THE BROWNS BOARD

GOODBYE ZANE!

Canton Mike

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

This is just more demonstration of why Tommy Boy is so ignorant about the game of football.

The kicker IS an important element of the game.    It would not surprise me, if, after research, some 20-25% of all football games are decided by field goals and extra points,   or those that are missed.......

That Tommy Boy reference got me laughing! 

And yes the snapper, holder, kicker are game deciders A LOT! But the key piece is the kicker, any professional PK should be able to make a 50+ a reasonable percentage  to win a game when necessary, from less even more.

• Sept. 17, 2018  NYT
    • The player payroll of an N.F.L. team is about $175 million. But many teams pay the place-kicker on the roster roughly the league minimum salary, which is often less than $1 million annually.

So what? To most fans, it seems like an easy job.

Try telling that to the Minnesota Vikings or the Cleveland Browns. On Sunday, each team surely wished it had loosened the purse strings to pay for a veteran established kicker instead of the young low-cost versions they put in uniform.

The failures of the Minnesota and Cleveland kickers on Sunday were a flabbergasting cavalcade of end-over-end footballs spinning wide left and right of the goal posts. Minnesota’s rookie Daniel Carlson missed three field goal attempts, including two in overtime, and cost the Vikings a critical victory in a game at Green Bay that ended in a tie. Cleveland’s second-year kicker, Zane Gonzalez, missed two key extra points and two field goals, including one in the final seconds of the game, which helped hand the Browns another inconceivable defeat in a game they led most of the time but still lost at New Orleans. The Browns have not won in more than 630 days.

In the coming days, the Vikings and Browns will no doubt devote a lot more time to figuring out who should be handling the kicking duties. They might even give it as much attention as they would a debate about who should be the sixth linebacker on the depth chart (who often makes more money than the kicker as well).....

2 minutes ago

Turns out Browns' kicker Zane Gonzalez, who is losing Cleveland's kicking job this week, has been kicking with a groin injury that requires an MRI today, per source. Browns could reach an injury settlement with him or put him on waivers, injured.

Just checking more PK stats, totals for 2017 and a link for more information. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/field-goal-percentage-50-plus?season_id=15

NFL Player Stats - Field Goal Percentage, 50+ Yards - 2017

Rank Player Team Pos Value
1 Robbie Gould San Francisco 49ers K 100.0%
1 Aldrick Rosas New York Giants K 100.0%
1 Mike Nugent Chicago Bears K 100.0%
1 Josh Lambo Jacksonville Jaguars K 100.0%
1 Chris Boswell Pittsburgh Steelers K 100.0%
1 Chandler Catanzaro New York Jets K 100.0%
1 Caleb Sturgis Philadelphia Eagles K 100.0%
1 Randy Bullock Cincinnati Bengals K 100.0% 8 kickers 100% from 50+
9 Matt Bryant Atlanta Falcons K 90.9%
10 Greg Zuerlein Los Angeles Rams K 85.7%
10 Jake Elliott Philadelphia Eagles K 85.7%
12 Adam Vinatieri Indianapolis Colts K 83.3%
13 Stephen Gostkowski New England Patriots K 80.0%
13 Harrison Butker Kansas City Chiefs K 80.0%
13 Phil Dawson Arizona Cardinals K Phil? Phil Conners? :lol:  80.0%
16 Stephen Hauschka Buffalo Bills K 77.8%
17 Giorgio Tavecchio Oakland Raiders K 75.0%
17 Ka'imi Fairbairn Houston Texans K 75.0%
19 Justin Tucker Baltimore Ravens K 71.4%
19 Wil Lutz New Orleans Saints K 71.4%
21 Kai Forbath Minnesota Vikings K 70.0%
22 Zane Gonzalez Cleveland Browns K 66.7% see link for more

Yes the blame is on Gonzalez, but damn, that 40+ yard play the D gave up at the end of the game....  well, no one seems to be talking about that.  The D has been absolutely great, but why so damn loose on the Defensive scheme?  And how many points on turnovers 10... 10 points on what 8 turnovers in two games?  

