THE BROWNS BOARD

How can a stud RB who touches the ball 350+ times a season be less valuable than a patty-cake D-lineman?

SkippinTurtles

I had to stare at this horrible headline, which was longer than the post itself, which I could only assume was about Kevin Mack... until it came to me ... You have a beef with Khalil Mack getting a contract from the Bears, while Laveon Bell has not been extended by the Steelers.

Ok.

Mack probably plays as many snaps and will have a much longer shelf life ... But I'm just glad I figured out what the fuck you are talking about.

Go Browns.

Z

Bell has already been replaced in Steelers lineup.. Bears needed help at their LB position with both Mack and their first-round Roquan Smith who will get the start

Last year the Bears started McPhee / Kwiatkowski / Trevathan at LB and McPhee is now with Washington. Nick K was a 4th-rounder but he's no Avery.

Mack is more valuable than Bell bc he plays a position not easily replaced..  Avery is a steal for us and will see a lot of time this season.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

I had to stare at this horrible headline, which was longer than the post itself, which I could only assume was about Kevin Mack... until it came to me ... You have a beef with Khalil Mack getting a contract from the Bears, while Laveon Bell has not been extended by the Steelers.

Ok.

Mack probably plays as many snaps and will have a much longer shelf life ... But I'm just glad I figured out what the Shmuck you are talking about.

Go Browns.

Z

Here's Mack's contract- the money Bell is asking for right out of the gate doesn't hit until year 4.   https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/khalil-mack-14414/

MHO is the Steelers are 100% right in telling Bell to go pound salt. Connor just equaled a typical Le'veon Bell day against the Browns and he's making $750,000 this year, my calculator says that's 1\22th of what Bell wants. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

"He wants to be paid exactly like Antonio Brown is paid. (Edit: for the record, Brown's contract is back loaded, https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown-6702/ he doesn't see that $17 million this year, the contract the Steelers offered Bell was front loaded, so he actually would have collected more than Brown the first couple of years)  So the Steelers are saying, 'Well, we're going to wait a little while before we address that fully because clearly the Steelers don't feel that that's where Bell's value is."

And it's hard to imagine that any of the other 32 teams feel differently -- though, as the old saying goes, it only takes one. For some perspective, consider this: Bell was the NFL's highest-paid running back last season when he earned $12.1 million on the franchise tag, $3.9 million more (in average annual salary) than Devonta Freeman, who was second on that list. Bell, who was franchised again this off season, is set to make $14.5 million in 2018, which is $6.2 million -- or 75 percent -- more than Freeman's salary.

That's insane, even given Bell's talents.

Also worth noting: for as good as Bell is, he ranked No. 5 in total value among all running backs last season, according to Football Outsiders, behind Dion Lewis (who just signed a four-year, $19.8 million deal with the Titans), Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt. Kamara and Hunt, by the way, were rookie third-round picks who earned $465,000 last season.

Also for the record Mack was Defensive player of the Year, a multi time Pro Bowler. I'll take that sort of patty cake on the Browns anytime. 

1 hour ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Mack has to be fresh to be effective.  Great RB's get better as the game wears on.

I agree with Zomblow on this one. Please try to post a thread topic that actually makes your point. Nobody wants to have to decipher WTF you are alluding to.

Regarding Bell, are you very young or new to football? For the past 25 years the Steelers have preferred to let great players walk rather than to be railroaded financially. Every year it is the same crap, fans of other teams dancing like faeries in the camp fire, believing that not signing a top player will mean the demise of the Steelers. Chad Scott, Kevin Greene and more, letf for greener pastures. Each time, without exception, the Steelers quickly and efficiently replace the hole, usually with someone from within.

Le Veon Bell most likely screwed himself, because the new gay, save a wet football fumble, did pretty damned well against what everyone says is a pretty good defense. If I am the Steelers GM, I tell Bell to go blow himself. They simply don't need the guy.

I am starting to accept the Hoorta philosophy that maybe good running backs are a dime-a-dozen.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

What’s your problem with patty-cake? You clap hands and pretend to bake a cake, but don’t actually bake a cake.

Honestly. Would you rather actually bake a cake? Gtf outta here with that.

I would rather spend some time with Stormy Daniels.

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I am starting to accept the Hoorta philosophy that maybe good running backs are a dime-a-dozen.

