THE BROWNS BOARD

why was gordon ignored for most of the game yesterday?

Clevfan4life

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hue can't keep his job past the end of this season, can he?

He was my guy a few years ago, I liked that he had *some* experience as a HC and he seemed to run a balanced, well-run offense in Cincinnati. 

But man oh man, I just do not get the impression ANYONE in the Browns organization really believes in him. Maybe I'm seeing things, but on 'Hard Knocks' Mayfield couldn't have acted less interested in having anything to do with him. He literally seemed to look at him with a "yeah, you are pretty much a dead man walking, dude" expression on his face. 

All depends on how the season goes.   Decent season, with a decent wins and loss record (something like 6 wins and a lot of close losses) and he's probably back again next season.    However, a 1-5-1 or something start and I think he's gone and it's Haley's team, Williams stays to coach the defense, or they go way off the board and promote a guy like Al Saunders all the way to the top (he was a HC in SD) and Haley and Wiliams stay in their current jobs.

On why Josh was invisible:

Tyrod likes to be careful with the ball.  He likes to be comfortable with where he's throwing it.  I'm sure that he's got virtually NO comfort level at all with Josh.  Josh chose not to show up for TC...which is where the playbook is actually learned.  Which is where the timing with the QB is acquired.  I'm betting that Tyrod was not sure if Josh knew that he was supposed to zig and not zag on any given play.  

Remember, when Josh finally DID show up to camp he couldn't practice because he had a hamstring thing.

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

On why Josh was invisible:

Tyrod likes to be careful with the ball.  He likes to be comfortable with where he's throwing it.  I'm sure that he's got virtually NO comfort level at all with Josh.  Josh chose not to show up for TC...which is where the playbook is actually learned.  Which is where the timing with the QB is acquired.  I'm betting that Tyrod was not sure if Josh knew that he was supposed to zig and not zag on any given play.  

Remember, when Josh finally DID show up to camp he couldn't practice because he had a hamstring thing.

I agree with you, but then you don't put him out there. You have to throw one deep to him where he prob won't get it, but if anyone can get it..it's him. Have to keep the defense honest. Single man bump and run for prob 4.5 quarters was not keeping the defense honest. But I do agree with you, most of that is on josh. Now apparently we're hearing that Josh wasn't supposed to be the starter and the coaches were caught off guard by him going out there with the first package. Another "thing" which makes me really groan out loud for our season prospects. And makes me think we'll be in the Nick Bosa hunt. 

7 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I agree with you, but then you don't put him out there. You have to throw one deep to him

I think he was mostly a decoy.  But like you say, if you don't throw him a deep ball (or something) than he doesn't draw the coverages that you want your decoy to draw.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I think he was mostly a decoy.  But like you say, if you don't throw him a deep ball (or something) than he doesn't draw the coverages that you want your decoy to draw.

He caught a 17 yard TD pass.  Do we not consider that a "deep ball"?

What generally IS considered a "deep ball"?

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

...yeah, that's on the deeper side of mid-range... IMO. 

Was a really nice job of catching the pass away from the defender and getting his feet down.  A beauty to watch.  But I'm hearing today that he wasn't always running the correct route...which I wouldn't find abnormal for the amount of football he's played in the last several years.  Especially this year with what, two weeks he's been able to practice (hamstring)?

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What generally IS considered a "deep ball"?

i dont think they threw to him once till the 4th quarter.....but then yeah, he made a nice play. I honestly think justva few passes his way earlier would have opened up the offense. They were blanketing njoku, tells u what the steelers think is our main offensive weapon. Or what they think tuhrod is capable of doing in those conditions. 

dammit i hate our qb situation. Cause now im starting to crack on my adamance that mayfield not step on the field. Sunday in the dome will tell me if tyrod can utilize our strengths. If he's shorting balls sunday and getting our receivers blown up............fuk me, cmon in bake

55 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Also doesn't help that Gordon's route combinations to setup the vertical were non-existent.   Couple that with Haden bailing pre-snap...  

ok so u know alot about this side of the ball, whats terribly complex about a deep sideline route? josh doesnt really need to know every new play in the offense to run some sime deep routes meant to just stretch the secobdary as a decoy, does he? did they just mot trust tierod to throw it overvthe top enough to where only josh had a chance at it? it just seems like if he is that clueless why even have him out there......theres something we should have been able to throw to.him to put a seed in the secondaries minds. Tyrod seems to be the variable on this one. If he wasnt getting open than get him out and put some of the guys in that showed promise in preseason. To have ur supposed stud #1 in single man bump and run all game means the steelers had no respect. 

24 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

To have ur supposed stud #1 in single man bump and run all game means the steelers had no respect. 

It does doesn't it...

They were probably on a Wait And See strategy.  -  We don't think Josh can possibly have the playbook down pat, nor have a rapport with the QB (s).  If he proves us wrong, we'll double cover him.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Also doesn't help that Gordon's route combinations to setup the vertical were non-existent.   Couple that with Haden bailing pre-snap...  

Knowing Gordon's history, there's a chance he didn't know the routes. Wouldn't be the first time he's come back to the Browns and run routes that didn't exist in the playbook as the plays were drawn up. 

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

If Tyrod wouldn’t have underthrown Gordon he’d have had 2TD’s on 4 targets. 

i dont necessarily disagree, cause tyrod missed all over the field including some gimme 5 to 10 yarders.....but those targets came late in the game, which had me puzzled. I initially figured this was haley seeing if josh would run out his routes even if the play wasnt coming to him

21 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

ok so u know alot about this side of the ball, whats terribly complex about a deep sideline route? josh doesnt really need to know every new play in the offense to run some sime deep routes meant to just stretch the secobdary as a decoy, does he? did they just mot trust tierod to throw it overvthe top enough to where only josh had a chance at it? it just seems like if he is that clueless why even have him out there......theres something we should have been able to throw to.him to put a seed in the secondaries minds. Tyrod seems to be the variable on this one. If he wasnt getting open than get him out and put some of the guys in that showed promise in preseason. To have ur supposed stud #1 in single man bump and run all game means the steelers had no respect. 

Wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring the question, just busy AF.

Boils down to Gordons intended use and where the coaching staff wanted Tyrod to go with the ball vs where he is capable and comfortable putting it and what the defense dictates.   As you can tell, the 50/50 shots downfield aren't his usual game unless it's his primary.   More on my thoughts later, prepping for a wedding.  

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

tia's getting' hitched?

Ha! Nearly went down that road once before bubs.  In no hurry to revisit it.   This is for a good friend of mine.  Lending a helping hand while I still have one to give. 

Edit: should preface my comment by saying that the Maid of Honor and myself already fight like a married couple - that's as close as I want to be spoken for at the moment.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Ha! Nearly went down that road once before bubs.  In no hurry to revisit it.   This is for a good friend of mine.  Lending a helping hand while I still have one to give. 

Edit: should preface my comment by saying that the Maid of Honor and myself already fight like a married couple - that's as close as I want to be spoken for at the moment.  

how old are you Tia?

JG was out of game shape and running in some rain and Tyrod never got settled in, so it looked like he wasn’t reading the defense very well. Njoku’s sideline drop after a drop did not help out either. I have a feeling flash will look like vintage flash in the New Orleans

Tyrod has to be better but the whole offensive unit does as well. Defense can tighten up too. 

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Sounds like a friend with "make-up sex" benefits.

On 9/15/2018 at 5:48 AM, Clevfan4life said:

how old are you Tia?

What is a pretty boy like you doing in a Board like this? 

Archived