THE BROWNS BOARD

Are we better without Winslow as a Tight end?

osusev

I stated this question before and greythan and company all disagreed.

Heiden is a much better Tight end for us, he weighs more and blocks better and catches very well. Heiden blocks like a o linemen for the run and can take on quality defensive ends for pass protection. I just think he is a better team fit for us.

Winslow should be our third reciever or in the double tight end set. He is talented but I think our offense would be better served with him as a reciever than in the starting tight end spot. Giants game and away game at Jacksonville for me really shows me that this is a distinct possiblity.

As I see it, he's not going to be here next year. I like how when he's out, we're not necessarily running if Heiden is in. Winslow takes a dimension away from our offense, talented as he may be. Might as well give him the slot receiver role. Then again, that's Cribbs' spot right now, and I like how if we ever put him in motion, it forces defenses to think. I'd rather have that element in our offense. Unfortunately, if we do that, you know he's not gonna be happy, so let's just get a draft pick or something for him.

Well, one thing I have noticed without K2 on the field is this: Anderson has no one to FORCE it to on 3rd down. With Kellen on the field, it seems like DA is ALWAYS looking his way on third downs, open or not. Now DA seems to scan the field more on 3rd downs. Now I'm not saying we're better on third downs. Far from it, but DA is making better decisions in these situations (a la the throw to Steptoe today).

I'm not sold on us being better off without Winslow, but it seems to me that if Heiden continues to play the way he is, and we're sold on Rucker as the #2 at TE, let's get something for him at the end of the season. This staph thing is just one of several problems we've had with him, but the guy can play and would probably command a nice price. Hell, if we could get a decent addition to our linebacking corps at the end of the season, I'd pull the trigger on that in an instant.

Im going to agree with Ohio Brownie on this one. K2 is the best tight end in the league and he is our number one no matter what. The problem is not with Kellen, Its with DA. DA feels the need to drill it to Kellen when he isnt even open, Kellen is DA's security blanket. If we had a different QB, this wouldnt even be a question. Dont get me wrong, Heiden is a beast, he another really damn good TE, which is why I think we need to have more 2 TE formations, that would throw defenses crazy, because they would have to account for Winslow, Heiden, Lewis, Stallworth, and Edwards. That is a nightmare.

DA needs to be taught that kellen shouldnt be used as a scapegoat.

Want to know why else I dont think our team is better with Heiden at the role? Because Kellen broke team records last year and we won 10 games with him as the starter.

With that thinking. DA came close to breaking almost every passing record, and the Browns won 10 games last year. But you and most feel that BQ is better.

Does it just so happen that the Browns and DA's two best games are with hieden? Or is he truely a better fit. We all know he is not better but he might be a better fit.

remember the 4th down pass play to Heiden, ...Winslow would of scored! Heiden got caught from behind and we settled for a field goal!

Heiden is Good, he does what is expected, but you must remember,.. Winslow he comes from Good Stock!

I think making KW a 3rd wideout is an awesome idea. He has great hands and his height over the DB's would be a great mismatch. When he goes in at TE, he gets double teamed, and the D knows a pass is most likely coming. Great idea, a win-win for all in involved.

remember the 4th down pass play to Heiden, ...Winslow would of scored! Heiden got caught from behind and we settled for a field goal!

Heiden is Good, he does what is expected, but you must remember,.. Winslow he comes from Good Stock!

With Winslow on the field that play doesn't happen. Nothing against Winslow but having Heiden in there helps fool the D.

I think we are without a doubt at least just as good without Winslow. We're a better running team and we have a couple solid pass catching tight-ends without Winslow. If we can get a high pick for him, take it without hesitation.

As much as I hate to say this, I think Winslow may get a little of the "Quinn" treatment. People think he's better than he is because he's so highly touted and because he looks so good in a jersey/pads. Ship the guy out if we get something for him. We've learned consistently over the past few years that good teams are not made of 1st round wide receivers/tight ends. They're made of offensive lineman and defensive lineman. In Winslow's 4(?) years here, I don't think I've seen him have impact on a single game the way Shaun Rogers did yesterday or the way our offensive line has over the past year and a half.

He will never fill his fathers shoes though.

I'm not sold on us being better off without Winslow, but it seems to me that if Heiden continues to play the way he is, and we're sold on Rucker as the #2 at TE, let's get something for him at the end of the season. This staph thing is just one of several problems we've had with him, but the guy can play and would probably command a nice price. Hell, if we could get a decent addition to our linebacking corps at the end of the season, I'd pull the trigger on that in an instant.

Staph thing? You mean the thing Phil Savage wanted him to keep quiet?

Not entirely sure that Kellen is the bad guy in that case.

Archived