THE BROWNS BOARD

why was gordon ignored for most of the game yesterday?

Clevfan4life

i started saying wheres josh around thev2nd quarter so from then on i was paying attn to how pgh was guarding him. Every time i looked down and saw #12 he was in single bump and run coverage.

Now i was at the game so i have to admit that 5-7 mins into the 4th we left down 21-7. Missed the whole comeback. So i know now what josh did, obviously....my question is why did it take till the 4th to target him? That cant be hue's call cause he has a huge boner for josh. This has to be haley. This has to be that indifference we saw during hard knocks towards josh. 

i get it if haley isnt terribly fond of a guy who shows so much promise than constantly flakes. Hard to design ur offense around that. But if pgh is gonna leave josh in single coverage, i mean, if he's out there throw to him. Pgh was not worried about josh gordon and thats a problem. A team worried about josh gordon opens things for ither wr's and also the run game.

for multiple reasons im concerned about internal power struggles inside the org

Honestly I think the OLine was so bad the first half that Tyrod didn’t even have time to look downfield to hit a WR. 

I think I heard the announcer say late in the second that the play Landry had to stop and make a cirus catch was the first WR completetion.

I’d also believe that Josh was probably not on the same page most of the game too.... Probably a combo of both.

15 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

i started saying wheres josh around thev2nd quarter so from then on i was paying attn to how pgh was guarding him. Every time i looked down and saw #12 he was in single bump and run coverage.

Now i was at the game so i have to admit that 5-7 mins into the 4th we left down 21-7. Missed the whole comeback. So i know now what josh did, obviously....my question is why did it take till the 4th to target him? That cant be hue's call cause he has a huge boner for josh. This has to be haley. This has to be that indifference we saw during hard knocks towards josh. 

i get it if haley isnt terribly fond of a guy who shows so much promise than constantly flakes. Hard to design ur offense around that. But if pgh is gonna leave josh in single coverage, i mean, if he's out there throw to him. Pgh was not worried about josh gordon and thats a problem. A team worried about josh gordon opens things for ither wr's and also the run game.

for multiple reasons im concerned about internal power struggles inside the org

He was covered most of the time ... more time in camp would have helped. And it was always a broken play behind that line too.

He's a stud, he'll get better and hopefully the line will too.

Z

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I can't remember who it was that was at the game but they said that Gordon was rarely ever open, in fact they mentioned that it seemed like he struggled to get separation... 

Pretty much what I saw from the TV myself..... not much of a sample size I wholeheartedly admit, but I don't remember seeing him get off the line of scrimmage and making me think "oh yea, he's gonna be open". 

2013 was a long time ago...................... 

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I can't remember who it was that was at the game but they said that Gordon was rarely ever open, in fact they mentioned that it seemed like he struggled to get separation... 

Might take some time.   He's only been practicing a week or two.  Plus the timing between him and Tyrod will take a bit of time and practice.

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

Might take some time.   He's only been practicing a week or two.  Plus the timing between him and Tyrod will take a bit of time and practice.

This offense might take some time, period. 

You have a new starting QB throwing to a WR in Gordon who had virtually no training camp who has barely played in the last four years, with an OLine with a guard in Zeitler who missed a lot of time in training camp on the right side, and a left side that had Bitonio as the apparent LT until right up to the end of camp, then moved back to LG and an undrafted rookie inserted into Joe Thomas' shoes. Plus Fells and Landry are new to the Browns, as are 2 of the 3 RBs. 

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This offense might take some time, period. 

You have a new starting QB throwing to a WR in Gordon who had virtually no training camp who has barely played in the last four years, with an OLine with a guard in Zeitler who missed a lot of time in training camp on the right side, and a left side that had Bitonio as the apparent LT until right up to the end of camp, then moved back to LG and an undrafted rookie inserted into Joe Thomas' shoes. Plus Fells and Landry are new to the Browns, as are 2 of the 3 RBs. 

At least we still have Hue. 

I focused on Gordon a lot. He played like a fat out of shape pig. I give him credit that he ran his route each rep (although nothing extra), but he wore a Steeler DB like a prep sweater. I’d imagine chicks broke free from being trapped in a bathroom stall with Roethlustberger than Josh shed coverage on Sunday. Get your ass in shape dumbass. 

ok well if he wasn't getting open than fine, hard to see that often from the stands. But sht, Pgh was stacking the box....just a deep wing over everyone's head targeting josh will get a secondary at least thinking about the deep ball and maybe help get some other guys open. It was good to see him get that TD tho…...and you can tell how much the team must like him so that kind of speaks for him. After all that's gone on, most guys on most teams would be over a guy with those troubles. 

54 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Not always going to be open but he was one on one plenty and Tyrod wouldnt go to him, Steelers were almost daring us to throw to Josh and we bailed

And when he's 1 on 1 you put the ball up high and let him take it away. He is good at that as evidenced by the TD.

