THE BROWNS BOARD

What is the Reality?

Ghoolie

Hue Jackson is a favorite topic of mine, and I think of others as well. It is hard to figure out the dynamic of his relationship with Haslam. I wanted the guy fired long ago, early on, others may feel the same, and some may stick with him. Hoorta thinks if he goes 0-5 or some such thing that he is toast. I stopped speculating because 1 - 31 - 1 and still having a job defies any logic I know.

If the field goal was not blocked, would you feel differently bout Hue today? The team still looks messed up, but better. Do you think if we made the field goal at the end Hue would be in better standing with Haslam? Do you think Hue is on thin ice now? How would you feel if we were something like 1-7 at the split? 

I hate to say it, but I think if the guy doesn't start winning a few games our FO is going to turn into a war of finger-pointing, then firing, then, here we go again from the beginning.

Personally, I think every game is not a must win for Hue.

Just now, The Gipper said:

I prefer not to overthink it.   Que sera, sera.

Yes, but it is starting to get some buzz in the sports media. I think a win Sunday helps.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

How would you feel if we were something like 1-7 at the split?

I'd feel we need to fire the bean counters in the FO for not getting 1-6-1 calculated properly at the split.😎

EDIT: But more seriously it all depends on what happens in those games that lead to losses. Were there a lot of key injuries, did the undisciplined penalties continue, did Hue waste TO so we ended up having no time to score at the end, etc. Or did we really play well and better teams just barely get us by some quirk of fate. All depends.

4 minutes ago, choco said:

was traveling up to clarion the other day and decided to stop in kittaning for some andy fat back BBQ.  

and boy was it good...little hole in the wall joint with about 5 chairs...

Misplaced from the "food" thread.  Or are you rebelling against attempted thought control?

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'd feel we need to fire the bean counters in the FO for not getting 1-6-1 calculated properly at the split.😎

EDIT: But more seriously it all depends on what happens in those games that lead to losses. Were there a lot of key injuries, did the undisciplined penalties continue, did Hue waste TO so we ended up having no time to score at the end, etc. Or did we really play well and better teams just barely get us by some quirk of fate. All depends.

Well, I think if we go to 0 -1-1 the buzz will heat up. I really do think Hue is now on a hot seat.

I think it depends on how badly we lose.  You have to think the Saints will be reeling after losing to Tampa Bay.  And we also have a lot to prove.  But it is a road game and they can be tough, especially with a team that is predicted to make it to the playoffs.  If we lose by a FG or less, then I would say it's ok.  Anything more, I might have concerns.  Now if our Oline doesn't block better, then it could really get ugly.   

19 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Some of us call it retirement and it's been too rainy the last several days to mow the grass.😘

I'm retired :P

3 hours ago, syd said:

don't you people have fuking jobs

Syd,

since you asked. I own a water technology company. I design and sell water treatment/wastewater treatment systems to industry and municipalities. So far this year I have placed about $4.2 MM of equipment with some of my longtime clients. I sold 5 systems, and a bunch of expendable items from my desk, at my home. I probably worked 160 - 200 hours at that business. I hire out installation groups and sell a service contract that they execute and pay me a fee. So, for the most part, I work maybe 6 weeks out of the year at this. I also perform as a keynote speaker on water issues 6 - 8 times per year. I get a nice fee, 4 of the water venues are in Vegas, so the Missus and I get 4 Vegas vacations on someone else's nickel every year. 

Unfortunately, a colleague of mine and I invented a new water technology a couple years ago. It is pretty exciting. The raw material comes from a crop waste that farmers give away, and it has the outlook of solving water problems, literally for 100's of millions of people. I say, unfortunately, because we have just accepted venture funding to launch the company. As a principal in the corporation, yuck.....I now have go back to work, albeit more as a figurehead and diplomat. So, I guess that is my Job.

As for the other guys, I don't know. Do you have a job? Just curious, Do you have teeth? 🙂

i'm  unemployed I do spend some time on the exit ramps with different various signs asking for money (but only on sunny day's) guess you could call me a fair weather pan handler other day's well I like to sun bath naked drink colt 45 and sniff bicycle seats while I am not doing that well I have the hardest time getting mirrors to stick to the top's of my shoes could you help me out with that ?

4 hours ago, syd said:

i'm  unemployed I do spend some time on the exit ramps with different various signs asking for money (but only on sunny day's) guess you could call me a fair weather pan handler other day's well I like to sun bath naked drink colt 45 and sniff bicycle seats while I am not doing that well I have the hardest time getting mirrors to stick to the top's of my shoes could you help me out with that ?

Well, if you really were a panhandler, yeah, I could help, and do.

Haslam over compensated by not firing Hue at the end of last season. He had become labeled as an owner with an itchy trigger finger, after creating a revolving door situation for head coaches in Cleveland. That is something that the local and national media created, so they could slap another negative on anything Cleveland. If this had been the Modell ownership, he would have been gone by game 8 of his first season. He obviously is not HC material, and never will be. I would like to think that Hue is on a short leash, but I've stopped trying to predict the Haslams. I would think at this point, after the success they have achieved in business, they would not be so concerned with how the media perceives them. My absolute biggest concern at this moment, is that there will be a power struggle between Haley / Williams and Hue, and the Haslams will side with Hue, and fire the coordinators.

