THE BROWNS BOARD

We are going to eat Darnold's lunch Thursday

BobPOUND!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darnold did alright as we slept-walked our way thru the 1st half.... then we got WOKE.

Whole NYJ team folded under the pressure applied in the 2nd half.

But you can see Dranold has a future in the league.

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's my biggest reason for concern.  The Jets, conversely, are as healthy as a horse.  Naturally.  

I'm going a way different direction for my predicted score.  History will tell us that this game will be ugly, low scoring, and something the Browns will lose in the 4th quarter.  I think it'll be the opposite.  I believe the Jets will hang about 24 points on us offensively, and then they'll tack on another defensive TD or special teams TD.  

Jets - 31

Browns - 17

well looks like you sucked a big horse finger on that one

edit: fuking honestly you can't say horse finger here,,,,,wtf

8 hours ago, syd said:

well looks like you sucked a big horse finger on that one

edit: fuking honestly you can't say horse finger here,,,,,wtf

I looked for a horse finger picture combined with a crow-eating picture, but couldn't find one!!!  AHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH!!!!!     AMAZING!!!!!!!!

All you negative Nancy's claiming the sky was falling and saying you hate the team and the organization can suck it for the next 10 days.     Quite a performance by the team last night.  Great comeback.   Baker was definitely a difference maker as soon as he came in and completed a couple of passes.  The crowd, which was pretty amped up at the start and gone pretty flat once we were 14-0 down.  But that drive to get a field goal was enough to get the crowd back in the game and then he played a great 2nd half.    Truly amazing to be there in person last night.   Hopefully it's the first of many more.

4 hours ago, Mark O said:

All you negative Nancy's claiming the sky was falling and saying you hate the team and the organization can suck it for the next 10 days.     Quite a performance by the team last night.  Great comeback.   Baker was definitely a difference maker as soon as he came in and completed a couple of passes.  The crowd, which was pretty amped up at the start and gone pretty flat once we were 14-0 down.  But that drive to get a field goal was enough to get the crowd back in the game and then he played a great 2nd half.    Truly amazing to be there in person last night.   Hopefully it's the first of many more.

Not lost on me one bit was that first he brought them back from 14-0 to tie it, the D let down just a bit and then he came back again from 17-14 to put us ahead. So two comebacks in one game says a lot about this kid. He' got no fear. Best thing is that the D really responded well to that second comeback and never let go of their throats. Excellent team win!

10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Not lost on me one bit was that first he brought them back from 14-0 to tie it, the D let down just a bit and then he came back again from 17-14 to put us ahead. So two comebacks in one game says a lot about this kid. He' got no fear. Best thing is that the D really responded well to that second comeback and never let go of their throats. Excellent team win!

Boy I tell you, the game sure looked like everything I predicted in my post.  I said Crow would be out for revenge and have a good game.  I said the Jets would score a special teams touchdown.  The Jets’ defensive line would give us fits.  Through the first half, about the only thing I missed was Terrell Pryor scoring a TD.  The game unfolded EXACTLY like I saw it in my head, and that was no good thing.  I wrote that Sam Darnold would give us chances to steal the ball, and we’d HAVE to take advantage.  Joe Schobert drops an interception, and the Jets go on to score a touchdown.  At that point, things were as bad as ever.  I even wrote that after Tyrod Taylor continued to struggle and the boos became too loud, our coaching staff would panic and throw in Baker Mayfield to an awful situation.  And that’s when my immense and utter “wrong-ness” started to rear it’s beautiful head. 

Indeed, Baker Mayfield was tossed into a bad situation, no denying that.  Down 14-0 with 2 minutes to go in the first half?  At home?  National televised game? 

No problem. 

Baker’s first play was a completed pass (I think), and just that ONE pass was enough to inject all kinds of energy into the stands.  I mean, you could FEEL the energy THROUGH the television.  And if it’s the pass I’m thinking of, it wasn’t exactly the easiest throw in the world.  Baker holds the ball for a split second which allows the tiniest of windows to develop, and then threads the needle like he’s known to do.  Baker doesn’t have the strongest arm in the world, but on passes under 20 yards that thing comes out HOT.  Heck, even over 20 yards he’s still got a hose, but when I watch him making those short and intermediate tosses, it’s generally about perfect, and the ball is smoking.  It wasn’t funny when it happened, but it’s funny now, and that’s when Jarvis Landry had the ball bounce off his chest on a frozen rope thrown by Mayfield.  Jarvis Landry, the guy with some of the best hands I’ve ever seen, not only dropped a ball, he didn’t even get his HANDS on it.  Why?  Well, probably because he didn’t concentrate and was thinking about where he was going to run, but more likely is because the ball was moving SO much faster that it literally snuck up on him before he could close his hands.  Landry just stood there like, “WTF just happened?”

