THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns To Name Baker Mayfield Starter Monday

Tour2ma

I don't see anyone questioning TT's effort and dedication. I certainly am not. He simply looked done to me... looked resigned to the fact that his time was up.

That said... as for being dedicated to "the Browns". The team was irrelevant. Whomever he was starting for this season, he was going to give them his all. It was likely his last starting shot unless he earned another starting shot with his play in this, his contract year.

Personally I do not think there was any chance that he would be starting in CLE in 2019. He was our 2018 version of the 2017 Alex Smith, place-holding for a rookie. The difference being he won't be under contract to trade after the season.

For that reason I would seriously consider trading him now and going with Stanton and a rookie, e.g, our 4th QB from HK (name escapes me). Problem is I do not think the demand for him is very high... even if we eat a good chunk of his contract.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Agree, trade T Rod for a pick  because it’s more than you’ll get after the season when he walks out as a free agent 

Seems like he has more worth than Drew Stanton at this point at least as a backup. I'm so happy to say seems like a good guy but not like a mentor. That's why I noticed Buffalo's desire to send him packing.

WSS

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

enough tape for Hue & me? 

guys are open..read pre-snap than grip it & rip it..Ball to Callaway was so badly thrown,ref would not give up a gift flag..(cuz were the browns)

Thanks, that video confirmed what I saw at the game. Tyrod missed seeing guys who were wide open, and when he did get the pass off, he was either short or off target most of the time.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Thanks, that video confirmed what I saw at the game. Tyrod missed seeing guys who were wide open, and when he did get the pass off, he was either short or off target most of the time.

Larry.. I saw the same damn thing you did.. It was annoying.. I think Sam nailed it in the breakdown.. The telling thing for me about Baker , were his hitch steps.. His footwork is nearly flawless..... I harken back to what Hue said in his Presser.. "He's still an unfinished product"... If He's making these kinds of split  second reads now... It's SCARY fun to think what this kids eyes and instincts will become...

47 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Black Tarkenton should sue.😂

And anyone who thinks that comparing someone to Tarkenton is disparaging, I bring you this:   These are like the 12 MOST productive players in NFL history  since like 1960:

ank Player AV Years Tm
1 Peyton Manning 271 1998-2015 2TM
2 Tom Brady 255 2000-2018 nwe
  Brett Favre+ 255 1991-2010 4TM
4 Jerry Rice+ 250 1985-2004 3TM
5 Drew Brees 239 2001-2018 2TM
6 Fran Tarkenton+ 236 1961-1978 2TM
7 Reggie White+ 226 1985-2000 3TM
8 Bruce Smith+ 223 1985-2003 2TM
9 Ray Lewis+ 221 1996-2012 rav
10 Dan Marino+ 216 1983-1999 mia
11 Bruce Matthews+ 210 1983-2001 oti
12 John Elway+ 203 1983-1998 den
13 Derrick Brooks+ 191 1995-2008 ta

#6 ALL TIME of course is you know who

Baker Mayfield- 30th times a charm!

**My prediction for this Sunday**

Browns- 28

Raiders- 24

Raiders come out and take a 14-0 lead, 
Mayfield throws a pick, and loses a fumble in the first half, but a Carlos Hyde TD before halftime brings the score to 14-7

Baker comes out firing 3 TDs in the second half, finishes the day 23/37 passing, 298 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT

Landry catches Baker's first career TD pass, Duke and Njoku catch the others in the red zone. Callaway has one reception for at least 40 yards..

Of course this is my prediction, but I think that's how it plays out.

Oakland comes out swinging, Baker struggles a little, but turns it on once the team makes adjustments at halftime.

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Great new video breakdown of Baker Mayfield.  Kollman is a pretty good watch

After watching two different videos, obvious why Baker is starting and Taylor is relegated to the backup role. You can see now why the Bills gladly took a third for Tyrod. He couldn't have consistently been playing this badly in Buffalo, or the Bills wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs. The Jets game wasn't the only sub par performance by Taylor. Sheeze, he looked like the rookie, and Baker the established vet on Thursday night. Maybe he'll benefit sitting and watching, learning the offence while Mayfield starts. 

PS- yup, Tyrod totally missed seeing at least two hot reads, and as a consequence, got killed for his inattention. 

