THE BROWNS BOARD

What if...

Kvoethe

Mayfield Lays an egg sunday?

Im personally trying to temper expectations for sunday and if he plays bad its not the end of the world.  I can see this board just exploding and ghoolie transforming back into the toxic sludge beast.

Talk about the pressure on this kids back.

I would crumble like when Im playing golf when I realize im 2 over with 4 to play and bogey out.

Lol.

Hopefully he is the kind of kid who thrives on pressure.  He seems like it.

12 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Im personally trying to temper expectations for sunday and if he plays bad its not the end of the world.  I can see this board just exploding and ghoolie transforming back into the toxic sludge beast.

I would crumble like when Im playing golf when I realize im 2 over with 4 to play and bogey out.

Lol.

It's funny, I'm kind of preparing myself for this possibility. Why? Not because I'm being a pessimistic jerk like before, but more like trying to inject some reality into the equation. Baker is a rookie. Rookies CAN play well, without a doubt, but more often they have up and down years. Baker may have done himself an injustice with his superb imitation last week, and perhaps the expectations are getting a little crazy. What people need to fully understand is, yes, he played remarkably well on Thursday. Terrific. BUT...it was far from perfect. Why? He very narrowly avoided two turnovers, both on the Jets' side of the field, and one in the end zone (Kizer anyone?) In fact, it was last year when we should have beaten the Jets, but Kizer had an end zone pick (and probably another, lol) that crushed our chances to win. 

Baker's pass gets picked and it's a WHOLE different feeling, ya know? And what about that fumble? Thank God Bitonio snatched it, but that could have easily gone the other way. This is what Haley was referring to when he attempted to tamper down Baker's performance at his recent presser. Obviously, someone can play the "What If" game every week, but my point is Baker got away with two, giant plays that really could've meant the difference, they were both highly preventable. 

Will he learn from that? I think so. Is he going to turn it over this year? Yep. Lol. Baker likes the middle of the field, he'll get baited a few times, but you know what? I don't see it happening this weekend. The Raiders have arguably the absolute WORST safeties in the world. They also have the worst pass rushing. As far a rookie's first away game, this is about as good of an opportunity you'll find. 

OBVIOUSLY Baker will have tough games. Everyone does. Perhaps he'll have one tomorrow. Maybe it's unfair for some of the public to have such high expectations, but I suppose that comes with being picked #1 and having a bit of success. That Oakland Stadium is a real crap hole, and nobody likes playing there. It's a strange environment. But I just don't see this game as being an egg for him. We're healthy. We're flying high. And Garrett is going up against a rookie LT. I predicted us to lose this game, but it won't be because of Baker Mayfield. I think we lose a VERY close game because of our special teams (don't trust kicker), and I'm thinking we'll have difficulty scoring in the red zone (most rookies do). The Raiders are onto THEIR 2nd string kicker too, so maybe that'll cancel out. 

On a side note, there's a TINY part of me that says our Browns will blow them out. Those are rare, rarer for us, but I envision a "coming out party" in the shape of a Browns blowout WIN. Again, this is a teeny tiny part of my heart saying this, but man...that'd be awesome. 

43 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Lol.

It's definitely possible.  I think you have a very sensible outlook on Sunday.  This opponent is actually preparing for Baker all week unlike the previous one. I hope these guys are ready for a BIG challenge out in Oakland against a team that is very desperate for a win.   They have a lot of weapons in that offense so it's a good thing this young team still has a sour taste in its mouth about the 2 games they didn't win aside from how many times they're reminded of 0-16 last year. 

This rookie class of QBs looks like a very strong one but I think they will all have some growing pains here and there. The when, where and against who is the part that's tough to predict.   Growing pains doesn't have to mean a guy sucks such as the difference between Goff and Prescott as rookies vrs the difference between them today...

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Rookies do that.  Look at Darnold.     One good game, a couple of so so or bad games.  He and Mayfield will learn.

