THE BROWNS BOARD

John Dorsey

LondonBrown

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yes, it matters especially if you have a WR beating someone deep and the ball is slightly under thrown. That's what allowed the DB to recover just enough to swat it away.  If Taylor hit Callaway in stride with a strong throw while he was pulling away - that's a TD.

Taylor wasn't processing what was in front of him quickly enough to manipulate the safety the way Mayfield could. When a QB can't process at the speed of the game - the defense is going to dictate.  Baker can process quickly so he looked way more accurate and way more confident while he had the Jets back on their heels.  What made Baker's performance stand out most to me was the reality that despite no recent practice reps with the starting offense - he had some really good chemistry working out there with some of his targets.  Aikman pointed out that his 17 of 23 passing also included some dropped passes and intentional throw aways outside of the pocket. 

I thought he was talking about Mayfield..my bad.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Then show me LB's post where he mentions Sashi...

Did Lancelot ever have to explain who he was putting his armor on to defend?  If you read the subject heading and the first post of the thread from one of Sashi's biggest fans - it wasn't as tough to figure out as you want to pretend here.  This isn't one of your better arguments at all.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I think we all know why, LB. 

Every thing you post on here is some attempt to vindicate your backing of Sashi.

John Dorsey is better at this than Sashi is. He just is. Doesn't make him perfect, but move on buddy. 

Moving on from Sashi is a great idea especially on a night Cleveland won it's first football game since Christmas Eve of 2016.

8 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Best hire Haslam has made since 99. Stranger, it was made while another GM was still in office. Nice Dorsey had 4 games in the locker-room to look the talent dead in the eyes. Than said "hold my beer".. Hue is Haslam last tool in the toolbox.Not Dorseys. that needs to change Mr. Haslam 

Remember when he said "We need to get real players" which made some of us cry....... Loving these new "Real Players" myself. ;)

12 hours ago, Flugel said:

Did Lancelot ever have to explain who he was putting his armor on to defend?  If you read the subject heading and the first post of the thread from one of Sashi's biggest fans - it wasn't as tough to figure out as you want to pretend here.  This isn't one of your better arguments at all.

I'm not the one arguing... and you got nothing except Dutch's attempted read into the mind of the OP. However, since mind-reading is apparently evidence I want to play, too...

Until you read Dutch's comment, the first to mention Sashi, that name never occurred to you.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm not the one arguing... and you got nothing except Dutch's attempted read into the mind of the OP. However, since mind-reading is apparently evidence I want to play, too...

Until you read Dutch's comment, the first to mention Sashi, that name never occurred to you.

Tour, LondonBrown almost quit this board because he was called out for blatantly hating everything Dorsey and Hue do because he is still upset about the firing of Sashi.

This isn't ground-breaking news, and I'm not the only person in this thread who recognizes it.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You're not arguing now?  😄 Okay, you're just imitating a nervous Yorkshire Terrier trying to find an ankle to bite.  Got it...

You wouldn't need to mind read if you just read what's in front of you.  It's not that complicated.  My first reply in this thread was to the very first post like the cut and paste clearly illustrates.   This is just another example of see subject heading - read original post - reply.  Very nice try with pretending Dutch posted first though...  And if anyone needs your lessons that Dorsey and Sashi weren't doing the same things - the guy you might want to set straight is LB not those (plural) replying to his ill-timed pout.

Regulars in here know guys like Taco and LB are always whining about Dorsey's decisions. And in LB's case - has he really kept his frustration about Sashi getting fired a secret?  This was the first time I ever responded to him about it; because his timing to unload asss hurt took place in our first win since Christmas Eve of 2016.  If you noticed, 2 of the decisions (Landry and Hyde) he fussed about made significant contributions to the win.  The other guy he went after made the team while Brock Ostrich got paid 16 million $ for his inability to make the team.  If we compare the QB room this year to the one last year - which one wins?  We were 0-16 last year so like I replied to the OP - GREAT TIMING!

What cowpoop. I almost quit because someone accused me of being an alcoholic because they didn’t agree with something I said. It was petty.

To be clear I can NEVER mention a move our current GM makes because it means I’m hung up on Sashi. Let me know what subjects I am allowed to comment on going forward. 

8 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

What cowpoop. I almost quit because someone accused me of being an alcoholic because they didn’t agree with something I said. It was petty.