14 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

Turns out Browns' kicker Zane Gonzalez, who is losing Cleveland's kicking job this week, has been kicking with a groin injury that requires an MRI today, per source. Browns could reach an injury settlement with him or put him on waivers, injured.

Yea, right.   He had plenty of leg on those kicks, he just missed.  If he had an injury I think he could have not kicked the ball so far.

78118199.jpg

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, right.   He had plenty of leg on those kicks, he just missed.  If he had an injury I think he could have not kicked the ball so far.

And Mr. Zane Gonzo wasn't that good in 2017 either, tied for #32 for overall kicking.....see link for all information.  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/field-goal-percentage?season_id=15

NFL Player Stats - Field Goal Percentage - 2017

Rank Player Team Pos Value
1 Caleb Sturgis Philadelphia Eagles K 100.0%
2 Josh Lambo Jacksonville Jaguars K 95.8%
3 Robbie Gould San Francisco 49ers K 95.1%
4 Greg Zuerlein Los Angeles Rams K 95.0%
5 Graham Gano Carolina Panthers K 94.3%
6 Chris Boswell Pittsburgh Steelers K 92.1%
7 Justin Tucker Baltimore Ravens K 91.9%
8 Cody Parkey Miami Dolphins K 91.3%
9 Randy Bullock Cincinnati Bengals K 90.0%
10 Stephen Gostkowski New England Patriots K 88.9%
11 Matt Bryant Atlanta Falcons K 88.6%
12 Harrison Butker Kansas City Chiefs K 88.4%
13 Stephen Hauschka Buffalo Bills K 88.2%
14 Travis Coons Los Angeles Chargers K 87.5%
15 Jake Elliott Philadelphia Eagles K 86.8%
16 Matt Prater Detroit Lions K 85.7%
17 Adam Vinatieri Indianapolis Colts K 85.3%
18 Wil Lutz New Orleans Saints K 84.6%
18 Mike Nugent Chicago Bears K 84.6%
20 Ryan Succop Tennessee Titans K 83.7%
21 Chandler Catanzaro New York Jets K 83.3%
21 Kai Forbath Minnesota Vikings K 83.3%
23 Patrick Murray Tampa Bay Buccaneers K 82.6%
24 Dustin Hopkins Washington Redskins K 82.4%
25 Phil Dawson Arizona Cardinals K 80.0%
25 Cairo Santos Chicago Bears K 80.0%
25 Ka'imi Fairbairn Houston Texans K 80.0%
25 Sam Ficken Los Angeles Rams K 80.0%
29 Mason Crosby Green Bay Packers K 78.9%
30 Nick Rose Los Angeles Chargers K 78.6%
31 Giorgio Tavecchio Oakland Raiders K 76.2%
32 Brandon McManus Denver Broncos K 75.0%
32 Zane Gonzalez Cleveland Browns K Not exactly top of his class 75.0%
32 Dan Bailey Dallas Cowboys K 75.0

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This is just more demonstration of why Tommy Boy is so ignorant about the game of football.

The kicker IS an important element of the game.    It would not surprise me, if, after research, some 20-25% of all football games are decided by field goals and extra points,   or those that are missed.   Sure, it is the entire game, obviously, and if a team is OH SO good that it never has to rely on the success of its kicking game, that is one thing.   But, remember.....like every single one of the Patriots Super Bowl wins were by the margin of a field goal (and maybe their losses too).   Where would their dynasty be if Vinatieri had missed those two kicks.  What would we think about the Buffalo Bills if Norwood had made that kick.  What about that fuycking kick that Karliss missed, yet the refs gave it to him.  

Yes, a kicker may be AN answer, if not THE answer.    The point is simple, again:  many, many games come down to kicking.  You are foolish if you minimize the importance of it.

