THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns' Week 1 PFF Grades (via factoryofsadness.co)

Tour2ma

Offensive Line

JC Tretter, C, 69.1: The Browns’ best offensive lineman in Week 1 posted the seventh best grade among centers. Tretter was far more effective pass blocking (88.1) than run blocking (61.3). Not great when you don’t even have a lineman grading out with at least a 70 grade! Joe Thomas is missed!

Kevin Zeitler, RG, 62.6: Zeitler, the Browns’ highest paid lineman, was much better against the pass (83.4) than against the run (53.1). This was 25th best grade for a guard.

Chris Hubbard, RT, 57.0: Chris Hubbard turned in a 57.0 grade, good enough for No. 45 on PFF’s list to tackles. Gulp. A lot of attention was paid to the mistakes made by left tackle Desmond Harrison masking a rough game for Hubbard. He gave up a sack in addition to allowing three pressures and two QB hurries.

Joel Bitonio, 56.3, LG: Joel Bitonio had a tough matchup against Cameron Heyward. He was moved back to left guard after spending the preseason at left tackle. This grade was 42nd among guards. He’s supposed to be a Pro Bowl caliber player at this position. He needs to be better.

Desmond Harrison, LT, 40.4: The decision to go with Desmond Harrison at left tackle resulted in the Browns fielding the 60th rated tackle, according to PFF. The bottom line in the rookie’s debut: He allowed six pressures, five hurries and a sack.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2018/09/11/cleveland-browns-pro-football-focus-player-grades/2/

EDGE

Genard Avery, 90.3: The second best grade turned in by an EDGE defender, Avery played 44 snaps and trailed only Khalil Mack  in grading. Avery was more effective against the pass (90.3) than the run (59.8)

Myles Garrett, 82.3:  Myles Garrett turned in the seventh-best grade by an edge defender. Despite having some big sacks of Roethlisberger, Garrett graded out better against the run (90.4), compared to his 75.6 grade against the pass.

Emmanuel Ogbah, 65.2: Emmanuel Ogbah injured his ankle and only played 27 snaps.  Durability has been an issue with the third-year player.

Linebackers

Jamie Collins, 72.7: Jamie Collins was Cleveland’s highest rated linebacker, turning in the 18th highest grade for a linebacker in Week 1. This is actually surprising, considering the biggest thing Collins was remembered for was dropping an interception.  He actually graded better (72.0) against the run, than against the pass (66.8).

Joe Schobert, 64.6: A big drop-off from Collins to the Browns next rated linebacker. Joe Shobert also rated better against the run (67.5), than against the pass (56.4). Still, Schobert’s score reflects James Conner rushing for 130+ yards. Of course, Schobert, led the team in tackles, with eight.

Christian Kirksey, 28.8: Christian Kirksey rated 72nd, had one of the worst ratings for a linebacker. With a 32.3 grade against the run and 29.6 coverage grade, the Browns’ have got to be worried because these are horrific marks.

Secondary

Denzel Ward, CB, 85.6: No surprise here, Denzel Ward led the Browns secondary with what turned out to be the fifth best grade posted among corners.

Damarious Randall, S, 77.7: Randal had an interception and graded out as PFF’s 10th best safety.

Jabrill Peppers, S, 75.1: Jabrill Peppers is no longer playing 30 yards off the line of scrimmage. He was more effective against the run (74.1) than the pass (66.8).

Terrance Mitchell, CB: 45.6: While Ward was excellent, starter Terrance Mitchell was graded on the other end of the spectrum. Don’t forget, that yes, Ben Roethlisberger threw three interceptions, but he also threw for 300 yards.

Derek Kindred, S, 43.9: On the field for 63 snaps, Derek Kindred was one of PFF’s lowest graded safeties.

Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB: 42.2: Hailed for his versatility, this was not a great game for Briean Boddy-Calhoun. 

D-Line

Larry Ogunjobi, 83.4: Was curious about this one considering the game James Conner had. Ogunjobi graded out with an 84.2 grade against the run. He posted the NFL’s 11th highest score among defensive lineman, according to PFF. He had a sack, in addition to five quarterback hurries.