To be clear I can NEVER mention a move our current GM makes because it means I’m hung up on Sashi. Let me know what subjects I am allowed to comment on going forward. 

Playing the victim to muddy the waters of the argument... Awesome.

29 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I like some things Sashi did. I understood why he was doing it. 

That has nothing to do with our picks at 33 and 35 not seeing the field for god sake. 

Well, Chubb has actually seen the field every game so far and has 7 carries for 41 yards, 5.9 per carry.

Hyde was brought in to be the bellcow. Duke was extended to be the third down back.

Chubb's role right now is to be the backup ball carrier, and he'll see the field more when he gets better in protection.

I don't think he was doing a lot of blocking at Georgia, if that work on the blocked punt was any indication.

He looks like he's going to be a good back, runs hard, I have no problem with this pick.

Corbett pick ... OK. He seemed to be picked a tad high, didn't project to our biggest need at the time (LT) and hasn't beaten anybody out yet. Panic button? No because we have three strong starters inside and Corbett will be ready to replace whoever's contract they want to get rid of first, or whoever gets injured. I'm not going to lose sleep because he didn't crack the lineup the first year.

You can balance second rounder on the bench with udfa looking like he may hold down LT for some time.

So Pick#1 Mayfield: Has the feel of a franchise QB. Boom.

#4 Ward: Home Run.

#33 Corbett. Backup interior lineman at this point.

#35 Chubb Promising RB needs to hone blocking skills

#67 Chad Thomas Has seen action last two games, feels like a project

#105 Antonio Callaway: Starting, looks like speed burner we need

#150 Genard Avery: Better than could be expected, contributing right away,

So of the Top 7 picks, it looks like he knocked four out of the park, with 3 "we'll sees".

That would be the most promising Cleveland Browns draft of my lifetime.

Zombo

58 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

First, I agree with your first point.  That is petty and bush league.

Second, I've read several of your rants all year and never once replied because like I posted a long time ago I always enjoyed the Dawg Pound from England (you and Chris in particular).  I posted I always saw you as a passionate fan in here on page 2 of this thread.  That said, I've seen how you have oriented your position based on all that bottled up frustration whether you are aware of it or not. My take, and I welcome you're reaction if wrong, is it comes from "Oh yeah, if you're gonna fire the guy that set up Dorsey with all these draft picks and healthy cap - you better show me something better than Taylor, Landry and Hyde."  How about winning our first PHUCKING GAME since Christmas Eve of 2016 as well as only having only 1 loss 3 weeks into a season for once?   The competitive value of this team all of a sudden has changed to we should have won all 3 games vrs saying we had chances to win 3 of our 16 games. Even better, we've had 2 second half rallies that kept us from losing. That's epic progress...

2 of the guys you called out made great contributions to the win.  And Taylor gave us and our inexperienced QB way more in return than Brock Ostrich did last year.  A BIG reason Sashi is no longer here is this was the QB room in 2017 under his leadership: Kizer, Hogan, and Kessler with Brock earning the 16 million $ in spite of not making the roster.  You can blame that on Hue all you want but the 1 thing he repeated throughout the offseason leading up to 2017 is - I prefer to start a veteran QB and guys like Keenum and Foles that signed with teams to be backups might have liked the kind of money we flushed down the toilet on Brock. 

A couple of comments here. First I understood what Sashi was doing in terms of setting up long term multiple picks. And I understood that the Browns had a really shitty of "group pick" system that really left no particular person responsible. The only damn good thing that came out of that group pick system was finding the key player to build a defense around and we all know that any team that fails to create a gameplan totally focused on stopping him first is gonna get fried. When it comes to Dorsey, I'm glad we have someone in the FO who is unafraid to say the buck stops here. If the trades, picks, FA additions or releases go bad, he's the guy that says, "It's on me!" Sashi was foolish not to have insisted on taking that stance and he paid the price.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A couple of comments here. First I understood what Sashi was doing in terms of setting up long term multiple picks. And I understood that the Browns had a really shitty of "group pick" system that really left no particular person responsible. The only damn good thing that came out of that group pick system was finding the key player to build a defense around and we all know that any team that fails to create a gameplan totally focused on stopping him first is gonna get fried. When it comes to Dorsey, I'm glad we have someone in the FO who is unafraid to say the buck stops here. If the trades, picks, FA additions or releases go bad, he's the guy that says, "It's on me!" Sashi was foolish not to have insisted on taking that stance and he paid the price.