I don't think they're a dime a dozen...but a really good running back is just as likely to be found in the 2nd or 3rd rounds as it is at the top of the draft.   I hate the Steelers but they're right in not letting a guy like Bell hold them hostage.   He's not in as strong a bargaining position as he thinks he's in.    QB's are hard to find.....good RB's come out of nowhere every single year.

5 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Mack has to be fresh to be effective.  Great RB's get better as the game wears on.

LOL-obviously you did not watch Mr. 82 for 82 plays running the Pitt OL ragged and taking over the game in the 4th Q.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

NFL_Pyramid.0.jpg

.....right tackle is rated kinda' low huh...

What is this horse schidt?

3 hours ago, Orion said:

NFL_Pyramid.0.jpg

.....right tackle is rated kinda' low huh...

I’ve seen this before, and it’s dumb.

It mirrors the food pyramid and Maslow’s heirarchy of needs, except in those models the important shìt is on the bottom. Like the foundation. The things you build upon.

The shìt at the top is the less important crap. Like Funyons and “self actualization”.

34 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

What is this horse schidt?

Most important at the top.....obviously.      Whatdya think of the fatass left tackle?  How'd OUR LT do last Sunday.  What did his play mean to the offensive production?

4 hours ago, Mark O said:

I don't think they're a dime a dozen...but a really good running back is just as likely to be found in the 2nd or 3rd rounds as it is at the top of the draft.   I hate the Steelers but they're right in not letting a guy like Bell hold them hostage.   He's not in as strong a bargaining position as he thinks he's in.    QB's are hard to find.....good RB's come out of nowhere every single year.

Or lower. Arian Foster was a UFA. If the draft had only been seven rounds back then- so would have Earnest Byner. 

Bell will probably get a less than warm welcome when he decides to show up in Pittsburgh, and he will eventually, or else he's going to lose the year that will really make him a FA. As our Steeler fans have pointed out, at this point they can't pay him any more even if they wanted to. The Rooneys are probably appreciative of the fact every week he doesn't show that's putting another $880k back in their pockets.  

L.Bell wants 10 million a year less than K.Mack got.  Salary cap considered, Bell is the better value.  And both are cap nightmares.  Mack is great at what he does, but 24 million for one dude out of 11 on D, not a QB.  And getting hurt with that contract...ooof.  Could've paid for 4 impact starters with that Mack money.  Football players aren't superheroes.  They get hurt all the time.  Banking on 1 dude on defense to be 10x better than everyone else on the D because of his salary is unrealistic.  He can't live up to his contract, period.

23 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Mack is great at what he does, but 24 million for one dude out of 11 on D, not a QB.  And getting hurt with that contract...ooof.  Could've paid for 4 impact starters with that Mack money.  Football players aren't superheroes.  They get hurt all the time.  Banking on 1 dude on defense to be 10x better than everyone else on the D because of his salary is unrealistic.  He can't live up to his contract, period.

I agree.   But he sure came in handy last Sunday.

5 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

L.Bell wants 10 million a year less than K.Mack got.  Salary cap considered, Bell is the better value.  And both are cap nightmares.  Mack is great at what he does, but 24 million for one dude out of 11 on D, not a QB.  And getting hurt with that contract...ooof.  Could've paid for 4 impact starters with that Mack money.  Football players aren't superheroes.  They get hurt all the time.  Banking on 1 dude on defense to be 10x better than everyone else on the D because of his salary is unrealistic.  He can't live up to his contract, period.

I do not think that Mack is getting $24 million a year. No that can’t be right. 

7 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

I don't know where the hell you pulled those numbers from- but your math is WAY off. I posted the Spotrac link- I suggest you look at it. Total contract $$$$ mean exactly nothing. Mack will make $13.8 million this year. LESS THAN WHAT BELL WAS ASKING FOR, AND WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IF HE MERELY HAD SHOWN UP UNDER THE FRANCHISE TAG. Mack doesn't hit $24 million until the 2021 season, when the cap will undoubtedly be higher. I'm done trying to instruct you- believe whatever you want to. Neither can Bell live up to the contract he wants. Connor just put up Bell like numbers against the Browns, and he's making around 5% of what Bell is asking for. The Steelers are wisely not going to let Bell hold them for ransom. They already offered to pay him twice what any other running back in the NFL is making and that's not good enough for Le'veon. He'd rather flush $880,000 down the toilet every week he doesn't show up, and party in Miami instead. You want me to feel sorry for him? 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I do not think that Mack is getting $24 million a year. No that can’t be right. 

It's not Gip- go look at the link I already posted. 

Archived