THE BROWNS BOARD

Dear Quarterback, may I tackle you?

hoorta

I thought this deserves it's own thread- the competition committee hasn't changed their mind- I say BS.   

Watch the video and make up your own mind...   

http://media02.nfl.info/NFL/Officiating/2018/Cerminaro/Roughing the Passer 09_27_18.mp4

So essentially- they just want the defenders to try and arm tackle QBs. 

Rules are rules, and it is all about the QB in the NFL. Does anybody really want to watch 2 backups going head-to-head in a primetime late season matchup because the starters got injured?... NO!

These guys are professionals and need to adapt instead of cry.

Do I agree with all of the rules...? No. Do I like all of them?... No. But all 32 teams have to deal with it, so deal with it!

I've gotten tired of all the crying. Especially Clay Matthews, and I respect the kid, but that last penalty he went too high... it was not good form, which led to the penalty. 

I don't want my QB to get hurt, so these guys just need to suck it up and play by the rules... 

Complaining about CTE, wanting lifelong health benefits, bitching about short careers, and suing the league all while not wanting to play by rules designed to protect themselves is rather hypocritical on the part of the players... just sayin'

2 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

anybody really want to watch 2 backups going head-to-head in a primetime late season matchup because the starters got injured?... NO!

People are starting to tune out now because of these new rules and will continue to do so.   Losing a QB for half a season is one thing.  Watching cowpoop enforcement of something that fundamentally changes the game to something it can never be is more damaging long term.

22 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Or, if you can't make the tackle without a flag, make it hurt.

Listening to a commentator on Fox Sports this afternoon, supposedly this all came about because of last years Aaron Rodgers busted collarbone....   

Just now, thenew23 said:

Rules are rules, and it is all about the QB in the NFL. Does anybody really want to watch 2 backups going head-to-head in a primetime late season matchup because the starters got injured?... NO!

These guys are professionals and need to adapt instead of cry.

Do I agree with all of the rules...? No. Do I like all of them?... No. But all 32 teams have to deal with it, so deal with it!

I've gotten tired of all the crying. Especially Clay Matthews, and I respect the kid, but that last penalty he went too high... it was not good form, which led to the penalty. 

I don't want my QB to get hurt, so these guys just need to suck it up and play by the rules... 

Complaining about CTE, wanting lifelong health benefits, bitching about short careers, and suing the league all while not wanting to play by rules designed to protect themselves is rather hypocritical on the part of the players... just sayin'

I agree with you to a point. Top Quarterbacks sell tickets. But Garoppolo hardly got touched- and he's out for the year. I'm old enough to remember when Dan Marino got shelved with a ruptured Achilles- and he didn't even get touched. Or the Miami defender is trying to not tackle Carr too hard, and winds up taking himself out for the year. 

Where I disagree is you have one set of rules for the QB, and then another for everyone else. I mentioned in another thread I saw a QB get shoved just enough to make him take a step back- not even knocked down, and the Ref threw a flag. WAY over the top in my book. I'm waiting to see what the Refs are going to do when a QB is outside of the tackle box and running- and just happens to get creamed when he loses his "privileged status". 

I've mentioned it before- if they don't want the QBs to get hurt- just go to flag football rules, no tackling of their precious $100 million investments. It's a violent sport, and if you prefer less violence, well there's always soccer. 

2 hours ago, thenew23 said:

it is all about the QB in the NFL.

Is there anybody going to argue this statement?

We couldn't do SQUAT.  Couldn't run, block or pass.  We looked like an 0-15-1 football team until Baker came in last Thursday night.  And if Baker gets hurt we're gonna look like a zero win football team again.

The truth is, it's ALWAYS been about the QB in the NFL.

What would the Packers have been without Bart Starr?  The Purple People Eaters were great, but the Vikings wouldn't have won games without Fran Tarkenton.  The Fearsome Foursome was great, but Roman Gabriel wasn't great enough to make them a great team.  The Cowboys would've been Cowpokes without Dandy Don.  