I think everybody in here appreciated Sashi's ability to make trades and add draft volume.  Having said that, QB is the position that makes or breaks you in the FO.  Bill Polian has been in a FO on teams that had Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning and Kerry Collins (NFC Championship Game in his 2nd year) which led to countless playoffs, Conference Championship Games and Superbowls.  When he saw what Sashi did with Brock O just to get a 2nd round draft pick with ZERO care if he made the team or not at a guaranteed salary of 16 million $ for 1 year - he said it was bush league. He was correct. While Sashi did that, teams like Minnesota and Philly signed Keenum and Foles for backup salaries (prolly not as much as Brock got here).  We got a 2nd round pick for it which ultimately turned into chasing our 2017 2nd round pick right out of town. That said, GB might have given us a Walmart Cola and bag of stale chips. Point is, the 2nd year of Sashi's plan gave us a QB room of Kizer, Hogan and Kessler.  It's way easier to just blame Hue than dare give Sashi any credit for such a QB room. 

And then there's the trade down away from Carson Wentz the year before. That might have been a little better if we took a WR like Michael Thomas who can actually run great routes, catch the freakin ball and score TDs. 

People can cry all they want to about Taylor but he's only got a 1 year contract because we drafted a QB #1 overall.  More specifically, he is here for the same reason Gary Danielson was when he started 5 games at the back end of his career.  That was to teach the rookie how to prepare (ie; 1st one in the bldg last one to leave it), etc.  It's okay to make sure our LT situation is settled a little more than week 1 or week 2 before throwing a 1st overall pick investment out there.  I was thinking of a timetable of about the Danielson-Kosar one in 85 where Baker could start week 6 or perhaps 1-2 weeks later.  As Thursday showed me, he might have exceeded my expectations in terms of ready to rock.  I saw that Jets defense turn Matthew Stafford into that little kid on the yellow raft in the movie Jaws in week 1 so that was an impressive feat.  That said, the Jets prepared an entire week for Stafford like they prepared for Taylor so the results were the same for each QB they prepared for.  They didn't prepare for Baker so we witnessed another episode if you fail to prepare then you should prepare to fail.  Our next opponent will prepare for Baker all week and exploit where they think we're vulnerable up front.  That said, Baker can work with the 1st team all week in preparation for them.  I'm ecstatic the Raiders don't have Khalil Mack any more....

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

Well done Zombo.. it appears that Corbett & Chubb are in the same school of training that Durango & Dayes faced. Drafted spot should but may not matter at this time? the future & till injury happens? Duz! Corbett only took 2 snaps against the Jets and he passed on both.As Durango, Corbett or maybe Harrison slide to a TE eligible. But in both cases, Corbett got to the second level for 2 key blocks that Hyde keyed off of for 1st downs. Chubb should be a key feature back when Baker has the surrounding support to take us to the next step..Harrison at LT has played well enough the last 2 games, I don't care where they come from. Just get the depth building on there future spots..Same with Higgins..kid only got 3 targets, but he caught all 3 to make good things happen..AFCN.. There's a train coming!  🛤️ 

On 9/21/2018 at 3:55 PM, RoyceRolls said:

Count me in the Paul Depodesta fan club. 

Dude came in with a truly innovative plan for the NFL. Hired a patsy to make all the unpopular moves required to set up year three, then enticed a proven talent evaluator with the bounty of resources set up by the patsy. 

For all the losing this team now has a legit defense, a promising young QB and some offensive weapons to put around him.  This is going to be fun!

DePodesta is an interesting mention. He is like the mystery man of the front office. How did he keep his job? What does he do? Does anyone remember even seeing him on Hard Knocks?

I will say that if someone wanted to interview Sashi Brown on what he would have done in the last draft and free agency period had he remained in place, l would read that. Mostly curious on what the next phase of the plan would have been.

3 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I am sure that the alcoholic thing was just made in jest. you know like saying what the “hell are you smoking”

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I am sure that the alcoholic thing was just made in jest. you know like saying what the “hell are you smoking”

And I damn near quoted LB and added "Dilly Dilly", but I did not want him taking it wrong again.😂

Dorsey picked a player off a PS yesterday, soooo..Armchair GM's👍..take a 👀 and would you do it again? Show your list and they must be added to the 53. So who are you removing from the 53?  https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/practice-squads.html  

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Playing the victim to muddy the waters of the argument... Awesome.

