THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign kicker

darren15

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the crowd roars... "WHO?"

Here's who...

Rookie out of FAU that kicked 3 FGs for the Fins in preseason. He was 3 for 3... 48, 54 and 33 yd.

Miami Dolphins rookie Greg Joseph believes he’s an NFL kicker

Aug 30, 2018
By

ATLANTA — The next 48 hours will be tough on Dolphins kicker Greg Joseph, especially since the Premier League matches don’t come on until Saturday morning.

Joseph is one of a few dozen Miami players sweating out the upcoming roster deadline, but his situation is as straightforward as it gets: By Saturday at 4 p.m., it’ll either be him or Jason Sanders on the roster in a decision likely made by special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi.

The other one will be on the open market, but the good thing from Joseph’s perspective is that he believes he’s proven himself as a legitimate kicker whether he stays with Miami or not.

“People have told me if it doesn’t work here, ‘You’re gonna have a shot and you deserve to be one of the 32,’” Joseph said. “A couple months ago I was just a kicker from FAU, so I’m thankful to Rizz for giving me a shot. Whether I’m part of the 53 or not, I’m leaving that building with a smile on my face because I did everything I could and I’ve had a great experience.”

Joseph, who also played at American Heritage School in Delray Beach, came in as an undrafted rookie to compete against Sanders, a seventh-round pick from New Mexico. All indications throughout the past few months have been that the two kickers are fairly even.

In tonight’s 34-7 victory over the Falcons, Sanders made a 56-yard field goal and missed badly on a 53-yarder that might have been deflected. Joseph hit one from 33 yards.

For the four preseason games, Sanders hit 7 of 9 and his only misses were from at least 50 yards, while Joseph made his only three attempts (the previous two were from 48 and 54 yards).

Joseph had received no indication of the Dolphins’ plans at his position as of tonight, but felt good about his performance nonetheless.

“My goal was to be the best me I could be, and I do think I showcased that,” he said. “What this camp has done for my confidence and my competitiveness is second to none. I’m just happy to have had this opportunity to learn about myself as a man and an athlete. I can’t wait to take that knowledge and apply it to life.”

Beyond his confidence that he deserves a job kicking somewhere, Joseph will be fine regardless. He completed his undergraduate degree in exercise science and health promotion and is three classes away from getting a Master’s in Health Administration from FAU.

“The reason I’m so secure with whatever happens here is because I feel like I’ve done a great job, with the help of others, to prepare myself for life after football,” he said.

Great move -  I just wonder if he was hurt. Or, wore his knee out. Something?

Had to make that move - they did, we're good. Had a groin injury?

Who is the special teams coach again?

dammit.

Well the BROWNS have got an Owl on the team. A lot of those newer football programs have been gaining in football prowess compared to the old UM, FSU, FLA teams.

FAU highlights:

2014 Season Game Highs
Field Goals: 4 at Wyoming (92/20/14)
Longest Field Goal: 43 at Wyoming (9/20/14)

2015 Season Game Highs
Field Goals: 4 at ODU (11/28/15)
Longest Field Goal: 48 at ODU (11/28/15)

2016 Season Game Highs
Field Goals: 2 Ball State (9/24/16), UTEP (11/12/16)
Longest Field Goal: 50 FIU (10/1/16)

2017 Season Game Highs
Field Goals:  2 Buffalo (9/23/17); WKU (10/28/17), NT (12/2/17)
Longest Field Goal:  54 Navy (9/1/17)

I mean I get it, if Gonzalez had a groin injury that absolutely could be the cause of the pulls to the left we saw.....but then so what? we still need another kicker....or at least a punter that can also be the faux kicker. Problem with that theory is....Gonzalez was "booming" kickoffs...so really? Groin injury and he's still putting balls damn near through the goal posts on kickoffs? Doesn't pass my smell test. 

22 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

The 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history is looking for a job, and this is the result. Just don't get it barring Bailey flat out saying he didn't want to play here. Cowboys cut the dude strictly for money savings.

