THE BROWNS BOARD

Latest Pluto

Westside Steve

Not much there, but you can bet Pryor and Crow will be PUMPED for this game.  One poster said, "Those two guys couldn't even make OUR roster, so what's that say about them?"  I see his point, but I don't agree totally.  I was fine with Crow leaving, his lack of vision was REALLY starting to bother me, and he could never see to his left.  He left more yards and TDs on the field than anybody I can think of, but what really bothers me is the Pryor situation.  Admittedly, the end zone interception last week was his fault, and he's said as much.  That stuff CAN'T happen, especially in a close game, or any game.  But...he's also averaging 19 yards a catch with a rookie QB, so why didn't we want him again?  We had money, we COULD'VE made it happen.  I simply don't understand it.  Now we don't have Josh, another puzzling moment, and we're depending on a rookie with huge problems to fill the void?  Yeesh.  

I do think we're going to TRY and pressure Darnold, but I'm not sure that's the best approach.  I read a stat that said we only blitzed Brees 5-6 times.  That's a crazy stat for Gregg Williams, who is known for bringing heat.  I'm not sure if the stat is correct, but I know it was said on Browns Daily.  I actually would like this approach with Darnold, and I WANT him to throw it.  I want to bait the guy and see if he can pick us apart WITHOUT blitzing.  I don't think they can block Garrett and Ogunjobi, and I don't think we really have to send extra pressure.  Now, if Darnold tears us up and picks us apart, we can adjust the strategy.  But I want to see him make the throws before we send the house on every 3rd down like we're used to seeing.  

But let's call it like it really is.  This game is likely coming down to our OFFENSE.  The Jets are playing their young QB.  A guy we passed on.  The game is in Cleveland, and you can bet there's going to be a large contingent of Baker Mayfield supporters.  We need to put some points on the board early to ensure our Baker fans don't get too loud.  I really don't want to play the guy before our coaches think he's ready.  Tyrod has won before, and he can win with us.  Heck, he should be 2-0 already...the guy doesn't play special teams.  Has Tyrod been amazing?  No, far from it.  Has he put our team in position to win?  Yep.  

I hope the offense is ready because we have NOT gotten off to fast starts, and I don't want to hear the Baker section get loud.  Because if we have our typical slow start, the Baker era will begin much sooner than we thought, and I don't want him facing that Jets defensive line just yet.  Was it last year when we basically TRIED (and succeeded btw) to lose to the Jets?  I think Kizer had his patented end zone turnovers, and we dominated the game only to lose in the 4th quarter.  Yeah, I could see this game going a lot like that one UNLESS we put some touchdowns on the board early.  

34 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

16. PREDICTION: Browns 24, Jets 17. I'm 1-0-1 this season.

He's exactly 3 points off each for my 27-20 Browns prediction.

And it will be interesting to see what we do to the blind crow tonight.

This game is very difficult to predict IMO.  For one Thursday night games are traditionally tricky, and I've seen some big upsets, and some games that didn't make any sense.  I also don't know how our team will react to actually being FAVORED to win.  Does that even factor into anything?  Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  I seriously doubt the players are sitting around and reading online articles and saying, "Hey Tyrod!  We've favored to win!"

But on the other hand, I do think there's some added pressure when you're favored.  People are saying your team is better.  You have more talent.  You are at home.  You SHOULD win.  

The greatest unknown to me is how Sam Darnold will play.  Perhaps I'm just so jaded that I expect EVERY QB to play lights out against us, but I don't see Darnold playing poorly.  He's VERY adept at throwing on the run, he's extremely strong and mobile, he's crafty at getting rid of the ball under pressure, and he's dangerous when he tucks and runs it.  I think this is the game our defense lets us down, and our offense will have to shoulder the load or we lose by 17+.  Remember the last two years when we'd have games where our offense scored enough, but then our defense would have a bad game?  It didn't happen OFTEN, but it did happen.  More common was the opposite when our offense couldn't score, and our defense played a good game, only to get tired in the 4th quarter because they were on the darn field all day and night.  

