THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker time

Westside Steve

Dunno, darren... Allen had some moments yesterday. I think they have their guy.

As for Baker... I'm ready. And from his look in the sideline shots of him... so is he.

It's impossible to really know. What I've been saying FOREVER is that Tyrod can win you enough games IF you have solid defense AND special teams. With Tyrod, every extra point counts. Every yard of field position is crucial. Every, single FG is absolutely imperative. Tyrod has done enough to be 2-0. Has he played great? Not even close. Maybe he even cost us the first game, but we still had a chance to win and special teams effectively lost that opportunity. Same thing yesterday. Tyrod did enough to win but since he doesn't have the support of quality (or even DECENT) special teams, he's going to lose more than he wins. 

So perhaps I've answered my own question. Since it's obvious we don't HAVE competent special teams, and we're not going to just "get better", maybe it IS time to start Baker Mayfield. I honestly don't know. 

I think my biggest hesitation is that we have such a short week of preparation, seeing as how we play THURSDAY NIGHT somehow. And Darnold is the real deal btw. I know he didn't win yesterday, and he threw a costly pick in the end zone, but his receiver didn't do him ANY favors on that play, AND the corner made a RIDICULOUS play for that pick. We're in deep trouble, and this is really going to shock everyone, but I don't see us beating the Jets either. Shocker, I know. In fact, I think our team might be "broken". We lose Josh in a rather strange fashion, and we lose (the tie is a loss, let's be clear) every game in traditional, heart-breaking Browns fashion....we're broken. Wouldn't surprise me if we lose by 20+ points, our players get booed off the field, and Hue throws in Baker Mayfield in a last ditch effort to save his job but Baker gets his butt destroyed because we're down 3+ scores and the Jets know we're passing every down. 

Mark it down. 

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Dunno, darren... Allen had some moments yesterday. I think they have their guy.

As for Baker... I'm ready. And from his look in the sideline shots of him... so is he.

Those camera shots of Mayfield on the sideline crack me up. The camera crew game plans for the game just like the teams game plan for the opponent, mostly to not only tell the tale of the game but also to expound upon sub plot lines.

I noticed it last week too. After every 3 and out, or after every 3rd incompletion from Taylor, there’s a shot of Mayfield on the sideline. Bandana and game face on. Ready to heed the call!

1 hour ago, darren15 said:

We could trade Tyrod to the Bills they need a QB :)

Yeh, like PIT could have gotten Martavis Bryant while he was out of football and traded him to the Raiders again for a 3rd round pick again.

I love Taylor, and his reputation for having a weak arm is wrong. That Taylor to Callaway pass was in the air for 65 yards and there was no tail wind.

I suppose we have to expect about 4 rocky games for the offense. But this defense is kickass like I figured.

Special teams - what a freaking disaster.

what the )(*& is up with the blockin in the back?

And our kicker - what ...the....

is he hurt? was hurt? just lost his mind and body at the same time?

Can they go back and get the kicker they cut? There are folks who think he

kicked so well that he won the position on the roster.

crap.

8 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Mahomes sat...and sat to awesome results.

Baker mayfield needs to sit.

Tyrod did not lose us the game yesterday.

true - the Chiefs do have an established LT, Fisher, Sammy Watkins and Tyreek Hill at wr,s, Kelce at TE,

and obviously well established Mitchell Swartz sp? at RT....

again, Baker has a magic about him - he isn't tentative, makes great decisions, has a lot stronger zip on this throws, is more

elusive in the pocket...etc.

But at least for another few games, Tyrod deserves the chance to rise to the occasion. I hope. Meanwhile, Baker is really learning a lot from watching Tyrod and the offense work.

I would rather see Bake go through an Aaron Rodgers / Steve Young* development than get hammered for no reason a la Joey Harrington or Sam Bradford. 

Browns are a gnats-butt from being 2-0 and the defense is playing lights-out.  Win some games this year, get experience at winning as a team with TT for now.

There's time to bolster the O-line and prepare for the prepared Baker to go out and make a playoff run.    

*HOF QBs

22 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Mahomes sat...and sat to awesome results.

Baker mayfield needs to sit.

Tyrod did not lose us the game yesterday.

YES! Nor did he lose game 1. The Cleveland Browns have between a zero and minus 32 chance to even get any shot at the 2018 playoffs why in the world would anybody want to rush another rookie into a starting QB job in the NFL only the hardest job in all of professional team sports. Didn't we lean anything from 2017?

Don't worry QB spot #30 will come soon enough like in one injury -but- hopefully that it a long time away yet.

14 minutes ago, JohnnycakeRidge said:

I would rather see Bake go through an Aaron Rodgers / Steve Young* development than get hammered for no reason a la Joey Harrington or Sam Bradford. 