Agreed.  Trubisky looks like he struggled more than the rookie QBs did last week. I saw that game because a lot of my players on my fantasy team appropriately named Drink Beer were in that game. Trubisky was way off target on guys that were open down field while many of his completions weren't in places that enabled YAC over YUCK.  That team looks like they want to get their passing game out of a sand box but Trubisky just can't quite enable them to do so.  When I see Taylor Gabriel with 5 catches for just 25 yards a week or 2 ago - I see a LOT of speed being held hostage. 

I see no reason to kill the cat after one given Sunday..🐱 (me-ouch!) But sure some will here..TT did not practice all week due to protocol & now back issues. Ty will be the first to tell ya, his gametape sucks against the Jets.The Jets knew what to do with TY..Ty was his steady sometimes sloppy self week 1 & 2. Maybe he should have kicked fg's? Heck, it can only put a fire back under his butt to get better as a team captain. And it showed after his benching at Bills last season getting to playoffs "if needed". Dancing Drew Stanton will now switch inactive spots with Ty and he has won games in the NFL. We really sit in a better spot at QB than most teams.. After all the hours of watching Bakers Sooner gamefilm am really excited to see him play. My 2 concerns are still the same & the wait should not take long ..A)Protect the pigskin feeling pocket heat before #51 Bruce Irving (Bitonio recovery has happened once in years)...B)Can Bake continue to get the ball threw DL windows with no tips(have we ever seen one hit the ground?) If ya look around the schedule this week? I'd say Baker has the best chance at a Win this week of the top 4 QB's taken..Not kicking off at 1PM will drive us all nutz.. 

Never gonna happen. He's that cracker.

4 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

He hits the film hard and preps for Week 5...

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Agreed.  Trubisky looks like he struggled more than the rookie QBs did last week. I saw that game because a lot of my players on my fantasy team appropriately named Drink Beer were in that game. Trubisky was way off target on guys that were open down field while many of his completions weren't in places that enabled YAC over YUCK.  That team looks like they want to get their passing game out of a sand box but Trubisky just can't quite enable them to do so.  When I see Taylor Gabriel with 5 catches for just 25 yards a week or 2 ago - I see a LOT of speed being held hostage. 

Now you went and made Gipper cry... or at least be sad.

And what's up with not Drink(ing) Beer in a Browns Board FFL? ;)Apologies if you are, but results have not been posted in the Weekly Results thread.

It wouldn't surprise me if Baker laid an egg this season... I just don't see it happening playing against this Raiders Defense.

16 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Lol.

Kvoethe.......dude.......you haven't been paying attention to the ghool. Mayfield is the schidt. There is no more "if he plays bad". Bro, when his career.is over, many years from now, you will have a hard time.remembering when he played bad. He has the quickest read and release I jave seen since Fouts or Marino.

The fukcking raiders aren t going to win. You think Williams D is good? Wait till youbsee them with a double digit lead and the rest and adrenaline that comes with watching your O eat the clock .

The Raiders got yo 0-4 and gruden schidts his pants. Now go vote for me.

My thing is Haleys starting game plan...it has to be a confidence builder..

Start off with runs and high percentage completions...

I dont want to see him in the shotgun trying to throw dimes from the first play from scrimmage...asking him to thread the needle.. high risk stuff.

17 hours ago, nickers said:

I just don't see Baker laying an egg.. In fact.. I think this game is gonna be Antonio Callaway's breakout party....

That would've been last week if Baker was throwing those two bombs that Tyrod short-armed. Callaway was OPEN. 

23 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

My thing is Haleys starting game plan...it has to be a confidence builder..

Start off with runs and high percentage completions...

I dont want to see him in the shotgun trying to throw dimes from the first play from scrimmage...asking him to thread the needle.. high risk stuff.

You are absolutely wrong. The EXACT thing to do when you have a 50 caliber machine gun is to come out shooting the fukck out of it. WHo needs a confidence builder?

Dude, why do you have to speak in Euphemisms? WHy just say schidt that you have heard from TV analysts? WHo are YOU to assume that Baker needs anything but GTF out of his way and let his skill set lead the way? Baker doesn't need his confidence built. The guy is already Sock-sure of what he is doing. Don't be a pussy. 

