THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Official: The Refs Screwed the Browns

Dick Mellon

Wrapping up a QB and going to the ground is one of the roughing triggers.

I saw a ground-level replay yesterday from an angle behind MG... showed clearly that he did not land squarely on Ben, but only with his left side. And as said above MG extended his right arm to soften his landing. IIRC the ref that threw the flag was the ref to the left of the action. He simply had a bad angle to see the reduced impact going to the ground.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Wrapping up a QB and going to the ground is one of the roughing triggers.

I saw a ground-level replay yesterday from an angle behind MG... showed clearly that he did not land squarely on Ben, but only with his left side. And as said above MG extended his right arm to soften his landing. IIRC the ref that threw the flag was the ref to the left of the action. He simply had a bad angle to see the reduced impact going to the ground.

Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable.    There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable.    Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB.   Totally ridiculous.  Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty.    Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.

7 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable.    There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable.    Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB.   Totally ridiculous.  Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty.    Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.

Saw that... IMO the DE knew full well that the ball and the push was so late, that the flag was warranted. As the "Official" serving as the rules expert (that broadcasts need a "rules expert" says something in and of itself) said... the call leaned heavily on the unnecessary part of Unnecessary Roughness.

That said then the "expert" proceeded to question about every call from then on. Some, especially the Cinci DB holding/ interference call were laughable. If Officials exercised that degree of discretion he was advocating, then the league is truly fukced.

15 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Of course, if you allow that, then you would be opening it up for every penalty that is a judgment call to be scrutinized by replay:   Holding, pass interference, block in the back, etc. etc.   I guess the league would want none of that.  Not sure we should want that either.

Just now, The Gipper said:

Of course, if you allow that, then you would be opening it up for every penalty that is a judgment call to be scrutinized by replay:   Holding, pass interference, block in the back, etc. etc.   I guess the league would want none of that.  Not sure we should want that either.

Just give the coaches an extra challenge...and sure...can challenge any call since bascially every call is a judgement call anyways.    Penalty on a big play, like the 3rd down roughing call, throw the challenge flag and let the NFL office decide if its the right call or not.   If the whole point of having replay is to get the calls right, then why not use it to get everything right, not just the plays that are "reviewable".

27 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Just give the coaches an extra challenge...and sure...can challenge any call since bascially every call is a judgement call anyways.    Penalty on a big play, like the 3rd down roughing call, throw the challenge flag and let the NFL office decide if its the right call or not.   If the whole point of having replay is to get the calls right, then why not use it to get everything right, not just the plays that are "reviewable".

Fair enough I guess.    What about those last two minutes, which now are all booth reviews?

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it.  I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.  

And what happens when Ben (who is as big or bigger than most NFL linebackers) just bounces off and gets a big play?  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

The bad calls evened out in that game. Gordon said- and I totally agree, think even the NFL office said Haden clearly interfered with him in the end zone. Talk about a game changing no-call. Would have been Browns ball at the one.  

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it.  I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.  

No chance. If Garrett plays that way he might as well just stick to pass coverage. 

The whole pansy as s rule change is BS. NFL just having a knee jerk reaction to Aaron Rodgers getting hurt last year.

Archived