Trevon Coley, 55.4: With a 60.0 grade stopping the run, a lot of fans are wondering why Jamie Meder needed to be cut.

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

EDGE

Genard Avery, 90.3: The second best grade turned in by an EDGE defender, Avery played 44 snaps and trailed only Khalil Mack  in grading. Avery was more effective against the pass (90.3) than the run (59.8)

Myles Garrett, 82.3:  Myles Garrett turned in the seventh-best grade by an edge defender. Despite having some big sacks of Roethlisberger, Garrett graded out better against the run (90.4), compared to his 75.6 grade against the pass.

Emmanuel Ogbah, 65.2: Emmanuel Ogbah injured his ankle and only played 27 snaps.  Durability has been an issue with the third-year player.

Linebackers

Jamie Collins, 72.7: Jamie Collins was Cleveland’s highest rated linebacker, turning in the 18th highest grade for a linebacker in Week 1. This is actually surprising, considering the biggest thing Collins was remembered for was dropping an interception.  He actually graded better (72.0) against the run, than against the pass (66.8).

Joe Schobert, 64.6: A big drop-off from Collins to the Browns next rated linebacker. Joe Shobert also rated better against the run (67.5), than against the pass (56.4). Still, Schobert’s score reflects James Conner rushing for 130+ yards. Of course, Schobert, led the team in tackles, with eight.

Christian Kirksey, 28.8: Christian Kirksey rated 72nd, had one of the worst ratings for a linebacker. With a 32.3 grade against the run and 29.6 coverage grade, the Browns’ have got to be worried because these are horrific marks.

Eye opening numbers here,   Avery in the positive, Kirksey in the negative.   Just what did Kirksey do that was so bad?

50 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Eye opening numbers here,   Avery in the positive, Kirksey in the negative.   Just what did Kirksey do that was so bad?

I'm guessing it was more of a "what did Kirksey do at all?" situation. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Just what did Kirksey do that was so bad?

most the time when Pitt. FB Roosevelt Nix entered game his sole job was to find Kirksey or Collins..Collins faired better than Kirksey. Kirk had a heck of a time just staying on his feet most the day.Mingo flashbacks 

37 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Are PFF ratings like school grades? 90-100 = A, ect.. 

No... there's a lengthy explanation of their grading process somewhere on their website. I'll post it if I feel like it... ;)

EDIT: ... and I did...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-player-grades?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx8rT1Jm03QIVEyhpCh3KTwTwEAAYASAAEgJ5hfD_BwE

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

These grades seem to me to be on the money and reflective of what we saw on the field. The O line play is VERY concerning. I sure hope they spent a lot of time this week figuring that sh!t out. 

The OLine was drastically altered when, at the proverbial last second, the Browns switched Bitonio from LT back to LG and replaced him with an undrafted rookie from a DII school who missed time during training camp. Zeitler barely played all preseason, and there's a new starter at RT. 

I'm hoping that we incrementally start seeing progress with the OLine as they actually get used to playing together. 

A HUGE reason why I have zero interest in seeing Mayfield on the field any time soon. 

6 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

PFF sucks boys and girls. It's okay for a baseline on certain statistics but for the most part is wildly inaccurate. It's only gone down hill since it's inception.

Suck on this ...

Dm52mr2XsAIWm1W.jpg

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

PFF sucks boys and girls. It's okay for a baseline on certain statistics but for the most part is wildly inaccurate. It's only gone down hill since it's inception.

I have not really paid much attention to it over the years.

But I would like to know if those here who have agree with this assessment.

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The OLine was drastically altered when, at the proverbial last second, the Browns switched Bitonio from LT back to LG and replaced him with an undrafted rookie from a DII school who missed time during training camp. Zeitler barely played all preseason, and there's a new starter at RT. 

I'm hoping that we incrementally start seeing progress with the OLine as they actually get used to playing together. 

A HUGE reason why I have zero interest in seeing Mayfield on the field any time soon. 

Completely agree... rust... unfamiliar positions... unfamiliar groupings... and a raw talent.

It's gonna take a while for the unit to gel.

Archived