You and Flugs are way out of line here.

And Flugs, there's a difference between arguing facts and casting aspersions. The latter of which I was doing right back at you.

You want to go fact free, then yeah I'm on your heels.

You say what you did to my face? I'm in your face.

Any questions?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

You and Flugs are way out of line here.

And Flugs, there's a difference between arguing facts and casting aspersions. The latter of which I was doing right back at you.

You want to go fact free, then yeah I'm on your heels.

You say what you did to my face? I'm in your face.

Any questions?

FACTS?  Allow me.

First, I replied to LB's original post (not you).  Then you replied to me with disapproval and accused me of wanting to argue with you.   That's where your little FACT train went flying way off the tracks so you might want to follow your own advice before giving it. Moral of the story, if you just minded your own business we wouldn't be having this discussion.  If I wanted to argue with you I would have initiated the process. FACT!  You're the only one with a strange need to pretend LB hasn't spent all year crying about Sashi getting fired.  When he's attacking John Dorsey for his sour grapes in a win - you're going to see the inventory of responses page 1 showed us that thought the timing of it all was very strange convenient for you and him or not.  FACT! 

I posted something on page 2 before I read your first reply to me. It's the very next post in sequence.  I said I understood why Sashi had fans and I even said I felt LB was a passionate fan. Maybe if you read it and in the context it was presented in - you might not be looking like Bart Simpson complaining about Eddie Haskell's behavior.

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

Well, Chubb has actually seen the field every game so far and has 7 carries for 41 yards, 5.9 per carry.

Hyde was brought in to be the bellcow. Duke was extended to be the third down back.

Chubb's role right now is to be the backup ball carrier, and he'll see the field more when he gets better in protection.

I don't think he was doing a lot of blocking at Georgia, if that work on the blocked punt was any indication.

He looks like he's going to be a good back, runs hard, I have no problem with this pick.

Corbett pick ... OK. He seemed to be picked a tad high, didn't project to our biggest need at the time (LT) and hasn't beaten anybody out yet. Panic button? No because we have three strong starters inside and Corbett will be ready to replace whoever's contract they want to get rid of first, or whoever gets injured. I'm not going to lose sleep because he didn't crack the lineup the first year.

You can balance second rounder on the bench with udfa looking like he may hold down LT for some time.

So Pick#1 Mayfield: Has the feel of a franchise QB. Boom.

#4 Ward: Home Run.

#67 Chad Thomas Has seen action last two games, feels like a project

#105 Antonio Callaway: Starting, looks like speed burner we need

#150 Genard Avery: Better than could be expected, contributing right away,

So of the Top 7 picks, it looks like he knocked four out of the park, with 3 "we'll sees".

Zombo

Yep all fair points. Avery definitely looks a steal. I just don’t think a 1-31 team should draft back ups at 33 and 35. We already had Hyde when we drafted Chubb. 

Anyway might be worth closing this thread. I don’t wanna cause any grief. But for the record I’ve never met Sashi Brown and he isn’t my boyfriend yet 😉

5 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Yep all fair points. Avery definitely looks a steal. I just don’t think a 1-31 team should draft back ups at 33 and 35. We already had Hyde when we drafted Chubb. 

Anyway might be worth closing this thread. I don’t wanna cause any grief. But for the record I’ve never met Sashi Brown and he isn’t my boyfriend yet 😉

Well I think that rookies drafted in the second round generally do start as back up players not as starters just historically that’s the way it is. Someday one day they may and will start. 

Reading these comments...

Wtf is wrong with you people??!!??

We won a game and you still argue like its all you know how to do.  Jesus..count to ten before you post...agree to disagree or something but this non stop bitching is getting old.  Buncha ghoolie wannabes

24 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

It's all good dude. I just think the timing of criticizing Dorsey was awful. I understand you were frustrated the the Browns were down, but there's no reason to crucify Dorsey yet. Time will tell how he does, and I believe he's doing well for now. That being said, we're all Browns fans and we're headed in the right direction so there's no reason we should be fighting or arguing about the past when the future is looking bright.

Archived