THE BROWNS BOARD

5 Observations from "The Tie"

thenew23

#1) First and foremost, the top reason I feel optimistic about this team AFTER this game is the fact that they were down 21-7 almost halfway through the 4th quarter, and they just turned it over on downs. At this point, if your a Browns fan, you'd be lying if you didn't think this game was over, and had the same feeling we've all had countless times over the past two decades.  Yet this team didn't quit. They buckled down and gave us 7 1/2 minutes of football we all should be proud of.  Regardless the outcome, that was not what we are all accustomed to. I was expecting a 31 or 35 to 7 final score at that point. Just being honest.

#2) The O-Line is a work in progress... to put it nicely. The false starts on Harrison stood out, but overall he played like you'd expect from a talented rookie in his first NFL game. My biggest concern is Hubbard. Watt had 4 sacks, granted not all of them were on Hubbard, but overall I didn't think he looked very good. Surprised he was given that RT spot from day 1, especially with all of Hue's talk of "earning" the job.  Hopefully, this group gets better because 7 sacks is just unacceptable.

#3) Less worried about Tyrod's poor performance than Haley's, and also Njoku.  First Haley, no attempt to establish the run early (10 of first 11 plays were passes), and some shotty play-calling throughout. Despite the national praise he gets, if you talk to Steelers fans they were not very sad to see him go. Second, Njoku had 2 big drops. This cannot continue if he's going to have a breakout year, which we really need from him.  Time to focus. As far as QB, I'll allow some slack due to the weather. TT's QBR/Rating was 42.6/51.8, while pro bowler Ben's was 22.8/60.5. I look forward to seeing Taylor play in the dome next week, no excuses.

#4) Defensive playmaking was outstanding. It's early, but it looks like they got 2 first round picks right for a change in Garrett and Ward. They need to shore up the run D, but overall this group looks like they have a chance to be really good. I expect them to get better as the season goes on, for a change.

#5) I hate to say it, but the team they just played was no pushover.  Many "experts" are predicting the Steelers to go as far as the AFC championship. They have a good O-Line, weapons galore, and of course a QB. Their D is somewhat questionable, but they have a few playmakers on that side of the ball as well. We didn't pull off the W, but it sure was one hell of a game, sloppy albeit.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I learned was Tuh'Rod has 0 ability to throw the deep out.. Let alone hit the broad side of a barn,,, he sucks pure donkey pud!

11 minutes ago, nickers said:

All I learned was Tuh'Rod has 0 ability to throw the deep out.. Let alone hit the broad side of a barn,,, he sucks pure donkey pud!

I was there- with Stan- continued play like that out of Taylor, and we're going to see Baker sooner than later...  

Oh, and Garrett lived up to his #1 overall draft status Sunday, stay healthy Myles. 

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Have to agree a good QB wins this game . How many times was Josh Gordon in single coverage and T Rod never changed the play or even looked his way pre snap

11 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Have to agree a good QB wins this game . How many times was Josh Gordon in single coverage and T Rod never changed the play or even looked his way pre snap

But he didn't exactly lose it either.....I guess the definition of a tie. Opportunity lost but not totally a failure, sorta.

Still a very young team with a lot of new parts they will get better as time goes on.

53 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

We would have won the game without all the offsides and procedure penalties.  Thankscoach!

Pizzburgh should have won it in regulation. The BROWNS at least gutted it out that far.

But still a tie....sucks..

I will be honest. Even if we had won this game in OT like we should have, this game would have left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. The win would have lessened it, but it would still be there. Here are my observations.

1. Defense sucked other than the turnover game.. You cannot build a good defense on the hope you strip a ball or snag an INT. A rookie RB ran through us like butter yet again. God only knows if they would have burned us in the long game if it weren't raining.. It was an exciting defense, but they better address it fast. I cannot stand to watch another year of people running through us like a sieve. 

More to come.

11 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

I will be honest. Even if we had won this game in OT like we should have, this game would have left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. The win would have lessened it, but it would still be there. Here are my observations.

