THE BROWNS BOARD

PFF Defensive Line Rankings Through Week 3

Canton Dawg

I would’ve thought the Browns defensive line would be ranked higher than 16th. . .

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-3-nfl-defensive-line-rankings

DEFENSIVE LINE RANKING, WEEK 3: 16TH

Cleveland’s defensive line has only accrued 30 total pressures and a pass-rush productivity of 8.9, ranking 28th and 26th, respectively. Edge defenders Genard Avery and Myles Garrett, however, have earned 75.0 and 74.6 pass-rush grades, respectively, through Week 3. Also, defensive interior Larry Ogunjobi is off to a career-year pace with 11 total pressures and a 71.1 pass-rush grade in three games. The trio has a bright future ahead in terms of pass-rush ability, while their current play in run defense is unparalleled. The Browns’ defensive line, led by Garrett, Avery and Ogunjobi, leads all units in average depth of tackle (0.39) in run defense.

19 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

The trio has a bright future ahead in terms of pass-rush ability, while their current play in run defense is unparalleled.

Almost brings a tear to my eye. 😪

In contrast I'm a little surprised our OL ranks this high...

1636708209_Screenshot_2018-09-29Week3NFLOffensiveLineRankings.png.3f704453710481280f21fdf00feff67d.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-3-nfl-offensive-line-rankings

Surprisingly after Week 2 we were ranked 14th. Can't see where we were Week 1 as below the 5th-ranked Steelers is " You must have PFF Edge to continue reading... ".

Here is Hue discussing two key defensive plays, one by Garrett and one by Obi. What he fails to mention is that Myles forces both the LT and LG to take him on while Obi gets to beat the helpless C. But look at all the choreographed movement within both of these plays within the entire defense. That to me is what stands out about both of these plays. All 11 are working in concert. Williams you f'ing genius!!🤩

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Almost brings a tear to my eye. 😪

In contrast I'm a little surprised our OL ranks this high...

1636708209_Screenshot_2018-09-29Week3NFLOffensiveLineRankings.png.3f704453710481280f21fdf00feff67d.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-3-nfl-offensive-line-rankings

Surprisingly after Week 2 we were ranked 14th. Can't see where we were Week 1 as below the 5th-ranked Steelers is " You must have PFF Edge to continue reading... ".

Indeed.  It would be interesting to compare how they were rated in the 1st half of last week vrs the 2nd half when a QB that processed information with more decisive and quicker throws brought about more reasonable length of pass pro times.  Whether it was just a coincidence or not, the running game also heated up when Baker came in to the extent our best runs no longer had to come from the QB.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

I would’ve thought the Browns defensive line would be ranked higher than 16th. . .

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-3-nfl-defensive-line-rankings

DEFENSIVE LINE RANKING, WEEK 3: 16TH

Cleveland’s defensive line has only accrued 30 total pressures and a pass-rush productivity of 8.9, ranking 28th and 26th, respectively. Edge defenders Genard Avery and Myles Garrett, however, have earned 75.0 and 74.6 pass-rush grades, respectively, through Week 3. Also, defensive interior Larry Ogunjobi is off to a career-year pace with 11 total pressures and a 71.1 pass-rush grade in three games. The trio has a bright future ahead in terms of pass-rush ability, while their current play in run defense is unparalleled. The Browns’ defensive line, led by Garrett, Avery and Ogunjobi, leads all units in average depth of tackle (0.39) in run defense.

If Garrett, Ogunjobi and Avery are doing so well.....why then does the browns DL rank mediocre?   Are the other guys doing that terribly....so that they bring the Browns average rating down?

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Indeed.  It would be interesting to compare how they were rated in the 1st half of last week vrs the 2nd half when a QB that processed information with more decisive and quicker throws brought about more reasonable length of pass pro times.  Whether it was just a coincidence or not, the running game also heated up when Baker came in to the extent our best runs no longer had to come from the QB.

True... a decisive QB with a quick release is an OL's best friend.

On the week to week ratings... in another thread I mentioned how the OL is gelling... and I think it is... but it still has a long way to go. Thus my "surprise" at seeing us as high as being at #19.

What doesn't seem right to me is being ranked higher earlier. I see week to week progress. Only thing I can think of is that Week 2 vs. NO our OL was holding the rush off longer what with TT holding the ball. That would be something they can't get credit for with their new, best friend.

Come to think of it... I think the above may have also been the case back in 2016 when we had three different starters.

im amazed the rams DL isnt first. Dear lord am i glad that isnt on our schedule. Fukking baker would get stretchered off no joke. They silly fukked the viking O line last thurs. I eveb saw them line up Suh in the wide 9 as a DE and he just wafted past the RT. That dude wanted no part in getting infront of Suh with who had a head of steam built up. Got cousins jackked up. The pressure the rams can get from 3 guys is just stupid. I would be comfortable with all 3 of their interior libeman...Donald, Brockers and Suh....as our starting LDE. Thats how athletic those guys are to go along with being beasts. They were routinely walking OL up onto their tippy toes into Cousins jock. Those guys need fukking extra PED testing or sone sht cause thats just not right. Even fukking Suh looks slimmed down and more muscular. Dudes are just freakin

Archived