And now today's NFL is built around scoring.  The NFL marketing hinges upon the good teams and good players....but the teams and players won't be too good without their star QB.  How can you make commercials with a star QB hobbling on crutches?

The NFL HAS TO protect their star QB's for the here and now.  And they HAVE TO get the concussions out of the game for the NFL's future.  (or else there won't be enough kids to field a high school team)

It truly does suck that they have to make and enforce these kinds of rules.  But they have to.  -  If you take away a championship contender's QB...then they're not a championship contender any more.

I said it before and I will say it again, this is not about the 2018 football season. This forward thinking for the ages.

You guys are hard heads and often simpletons. I don't know what some of you do for a living, but if you ever owned business or had P&L responsibility for a 5-year look forward, you would think differently. With all due respect, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business and it didn't get that way by listening to drunk fans who never made $200,000 a year or never will.

As I also said, it was reported that 8 high schools this year shut down their football programs due to a lack of players signing up. Soccer and other sports are booming as parents are growingly aware of head, spine and other orthopedic injuries to the human body.

Dude, the game has changed, and it isn't going back. The guy who posted about " who wants to see 2 back ups playing against each other is DEAD NUTS ON.................. But it is MORE than that.........This is a new era. Owners no longer are going to tolerate their most important player, their highest paid player....their top ticket selling player..............get injured. It never made sense before and it makes no sense now.

You can whine all you want about the game becoming sissified, but it is not ever going back, Hoots. There are going to be more and more restrictive rules as time passes. Every position on a football team is of secondary importance. As goes the Quarterback so goes the fortunes of the team. You and many, maybe most here believe that all players are equally important. You believe that Joe Thomas is more valuable than a RB, WR, or even the QB. But that isn't how it rolls. I agree with the new rules.   

Look man, offensive linemen are dumb bastards, but defensive linemen are just as stupid but have to hit people. They can't understand rules. It isn't that difficult to not tackle a QB after he has thrown the ball.                                                                                                                                                                 

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

It isn't that difficult to not tackle a QB after he has thrown the ball.                                                                                                                                                                 

nobodys arguing that ghoolie. What we're seeing is qb's getting space for jesus hugs while still holding the ball, and flag still thrown. Theres a limit to this and the NFL has exceeded it. If this continues theres no point watching foitball. Why run the ball when ur qb cant be touched? it literally fundamentally changes the game and not for the better

With all due respect, I have heard 1,000 times over my life "I will stop watching"    Like the Kaeperdick issue. I have everything about this movement, but I still watch.

Think about what you just said, " There is a limit to this and the NFL has exceeded it"  LMAO.............seriously? Tell me about this limit. Who set the limit? Who has the limit setting authority that the NFL must abide by? Do you follow me here? The "NFL" answers to themselves. They, and they alone set the "limit" They don't answer to anyone else. If they want to make it hard to tackle the Quarterback, then that's what they will do. They don't give a schidt about what the fans want. If you were an NFL owner, would you? Dude, the NFL could force each player to wear a strap-on dildo and the fans, like bulldogs on a meat truck, will flock en masse.

The times are changing. There will be no meaningful retraction of this. Even if the NFL thought they went to far, they can't now, after providing new protection for the QB, retract their statement and say.. " we were wrong, we want to allow more QB hits than before. Ain't gonna happen man. People talking the QB are going to have to learn to refrain. It does make the #1 #1 Garrett look more and more like a dumb pick, doesn't it?

To start the conversation, it's important to note the owners specifically asked for this rule to be more enforced this season. As much as it blows, this didn't come out of thin air, the people who run the show demanded it happen.