1. Defense sucked other than the turnover game.. You cannot build a good defense on the hope you strip a ball or snag an INT. A rookie RB ran through us like butter yet again. God only knows if they would have burned us in the long game if it weren't raining.. It was an exciting defense, but they better address it fast. I cannot stand to watch another year of people running through us like a sieve. 

More to come.

That rookie RB did get some nice holes to run through. 

2. Offensive play calling sucked butt yet again. It's like last year all over again. Conservative when you should take risks, inexplicable risks when you should be conservative. Shmucking delayed hand offs and screen plays that went nowhere.. Overall the playcalling was predictable and infuriating.

3. Special teams sucked.. I am a Michigan fan through and through, but it might be time to admit Peppers has no place on this team. It was inexcusable of him to kneel on the 40 yard line with no one within 25 yards. Had he returned it even just 15 or 20 yards, the whole dynamic of that last drive changes.   The whole game he was standing off the line like he was defending a punt return or something... Blocked field goal, nearly ever special teams play resulted in a flag on either us or them..

The whole game was sloppy and painful to watch.   Because they showed so much grit in coming back, they have earned me watching one more game next sunday.. I literally tore my jersey off and was getting ready to chuck it in the trash when Conner fumbled and started that whole Shmucked up series of events.... 

We didn't deserve that tie based on our play.. It was pure luck and grit that got us there instead of steady and dominant play from play 1 of the 1st quarter. 

I AM SICK OF NOT DOMINATING GAMES... We deserve better.

BobPound!

Last thought then I have to get to work.

Except the craziness that ensued at the end of the 4th quarter, THIS WAS THE SAME TEAM.. I know we are getting all kinds of accolades from the NFL press about our grit and determination.. But let's be honest.. Garret, Ward and our ability to cause turnovers was it.. This team was boring, predictable and infuriating for 3 1/2 quarters of football.... I was livid at half time and left the bar with my wife in disgust...

Again, only the luck/skill of Conner getting stripped of the ball negated some of that bull crap play... Without Garrett and the Defensive line, we lose this game handily even with a 7 to 1 turnover ratio.. That stat alone is unforgivable.

I will watch next week, just because the Defense did such a tremendous job in being exciting at least.. Never have I jumped up and yelled F U C K Yes so many times on the defensive side of the ball..

Run defense sucked as usual. Big Ben picked us apart when it counted as usual.. Only the exceptional play of the real winners on this team kept this from being yet another embarrassing same old same old loss at Browns Stadium 

3 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

So, which QB won it?  

Did anyone take inventory of Roethlisberger's turnovers? He had 3 INTs and a fumble right?  What kept us in the game?  You can say it - Roethlisberger's turnovers.  Anyone remember the reason we brought Taylor here?  Not to turn the ball over that frequently so we stay in games with a chance to win at the end.  We got a FG blocked at the end. His fault?

As bad as Taylor looked, he made some big plays in the 4th quarter to erase the 14 point deficit and he made some in OT as well.  The throw to Higgins was pretty clutch.  The TD pass to Gordon counted on the better athlete to make the catch - which occurred.

All that said, look how much better Buffalo looked without Taylor.  They only lost 47-3 to Baltimore.  They were a playoff team last year and Baltimore wasn't. 

31 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

2. Offensive play calling sucked butt yet again. It's like last year all over again. Conservative when you should take risks, inexplicable risks when you should be conservative. Shmucking delayed hand offs and screen plays that went nowhere.. Overall the playcalling was predictable and infuriating.

3. Special teams sucked.. I am a Michigan fan through and through, but it might be time to admit Peppers has no place on this team. It was inexcusable of him to kneel on the 40 yard line with no one within 25 yards. Had he returned it even just 15 or 20 yards, the whole dynamic of that last drive changes.   The whole game he was standing off the line like he was defending a punt return or something... Blocked field goal, nearly ever special teams play resulted in a flag on either us or them..

