THE BROWNS BOARD

5 Observations from "The Tie"

thenew23

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

As for the feared onslaught of targeting calls... I only saw one yesterday and it was deserved. Defender was properly ejected.

I assume you're referring to the hit the Bengals player laid on Andrew Luck. Agreed, the guy rightly got tossed for that one...  

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest takeaway was this, after my liver was finishing its process... Fourth quarter came around and I said well.... same old Browns. Then the fourth quarter played out... and not quite so much. The game would not have been worth watching if it was the same old Browns. I’ll wait and see what the O looks like when it’s not pouring rain the entire game. That O line though........

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

The Bucs are pretty loaded on offense with Jackson, Evans, OJ Howard, Brate, Godwin

Yup... not to mention that Fitz has a history of getting very hot in any given game... he just doesn't sustain the heat.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I assume you're referring to the hit the Bengals player laid on Andrew Luck. Agreed, the guy rightly got tossed for that one...  

That'd be the one...

4 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

No, I sound like someone who has watched the same shite for the last 5 years. Turning second and 3 into 3rd-and-we-can't-see-that-far. Defense makes a big play to get off the field and a stupid penalty gives the other team a first down inside the 5. A big turnover deep into opposing territory but a stupid penalty brings it back. You don't have to be a 5-year veteran to get the fukking snap count--two times in a row. You don't have to be a veteran to know not to block someone in the back.

Undisciplined play. Year after year. 

Year after year tells you something.  Us getting a different coach after 2 years is a big problem.  We'll never have any consistency until we keep a coach around at least 5 years. 

5 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

Of course who would have said that before the season started 😄

Plenty of people?

Their big "?" on the O-side is at QB. And Fitz went off Week 1.

I've seen multiple "experts" picking Saints v. Steelers in the SB, or at least both teams in their respective championship games. After week 1, neither team looked great but these are teams that will get better as the season goes on. That's what good teams do...

Having said that, this coming week will tell us a TON about our team.  The Saints just got embarrassed at home by a supposedly "crappy" team.  Sean Peyton will have his team ready to play, and the players will be eager to take their frustration out on the Browns.

Will we be able to match their intensity? If the Browns don't realize they need to come ready for a fight right out of the gate, then they're in trouble. 

No weather, no injuries... just good 'ol head-to-head football.  If they can compete for 4 quarters, then we're looking at a different Browns team. If they can tie or better, then we're looking at, dare I say, a potentially good football team...

I think we need to start Baker and I've thought so since the preseason. I think Tyrod is a solid QB in the right offense but Haley doesn't play to his strengths. We won't be able to run a consistent offense unless we get Tyrod out of the pocket and making more easy reads. Bottom line he holds on to the ball too long looking for his receiver to get open instead of trusting his man to be in the right spot. He drink and dunked all through the preseason and it's pretty much what he did in this game with a handful of of shots that looked like he knew where he was going with the ball before the snap.

Kirksey is kind of trash. Hes not bad against the run but he can't cover. The play with James and the long gain by Juju were because he didn't make a play. If we didn't just give him a huge payday I would say put him on the trade block and start Burgess.

2 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I think we need to start Baker and I've thought so since the preseason......

If we throw the kid to the wolves now - behind that offensive line..... You can kiss any chance of him becoming our franchise QB goodbye. 

Wash  -  Rinse  -  Repeat ....... 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

If we throw the kid to the wolves now - behind that offensive line..... You can kiss any chance of him becoming our franchise QB goodbye. 

Wash  -  Rinse  -  Repeat ....... 

I don't think so. He looks like just needs experience. He manipulates the pocket extremely well and get the ball out quick. He will make our offensive line look better. He is just better than Manziel, McCoy, Weeden, etc

1 hour ago, BaconHound said:

Ward probably had the most consistent game.

Garrett was really good but a couple of bad penalties.

Landry looked good but not great.

Hyde and Taylor both looked really bad.

I’m not sure why Zane is still on this team.

Haley and Hue do not seem to be on the same page

Dan Bailey is still out there, right?

Z

1 minute ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I don't think so. He looks like just needs experience. He manipulates the pocket extremely well and get the ball out quick. He will make our offensive line look better. He is just better than Manziel, McCoy, Weeden, etc

He won't last 13 quarters before he's hurt physically, and sooner than that mentally. 

Tim Couch would like a word with you. 

11 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

.Will we be able to match their intensity? If the Browns don't realize they need to come ready for a fight right out of the gate, then they're in trouble. 

To be fair, being that the browns haven't won a game in more than a calendar year, I'd say they have just as much if not more motivation than the Aints

2 minutes ago, D Bone said:

He won't last 13 quarters before he's hurt physically, and sooner than that mentally. 

Tim Couch would like a word with you. 

I completely agree.    As bad as the offensive line looked yesterday, I'd prefer Baker not see the field for a good long time, preferably not till next season.    Tim Couch is the perfect analogy.

30 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I completely agree.    As bad as the offensive line looked yesterday, I'd prefer Baker not see the field for a good long time, preferably not till next season.    Tim Couch is the perfect analogy.

Or at least until the bye week this season for the final six games...

