THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Official: The Refs Screwed the Browns

Dick Mellon

The NFL's head of officiating said Monday that officials erred when they penalized Browns defensive end Myles Garrett for roughing the passer, leading to a Pittsburgh Steelers touchdown one play later in the second quarter of Sunday's 21-all tie that extended Cleveland's long winless streak. - NFL dot com.

OK, well, the head of officiating said it was a bad call so they must be right.  It looked like a penalty to me BUT what the hell do I know.  The 3 Stooges at CBS, Greg Gumball, Trent Green, and Bruce Arians all said it was a good call as well.  The Steelers radio broadcast crew did not complain.  I guess we are all wrong.

21 minutes ago, Dick Mellon said:

OK, well, the head of officiating said it was a bad call so they must be right.  It looked like a penalty to me BUT what the hell do I know.  The 3 Stooges at CBS, Greg Gumball, Trent Green, and Bruce Arians all said it was a good call as well.  The Steelers radio broadcast crew did not complain.  I guess we are all wrong.

Actually not true at all.   They all questioned what they expect Garrett to do differently on that play.  He's running full speed at the QB and doesn't him him late, hits him just after the ball is thrown and gets a penalty.  I get player safety and protecting the QB's but there's nothing he couldve done differently on that play at all and the announcers said the same thing.

22 minutes ago, finger Mellon said:

It looked like a penalty to me BUT what the hell do I know.  The 3 Stooges at CBS, Greg Gumball, Trent Green, and Bruce Arians all said it was a good call as well.  The Steelers radio broadcast crew did not complain.  I guess we are all wrong.

Anyone who was paying attention saw Garrett use his R hand and arm to hold his weight off the best he could as he was sliding over the top. He did not just plow in on top with the intention of the QB staying down. That's not his way.

52 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Actually not true at all.   They all questioned what they expect Garrett to do differently on that play.  He's running full speed at the QB and doesn't him him late, hits him just after the ball is thrown and gets a penalty.  I get player safety and protecting the QB's but there's nothing he couldve done differently on that play at all and the announcers said the same thing.

Jack Lambert would have said that they may as well put skirts on the QB.    It was nowhere near that way when he played......but can you imagine his reaction to things now?

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Jack Lambert would have said that they may as well put skirts on the QB.    It was nowhere near that way when he played......but can you imagine his reaction to things now?

Yep....and if they're going to call penalties for the Garrett hit on a QB, we aren't far away from they can't be hit at all.   Just put flags on them and be done with it.   Teams will score 80 points each and the QB will never be touched.   It will be like 7 on 7 drills

It was a bad call on Myles who didn't try to kill the QB.

And we had a receiver having his head twisted off with no call for pass interference.  

We got screwed on a couple of calls there.

...and yup.  Karlis missed to the right!

2 hours ago, Mark O said:

After looking into the new rule, what they're trying to prevent is a WWF jump off the ropes full body slam. Another judgement call if it was intentional. 

Lambert was right. May as well use flag football rules on the quarterback.

6 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

We had our share of good calls...punt off the helmet...and a few others.

And a bunch of uncharacteristic turnovers to boot. How much free schidt do the Browns need to be given in order to beat the Steelers? The Browns still suck.

There was an ungodly amount of penalties called and TBH the Browns got more than their share of breaks on em. I can recall two questionable holding calls against Pittsburgh and as noted, I'm about 100% certain that hit Chubb's helmet on the punt. The refs gotta eat the damn whistle but to me it wasn't "unfair" either way. However, this call against Myles was absolute garbage. All I can hope for is that the NFL and refs glue to the review system to understand that this simply is not a penalty, and can't be a penalty again. 

If your team is +5 in turnovers you gotta win the dang game, just no excuse other than 1) Awful QB play, 2)coaching. The more I think about last week the more frustrated I get.  Hue several times just had that deer in headlights look.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

As, apparently, do the Steelers, since they tied the Browns.

They gave away a win. It is not something that will happen often. The Steelers are a far superior team to the Browns

My guess is the Browns radio crew thought it was a bad call. 😎

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

he hits ben than just falls down while he has him wrapped. He didnt lift ben up and spike/drive him. In what fukking sport is that a penalty? it might not even draw a warning in womens doubles tennis. Dafuq is the nfl doing.

I'll have to look again as I do not remember seeing MG wrap him. If he did, then he released before they hit the ground.

33 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

They gave away a win. It is not something that will happen often. The Steelers are a far superior team to the Browns

On paper, maybe & they're not far superior anymore. It's early yet. They have Ben and Brown, and a pouty Bell, if he ever decides to show up. I can posit a healthy Zumba Instructor is better than anything they have on their D-line, and Ward is looking like he's going to be better than anything they have in their secondary. Landry hasn't made the pro bowl for the last several years because he sucks. The the gap is narrowing. The tie was no accident, and has been pointed out by the talking heads, get a +5 turnover ratio, you should outright win 95% of the time. 

