THE BROWNS BOARD

John Dorsey

LondonBrown

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

John Dorsey is better at this than Sashi is. He just is. Doesn't make him perfect, but move on buddy. 

Better at what? Judging talent? No argument there, that was never Sashi's job.

Wheeling and dealing? That would seem to be in the Sashi column.

As for LB and Sashi... I got no hint of any defense, so it just might be you that needs to "move on".

We won and wouldn’t have without Dorsey’s “real football guys”. Seriously you will b!txh about Landry?? Let’s talk offsets in Mayfield, Ward, Callaway, Avery. Free agents Landry , Mitchell. This is a team that because of Dorsey’s collection of talent could easily be 3-0. We will beat Oakland next week then come home to stomp the Ravens at home. 

1 hour ago, rcr81 said:

I come here for more "intelligent" Browns banter than one normally finds in the Facebook groups...and then this thread....it started as a joke I assume?

no, I don't think it's a joke. Some people just want to denigrate anybody that is anybody with the Browns until they get to the superbowl.

Look to the future - it's bright, says I.

10 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

We won and wouldn’t have without Dorsey’s “real football guys”. Seriously you will b!txh about Landry??

I was probably wrong about the landry signing, he is proving a far better threat deep than I thought. He's more than just a possession guy in this team

Just now, LondonBrown said:

I was probably wrong about the landry signing, he is proving a far better threat deep than I thought. He's more than just a possession guy in this team

Sure handed possessions guys who catch 100 balls and move the chains are valuable. Deep threat is another WR. Callaway is that guy. He’s have scored easily yesterday if not grossly underthrown. 

35 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Sure handed possessions guys who catch 100 balls and move the chains are valuable. Deep threat is another WR. Callaway is that guy. He’s have scored easily yesterday if not grossly underthrown. 

More than once he was open yesterday deep and the ball didn't get to him.  

21 minutes ago, Mark O said:

More than once he was open yesterday deep and the ball didn't get to him.  

I think Landry had a defined role in MIA... not so much here.

Think back to Haley's days with PTG. They always had a primary "deep threat" (Bryant then JuJu), but any WR on any given play could go deep... plus Bell. Haley simply did not pigeon-hole his receivers.

Obviously in Callaway we have our "primary" deep threat, but both Landry and Higgins have enough jet to go deep as well... especially after lulling D's with their short and intermediate stuff early. Plus in the end deep speed is as much a matter of match ups as it is raw MPH.

And then Haley has Duke... who we all know can go deep as well... although it's been so long we may have forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hZ8BamzMw

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Landry had a defined role in MIA... not so much here.

Think back to Haley's days with PTG. They always had a primary "deep threat" (Bryant then JuJu), but any WR on any given play could go deep... plus Bell. Haley simply did not pigeon-hole his receivers.

Obviously in Callaway we have our "primary" deep threat, but both Landry and Higgins have enough jet to go deep as well... especially after lulling D's with their short and intermediate stuff early. Plus in the end deep speed is as much a matter of match ups as it is raw MPH.

And then Haley has Duke... who we all know can go deep as well... although it's been so long we may have forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hZ8BamzMw

I agree he can go vertical. My point is if he “only” was a sure handed possession guy good for 100 catches it’s very valuable. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

They eat eels of all things.   How disgusting.

Where I was born and live that was one of the staple meals. It’s still around but people tend not to bother with eels and just eat the other part. I still eat pie mash and liquor regularly. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_and_mash

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

They eat eels of all things.   How disgusting.

My grandfather was from Catania , Sicily.. He ate Eel.. I agree.. disgusting!

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

How nice of the Sashi Fan Club to meet up again tonight! 😉

Count me in the Paul Depodesta fan club. 

Dude came in with a truly innovative plan for the NFL. Hired a patsy to make all the unpopular moves required to set up year three, then enticed a proven talent evaluator with the bounty of resources set up by the patsy. 