41 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And when he's 1 on 1 you put the ball up high and let him take it away. He is good at that as evidenced by the TD.

Yep and get the ball in his hands on slants etc, sending him deep all the time is a waste

I'll never forget him running past Aqil Talib in NE for a TD, was a blur

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

Yep and get the ball in his hands on slants etc, sending him deep all the time is a waste

Yup... he's made a lot of yards on quick slants and bubble screens. Would have been nice to see one of each last Sunday.

That said... Hue said we had a plan for Josh. As I said in the Tavern it looked to me that that plan was to be a decoy. Announcers mentioned a couple times that the FS was shading to JG's side.

Then again Hue said JG wasn't going to start and apparently that was not part of the "ruse"... it was just a classic miscommunication... or a big FU from Haley to Hue.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I heard the announcers say several times "Tyrod had time but no one was open."

The announcers said several times "I'm surprised Tyrod didn't give Josh a shot because he had single coverage outside". I literally heard them say that at least twice. And then at the end of regulation, Tyrod finally gives it a shot, and guess what? He throws a terrible ball that's picked off. All he had to freaking do was get the ball out in front to give Josh a chance. Either Josh gets it or it's incomplete. I don't freaking understand. 

2 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

I heard the announcers say several times "Tyrod had time but no one was open."

And I heard people say:  "People were open but Tyrod didn't see them, or if he saw them, he chose not to throw it to them."

Now, part of that may be the pressure on him, part of it may be his conservative style, and part of it may be that he just does not have quick reactive timing to get the ball to people.    Or a combination of all three.

I hate to admit it but if Mayfield was playing, we lose to guys by 7 or more. Tyrod won't lose the game, but he won't win it either. (See what I did there). 

This Browns team is loaded. Hue reminded me of Tomlin Sunday. Got a team full of talent but can't get them disciplined enough to win with coaching. The Steelers win with talent alone and that's why they can't beat Belichick. 

Good luck the rest of the way. The AFC N is going to be the best division by far.

12 hours ago, hx214 said:

Honestly I think the OLine was so bad the first half that Tyrod didn’t even have time to look downfield to hit a WR. 

I think I heard the announcer say late in the second that the play Landry had to stop and make a cirus catch was the first WR completetion.

I’d also believe that Josh was probably not on the same page most of the game too.... Probably a combo of both.

Like I said in another quote, this was Josh's first preseason game.  He was a bit rusty and still caught a TD pass.  His game will improve. 

i get the "game shape" part, but is his speed no there? The whole decoy thing with a guy like josh is stretching the secondary out downfield. If ur not sending him consustently downfield AND not throwing to him...ur telling the defense he's just a decoy u dont trust to throw to and/or u dont trust tyrods arm in those conditions. Ben threw some nice deep'ish balls so obviously pgh wasnt feeling the samevway

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

i get the "game shape" part, but is his speed no there?

That Haden was step-for-step with him on that deep ball says not so speedy to me.

3 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

its a possibility joe had time to run under it.

More like "time to climb Josh's back"...

Live I was wondering why JG did not jump... I saw why in the ground level replay.

The all 22 showed up on my nfl game pass today. After one viewing, lets all remember Gordon was not at camp. He's in shape, just not 4 quarter football shape like most players showed this week. Also remember, Haley was not happy about losing players that have barely any game plan preparations. "What kind of shape is he in" was the question haley asked gitty Hue when Gordo's  plane landed. Gordon does seem to know Haley's playbook. No signs of hesitation of routes, just runs them with less a drive gear than Landry does. C.Coleman was also stealing #1 reps with Tierod while Baker was lighting it up in camp with Higgins & Callaway.(now seeing Ty reps) The all 22 shows who & why was getting open. It's #80 Landry. And worked with Tierod since day 1..Jarvis desire,footwork & upper body strength to get off guys is why he's pro bowl material with great hands. We hope Callaway,Ratley,Willies see's how hard Landry works and follows.Tyrod sat on 2 reads than got out to find a broken down covered play. A dome & the Jets may get Tierod going? or Hue starts mumbling a little louder about #6.. (1-31-1)        

51 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

It's almost like Haley was saying F you to Hue by starting him and F you to Gordon by ignoring him in the game plan. Lets hope he is past that now and ready to execute a sensible plan that plays to Gordon

Hue can't keep his job past the end of this season, can he?

He was my guy a few years ago, I liked that he had *some* experience as a HC and he seemed to run a balanced, well-run offense in Cincinnati. 

But man oh man, I just do not get the impression ANYONE in the Browns organization really believes in him. Maybe I'm seeing things, but on 'Hard Knocks' Mayfield couldn't have acted less interested in having anything to do with him. He literally seemed to look at him with a "yeah, you are pretty much a dead man walking, dude" expression on his face. 

Archived