BTW, in the week one Power Rankings (aka Beauty Contest) none of them have the Browns as the worst team (one has them as high as #24) in the NFL anymore- that distinction belongs to the Bills. 

19 minutes ago, hoorta said:

On paper, maybe & they're not far superior anymore. It's early yet. They have Ben and Brown, and a pouty Bell, if he ever decides to show up. I can posit a healthy Zumba Instructor is better than anything they have on their D-line, and Ward is looking like he's going to be better than anything they have in their secondary. Landry hasn't made the pro bowl for the last several years because he sucks. The the gap is narrowing. The tie was no accident, and has been pointed out by the talking heads, get a +5 turnover ratio, you should outright win 95% of the time. 

BTW, in the week one Power Rankings (aka Beauty Contest) none of them have the Browns as the worst team (one has them as high as #24) in the NFL anymore- that distinction belongs to the Bills. 

Well, I think a lot of this reply is wishful thinking and pride of team. Ward and Zumba are not game changers week in and week out. The Steelers are still a far better team and a better franchise. The records will tell all.

3 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Well, I think a lot of this reply is wishful thinking and pride of team. Ward and Zumba are not game changers week in and week out. The Steelers are still a far better team and a better franchise. The records will tell all.

Um, I can't copy the video to here- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000960785/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-2-aaron-rodgers-restores-packers 

but scroll down to where the Browns are at #29, and take a look at the three minute video breaking down Garrett's big plays- and try and tell with a straight face me he's not a game changer. All he has to do is stay healthy.   This was a performance against a team their fans think they're Super Bowl level talent. Garrett beat them like a drum. 

56 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Bill Parcells said that you are what your record is, and you are only as good as your last game.    And they are both 0-0-1.  Right now it looks like they are a tie in terms of quality. 

Beyond that, I will say that the Squibs have a much more proven QB, and WR in BR and Brown.  And I think they have at this point a more stable OL. 

But would have to do a unit by unit, player by player comparison to tell what is really the case. 

19 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

And yet Cleveland has 13 championships, 

Call us when you catch up to halfway.  (yes, I said you).

steelers are currently the far superior "system".....because it doesnt change every year. We have more talent on our front 7 than tbey do, but they've been playing the same defense sinxe before sime of u millenials were born. They've had 2 fukking coaches since 99.

"2"

fukking "2".....and in that time they've won superbowls but even more important, they've been relevant almost every year.

They somehow missed the ball bouncing off our guy's head, even with 4 replay angles.  Without that, I'd say you're right.  But they messed up on both sides, so can't blame them.  

Garrett also didn't have to crunch Ben as hard as he did.  He was running FULL SPEED right at Ben, so Garrett HAD to know Ben was either going to throw it or tuck it away and get sacked.  Either way, there's absolutely NO BENEFIT of crunching him that hard.  None.  Garrett launched himself like a missile, and while I agree, it was completely legal, everyone on earth knows the NFL is trying to protect their QB's.  Garrett could've run as fast as he was, and just wrapped him up instead.  But he didn't.  

9 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

They somehow missed the ball bouncing off our guy's head, even with 4 replay angles.  Without that, I'd say you're right.  But they messed up on both sides, so can't blame them.  

Garrett also didn't have to crunch Ben as hard as he did.  He was running FULL SPEED right at Ben, so Garrett HAD to know Ben was either going to throw it or tuck it away and get sacked.  Either way, there's absolutely NO BENEFIT of crunching him that hard.  None.  Garrett launched himself like a missile, and while I agree, it was completely legal, everyone on earth knows the NFL is trying to protect their QB's.  Garrett could've run as fast as he was, and just wrapped him up instead.  But he didn't.  

Actually he did wrap him up and then released his R hand and arm to place it on the ground to hold off his weight from BB. It was purely a bad call. The ref was in the perfect position to see that arm and hand go out to the ground in an effort to not pile him into the ground. Even Ben understood what Garrett did. Ths was not a Suh piledriver.

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually he did wrap him up and then released his R hand and arm to place it on the ground to hold off his weight from BB. It was purely a bad call. The ref was in the perfect position to see that arm and hand go out to the ground in an effort to not pile him into the ground. Even Ben understood what Garrett did.

Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it.  I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.  

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it.  I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.  

However if he had tried to stop his momentum and failed, it would have been called as a late hit on the QB. You have to realize that Garrett is as fast as most NFL RBs. It takes a lot to slow down 270+ lbs going that fast.

EDIT: BTW it's not his athleticism, power or moves that surprises most opponents, it's his Mom and sister's championship track speed. Every time he puts on the jets to get someone running away from him I get surprised and I've been watching him for several years. It's also why I knew we had not seen him 100% since the ARK game his Jr year when he got that first high ankle sprain. He said after the Pitt game that this is the first time he felt he was back to that level since that injury.

Archived