THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Steelers Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm more angry at this tie than anything last year. Just once...just ONCE you magnificent shitbags....find a way to win an effing game. JUST ONE TIME YOU PATHETIC LOSERS. 

Yessir. Emotion l jive with. However, silver lining, what a weird àss way to start the season right? A tie? Who even does that anymore?

I gotta admit. I am unreasonably fired up. A tie on opening day? That is such a Browns thing to do, but also a Browns thing in the right direction. 

That’s my team. Fúcking up standings from get go in the AFC.

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Morning, kids.   God bless anybody who went to the Muni, Burke, etc etc to tailgate.   Too cold and rainy for me at this point.  I'm not 18 anymore.   

Ah the weather wasn't that bad, nothing to light drizzle, light rain. Rain got a lot heavier in the 4th quarter and OT. The real deluge came on the drive back home after 8 o'clock. 

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Unfortunately I was thinking during most of the game that the rookie Baker could have read the defenses far better than TT was doing. It showed in preseason. But that said I don't want him out there until this team can decently pass block, which they can't.

Taylor was slow in his reads- and I'll agree- he had plenty of off target throws. 

36 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Has there ever been one? Even before that?

Think they said you have to go back to 1971 for a tie on opening day. It's the first time the Browns and Steelers have ever tied- in a zillion games. BTW, the last time the Browns had a tie was in 1989 against the Chiefs. 

Some of you guys are disappointed- but I'll take it as a moral victory. I had a loudmouth Steeler fan sitting next to me I was about ready to punch out. 

12 hours ago, blowe said:

Hey guys, it could be worse.  I jumped up to celebrate us tying the game and I broke my foot.

There comes an age when you have to carefully consider jumping...

Think they said you have to go back to 1971 for a tie on opening day.

I believe that is correct.  And FYI, that was before they even instituted overtime in the NFL, which did not come in until the 1974 season.

And face it, with the reduction of the OT period from  15 minutes to 10 minutes,   we ARE going to get a few more  ties.

Which could make things interesting at the end of the season when determining playoff spots, and seeds. 

Example:    1989:

Browns win division with 9-6-1 record

Steelers AND Oilers finish with 9-7 records,   Bengals go 8-8.

Steelers and Oilers had to meet each other in the Wildcard game.  (Steelers  won that game...IN OT!!

49 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Think they said you have to go back to 1971 for a tie on opening day.

I believe that is correct.  And FYI, that was before they even instituted overtime in the NFL, which did not come in until the 1974 season.

And face it, with the reduction of the OT period from  15 minutes to 10 minutes,   we ARE going to get a few more  ties.

Which could make things interesting at the end of the season when determining playoff spots, and seeds. 

Example:    1989:

Browns win division with 9-6-1 record

Steelers AND Oilers finish with 9-7 records,   Bengals go 8-8.

Steelers and Oilers had to meet each other in the Wildcard game.  (Steelers  won that game...IN OT!!

I'll let the trivia exert look this one up if he feels like it. Has a team had more than one tie in a season? 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I assume you mean, since they implemented the OT rule for regular season in 1974?  Before that it was a regular situation.

Either- most ties in a season, one team since 1920.  :)  

Just now, hoorta said:

Either- most ties in a season, one team since 1920.  :)  

Well.....since the  the OT rules came into play, the answer is that  NO teams have had 2 ties in the same season Here is a list of all the tie games since then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games

Note, many years there were no ties.  In fact, the league went from 1989  to 1997 without having a tie game. Then there were 2 in 1997,  but not another one for another 5 years in 2002.

There were no tie last season, 2017.

But, as I said, with the shortened OT, I think we will be getting a few more, here and there.

So, just FYI  Here are a few facts about tie games:

The Akron Pros  won the very first NFL title with an 8-0-3 record.

A number of teams in the early years, the 1920s would have 3 ties on their record.

The team that had the most tie games in a season were:

The 1932 Chicago Bears, whose record was    7-1-6    They were awarded the NFL Championship based on this record!!  The Packers who went 10-3-1 were given 2d place!)

The next most number of tie games were the 1925 Frankford Yellow Jackets who finished  9-4-5.    (Packers won with 12-0-1 record)

Three other teams in history finished with 4 ties:  1924 Bears  6-1-4  (cleveland Bulldogs given title at 7-1-1); 1925 Orange Tornados and the 1932 Portsmouth Spartans.

Now....the LAST time an NFL team had 2 ties on its record was 1973, the year before the rule change. And actually 4 teams, including the Browns had two ties on their record.  Perhaps those 4 teams with 2 ties prompted the rule change to go to regular season OT.

The LAST team to have 3 ties:    1970 San Diego Chargers

Does anyone know who got credt for the late sack of Ben? The one where he appeared to trip over one of his OL or the turf and then was touched down?

I thought I saw in the one ground level replay that a Brown on the ground reached between an OL's feet and grabbed Ben's ankle. I thought it was MG, but I could not see a number.

