THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns activate..........................DE anthony zettel......

Clevfan4life

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/9/6/17826394/detroit-lions-waive-anthony-zettel-analysis-explanation

and that right there is why the Lions cut him. Im getting that feeling again some guy in the FO is fukking off just to fuk off, ala Holmgren. Can someone explain to me why we cut DL depth meder and nassib for the likes of an Anthony Zettel and something soemting odenigbo?

Maybe other teams make mistakes.   It happens.  They cut this dude and they just gave up 50000 points to a rookie QB making his first ever start.    Maybe Mary Patricia isn't the  defensive genius everyone is making him out to be.

With you on this one clev. With resources galore and trying to balance the win now vs. win later, l don’t get why cutting the DL depth at zero hour was deemed necessary.

Maybe these dudes will pan out and make me see the light, but right now it feels like we had a perfectly functional unit ready for the season and then blew it all up for greener pastures.

BTW your link isn’t really linking, but l’m assuming it’s something damning that will further my flustration.

This thread is annoying.

LACK of bottom-of-roster churn is a symptom of a negative, non-winning culture.

Yes, Nassib can occasionally do something NFL-worthy.. but those flashes were not consistent game to game.  Zettel may not be good at much - but he is better than Nassib at pass rush, and we lacked PR last season.

This move speaks to a desire to have instant PR off the bench, much like a bench NBA player who's no-D but shoots the lights out.. say Jamal Crawford.

Back during Week 3 of the preseason, head coach Matt Patricia said something very telling.

“I would say the roster in general, a philosophy for us would always be if you only do one thing on this roster, it better be extremely well and at an extremely high level.”

Anthony Zettel could only do one thing on this roster, and to be frank, he didn’t do it an extremely high level.

Ya, we already did a thread on this, if you are not plowing the bottom of the roster, you're not doing your job. Orchard and Nassib underachieved... if you are clinging to the bottom of the roster after year three or year four, the team will probably take a look at somebody else with some upside they like.

Only thing I blame new front office for so far, is not going out and signing a veteran left tackle back in the spring so a promising guy like Harrison isnt starting Day 1 and holding back the team while we install a new offense.

Z

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Ya, we already did a thread on this, if you are not plowing the bottom of the roster, you're not doing your job. Orchard and Nassib underachieved... if you are clinging to the bottom of the roster after year three or year four, the team will probably take a look at somebody else with some upside they like.

Only thing I blame new front office for so far, is not going out and signing a veteran left tackle back in the spring so a promising guy like Harrison isnt starting Day 1 and holding back the team while we install a new offense.

Z

Except, I thought that they did with the signing of Greg Robinson.  No?

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

What does it say about the state of our roster that Zettel's level, even if it is nowhere near Garrett, was still greatly above that of everyone we cut?

Well, if you think he is better than the guys we cut, then what it says about our roster is that it should be improved.

Fair to say?

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Except, I thought that they did with the signing of Greg Robinson.  No?

He was a dude that was on the street since last year, that they took a flyer on.

I guess other than Nate Solder there wasn't a lot out there though, so I guess I mean Nate Solder.

Zombo

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....it was just one game.  If this guy is as talented as believed   (and everyone believed he was talented, he just did not get drafted because of off field issues), then can we assume that he will improve game by game?

Ya, I'm gonna walk back my original statement,  I didn't realize the list of free agent tackles was so weak ... bad year to lose Joe.

We did a good job getting Hubbard and we had four other guys to take a shot at LT (Coleman, Corbett, Robinson, Bito) before we went with the current lineup.

Guess we just have to ride with his guy and give him help  as much as we can. Corbett was actually inactive this week so, he looks like we'll be working on him to make an impact in 2019.

Harrison will be learning on the job ... and hopefully we can win around him while he does that.

Z

--Cam Erving in the first, Shone Coleman in the third, Rod Johnson in the fifth ... Shame that none of them worked out ... But some of our best LT's were undrafted or drafted late... Tony Jones udfa, Paul Farren 12th rd, Doug Dieken 6th rd TE.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

What does it say about the state of our roster that Zettel's level, even if it is nowhere near Garrett, was still greatly above that of everyone we cut?

it says our dc has completely abandoned the idea of stopping the run cause nassib was our best edge setter, yes better than garret...at least for now. Something that apparently zettel suks at according to this article.

but i digress ive not seen a single snap from this kid, so ill bow out of this discussion. I just was so initially taken back by the headline.....cause i assumed zettel must be some practice squad meat. But he's apparently not....so we shall see. 

if all these new guys cant get to the qb AND cant set an edge......expect to see too numerous to count posts about it till the end of the season. Im not gonna roast these guys if they're at least serviceable in compliment to garrett, as ogbah is who also couldnt set an edge with a giant scottish claymore. But if they suk at pass rush and suk at run d........why are they here.....

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Situational pass rusher. 

Already had those, h... I think Zettel will be the early down guy.

Feels to me like Dorsey is a pressure-the-QB guy. He's gone all-in on that and left it to Williams to figure out how stop the run... and that's going to heavily depend on Peppers in (or near) the box.

well we all saw on sunday what happens when u have a DL that doesnt do fundamentals like keep OL off the LB'ers. U can play that 2004 colts style defense of stopping the run on the way to the qb, when u have peyton manning dropping 2-3 TD's on a team before everyone has made it to their seats. Are we that offense and i just didnt know?

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

well we all saw on sunday what happens when u have a DL that doesnt do fundamentals like keep OL off the LB'ers. U can play that 2004 colts style defense of stopping the run on the way to the qb, when u have peyton manning dropping 2-3 TD's on a team before everyone has made it to their seats. Are we that offense and i just didnt know?

I literally was going to write the same exact thing Clevfan… 

If you are going to sacrifice run defense, you better have an offense that makes the opposing team's run game null and void on a consistent basis. 

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

They did to that in their heads, they instead drafted a guard in the 2nd round and moved Bitonio to LT.

And Corbett wasn't even dressed on Sunday. They're getting a pass on this and I don't know why. It's a huge Shmuck up

Archived