Let's just throw out the rest of the game and Tommy's argument. Gone-zalez makes the kick with three seconds left on the clock, tie game and were going to overtime. Would we have won in OT? Who knows, but at least we would have gotten there. He makes one of two extra points, and it's a win with that last second kick. 

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

so if the coach's knew he was hurt why in the hell was he out there ? 

9 minutes ago, syd said:

so if the coach's knew he was hurt why in the hell was he out there ? 

I don't buy the injury.   As somone said in the other thread...he had plenty of distance on his kickoffs and even the misses (other than the blocked one) had plenty of leg on them.   Just shitty direction.

We've played two of last years top teams in the NFL to the wire, and have only been outscored by three points while this motherfucker left 11 points off the board. What else needs to be said?

Fuck him, fuck the special teams coach, fuck the head coach, and fuck the GM for believing in him, and fuck Sashi Brown for drafting him in the first place.

We've lost at least four games in this losing streak due to special teams, and tied one as well, I can understand building the right way offensively and defensively and waiting for talent to develop, but there is no excuse for poor special teams, that's just not being good enough as an organization.

You gotta do better. Cant afford to lose close games and tie your archrivals because you cant make a fucking field goal.

Hue should be crawling up Jone's ass and Dorsey should be crawling up Hue's ass, and Jimmy should be crawling up Dorsey's ass and Dee should be going at Jimmy's ass with a double edged dildo, because there is no excuse for an organization to be bad at special teams. This kid should not have been on the roster.

Z

15 minutes ago, Zombo said:

We've played two of last years top teams in the NFL to the wire, and have only been outscored by three points while this motherShmucker left 11 points off the board. What else needs to be said?

Shmuck him, Shmuck the special teams coach, Shmuck the head coach, and Shmuck the GM for believing in him, and Shmuck Sashi Brown for drafting him in the first place.

We've lost at least four games in this losing streak due to special teams, and tied one as well, I can understand building the right way offensively and defensively and waiting for talent to develop, but there is no excuse for poor special teams, that's just not being good enough as an organization.

You gotta do better. Cant afford to lose close games and tie your archrivals because you cant make a Shmucking field goal.

Hue should be crawling up Jone's butt and Dorsey should be crawling up Hue's butt, and Jimmy should be crawling up Dorsey's butt and Dee should be going at Jimmy's butt with a double edged dildo, because there is no excuse for an organization to be bad at special teams. This kid should not have been on the roster.

Z

I literally lol'd while reading this, picturing the pure furry in your finger tips as you mashed away on the keyboard...... you're right on the money - although that last paragraph will haunt me for a while.   

15 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I literally lol'd while reading this, picturing the pure furry in your finger tips as you mashed away on the keyboard...... you're right on the money - although that last paragraph will haunt me for a while.   

I'm still trying to picture it. 

I may go grab a pencil and some paper.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

I've learned to recognize a Zombo rant when it starts and its best to just skim through so as to avoid reading some of his more haunting subjects and descriptions.   After an all clear on the initial skim through then it's safe to go back and read word for word.

He's still a incredibly huge doofus for missing out on the Jets game this week.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

We've played two of last years top teams in the NFL to the wire, and have only been outscored by three points while this motherShmucker left 11 points off the board. What else needs to be said?

Shmuck him, Shmuck the special teams coach, Shmuck the head coach, and Shmuck the GM for believing in him, and Shmuck Sashi Brown for drafting him in the first place.

You gotta do better. Cant afford to lose close games and tie your archrivals because you cant make a Shmucking field goal.

Hue should be crawling up Jone's butt and Dorsey should be crawling up Hue's butt, and Jimmy should be crawling up Dorsey's butt and Dee should be going at Jimmy's butt with a double edged dildo, because there is no excuse for an organization to be bad at special teams. This kid should not have been on the roster.

Z

Didn't we dump the ST coach from last year because of the shite job that he was doing.  And now, who do we got?  Not looking any better at all!  Is Hue coaching the STs?

Archived