With that being said, they over corrected on the rules. I truly did stop watching the MNF football game because the flags were just ruining the pace of play. However, we've seen this happen in years past. The defensive holding emphasis three? years ago made people go crazy and they toned it down after the first few weeks. The NFL isn't going to change the rule, but I do believe them at face value that they clarified with the refs what should be a penalty. This article does a good job explaining what I think will happen: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/09/25/nfl-wont-change-roughing-the-passer-wording-expects-it-be-called-differently/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9d5e2ae2cc8f

The NFL I think at face value understands they can't be throwing the flag the same way they are now. Same thing happened again with the defensive holding changes. This is totally off the top of my head but I think when that rule was "emphasized" through four weeks defensive holding calls were up 5x than previously, or something like that. I'll keep the faith the refs are going to be in the same mindset here. 

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

People are starting to tune out now because of these new rules and will continue to do so.   Losing a QB for half a season is one thing.  Watching cowpoop enforcement of something that fundamentally changes the game to something it can never be is more damaging long term.

no theyre not.  pretty much all sports ratings have dipped, due to cord cutting and what not....but while people may complain, the fact they are complaining means theyre watching.  

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

To start the conversation, it's important to note the owners specifically asked for this rule to be more enforced this season. As much as it blows, this didn't come out of thin air, the people who run the show demanded it happen.

With that being said, they over corrected on the rules. I truly did stop watching the MNF football game because the flags were just ruining the pace of play. However, we've seen this happen in years past. The defensive holding emphasis three? years ago made people go crazy and they toned it down after the first few weeks. The NFL isn't going to change the rule, but I do believe them at face value that they clarified with the refs what should be a penalty. This article does a good job explaining what I think will happen: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/09/25/nfl-wont-change-roughing-the-passer-wording-expects-it-be-called-differently/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9d5e2ae2cc8f

The NFL I think at face value understands they can't be throwing the flag the same way they are now. Same thing happened again with the defensive holding changes. This is totally off the top of my head but I think when that rule was "emphasized" through four weeks defensive holding calls were up 5x than previously, or something like that. I'll keep the faith the refs are going to be in the same mindset here. 

I hope so. But reading the article- don't remember about Watson, but Wentz got hurt on a play when he was a runner. Fortunately, no change in the rule there.

Yes and no, h... refs are protecting QBs on the hoof more than they used to as well...

Watson's was a non-contact deal suffered in practice.

One thing I did not see mentioned (apologies if I missed it) is we had our first case of a DL getting hurt trying to keep his body weight off of a QB.

Miami Dolphins veteran defensive end William Hayes is done for the season after suffering an injury while trying to abide by a controversial NFL rule.

Hayes tore the ACL in his right knee while sacking Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr in the second quarter of Sunday’s 28-20 victory.

Dolphins coach Adam Gase said Monday that Hayes sustained the injury while trying to not put his body weight on Carr to avoid drawing a flag as a result of the NFL’s point of emphasis on the roughing-the-passer penalty this season.

“He was not trying to put body weight on the quarterback, so his foot got caught in the ground,” Gase said.

Full article here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-gase-quick-hits-20180924-story.html#

Carr essentially apologized to the DE after the game.

Here's video: http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000966171%2FWilliam-Hayes-injured-on-sack

Here's link to the NFL.com article with the video: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966169/article/hayes-tore-acl-while-avoiding-putting-weight-on-qb

This is going to start an even bigger backlash. Especially if "star" pass rushers start getting hurt.

15 hours ago, thenew23 said:

Yes, if they are the starters for the Steelers and Ravens.

T

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yes and no, h... refs are protecting QBs on the hoof more than they used to as well...

Watson's was a non-contact deal suffered in practice.

One thing I did not see mentioned (apologies if I missed it) is we had our first case of a DL getting hurt trying to keep his body weight off of a QB.

Full article here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-gase-quick-hits-20180924-story.html#

Carr essentially apologized to the DE after the game.

Here's video: http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000966171%2FWilliam-Hayes-injured-on-sack

Here's link to the NFL.com article with the video: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966169/article/hayes-tore-acl-while-avoiding-putting-weight-on-qb

This is going to start an even bigger backlash. Especially if "star" pass rushers start getting hurt.