Browns are a gnats-butt from being 2-0 and the defense is playing lights-out.  Win some games this year, get experience at winning as a team with TT for now.

There's time to bolster the O-line and prepare for the prepared Baker to go out and make a playoff run.    

*HOF QBs

Welcome to the board, and good points.

I’m a big Baker guy myself, but have no qualms setting the table properly before he takes a seat.

Need the forks aligned properly, spoons and knives, bowls and cups and such, so that he can simply sit down, put a napkin on his lap, and Feast away.

13 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Mahomes sat...and sat to awesome results. Baker mayfield needs to sit. Tyrod did not lose us the game yesterday.

Wouldn't hurt if TT posted a career year as Alex Smith did in front of Mahommes last season... just sayin'...

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

and obviously well established Mitchell Swartz sp? at RT....

The name is: Schwartz...

It was nice watching him collapse the left side of the Steeler DL once when KC was trying to run out the clock late in the game. He looks huge now...

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

We’ll see Baker start when the coaching seat starts getting hot for Hue.

What the exact win/loss ratio will be is subjective.

My opinion would be 0-4-1 and Hue will be in desperation mode.

"IF" maybe the BROWNS had a half decent kicker, beat pizzburgh game 1 and were 2-0 right now the can hue and play Baker now talk would be a whole lot quieter. 

A freaking kicker, hmmmmm. Oh well......

It's not time to put Baker in.  Tyrod played better this past week.  Let Baker wait some more.  Remember, the offensive supporting cast around the QB has taken a hit at WR with past 1st and 2nd round picks proving worthless.

It doesn’t help when OC calls a reverse when we were up by 2 points with about 6 minutes left and trying to put together a nice drive to kill the clock out.

That shows no confidence in Tyrod. I was so mad, 2nd and 18 after that..

The other time the reverse to Callaway worked and setup the Hyde touchdown, but after that let the players play, coach!

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

"IF" maybe the BROWNS had a half decent kicker, beat pizzburgh game 1 and were 2-0 right now the can hue and play Baker now talk would be a whole lot quieter. 

A freaking kicker, hmmmmm. Oh well......

The Browns are a competent kicker away from the Browns being 2-0 and averaging 23.5 points a game. 

When baker gets his chance,  I really think he'll be good.  The Ohio state game was what initially made me a believer.  You just got nervous he'd make plays when they needed to.  That's prob the same way everyone felt about Brees yesterday.  

And I hope Mahomes crushing it right now shuts up the "you gotta play them immediately!" crowd.  sitting certainly Worked for Goff, Jimmy G,  and mahomes. 

2 hours ago, ColumbusKing said:

A little surprised you are already calling for Baker, Tour.

For me I don’t know if I’m ready, the offense has looked pitiful so far but I think it’s more scheme then Tyrods play. 

You and me both, but here I am. I saw in Preseason Game 4 that Baker's command of the O is way ahead of where I thought he'd be.

His arm and touch and ocket awareness are all superior to TT's and he's shown he will run smart when he runs... something TT did not do a couple times Sunday.

Then there's the "it" factor. Baker has it... TT doesn't. Plus I think the kid's psyche is bulletproof. Even if things go badly, I think he can handle it.

Lastly... our OL looked functional Sunday. Good enough to give Baker a chance.

Tyrod took the bills to the playoffs last year also while getting benched for Nathan peterman for a game. 

Cmon man. I think he’s got some “it” factor after bouncing back from and int to throw a perfect strike to Callaway. 

Baker is good and probably better then TT, and he’s gonna get his chance. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns are a competent kicker away from the Browns being 2-0 and averaging 23.5 points a game. 

And remember that they are still a rebuilding team coming off of a miserable 1-31 and 0-16 season(s), patience guys still a PK, WR help and a few pieces from a AFCN competing team.

GO BROWNS 2019! 0-1-1 isn't going to make 2018 look so good......even though we know that they are improving. 

Many of us, if not ALL of us, were terrified of our special teams before the season started.  We were awful last year, we brought in a new coach who NEVER appeared to have good special teams, and guess what?  We're awful again.  Tyrod can win you a fair amount of games, he's shown that over his career.  But he can only DO THAT if he has competent special teams.  Every FG counts with Tyrod, every point matters, every yard of field position.  Tyrod isn't going to win in a blowout fashion, it's just NOT going to happen.  Since we DON'T have good special teams, we're either going to have to be content with losing a bunch of games (if not ALL of them...again), or put Baker into the game in hopes that he's somehow ready to go.  No matter what, he's still a rookie.  He's GOING to make rookie mistakes.  Can he score enough points to overcome that?  Don't know.  I'd seriously DOUBT it.  Has it happened before in the NFL?  Sure, I can think of a few instances.  Has it happened FOR US?  

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Archived