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Tyrod was having one of his worst days ever and I still feel the second time down bell ringing was more of a Sonny Liston or a "No mas" kind of thing.

Careful there, Ag... You'll get jumped on for stuff this. ;)

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Careful there, Ag... You'll get jumped on for stuff this. ;)

It sure kind of looked that way.. I gotta believe Haley or someone got in Hue's ear and said.. "Look.. We're not going anywhere with that retread.. Look what the kid just did..".. However... I'm not in the conspiracy theory camp.. I just think Baker was just that much better.

What are you guys expecting this week?  Are you as confused as I am?  I have a REALLY hard time believing a rookie is going to come into his first road start and do very well, BUT after seeing what I did last week, maybe he will?  Jamal Adams of the Jets stated they didn't prepare for Baker at all, so you know the Raiders will DEFINITELY have a plan in place.  The great news for Baker is that the Raiders don't appear to have much of a pass rush, and if you blitz Baker, you better get home.  Anyway, what are you guys expecting, stat wise?  I'll take a stab at it.

26-39 for 289 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT's, 1 fumble (hopefully not lost, lol).  That's where I'm at right now.  I'm expecting solid play, but I'm also expecting rookie mistakes (like he made Thursday, 1 fumble, 1 should-be pick).  Neither cost us, but that's RARE in the NFL.  

I don't have a final score prediction yet.  I want to go back and watch the Raiders' last game in full before I make it.  I know Derek Carr has been playing pretty darn well (for the most part), but he threw a costly pick against the Fins late in the game.  It's also worth noting we're getting Ogbah back, and that's a VERY good thing for our pass rush, especially our 3rd down and long package, where we like to go Genard Avery outside, Garrett inside, Ogunjobi inside, Ogbah outside.  You think Garrett inside is crazy?  Nope.  Gregg moves Garrett all over the place, and he's gotten sacks from everywhere on the line.  DE Chris Smith filled in admirably for Ogbah, but Ogbah is especially nasty against the run, and sets the edge VERY well.  

Jets HC said they did watch film on Baker in preparation in case he came in and played last week.    No idea if its true or not.   I mean there is film on him already, long before last Thursday night.  He played plenty in the preseason.

They should get Peppers involved on the offense as well as Tyrod Taylor- those dudes can move and make plays even though Baker is starting. 

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Ya, lets use our back up QB as a RB.  That's smart.

Having a sub package that can utilize Taylor's mobility and his passing ability is not out of the question. Taylor is probably one of the top 3 fastest QBs in the league.

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

They should get Peppers involved on the offense as well as Tyrod Taylor- those dudes can move and make plays even though Baker is starting. 

As someone said he ain’t in college now. The dude is hardly able to handle the job he has so why complicate things for him by trying to put them on offense 

9 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Oh really, Peppers hasn’t done anything as far as a punt or kick returner . Looks more like the next 1st round pick to get run out of here 

It's looking like Stanton will dress as our backup this week.

As for prepping for Baker... good luck with that Chucky.

Sure they'll try to disguise coverages, blitzes, etc., but pocket awareness/mobility plus quick passes are the antidote.

I do expect them to spy him and try to hide the spy behind the melee of the OL/DL clashes, but if the spy can see Baker then Baker can see the spy.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It's looking like Stanton will dress as our backup this week.

As for prepping for Baker... good luck with that Chucky.

Sure they'll try to disguise coverages, blitzes, etc., but pocket awareness/mobility plus quick passes are the antidote.

I do expect them to spy him and try to hide the spy behind the melee of the OL/DL clashes, but if the spy can see Baker then Baker can see the spy.

And, as some  QB said sometime  "Great, put a spy on me, that means the defense will have one less person out their covering my receivers".

21 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

What are you guys expecting this week?  Are you as confused as I am?  I have a REALLY hard time believing a rookie is going to come into his first road start and do very well, BUT after seeing what I did last week, maybe he will?  Jamal Adams of the Jets stated they didn't prepare for Baker at all, so you know the Raiders will DEFINITELY have a plan in place.  The great news for Baker is that the Raiders don't appear to have much of a pass rush, and if you blitz Baker, you better get home.  Anyway, what are you guys expecting, stat wise?  I'll take a stab at it.