For all the losing this team now has a legit defense, a promising young QB and some offensive weapons to put around him.  This is going to be fun!

On 9/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, LondonBrown said:

Third rounder for Tyrod a shitload of money on a slot WR that doesn’t score TD’s and Carlos Hyde. 

Everyone’s going to be sacked again

Just 1 day after Baker Mayfield helped Cleveland erase a 14 point deficit in less than 32 minutes of action - all you want to talk about is how much your football life sucks without Sashi?   Great timing!

1 hour ago, blitzz2 said:

Does it matter? Pull the Safetys' across, opens up underneath and mid routes. Keeps the safetys heads on a swivel and honest.

Yes, it matters especially if you have a WR beating someone deep and the ball is slightly under thrown. That's what allowed the DB to recover just enough to swat it away.  If Taylor hit Callaway in stride with a strong throw while he was pulling away - that's a TD.

Taylor wasn't processing what was in front of him quickly enough to manipulate the safety the way Mayfield could. When a QB can't process at the speed of the game - the defense is going to dictate.  Baker can process quickly so he looked way more accurate and way more confident while he had the Jets back on their heels.  What made Baker's performance stand out most to me was the reality that despite no recent practice reps with the starting offense - he had some really good chemistry working out there with some of his targets.  Aikman pointed out that his 17 of 23 passing also included some dropped passes and intentional throw aways outside of the pocket. 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Just 1 day after Baker Mayfield helped Cleveland erase a 14 point deficit in less than 32 minutes of action - all you want to talk about is how much your football life sucks without Sashi?   Great timing!

Yup Flugel, I defended Dorsey during the game when we were down 3-14 because the thread was ridiculous. Of all things we should look at the positives....

As Zombo pointed out, Dorsey is exceptional at drafting. To say us being down at the half was because of him is more than ridiculous.

I know Sashi was loved by a few guys, but cmon war, Sashi is the past and winning is the future. Who cares if what you thought would work out didn't work out? at least we're winning again.

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Is that really what LB did?

Project much?

I think there are folks around here more hung up on Sashi than LB or I...

3 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Yup Flugel, I defended Dorsey during the game when we were down 3-14 because the thread was ridiculous. Of all things we should look at the positives....

As Zombo pointed out, Dorsey is exceptional at drafting. To say us being down at the half was because of him is more than ridiculous.

I know Sashi was loved by a few guys, but cmon war, Sashi is the past and winning is the future. Who cares if what you thought would work out didn't work out? at least we're winning again.

I get why Sashi had some fans.  When I go buy morning coffee, I always ask the lady - do you have two 10s for a 5?  She always replies - have I ever had that for you?   My way of seeing if she's awake. When it came to trading, Sashi was a master of getting two 10s for a 5. Like Dorsey has mentioned, Sashi set him up great for the 2018 draft...

All that said, it's a passing era and when Sashi had the chance to draft Carson Wentz at #2 overall he traded down and drafted Corey Coleman instead of better WRs.  And when it came time to bring an experienced QB here in 2017, Sashi gave Brock Ostrich a 16 million $ guaranteed 1 year contract just so he could almost make the team. So, in year #2 of his plan - he left us with this at the QB position: Kizer (2nd rd rookie), Hogan and Kessler.  As much as some of Sashi's biggest fans want to give Hue 100% of the credit for 1-31 football in 2016 and 2017 - a lot of very promising QBs went in both of those drafts.  Dorsey drafted 1 of them on a team that had previously signed veteran QB Alex Smith.  Dorsey also drafted a WR like Hill in KC just 1 year after Sashi wasted a 1st round pick on Coleman.  And what part of Kenny Britt's turbulent background slam dunked this is the type of vet we need coming in here to show the younger guys work ethic worth wasting 12 million $ on? 