What really surprised me is how our team managed to keep positive momentum even AFTER we made serious mistakes.  We have a terrible drop?  Normally we punt.  We score a touchdown but have it called back because of a penalty?  That’s a FG or worse.  We take a sack?  You can guarantee that’s a punt. 

But not last night.  To me, that was the most shocking aspect of the game.  When we made a mistake, it didn’t bother us.  After Mayfield came in, it was almost like we KNEW we were going to do it.  I can’t explain it.  Baker came into the game and everyone just….I don’t know…came to life?  Even when Baker made some “bad throws”, our receivers made the incredible catch.  Higgins made a giant catch, Landry had a spectacular catch (several), even Njoku made a tough grab over the middle on a low ball.  Did several people have some awful, inexcusable drops?  Yep.  But they didn’t kill us for whatever reason. 

I think it’s time to talk about “luck”, too.  Last night was the first time we had virtually every break go our way.  First of all, Baker threw an interception into the end zone that was dropped by the Jets.  The ball was thrown so hard that it bounced off the DB’s shoulder pads.  Baker didn’t even see the guy, and it should’ve been picked off.  I’ll tell you this, Deshone Kizer never seemed to get that break, did he?  You can bet your bottom dollar that if Kizer threw a pass like that, the magnetic pull of the dang earth would pull the ball directly into the defense’s waiting hands.  It was automatic.  But Baker got new life, and also knows he got away with one.  He wouldn’t put the ball in danger again, except for the fumble. 

And that brings me to another example of our team receiving some favorable luck, in that we recovered every fumble in that game.  Sure it’s not ALL luck, as our guys were around the ball and made the play to secure it.  How about that Duke Johnson fumble?  Everyone thought he was out of bounds and gave up on the play, but he really fumbled it and Rashard Higgins virtually SAVES THE GAME by swatting the defender’s hands away from the ball and snatching it.  It was hysterical.  Higgins pushed the guy’s arms from the ball and he just took it, LOL!  And can we please talk about the Bitonio fumble recovery and rumble down the field?  OMG, I thought he was going to take it to the dang HOUSE and give Joe Thomas a heart attack he was laughing so hard.  Yeah, it didn’t count, but it DIDN’T KILL US.  Our mistakes didn’t kill us, and we fought back immediately after making them. 

Now it’s time to talk about some of the throws Baker Mayfield made last night.  We knew he could throw the ball, and we knew he was accurate.  To his standards, Baker threw some bad passes.  Some behind, some off to the side, and the one pick that was dropped.  But some of the windows Baker was throwing through were TINY.  When they showed the “behind center” camera angle, I sat there with my mouth wide open because I don’t know how Baker threaded the ball in there.  I’m sure you guys saw it, too.  And how about that one touch pass he threw over the linebacker’s hands, but right in the lap of I think Duke Johnson?  Or the Callaway pass that was dropped?  Yeesh.  Maybe his best pass was the deep one to Landry where he wasn’t even open, but Landry plucked it off the defender’s helmet.  Crazy. 

The energy in that stadium was tangible and incredible.  As bad as most of the first half was, you almost felt like the Browns were going to win once the second half started.  I haven’t felt that way in a VERY long time.  It makes you think, “What’s our record if we started Mayfield week 1?”  Obviously there’s no way to know, but I’m sure every single one of us is asking that question.  It also makes me mourn the loss of Gordon, but this will be the last time I mention his name.  Can you IMAGINE Baker throwing passes to him?  Ugh.  However, we have Callaway now.  We have Landry.  I still like Higgins, who if you remember, was Baker’s favorite target in preseason.  Watch Higgins have a very solid year if Baker stays healthy.  I’m not saying “all star”, but I think he’s going to be a very productive player…I really do. 

I was right about this game, I was scarily right about almost every FACET of the game.  In the first half, that is.  But even my catastrophic pessimism was no match for the power of Baker Mayfield.  He came in and blew away the foul stench of our pathetic offense with the first snap he took.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  We have a new QB, perhaps a QB that will be with us for 12 years or so.  In fact, my only concern is keeping him healthy, as he took a few nasty hits last night.  But there’s no sense in worrying about things you can’t control, and for the first time in what seems like forever, I can honestly say, “The Cleveland Browns have their QB”.