But I concur totally with the gist of what you are saying, for sure. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but I haven't seen it, but I'm still beyond pissed about the penalty called on Garrett for his hit on Roethlisberger that gave the Steelers a first down and eventually their first touchdown of the day. 

How exactly are you supposed to take down a 6'5, 240lb QB who has made a career of extending plays by not going down with arm tackles? Garrett hit him cleanly with his shoulder, wrapped him with his arms and drove through him... LIKE EVERY KID IN FOOTBALL HAS BEEN TAUGHT TO TACKLE SINCE THE BIRTH OF THE Shmucking SPORT. 

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but I haven't seen it, but I'm still beyond pissed about the penalty called on Garrett for his hit on Roethlisberger that gave the Steelers a first down and eventually their first touchdown of the day. 

How exactly are you supposed to take down a 6'5, 240lb QB who has made a career of extending plays by not going down with arm tackles? Garrett hit him cleanly with his shoulder, wrapped him with his arms and drove through him... LIKE EVERY KID IN FOOTBALL HAS BEEN TAUGHT TO TACKLE SINCE THE BIRTH OF THE Shmucking SPORT. 

The rule stinks but you have to adjust.  You can’t keep getting them because the rule stinks.

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

While we're on the subject of penalties, what was the unnecessary roughness call on Gordon?

It was a running play...He blocked his man (If you could call it that) And then he shoved the guy to the ground . What did I miss ?  It's still football right? You're allowed to knock people down!

3 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

The rule stinks but you have to adjust.  You can’t keep getting them because the rule stinks.

Nah the rule needs to go and will be reviewed. As has been said they also called it wrong and objectively cost the browns 4 points. Theres no way that can ever be a penalty in the nfl.

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

I thought the team missed Danny Shelton in a run stopping role. Really never understood his decision to trade him to NE

It really became a head-scratcher when young guys like Brantley and Meder - got cut the following training camp. I assumed Shelton was traded because the organization liked the younger and cheaper DTs they've gotten, but then they got rid of them too...  

13 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

Year after year tells you something.  Us getting a different coach after 2 years is a big problem.  We'll never have any consistency until we keep a coach around at least 5 years. 

I agree with this except that I would say we keep getting the WRONG coach. The Browns fall into the trap that a lot of teams that are searching for a coach fall into: hiring the 'hot' coordinator/assistant coach expecting that his qualities as an assistant will automatically transfer to head coaching success.

The list of successful coordinators who didn't make the transfer to successful head coach is long and not limited to: Lindy Infante, Richie Pettibone, Chris Palmer, pretty much everyone who has coached under Belicheck---and, I'm afraid, Hue. One notable exception is Bill Cowher. He succeeded Chuck Noll and you saw an immediate difference on the field. I'm talking attitude, disciplined play, 'stage presence', if you will. Cowher had a presence on the sidelines that the players responded to. I think back over the last several years in Cleveland and it's fukking depressing. Shurmer always looking like he was about to burst into tears every time the Browns committed a stupid penalty to kill a drive or give the other offense new life. Hue with that perplexed look on his face after every stupid penalty--"Uh, what just happened?"

For the first time in a long time I'm actually impressed with some of the talent we're putting on the field. But until we find 'our Cowher', someone who brings passion and who inspires the players... after Chud was fired after one season I remember several players were upset because they thought he was such a swell guy. The problem was that they quit on him a month before the season ended. We have to find that guy who will put the fear of god in players but who will also inspire them to run through a brick wall. Until then, I fear we're just spinning our wheels.

Edit:  P.S. Several years ago I read an article about Bill Parcells. By that time he was with Dallas, I think. Keyshawn was one of his players at the time. One quote which stood out for me came from Phil Simms: "Football players want to be led, and Bill Parcells leads."

The Browns need a leader.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Nate don't like no ties. He thinks Mayfield would have won it.

A QB playing in bad weather in his first NFL game behind an OLine that was a sieve would have ran away with a victory? 

Hmmmm…. 

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A QB playing in bad weather in his first NFL game behind an OLine that was a sieve would have ran away with a victory? 

Hmmmm…. 

I don't agree with him, but he is a former Browns player with an opinion. I said elsewhere that Baker needs to stay on the sidelines at least until this OL is fixed well enough to utilize his skills without getting hospitalized and out for the season. We need to thoroughly peruse other team's PS and any FA still left out there (if such an animal exists). Might help to stop playing musical chairs and actually coach whom we have. Wiley is totally unimpressive to me. Got to be a better OL coach out there somewhere.

I don't start Baker 2 NOLA in that noisy dome vs. what was a very good D in 2017...

... but regardless of the outcome, if TT does not play well Week 2, then I start Baker the following Thursday... at home... vs. the Jets.

11 hours ago, BrownB499 said:

While we're on the subject of penalties, what was the unnecessary roughness call on Gordon?

It was a running play...He blocked his man (If you could call it that) And then he shoved the guy to the ground . What did I miss ?  It's still football right? You're allowed to knock people down!

Block was late and far enough away from the end of the play that it was "unnecessary"... thus the name of the penalty. ;)

Swap uniforms and we'd be calling it a "cheap shot".

I think JG was frustrated and took a shot at the source.

Archived