As of right now, it also looks like our UFA at Left Tackle is an upgrade to 3rd round pick Shon Coleman.  He's still learning but I'm reading a lot less panic about him today folks.  Could he be the next Tony (T-Bone) Jones?  That would be an epic find for the position ultimately responsible for protecting the blind side of QB against every oppoent's best pass rusher.  I think he weighs into the decision of when we start our 1st overall investment at QB, which was a big reason I wanted us to start Taylor for about the same length of time we once started Danielson over Kosar. 

The last 2 QBs Dorsey has drafted in back to back years are Patrick Mahomes and Baker Mayfield to teams with veteran QBs that have competed in playoffs in recent years.  We also have another veteran Drew Stanton here.  Whether Taylor works or not may not as a starter - Mayfield has made it a point to say how much he has helped him prepare like a leader and a professional. Along the same line, Mahomes has said the same thing about Alex Smith.  I know how much everyone can't wait to blame Hue for everything/anything but the 1 thing he said throughout the off season heading into 2017 was he thought it was important to have a veteran QB here for whomever they were going to draft (which became Kizer in round 2).  Hue mentioned numerous times he wanted an experienced vet to start here. So what did Sashi do?  He signed Brock for an absurd 1 year salary without any care whatsoever if he was good enough to even make this team for the sole purpose of adding a 2nd round pick.  A very successful former FO guy-Bill Polian was very critical of that plan that Sashi's fans didn't want to hear.  Sashi's biggest fans will say we got a 2nd round pick for that almost as if that plan didn't chase his 2017 2nd round QB (Kizer) right out of town.  So guess who had to be the only BAD guy throughout 1-31 football... Hue and don't anyone dare blame Sashi. 

If you don't work on your weaknesses in the game of football - you will kick yourself right out of the game. Hue has disappointed everybody in his first 2 years so what did he do in response?  He self evaluated; and FINALLY hired an OC to bring in his own system and run it.  And what did that do for him?  He's finally given himself a chance to be the Head Coach he was hired to be instead of an OC that tried to work overtime as a QB coach.  If that's all he ever wanted to be - why leave that 12-4 team in Cincy for the only phase of the game you cared about?  Hiring Haley is why I'm giving him a 3rd strike. We're 3 weeks into a season with only 1 loss for a refreshing change. The team is getting better right before our eyes.  We can either enjoy that snowballing up into a game like Thursday Night or join LondonBrowns and others choosing not to.  LondonBrowns is a pretty passionate fan IMO so I'd hate to see him corner himself into a position he can't enjoy this team when he could/should be.  I'll always understand guarded optimism here not to be confused with guys that root for their predictions as if they can quit their day jobs making Tacos for an NFL FO position...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Is that really what LB did? 

Yes. - Flugel

I think there are folks around here more hung up on Sashi than LB or I...

Let me know when you have finally convinced yourself of that because you'll sell it way better than you are here.  You named yourself in that category above so something is compelling your overprotective mode here.  Do you want me to also pretend we were 31-1 instead of 1-31 the last 2 years while we're at it here?

Again, the timing of asssbleed over Sashi's departure following our first win since Christmas Eve of 2016 seems a little strange to me. - Flugel

On 9/21/2018 at 8:22 AM, LondonBrown said:

He is the team leader by example. The young guns on both sides of the ball look up to him. Game ball after the game reactions from the team says it all.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:20 AM, Comeonman said:

I know it’s way early, but it looks like #s 1 and 4 could go down in CLE history..... 

It's looking REAL GOOD.  It's amazing how much easier the sacks and QB pressures are improving when we have corners that can cover people better/longer.

The last time we nailed two 1st round picks was in 1978 with Ozzie Newsome and Clay Matthews.  Both had long productive careers and helped us frequent the playoffs throughout the 80s. 

Best hire Haslam has made since 99. Stranger, it was made while another GM was still in office. Nice Dorsey had 4 games in the locker-room to look the talent dead in the eyes. Than said "hold my beer".. Hue is Haslam last tool in the toolbox.Not Dorseys. that needs to change Mr. Haslam 

Archived