15 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Yessir. Emotion l jive with. However, silver lining, what a weird àss way to start the season right? A tie? Who even does that anymore?

I gotta admit. I am unreasonably fired up. A tie on opening day? That is such a Browns thing to do, but also a Browns thing in the right direction. 

That’s my team. Fúcking up standings from get go in the AFC.

I mean, just ONCE...ya know?  Six turnovers?  How is that even possible?  How did Joel Bitonio of all people get pushed back 7 feet into the kicker?  How are the special teams STILL so bad?  Jabrill Peppers called a fair catch with NOBODY around him?  Jesus man.  HOW?  We literally got every single break one team could possibly get in that game, and we STILL didn't win?  It's almost impossible.  

We really couldn't have a slow start to the season offensively.  Why?  Because we're about to start hearing the chants of Baker Mayfield, that's why.  Heck, I bet there were a few yesterday.  If Tyrod has another poor game against the Saints, we're going to start hearing louder chants for Baker to play.  Granted, Tyrod had to play in the driving rain ALL game, but COME ON GUY.  

Oh, and kiss my butt Njoku.  Tyrod's best pass of the entire day, and you drop it.  Would've been 1st and 10 from their 31 yard line.  But nooooooooooooo.

40 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh, and kiss my butt Njoku.  Tyrod's best pass of the entire day, and you drop it. 

I wonder if the earlier TT high ball on a seam route that got Njoku lit up flashed before his eyes.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I wonder if the earlier TT high ball on a seam route that got Njoku lit up flashed before his eyes.

"lit".......but no call. Which i was ok with, its football. But i screamed up there in the nosebleeds with steelers fans thatvwe'll get a call against us similiar. And lije 10 mins later myles let too much of his body mass fall near ben upsetting the fluffy pillows that were laid down to catch ben from that nasty DL's intentions. Still Furious at that call

NFL admits ref was wrong to flag Myles Garrett for roughing Ben Roethlisberger

Michael David Smith
50 mins ago

Browns pass rusher Myles Garrett was flagged for a hit on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday that the NFL now says was legal.

NFL V.P. of Officiating Al Riveron told NFL Network that Garrett did not land with most of his body weight on Roethlisberger and shouldn’t have been flagged.

“The rule specifically says ‘most, if not all, of your body weight,'” Riveron said. “So we want that player to make an effort. And the last three or four weeks, we have pulled extensive video to show the clubs exactly what we’re talking about, and we probably last week showed 5-to-1 or 6-to-1 of legal hits, or legal contact, as opposed to illegal contact. Because the question we get all the time is, well, what do you want our players to do? Well, they have to not put the weight on the quarterback. And this one [on Garrett] yesterday showed, even though there is some body weight on Ben, this is not what we would consider contact that rises to the level of a foul.”

There are questions, however, about whether defenders can ever really refrain from putting most of their body weight on a quarterback they’re sacking — and whether officials can judge whether a player has put most of his body weight on the quarterback. This new rule is going to be a hard one to call consistently, and it was called wrong on Sunday in Cleveland.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/10/nfl-admits-ref-was-wrong-to-flag-myles-garrett-for-roughing-ben-roethlisberger/

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

How did Joel Bitonio of all people get pushed back 7 feet into the kicker?  How are the special teams STILL so bad?  

Because you can't jump over the center anymore. The Steelers IIRC ran three guys at Joel. Unless you're superman, you can't withstand three guys trying to knock you backwards.... 

25 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

NFL admits ref was wrong to flag Myles Garrett for roughing Ben Roethlisberger

Browns pass rusher Myles Garrett was flagged for a hit on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday that the NFL now says was legal.

I said in the Tavern at the time that looking at the replay Myles had clearly stuck out his right hand & arm on the ground to try to lesson the weight on the QB he had just run through and was sliding over. There was nothing else he could do since he had to dive to make the tackle in the first place. Myles is a great player but he's never been a dirty player like Suh who is out to permanently hurt whomever he hits.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Does anyone know who got credt for the late sack of Ben? The one where he appeared to trip over one of his OL or the turf and then was touched down?

I thought I saw in the one ground level replay that a Brown on the ground reached between an OL's feet and grabbed Ben's ankle. I thought it was MG, but I could not see a number.

I also thought it was MG-when I watch it  again I will pay close attention.

Even after review, We got a gift when ball hit chubb on the helmet on punt that pitt.recovered 🤫..Pitt. got called for 12/-116..Browns got called for 14 with 11 accepted -87 yards.. A Hold on Zeitler was declined/1 Ill.Motion on Landry declined & 1 Ill. formation was declined against Harrison.. Does Tie/rod stutter? 4 False Starts=1 Joel.1 Njoku,2 Harrison.Garrett drew 3 flags,in the zone,roughing,block above waist..Block above waist was also called on D.Rice & O.Charles..Gordon 1 roughing..And we drew a Leverage penalty that remains unnamed by  https://www.nflpenalties.com   BTW-Colquitt knocked 6 of 12 punts inside the 20 with a 57 yard long on a messy day..      

Archived