Allegedly Bailey had off season surgery and wasn't the same in camp.  It was more than just a money savings issue.

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Don't paint everyone around here with the same brush Trollie. 

Sorry Tom. In the NFL- you're only as good as your last kick. Go ahead and be in D-Nile that Gone-zalez wasn't the primary reason we lost the Saints game, and there's no denying he makes that kick with three seconds left, the game is going to overtime. So, if you can't do your job, we're going to try and find someone else that can. Especially at the cost of a hard fought game that easily could have been a win. 

You probably didn't look at the other thread, but mjp put up some telling stats that Gonzales has pretty much sucked- even last year. If you want to say Dorsey made a mistake keeping him, and not going with the other guy after training camp- be my guest. 

Hey- Vegas regular- you know damn well most NFL point spreads are three points or less- the difference of a made or missed field goal. As Gipper pointed out Scott Norwood's miss cost the Bills a Super Bowl win. 

BTW- those meanie Vikings are going to replace their kicker too, after he blew a couple FGs in overtime, costing them a win. 

Please don't feed the troll.   :)

27 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Injured?

51B515FF-BF50-48DF-A974-9075AB530D5A.jpeg

Ya.... forced a kicker to kick..... more like the kicker knew he was 100% replaceable and said nothing. 

Plus like Clevfan4life said..... dude was putting kick offs into the endzone and missed a 50+ yarder that would have been good at 60.....

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

Allegedly Bailey had off season surgery and wasn't the same in camp.  It was more than just a money savings issue.

Maybe but IMO unlikely. He just signed with the Vikings and reportedly turned down several other teams offers to kick. Could be he simply wanted to play for a winner.

Dan Bailey didn’t want to play for the Browns and signed with the Vikings. As for Zane Gonzalez, did he think no one would notice he had a groin injury? What a scumbag! 

31 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Maybe but IMO unlikely. He just signed with the Vikings and reportedly turned down several other teams offers to kick. Could be he simply wanted to play for a winner.

Can't hardly blame him for that.   Thought he might even hold out to see if the Rams needed a kicker depending on how badly their kicker is hurt.

22 minutes ago, Opal312 said:

Dan Bailey didn’t want to play for the Browns and signed with the Vikings. As for Zane Gonzalez, did he think no one would notice he had a groin injury? What a scumbag! 

I still want clarification on his "groin injury" cause he pulled an uncle rico on the kickoff after one of his PAT misses. 

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

I still want clarification on his "groin injury" cause he pulled an uncle rico on the kickoff after one of his PAT misses. 

Apparently Adam Schefter was reporting it too but as you say he kicked off fine out of the end zone, any injury was obviously not that serious to prevent from kicking. And lets not act like Zane was tearing it up since he was drafted he was marginal at best.

1 minute ago, runyon27 said:

Apparently Adam Schefter was reporting it too but as you say he kicked off fine out of the end zone, any injury was obviously not that serious to prevent from kicking. And lets not act like Zane was tearing it up since he was drafted he was marginal at best.

dubious. What college did zane go to? Is it schefters alma mater?

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Who the fuyuck ever knew that he had a groin injury until after that game?  Sounds like a dog ate my homework excuse.

And has been pointed out...his kickoffs had plenty of leg, as did the FG's he missed.  It wasn't like he left that 52 yarder at the end short, it had plenty of distance.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

At least he doesn't have an hispanic last name. 

Can't trust those bastards. 

Its why I won't vote for the Gonzales that is running for Congress in my district!!  That and he is one of those dirty rotten traitorous former NFL players!!

:lol:

(actually, none of those are the reason I won't vote for him;))

59 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Can't hardly blame him for that.   Thought he might even hold out to see if the Rams needed a kicker depending on how badly their kicker is hurt.

For sure, TBH my hope in signing the guy was that no other jobs would be readily available. The Vikings job was better in every sense than the Browns.

Archived