The whole game was sloppy and painful to watch.   Because they showed so much grit in coming back, they have earned me watching one more game next sunday.. I literally tore my jersey off and was getting ready to chuck it in the trash when Conner fumbled and started that whole Shmucked up series of events.... 

We didn't deserve that tie based on our play.. It was pure luck and grit that got us there instead of steady and dominant play from play 1 of the 1st quarter. 

I AM SICK OF NOT DOMINATING GAMES... We deserve better.

BobPound!

Bottom line ---Steelers handed game to us on a silver platter---"Take it, we don't want it!"--and we Brownsed it up.

Once again--stop me if you've heard this one---undisciplined play---two procedure calls IN A ROW turn 3rd and 3 into 'Punt team, you're up'. Stop Steelers on 3rd down in red zone but surprise! stupid-butt penalty gives them a first down. At the end of OT Schobert runs interception inside the 5 but surprise! stupid, unneccesary penalty brings it back.

Hue says they have to clean up the mistakes, but this is the same shite we've watched for the last 10 years. Stupid, unneccesary penalties at crucial times continuously negate any positive play on the field.

Also, for the last 2 weeks I've heard about how our revamped receiving corps was going to take advantage of a weak Steeler secondary. But all day I hear the announcers saying over and over about how no one was getting open. 

Lather, rinse, repeat.

33 minutes ago, Flugel said:

So, which QB won it?  

Did anyone take inventory of Roethlisberger's turnovers? He had 3 INTs and a fumble right?  What kept us in the game?  You can say it - Roethlisberger's turnovers.  Anyone remember the reason we brought Taylor here?  Not to turn the ball over that frequently so we stay in games with a chance to win at the end.  We got a FG blocked at the end. His fault?

As bad as Taylor looked, he made some big plays in the 4th quarter to erase the 14 point deficit and he made some in OT as well.  The throw to Higgins was pretty clutch.  The TD pass to Gordon counted on the better athlete to make the catch - which occurred.

All that said, look how much better Buffalo looked without Taylor.  They only lost 47-3 to Baltimore.  They were a playoff team last year and Baltimore wasn't. 

Tyrod was not the issue... Undisciplined play on all sides of the ball. Stupid penalties. For as good as Garret did that completely unnecessary push in the back at the end of OT cost us the game.. So you could argue we aren't there without Garret, but because of him we get a tie and not a win.

Peppers not moving the ball forward on that punt return...

Two offensive illegal motion penalties takes a 2 and 2, to a punt. 

Things that teams getting better do not do...    

Offensive play calling sucked butt.. Why come out passing so much? Use our running back by committee approach and wear them down.. Screen plays, delayed hand offs were fooling no one. If you're going to run it, Shmucking run it and dare them to stop you.. Stop with the bull crap calls trying to "disguise" it and just commit to running the ball up the gut...  Where were the crossing routes on the passes?  Lots of fades..

And if I saw Landry toss his hands up asking for a pass interference call I was going to throw a rock through the TV.. RUN THROUGH THAT Sheet!! He was supposed to be setting the tone for this team. And sure his stats looked great, when it counted he dropped balls and didn't run good routes...

I have never been so mad at a Team than this one right now.. Everyone at work is saying "You must be happy" and i just want to punch them.. I am not happy with this game... I wanted a dominant consistent team that didn't wait until the game is almost over to decide to try and win.

BobPound!

1 hour ago, BobPOUND! said:

More to come.

I want to point out that the defense forced some of those turnovers.  Also, when your offense can't get it going your D will eventually get exposed.  A few of those big plays we need to clean up, but I'm proud of our defense.

2 minutes ago, blowe said:

I want to point out that the defense forced some of those turnovers.  Also, when your offense can't get it going your D will eventually get exposed.  A few of those big plays we need to clean up, but I'm proud of our defense.

They were exciting for sure. We got some great mismatches and Garrett is as real as it gets. Not only did he get those sacks and strips, but what wasn't pointed out is that he drew at least 2 if not 3 holding penalties while being double teamed. It was the only way they could stop him.  