That being said, I firmly believe the Jets will hang a MINIMUM of 28 points on us, and probably closer to 32.  Why?  We're injured.  Even if Randall plays, he's still hurt.  Kirksey isn't playing.  Ogbah is out.  We're VERY banged up.  Now you look at the Jets, and they're basically 100% healthy!  How is this possible?  Well, it's the way it ALWAYS is.  Many of us, myself included, said we HAD to get wins very early in the schedule because when the injuries come (and they always do), our roster simply won't be able to absorb the blows like many others.  You don't go from 0-16 to having a deep roster in one year, it just doesn't happen.  Now we're in week 3, and you can see the injuries already popping up.

People are going to say I'm crazy, and I'm used to that.  Hopefully I'm completely wrong and we dominant the Jets and Sam Darnold and they don't score more than single digits.  However, I don't see it happening.  I don't even have a great reason WHY I see it happening, other than our Browns have completely struggled at putting together a total team effort.  If one unit plays well, the others don't.  It's like clockwork.  Our defense has played well in two games, but now there's film out there.  I envision a scenario where the Jets march down the field on us, punch it in, and then also hit some long bombs and long runs.  In other words, I don't think our defense is THAT good.  

I'll also say this:  History tells us rookie QB's will put the ball in harm's way.  So far, we've made the plays and gotten the turnovers.  When/if Darnold gives us the chance to take it away, WE HAVE TO DO IT.  No dropped INT's, no failing to strip the ball on a sack, no failed opportunities.  When the play is there, we HAVE to make it.  In fact, I'll say something else:  We need to score a defensive TD in order to win the game because our offense isn't designed (or talented enough) to score the required amount of points for a victory.  We can't run the ball well, we can't pass the ball well, and we're not going to score enough unless we get a defensive TD.  I'd say maybe a special teams TD, but our special teams are SO BAD that there's no possible way we'll ever score a TD from them.  

Oh, one more thing.  I think our special teams gives up a huge play.  Possibly a TD, but maybe just a fake FG or fake punt for a first down if we're lucky.  

48 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Not much there, but you can bet Pryor and Crow will be PUMPED for this game.  One poster said, "Those two guys couldn't even make OUR roster, so what's that say about them?"  I see his point, but I don't agree totally.  I was fine with Crow leaving, his lack of vision was REALLY starting to bother me, and he could never see to his left.  He left more yards and TDs on the field than anybody I can think of, but what really bothers me is the Pryor situation.  Admittedly, the end zone interception last week was his fault, and he's said as much.  That stuff CAN'T happen, especially in a close game, or any game.  But...he's also averaging 19 yards a catch with a rookie QB, so why didn't we want him again?  We had money, we COULD'VE made it happen.  I simply don't understand it.  Now we don't have Josh, another puzzling moment, and we're depending on a rookie with huge problems to fill the void?  Yeesh.  

I do think we're going to TRY and pressure Darnold, but I'm not sure that's the best approach.  I read a stat that said we only blitzed Brees 5-6 times.  That's a crazy stat for Gregg Williams, who is known for bringing heat.  I'm not sure if the stat is correct, but I know it was said on Browns Daily.  I actually would like this approach with Darnold, and I WANT him to throw it.  I want to bait the guy and see if he can pick us apart WITHOUT blitzing.  I don't think they can block Garrett and Ogunjobi, and I don't think we really have to send extra pressure.  Now, if Darnold tears us up and picks us apart, we can adjust the strategy.  But I want to see him make the throws before we send the house on every 3rd down like we're used to seeing.  

But let's call it like it really is.  This game is likely coming down to our OFFENSE.  The Jets are playing their young QB.  A guy we passed on.  The game is in Cleveland, and you can bet there's going to be a large contingent of Baker Mayfield supporters.  We need to put some points on the board early to ensure our Baker fans don't get too loud.  I really don't want to play the guy before our coaches think he's ready.  Tyrod has won before, and he can win with us.  Heck, he should be 2-0 already...the guy doesn't play special teams.  Has Tyrod been amazing?  No, far from it.  Has he put our team in position to win?  Yep.  

I hope the offense is ready because we have NOT gotten off to fast starts, and I don't want to hear the Baker section get loud.  Because if we have our typical slow start, the Baker era will begin much sooner than we thought, and I don't want him facing that Jets defensive line just yet.  Was it last year when we basically TRIED (and succeeded btw) to lose to the Jets?  I think Kizer had his patented end zone turnovers, and we dominated the game only to lose in the 4th quarter.  Yeah, I could see this game going a lot like that one UNLESS we put some touchdowns on the board early.  

Archived