18 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

Haslam over compensated by not firing Hue at the end of last season. He had become labeled as an owner with an itchy trigger finger, after creating a revolving door situation for head coaches in Cleveland. That is something that the local and national media created, so they could slap another negative on anything Cleveland.

Reporting facts is not creating anything. 

The Haslams rightfully earned their 'itchy trigger finger" reputation. Chudzinski got ONE year, Pettine got TWO years. 

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Reporting facts is not creating anything. 

The Haslams rightfully earned their 'itchy trigger finger" reputation. Chudzinski got ONE year, Pettine got TWO years. 

This is the thinking that keeps Hue employed. At 1 - 31 he would have rightfully been fired by any other owner.

5 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Haslam over compensated by not firing Hue at the end of last season. He had become labeled as an owner with an itchy trigger finger, after creating a revolving door situation for head coaches in Cleveland. That is something that the local and national media created, so they could slap another negative on anything Cleveland. If this had been the Modell ownership, he would have been gone by game 8 of his first season. He obviously is not HC material, and never will be. I would like to think that Hue is on a short leash, but I've stopped trying to predict the Haslams. I would think at this point, after the success they have achieved in business, they would not be so concerned with how the media perceives them. My absolute biggest concern at this moment, is that there will be a power struggle between Haley / Williams and Hue, and the Haslams will side with Hue, and fire the coordinators.

That's never the way it works. This is Hue's ship, and if it starts taking on water and sinking (with a bad record) he's going down with it. Either Haley or Williams will be promoted as interim head coach, I guarantee it.

It's obvious to me that Hue had some of his power removed. Dorsey is doing the roster, and I doubt hiring Haley was entirely Jackson's idea.

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That's never the way it works. This is Hue's ship, and if it starts taking on water and sinking (with a bad record) he's going down with it. Either Haley or Williams will be promoted as interim head coach, I guarantee it.

Well, as I see it, they hit the iceberg after his first season here,   And after last year, the ship snapped in two.  And if he fails again this year as badly, it means that the whole thing has broken apart and is headed for the bottom of the ocean.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What makes you think there is any delusion at all to this?   I mean, if you do not tow the line, I will send you to one of my minions:  this guy:

Thanks for proving my statement, and leaving no doubt.

Hue is out of excuses and he knows it. This is the fabled “year three” that everyone has been talking about.  If Hue doesn’t produce wins early he will get desperate and panic, as we’ve seen before.  If the Browns are 1-4-1 Hue will turn to Mayfield, and from there on out Jackson’s job is in Baker’s hands. 

7 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Part of what you say I believe is true, but part of it is speculation on what goes on in Haslam's mind. It may be true but then your own post kind of exposes the said speculation because you admit that predicting Haslam's mind is impossible.

I do believe Hasmam will side with Hue and the coordinators will be gone. 

I don't mean this in a arrogant way but in my.carreer I have several times been in jobs that I was involved with CEO/board decisions. I was on the low end of things and was  tag along, not a decision maker, but still I was in meetings the board and the top 3 or for execs in a company.

What I learned is that the general public, you and me, the fans, only see The choices of a guy like Haslam from our personal interest/point of view. In other words, we believe Haslam's life centers around football, winning, and all the things that matter to us come gameday.

However, Haslam's life, and goals are much broader than any of us can know. On one hand, it may be as we think, Hue could be on a short leash. Anothre possibility, and don't go off on me about being racist, is that Haslam and his wife have business interests that are enhanced by supporting a black HC, or it may be that the Haslam's honestly and heartily believe in broadening the racial equality in the NFL coaching system. It also could be that on a personal note they just like and believe in Hue over all this losing period.

I am not insinuation that Hue is some affirmative action coach. As I said before, this is a man of high character, and I admire him. Few.of us would have weathered the storm he has. And....with that said, it may be his character through all of this that has made Haslam believe in him even more.

All I am saying is, people who are filthy wealthy don't live in the world that we do. They have research, demographics and a much broader business plan for their empire than we can appreciate.

My defense for my thinking is not just my experience, but also reality. Here are two things for you to consider.

1) Hue Jackson  is 1-31-1. Do you believe if he were unemployed that any other NFL would hire him? The answer is obvious. So then ask yourself, why is he still here? For Haslam to save ridicule of being called a quick trigger? is that better than the ridicule of sticking with 1-31-1? Sorry bro, there are things unseen to us.

2) If Tomlin or  any other coach was 1-31-1 the talking heads would be cutting the guy apart  daily, speculating his firing. But when they talked about coaches in the hot seat, Hue, the worst of all by record seems to be hands-off.

You don't think that is a bit weird?

This is not just about football and the Browns. There is more driving Haslam that just the Browns record and FO.

Archived