Maybe I am wrong, but can a defense give up that much offense and still be effective by causing so many turnovers? Maybe? If so then we have a lot to be happy about. Because the Steeler's O line is top notch and Big Ben doesn't get sacked or picked off by the Browns.. So what does this mean for the rest of the league? Are we going to tear them apart.. I hope so...

But Conner ran through us just like Bell just like every year before.. Ben made the plays when he had to and our bend don't break defense was on display again because our offense kept them on the field for too long.. Just like always.

" I wanted a dominant consistent team that didn't wait until the game is almost over to decide to try and win."

totally realistic expectations after this team won 1 game in 2 years, with 60% roster turnover, in the first game of the season, playing in a monsoon, against one of the front runners to go to the superbowl...   

19 minutes ago, blowe said:

Agreed. Only gave up 21 to the Steelers AND forced 7 turnovers.  I was frustrated at times, but overall they played well against what will be one of the best offenses in football...

26 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

I am not happy with this game... I wanted a dominant consistent team that didn't wait until the game is almost over to decide to try and win.

BobPound!

Sorry, but this team was 0-16 last year yet you want them to come out and DOMINATE?... lol

For your own health, you might want to lower expectations.  A lot of football left this season,  and I'm sure it won't be all Browns dominating.

But believe me, I want the same thing but I understand where this team is and what it is going to take for them to become a contender... and it will take a lot of edging out ugly wins to get them going...

Tyrod is supposed to be the "safe" QB who makes good decisions with the ball, but can also dial up a few passes when needed..

That last drive in regulation, idk what the fuk he was thinking! That INT he threw was costly.. We were going down the field, about to score..

We could of ran some inside slants or comeback routes, but noooo lets let TT throw up a fuking duck like that...

HE was not impressive.. Outside of his ability to run, he is mediocre at best..

As I said elsewhere I do not want the better defense reading, more accurate QB out there UNTIL I see an offensive line playing together that is NOT letting the QB have to make decisions in less than 2 seconds 90% of the time. If we get a QB killed I'd rather it be the one who will run first and minimize big hits, not the one who will get off the quick accurate pass as he's getting lit up and eventually out for the season. Fix that OL and that does not mean changing dance partners 1 or 2 times an f'n week at the last minute. I mean why the hell was Corbett inactivated when he started every preseason game with the 1's? Whose f'n decision was that? I never saw any report that he had any injury that put him on the back burner. Did anyone else?

More or less agree with OP's takes, but do not share his "Haley concern"... at least not to a great extent. I think he took the opportunity to air attack early before the weather worsened. I wasn't at the game (those who were can chime in), but my take from the broadcast shots of the stands coming out of commercial breaks sure made it look like the rain grew heavier as the game progressed.

My TT concern is arm strength. Sure looked like the wind was playing holy hell with all his intermediate to deep passes. On the TV every pass from right to left (away from "The Pound") seemed to be underthrown; every pass from left to right (towards "The Pound") seemed to be overthrown. I'm sure there were exceptions here and there, but in general that was my take. Again those in attendance can chime in on wind direction and strength. Add that TT seemed to have wet ball issues based upon his inaccuracy on even shorter passes and it added up to the debut we saw. Put those together with unreliable PassPro and we saw a nervous QB all game long. Agree with OP that the Superdome will tell us a lot next week by eliminating two of three factors.

My biggest single concern as I have posted here elsewhere is our run D... especially inside between the OTs. Our DTs are not run stuffers and it showed all game long.

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

My biggest single concern as I have posted here elsewhere is our run D... especially inside between the OTs. Our DTs are not run stuffers and it showed all game long.

And LBs were getting picked off left, right and center. And we let Brantley go at the last minute for unknowns why?

Same criticism for the OL changes. Why so many at the last second?

9 hours ago, thenew23 said:

. . .if you talk to Steelers fans they were not very sad to see him go. . . .