Nobody wants to see someone get hurt, and I’ve heard nothing but great things about Tyrod Taylor the man.  But let’s make something clear, our offense was SO bad in the first three games, that I wasn’t sure we were going to win a game, I really wasn’t.  People called me negative, crazy, “troll”, or whatever….but the truth was I didn’t know if we could score any points.  We had no points with 2 minutes to go in the half.  We were going for 3 yard passes on 3rd and 9.  Our offense looked so anemic, I honestly didn’t know HOW we’d score points.  We were down 14-0 with literally zero momentum, AND the Jets were going to get the ball after half.  We were well on our way to the blowout I predicted.  I mean, that game felt like it was over, didn’t it?  There was a sour feeling in the air, the crowd was booing, and you couldn’t help but feel like, “Here we go again.”

All the pessimism is now gone.  It doesn’t matter if we lose against Oakland, wanna know why?  Because I think we have our QB.  If we lose, I don’t think it’ll be because our QB is blatantly worse than the opposition.  Our PLAYERS now think they can win, and I’ve long said that so much of our losing is because of our mental state.  Almost like we EXPECT to lose because we’ve had so many heart-wrenching losses.  That’s all different now.  Even with the injuries, even with no Gordon, even down 14 points, it never felt like we were out of the game once Baker came into the game.  Down 14.  Two minutes to go in the half.  Baker takes us down the field for maybe the biggest FG I can remember, LOL.  All of the sudden, going into halftime 14-3 felt like we were tied.  As nuts as that sounds. 

Why yes, I’m very full from my night of humble pie and heaping helping of crow.  But I don’t care, because I know I can watch a quality QB each week and actually HAVE FUN.  We get a nice, long break before playing at Oakland, and once again, I can’t wait to see my beloved football team play. 

Great write up, jiggins...

Especially the parts about how wrong you were... ;)

Seriously, I don't think any of us anticipated TT playing so bad last nite that the QB switch could have been made on that basis. And had he not been hurt, who knows if the swap would have been made either too late or not at all. Had it been delayed, then you may have been scary close to spot on.

And that's even scarier...

Interview with Joe Thomas discussing the game. Worth listening to how they assess the defense, particularly the impact of Garrett and Ward starting at the 8:46 mark. They basically say that the Jets were afraid to throw more than the short passes because of how Myles might really damage everything with more time. That allows guys like Ward to impact the game even more. Guys we have an NFL high level defense and now we have a QB to keep them well rested.

I admit, I was concerned that a team could be so obviously reticent to throw the ball downfield like the Jets were last night and yet were still able to move the ball for a good amount of the game. I'm pretty sure they are still picking up 3rd and longs with #81. 😁

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Great write up, jiggins...

Especially the parts about how wrong you were... ;)

Seriously, I don't think any of us anticipated TT playing so bad last nite that the QB switch could have been made on that basis. And had he not been hurt, who knows if the swap would have been made either too late or not at all. Had it been delayed, then you may have been scary close to spot on.

And that's even scarier...

It's difficult to fully explain the first half with Tyrod in the game. I've seen awful halves of football before, and I've seen our QBs (too many times) lay eggs, but that was especially ugly because people expected us to win. The national audience was predicting a win to some degree. But we couldn't move the ball AT ALL with Tyrod in. I thought once Tyrod got banged up, he got shaky. He missed multiple throws a starting QB shouldn't miss. Towards the end of his play, he missed two throws to the sideline that were simply inexplicable. Something just seemed....wrong? 

In the first of half of our 3 games, I think Tyrod was responsible for 3 points. Let that sink in for a while. And I don't blame Hue Jackson for starting him, I really don't. We had 18 years of rookie QB futility. Tyrod was said to be the superior player in the off-season and camp. Tyrod was voted CAPTAIN for crying out loud. But it was time for a change, perhaps past time. It's hard not to think what might've been if Baker started the year for us, but that's no use. We know Baker and Tyrod are vastly different players, but the difference in how each qb got rid of the ball was night and day. Beyond it, even. 

Was Baker perfect? Of course not, and I wouldn't expect that anyway. But he was pretty effing close, lol. We already noted his near pick and his fumble, but Baker missed a touchdown, and that's a killer. On the play he almost threw the end zone pick, Rashard Higgins broke free across the middle and it appeared to be an EASY read and throw. Baker had the time, Higgins beat his man, and the ball wasn't there. If I had to guess, Baker just didn't see the safety at all. He probably thought he had a touchdown. But those are the kind of things we can't have happen, and what I love the most is knowing Baker will learn from this. 

I won't lie, I'm beyond sad regarding two things:  One, I don't get to see Josh Gordon catch passes from Baker. Josh gets open like no other, and he's nasty after the catch. Baker hits people in stride. It would've been a SPECTACLE to watch them both play together. *sigh*

The other sad thing to me is that Nathan Zegura wasn't broadcasting, and he didn't do the Browns Daily show. He didn't get to do the "Vixtory Friday" show, and I know it hurt him. 

Archived