D. Very similar to the divide we saw when evaluating him as a draft prospect and seeing the difference between those that did and didn't understand how he was being used in our D at Michigan

Yeah, we saw what he was doing at Michigan- but please get real- he's not showing anywhere close to that impact with the Browns. 

16 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4785094

On 10/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, Mark O said:

Boo Shmucking hoo....   play the game and stop making excuses for the defense not being able to hold an 8 point lead with under two minutes to play.   As I've already pointed out to you, they haven't been on the field all that long, it was just another excuse by you with no facts to back it up.   The offense put 42 points on the board and the defense couldn't make a stop or a play when needed. 

Not to take sides but I think it was a TEAM loss in every way possible.  The Special Teams looked like they were being coached up by Tommy Chong on an acid trip.

While I adored scoring 42 points - the 0-3 Raiders were willing to give us way more if we didn't drop 8 passes (one for a pick 6) and fumble away a snap from Center.  The offense also had countless 2nd half 3 and outs that had our defense the most gas'd I've seen them this year.   In spite of that, the defense made a HUGE play causing Carr to fumble and recovering what should have been an uncontested TD if not for the Zebras contesting it.  Do I wish the defense would have just made 1 more play?  Absolutely!   The offense didn't move the ball in OT either right?  Heading into that game, the defense was #1 in turnover differential by a country mile and it wasn't by accident.

Here's a link showing Oakland enjoyed a massive advantage in the 2nd half time of possession battle (after Cleveland's 1st drive of the 2nd half)

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018093009/2018/REG4/browns@raiders

On 9/30/2018 at 6:47 PM, Tacosman said:

His instincts were such Sheet that he reacted not one second too late but 2 full seconds too late.

Taco what did you ever do with your scouting report that said Nick Chubb was slow and had no burst at all?   The guy had 3 carries for 105 yards with only the goal line stopping 2 of his runs...

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Taco what did you ever do with your scouting report that said Nick Chubb was slow and had no burst at all?   The guy had 3 carries for 105 yards with only the goal line stopping 2 of his runs...

He's left this thread for a reason

Pretty decent interview/article with Mr. Peppers. Poor guy can’t even go into CVS without being haranged by disgruntled Browns’ fans. 

Seems confident he’ll turn it around though. Guess we’ll see.

https://www.brownszone.com/2018/10/03/jabrill-peppers-calls-browns-fans-wishy-washy-for-quick-criticism-says-he-gets-harassed-in-public-promises-narrative-will-flip/

I saw that yesterday and was wondering when it would get posted. Thank you for having that take on the article as opposed to bitching about Peppers for "complaining" or some nonsense.

He seems to know he needs to do better. The whole ST unit. And he thinks they'll all get there.

Harassing the guy in public is going overboard. Everything he said was 100% correct and this fanbase seems to turn on players really quickly. I'm also positive a lot of his encounters included a "Shmuck Michigan!" too. Maybe it's just a vocal minority.

Either way, I hope it all works out. Let's get more 3 safety sets on D now that Mitchell is out.

7 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Pretty decent interview/article with Mr. Peppers. Poor guy can’t even go into CVS without being haranged by disgruntled Browns’ fans. 

Seems confident he’ll turn it around though. Guess we’ll see.

https://www.brownszone.com/2018/10/03/jabrill-peppers-calls-browns-fans-wishy-washy-for-quick-criticism-says-he-gets-harassed-in-public-promises-narrative-will-flip/

thats a bad fukking look for browns fan base. Horrible look. And we wonder sometimes when college prospects talk sht about cleveland in order to.not get drafted. I get that other fan bases prob do similiar sht....but then again they're fans of successful organizations in cities players desire more. Here in ckeveland we cant affird to be coksuckers to anybody until the're gone

Come to Cleveland, if you suck we’ll keep quiet because we want you to feel welcome. 🤣 Been a lot of players and coaches who deserved better from fans but didn’t get it and now the tune is going to change.

In virtually every job that deals with customer service if you do a poor job you expect some negativity.  I guarantee most if not everyone here has bitched at a drive fast food worker, delivery driver, nurse, doctor, dentists, DMV employee etc for perceived incompetence and they aren’t playing a sport or making millions

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

I saw that yesterday and was wondering when it would get posted. Thank you for having that take on the article as opposed to bitching about Peppers for "complaining" or some nonsense.