Oh I get the rule, can't wait until a defender has the qb wrapped up in an arm tackle, and is trying to take him (gently) to the ground and the guy breaks free tossing a game winning TD. :D  

42 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Oh I get the rule, can't wait until a defender has the qb wrapped up in an arm tackle, and is trying to take him (gently) to the ground and the guy breaks free tossing a game winning TD. :D  

Larry,

with all due respect, do you think with all the execs and lifetime NFL minds working on this that they already know your exact scenario is going to happen? Dude, if you and I can imagine it, you can be sure, they already know it is coming. You always take the position that NFL bosses are idiots, and we know better, or their subordinates know better. 

Larry, life doesn't work this way. Corporations don't work this way. This rule may in-fact find a V 2.0, but if and when a QB gets hurt, the rule is going to come back. Not only will it come back, but I promise you, before too long there will be even more protection for the Quarterback. For instance, I can see the NFL changing the offense to 13 players, adding two offensive linemen who play in the backfield, and can only block on passing plays. 

Larry, as I said, the can of worms is open. You can stop, kick and scream all you want about "put them in dresses" but clearly, owners have been trying to elevate the protection on quarterbacks for decades. You will not see a return to what you consider proper football. The NFL already knows that extra touchdowns will be made, a lot of unpopular calls will be made, but at the end of this, Quarterbacks will be protected more than ever.

It's all about money, Larry. The QB is THE only important position on the field. The QB is a franchise asset. Sorry pal, no more big QB hits. It is gone.

10 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Larry,

with all due respect, do you think with all the execs and lifetime NFL minds working on this that they already know your exact scenario is going to happen? Dude, if you and I can imagine it, you can be sure, they already know it is coming. You always take the position that NFL bosses are idiots, and we know better, or their subordinates know better. 

Larry, life doesn't work this way. Corporations don't work this way. This rule may in-fact find a V 2.0, but if and when a QB gets hurt, the rule is going to come back. Not only will it come back, but I promise you, before too long there will be even more protection for the Quarterback. For instance, I can see the NFL changing the offense to 13 players, adding two offensive linemen who play in the backfield, and can only block on passing plays. 

Larry, as I said, the can of worms is open. You can stop, kick and scream all you want about "put them in dresses" but clearly, owners have been trying to elevate the protection on quarterbacks for decades. You will not see a return to what you consider proper football. The NFL already knows that extra touchdowns will be made, a lot of unpopular calls will be made, but at the end of this, Quarterbacks will be protected more than ever.

It's all about money, Larry. The QB is THE only important position on the field. The QB is a franchise asset. Sorry pal, no more big QB hits. It is gone.

All reason that the newer startup leagues have a chance of succeeding. The NPFL, non pussy football league will be welcomed. Perhaps that’s XFL 

11 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

The QB is a franchise asset. 

Man, i knew if i waited long enough? Shoolie would get to dropping some real football knowledge ..  OcP3.gif    

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Man, i knew if i waited long enough? Shoolie would get to dropping some real football knowledge ..  OcP3.gif    

Nice try, snapper head. I didn't make that as a discovery, merely a reminder of why the NFL is not going to go back on the QB tackling rule. Thanks for playing, try again. But really, if you want to war with me, try putting some ammo in your gun. Dismissed..........snapper head.

This isn't going away, either. It's not a stretch to say these calls have cost two teams wins. The Garrett call against the Steelers, and the Clay Matthews call against the Packers. Ironically, both teams tied, which is kind of weird, lol. 

Garrett will have a couple more of these, and it's just a function of his speed and immense power. He's not a dirty player, never been called that. He's just better. 

39 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Or...with the popularity of soccer among our youth and the dumbass NFL owners thinking they're invincible and tweaking the rules for profit, the NFL goes the way of NASCAR. 

NFL fans are going to start mating with their cousins? 

Gross. 

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Some gifs are just better than others...

This one's a "10"...

Archived