What he NEEDS to do, is exactly what comes naturally to him. SLING THE PILL, SLing it until Gruden's azzhole bleeds . What Baker needs to do is put up a 2 minute touchdown drive RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.................. he needs to put Gruden the homosexual child molester back on his azz............... BOOM............ bitchslap him from the opening bell. Set the tone and FUKCK THE RAIDERS TO HELL.

Dude, don't be a pussy. This isn't Tyrod Tarkenton we are talking about. Baker already faced the test of fire. He pisszed on it and shoved it up the Jet's asss. Jeez, dude, if you were coach of Mike Tyson in his great years, woudl you tell him to just go out and build confidence for a few rounds?

Sorry man, the Browns have been without a QB for 19 year. TIME TO ENLEASH HELL on everyone. he Browns will win this by 24 points. Get ready to watch the police of Oaklan order a rape kit for Gruden's torn and tattered vagina. Fukck going slow. Fukc Gruden.

5 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Kvoethe.......dude.......you haven't been paying attention to the ghool. Mayfield is the schidt. There is no more "if he plays bad". Bro, when his career.is over, many years from now, you will have a hard time.remembering when he played bad. He has the quickest read and release I jave seen since Fouts or Marino.

The fukcking raiders aren t going to win. You think Williams D is good? Wait till youbsee them with a double digit lead and the rest and adrenaline that comes with watching your O eat the clock .

The Raiders got yo 0-4 and gruden schidts his pants. Now go vote for me.

He definitely does have a quick release, no denying that. He should also have a bit of time, as the Raiders have had some difficulty rushing the QB. I don't see Baker "Struggling" per say, but I also don't think he'll be quite as on fire as last week. Playing on the road typically makes everything harder for QBs, and that crappy field is the pits. I guess I'm just trying to have realistic expectations. One part of me says, "If Baker threw the ball so well last week WITHOUT any practice reps, then surely he plays better THIS week after getting every rep, right?" 

But then the other part of me says, "He's a rookie on the road against a desperate team. He's going to take a little step back, which is only normal." I literally can't wait to find out how not only HE plays, but how our entire TEAM plays with Baker at the helm after an emotional victory. Success isn't something we've had to handle in a LONG while, ya know? Will we come out cold like usual? Will we have the same sense of urgency we had against the Jets? I hope so. 

Yes, road games can be funny things. Balls don't bounce your way, penalties seem to be more prevalent, and crowd noise can be a problem. One thing is for sure, Baker is definitely used to playing in hostile environments. I think he'll settle right in, relatively quick. Wanna know who might be Baker's best friend today? Duke Johnson. Get Duke involved early and often on some short, easy throws and see if he can get some extra yards. And I hope we run it with Duke multiple times, too. 

My biggest concern for Baker and the offense is punching it in while in the red zone. That's generally where rookies struggle, and we saw a little bit of that last week when Baker forced that one pass into the end zone that probably should have been picked off. On that play, our offensive line protected incredibly well, and Baker had time. In fact, if he would have held it a tad longer, he would have seen Higgins flashing open across the middle. But, he got away with it and I'm pretty he'll learn from that near pick. 

One thing is for sure, this is as excited as I've been in a long time. No matter what happens in this game, I'm going to be pumped for our future. Haven't felt like this in forever. WOOF WOOF! 

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

You are absolutely wrong. The EXACT thing to do when you have a 50 caliber machine gun is to come out shooting the fukck out of it. WHo needs a confidence builder?

What he NEEDS to do, is exactly what comes naturally to him. SLING THE PILL, SLing it until Gruden's azzhole bleeds . What Baker needs to do is put up a 2 minute touchdown drive RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.................. he needs to put Gruden the homosexual child molester back on his azz............... BOOM............ bitchslap him from the opening bell. Set the tone and FUKCK THE RAIDERS TO HELL.

Sorry man, the Browns have been without a QB for 19 year. TIME TO ENLEASH HELL on everyone. he Browns will win this by 24 points. Get ready to watch the police of Oaklan order a rape kit for Gruden's torn and tattered vagina. Fukck going slow. Fukc Gruden.