He seems to know he needs to do better. The whole ST unit. And he thinks they'll all get there.

Harassing the guy in public is going overboard. Everything he said was 100% correct and this fanbase seems to turn on players really quickly. I'm also positive a lot of his encounters included a "Shmuck Michigan!" too. Maybe it's just a vocal minority.

Either way, I hope it all works out. Let's get more 3 safety sets on D now that Mitchell is out.

This fan base turns on players when they are doing a terrible job......as do ALL fan bases.  Cleveland is really a cupcake compared to many other places.  He complains about treatment by the media....but what would happen to him in NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly..,,just about anywhere?  He would get even worse from the fans/media in those markets, for sure.  

Peppers has control over everything, by the way.  All he has to do is his job.   Has he had a lot of help in the return game?  Certainly not.  This ST coach seems to be a disaster because there is no kick coverage or punt coverage or blocking on KOR or PRs.....but, while he hasn't gotten much help....he has not give much either.

20 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

its fukking disgraceful to give any player sht that ISNT a problem child and has done whats been asked of him. Utter disgrace. Did people harass josh gordon? The guy that actually fukked us over for multople years?

What I ask of Peppers is to return some kicks sometimes that gives this team good field position.   From my perspective he has NOT done what has been asked of him.

Do you think he has?

(again, certainly not all the blame can be placed on him for his poor performance....but he shares some of it)

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

This fan base turns on players when they are doing a terrible job......as do ALL fan bases.  

how very apologist of you.  harassing players is never ok...harassing anyone isn't ok.  it says more about how childish this fanbase is than anything else.  the impression i get is every player must be elite on every play depite the fact there are also pros on the other side.  

i used to come here to talk football...but this fanbase has largely turned into a bunch of whiny, pessimistic children who compete with each other as to whom can use the most hyperbole.  its insufferable, pathetic, and not at all indicative of an intelligent and rational fanbase.

just because "fan" came from fanatic doesn't give everyone an excuse to act like a dipshit.  players see these kinds of articles, then only consider coming to the land to collect a paycheck.  you reap what you sow.  so let those knee jerk, hyperbolic reactions flow....just reinforces the idea that this fanbase is one of the worst in pro sports.  im glad to have grow up in pittsburgh, otherwise i'd have turned out like a normal browns fan.  

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What I ask of Peppers is to return some kicks sometimes that gives this team good field position.   From my perspective he has NOT done what has been asked of him.

Do you think he has?

(again, certainly not all the blame can be placed on him for his poor performance....but he shares some of it)

He takes care of the rock, which is important. 

Would you rather nervously field punts with Travis Benjamin?

Personally I've always given you the benefit of the doubt and hoped that you would improve maybe in a different system maybe in a different style position. If and when that happens I suppose people would be less Wishy and less Washy.

WSS

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Calling out people in public like that is dumb, and 100% wrong. I couldn't imagine being so engrained to harass someone in public. Unfortunately I have no doubt it has to do with his Michigan ties, at least to a degree.

Saying out loud your fan base is wishy-washy is dumb too. The guy is over a season into his career and most can agree he looks like nothing more than a late round safety talent out there, and well below average in punt returns. Can he improve? Sure, but I'll believe when I see it. I see (along with many others) a guy who is still making the same mistakes. It's the opposite of ridiculous for fans to question the pick at this point, IDC what college colors he had on. Fan bases turn quickly on everyone, TBH I don't see that as an issue anymore than other places I've lived (or live) with a football team. Sometimes as a pro athlete you gotta bite your lip and keep going. 

"I love the Cleveland Browns; I love the city of Cleveland," Peppers said. "I love how passionate the fans are. Part of what I get is my fault. I'm not playing up to my potential and they see that as well so you can't fault people for feeling how they feel. You just go to take it with a grain of salt and do what you got to do to get better."

But he also said he has limits.

"When you walk up on another grown man, that's another kind of situation," he said.

Peppers said the fact he went to Michigan makes the situation worse given the rivalry between Ohio State and Michigan.

"Some people already feel the way about me because of my college choice," he said. "I've just got to play better and make the plays on the field to get them to like me. That's how it is in the NFL."

Archived