26-39 for 289 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT's, 1 fumble (hopefully not lost, lol).  That's where I'm at right now.  I'm expecting solid play, but I'm also expecting rookie mistakes (like he made Thursday, 1 fumble, 1 should-be pick).  Neither cost us, but that's RARE in the NFL.  

I don't have a final score prediction yet.  I want to go back and watch the Raiders' last game in full before I make it.  I know Derek Carr has been playing pretty darn well (for the most part), but he threw a costly pick against the Fins late in the game.  It's also worth noting we're getting Ogbah back, and that's a VERY good thing for our pass rush, especially our 3rd down and long package, where we like to go Genard Avery outside, Garrett inside, Ogunjobi inside, Ogbah outside.  You think Garrett inside is crazy?  Nope.  Gregg moves Garrett all over the place, and he's gotten sacks from everywhere on the line.  DE Chris Smith filled in admirably for Ogbah, but Ogbah is especially nasty against the run, and sets the edge VERY well.  

Did watch the Sunday Ticket shortcut of the Raiders - Dolphins game. The majority of Nelson's yards came on two big plays. Carr was steady, but I'm willing to bet he can be pressured. Beast Mode looks like Jerome Bettis at the end of his career, a short yardage bowling ball. Other than Gareon Conley, no one on their defense stood out. They're seriously missing Kalil Mack. Our guys should be open for Baker's passes. Willing to bet we can run on them too.

I did not know Sunday Tix broadcast shortcuts. Cool...

Raider D is not great. #31 in turnovers. #22 vs. the rush. #19 vs. the pass.

Carr has not looked good this year overall despite a very high completion percentage. So far he's thrown 2 TDs vs. 5 INTs. Had a good game Week2, but bad outings the other two weeks.

Lynch has 170 yards on 48 carries for a 3.5 YPC. Doug Martin is their #2 RB... better YPC at 4.4, but only 20 carries. Jalen Richards is their 3rd down RB... only 7 carries, but 18 receptions.

Oops... forgot what I meant to post...

Browns Legend Jim Brown on Baker Mayfield: 'I Like Everything About Him'

Legendary Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown is all-in on the Baker Mayfield hype train.

In an interview with TMZ Sports on Wednesday, Brown said, "He's a gunslinger, he can throw the ball, he's got a great attitude, he's young. I like everything about him."

After Cleveland selected Mayfield with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft over Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, Brown seemed upset and said he had "no comment" on the pick.

Five months later, Brown admitted he may have been wrong to doubt the selection: "They didn't go with what everybody said, including myself. They went with what they thought was correct, and I really appreciate being able to say to them, 'I guess you were right.'"

Mayfield saw his first game action last week when veteran quarterback Tyrod Taylor exited the game against the New York Jets with a concussion.

Cleveland was trailing 14-0 when Mayfield entered the game, but it went on to secure a 21-17 victory and its first win since 2016.

Mayfield went 17-of-23 for 201 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions and caught a successful two-point conversion.

Head coach Hue Jackson subsequently named him the starting quarterback.

The Browns are 1-1-1 and coming off an 0-16 season, but Brown believes they "absolutely" have a chance to win the AFC North.

Cleveland will look to take another step toward that goal Sunday when it faces the Oakland Raiders on the road.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2797909-browns-legend-jim-brown-on-baker-mayfield-i-like-everything-about-him

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I did not know Sunday Tix broadcast shortcuts. Cool...

Raider D is not great. #31 in turnovers. #22 vs. the rush. #19 vs. the pass.

Carr has not looked good this year overall despite a very high completion percentage. So far he's thrown 2 TDs vs. 5 INTs. Had a good game Week2, but bad outings the other two weeks.

Lynch has 170 yards on 48 carries for a 3.5 YPC. Doug Martin is their #2 RB... better YPC at 4.4, but only 20 carries. Jalen Richards is their 3rd down RB... only 7 carries, but 18 receptions.

They do if you ante up an extra $50 for the "Superfan" package, starting Monday morning. If you have nothing better to do with about 6 hours of your life, you can even watch the Cliff Notes version of every Sunday game. :) 

Too bad Direct made it an app a couple seasons ago, instead of allowing it as a view option your your DVR.  Me and a slew of other fans howled big time about that AT&T BS, to no avail. Sure, I'd rather watch football games on my smartphone instead of my 55" widescreen- NOT!!!  Don't have a smart TV yet, so I have to watch shortcut games on my computer.  

Archived