As a Steelers fan, I was not sad to see him go coz it's Ben's offense now and he has the maturity and experience to run it. The reality is that PIT scored more points with Haley then they ever had in 84 years of being at team.    PIT is still running the Todd Haley offense.  Haley is a bit of an aśshole and he piśsed several people off so he got non-renewed for being a díck.  He is a Pittsburgher, so it should be no surprise to yinz that he is an aśshole and a díck.  We all are.

Yinz would be much better off with Haley as the Head Coach (HC), as the general impression that Hugh has made with Steelers insiders is that his team lacks discipline and leadership at the HC position.

Jimmy Haslam, as a Steelers insider has stated that he wants the Browns organization to mirror the Steelers.  A good step in that direction would be to have an aśshole from Pittsburgh as the Brown's HC.

Haley is dedicated and driven and he will be able to provide the leadership that is missing with Hugh at the controls.

Haley won 42% of his regular season games as a HC and took his team to the playoffs (1 and done.) How often have the modern Browns won 42% of their games and made the playoffs? CLE has had a winning percentage exceeding 42% four times and made the playoffs once over the past 19 seasons.  

Well, here are the things I took away from this game.

1) Very sloppy game. Perhaps due to the wet ball, receivers had trouble hanging on to it, QBs had trouble throwing it accurately. Doesn’t explain all the penalties on both sides, though. Looked like preseason.

2) PGH should be celebrating, because any time you turn the ball over that many times and don’t lose you are very very lucky. They kept trying to give the game to the Browns and the Browns kept trying to give it right back. In the end neither side wanted it so they tied.

3) Someone on this board describes Conner as mediocre. Well, in that case a mediocre running back carried 31 times for 135 (4.35 avg) and 57 more yards on receptions, on what I think is a much improved Browns defense. PGH oline worked well and opened up holes, and I think I now get why they are not too bent out of shape over Bell holding out. 

4) As I understand it, every week Bell holds out frees up almost $900,000 PGH cap space. PGH may have concluded that his main value is in the cap space he creates by NOT showing up, and the comp pick they will get when he signs elsewhere after the season. Would he be as good elsewhere without that  oline?

5) Browns are a maturing team, I see 4 or 5 wins this year. Hue, Ithink, is Dead Coach Walking. Bet you two of the Krispy Kreme’s that fell behind Romeo Crennel’s desk that Haley will replace him partway through the year.

6 minutes ago, Buck The Frowns said:

4) As I understand it, every week Bell holds out frees up almost $900,000 PGH cap space. PGH may have concluded that his main value is in the cap space he creates by NOT showing up, and the comp pick they will get when he signs elsewhere after the season. Would he be as good elsewhere without that  oline?

21 minutes ago, finger Mellon said:

As a Steelers fan, I was not sad to see him go coz it's Ben's offense now and he has the maturity and experience to run it. The reality is that PIT scored more points with Haley then they ever had in 84 years of being at team.    PIT is still running the Todd Haley offense.  Haley is a bit of an aśshole and he piśsed several people off so he got non-renewed for being a díck.  He is a Pittsburgher, so it should be no surprise to yinz that he is an aśshole and a díck.  We all are.

Yinz would be much better off with Haley as the Head Coach (HC), as the general impression that Hugh has made with Steelers insiders is that his team lacks discipline and leadership at the HC position.

Jimmy Haslam, as a Steelers insider has stated that he wants the Browns organization to mirror the Steelers.  A good step in that direction would be to have an aśshole from Pittsburgh as the Brown's HC.

Haley is dedicated and driven and he will be able to provide the leadership that is missing with Hugh at the controls.

Haley won 42% of his regular season games as a HC and took his team to the playoffs (1 and done.) How often have the modern Browns won 42% of their games and made the playoffs? CLE has had a winning percentage exceeding 42% four times and made the playoffs once over the past 19 seasons.  

Uh oh, I agree with a Steeler fan.

Regarding yesterday's game, I'll take the tie. Down 21-7, it didn't look good at all. Plus, in my office pool I have a 9-6-1 prediction, so I'm in the driver's seat lol.

On to NO. Let's hope the o line play improves, and we hang in there with a chance for an upset.

Archived