As much as I enjoy your nipples getting twisted - that was a FUN read with a great point about Baker.  Don't hold his strength hostage - use it! 

One of the reasons Brees preferred the shotgun aside from his college coach keeping him in it was because it increased the peripheral vision from the pre-snap read until he released the ball.  When his first 2-3 years didn't go as well, they square pegged - round hole him to direct snap under center way beyond his comfort zone to the extent SD drafted a QB first overall after-all.  A lot that could have been avoided, if they just played to his strengths before his 4th NFL season.  I've been saying all along Drew Brees is the QB Mayfield reminds me the most of. 

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

I wanna go take 3 xanax and sleep till 4.  Im pumped for the game.  It cant get here soon enough!!!

Dude, I'm glad you're posting more often!  You been holding a lot of talent hostage way too long in here.  You and Dutch have Ghoolie on prozac and some Dr Frasier Crane's couch belly-up at least once a week. 

When I used to get like that above on Sundays - sleeping was impossible.  My dad used to say "you have 2 choices: Decaff or Push NY 25 times and I prefer you try both."   I used to get way more nervous when the Browns played than when I played because I could at least control how I played. 

Those of us that have been fans of this team long enough to remember what used to happen to our GOOD teams that were supposed to win - would end up seeing them getting trounced by someone like a Detroit team on Thanksgiving they should have rat-housed..  We were supposed to get acid reflux AFTER the meal not before it.

One of the reasons Mayfield energized everyone is because he showed teammates if you give him a reasonable amount of effort doing their part - he'd make stuff happen other QBs haven't been able to here.  Then it became a SYNERGISTIC effect where guys started digging down just a little bit deeper with effort because Baker's performance rewarded them for doing so.  We haven't had any recent examples of responding to a regular season win in September to see if the team can bring the same blue collar play to the whistle mentality.  If they show up looking like they remember what it took to beat the Jets - I'll have all the confidence in the world that it doesn't matter how desperate the Raiders are.  Winning 2 games in a row after enduring 1-31 football would not suck...

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

He definitely does have a quick release, no denying that. He should also have a bit of time, as the Raiders have had some difficulty rushing the QB. I don't see Baker "Struggling" per say, but I also don't think he'll be quite as on fire as last week. Playing on the road typically makes everything harder for QBs, and that crappy field is the pits. I guess I'm just trying to have realistic expectations. One part of me says, "If Baker threw the ball so well last week WITHOUT any practice reps, then surely he plays better THIS week after getting every rep, right?" 

But then the other part of me says, "He's a rookie on the road against a desperate team. He's going to take a little step back, which is only normal." I literally can't wait to find out how not only HE plays, but how our entire TEAM plays with Baker at the helm after an emotional victory. Success isn't something we've had to handle in a LONG while, ya know? Will we come out cold like usual? Will we have the same sense of urgency we had against the Jets? I hope so. 

Yes, road games can be funny things. Balls don't bounce your way, penalties seem to be more prevalent, and crowd noise can be a problem. One thing is for sure, Baker is definitely used to playing in hostile environments. I think he'll settle right in, relatively quick. Wanna know who might be Baker's best friend today? Duke Johnson. Get Duke involved early and often on some short, easy throws and see if he can get some extra yards. And I hope we run it with Duke multiple times, too. 

My biggest concern for Baker and the offense is punching it in while in the red zone. That's generally where rookies struggle, and we saw a little bit of that last week when Baker forced that one pass into the end zone that probably should have been picked off. On that play, our offensive line protected incredibly well, and Baker had time. In fact, if he would have held it a tad longer, he would have seen Higgins flashing open across the middle. But, he got away with it and I'm pretty he'll learn from that near pick. 

One thing is for sure, this is as excited as I've been in a long time. No matter what happens in this game, I'm going to be pumped for our future. Haven't felt like this in forever. WOOF WOOF! 

Crowd noise? We'll see how many Raider fans show up today to support their lame duck team.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Crowd noise? We'll see how many Raider fans show up today to support their lame duck team.

This will be a slaughter. Watch the medical staff attend to Gruden's bleeding pooper.

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

he won t struggle. He's the schidt

Archived