THE BROWNS BOARD

Desmond Harrison is Left Tackle

Zombo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I don’t think they really were blindsided by his retirement, but l think the timing of the announcement was a bit of strategery on the Browns’ part to give them more leverage in negotiations with free agent tackles.

How so?

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm still a bit testy that the Browns were caught virtually blindsided by a Joe Thomas retirement that anyone with a half a brain knew was going to happen at any time.

Did they think he was the Bartolo Colon of Left Tackles? 

I catch myself feeling that way too until I big picture it Dutch.  We drafted the guy in 2007 and he never missed a start performing at an elite level until his 11th season in 2017.  On a constantly sinking ship full of holes - he was the 1 spot they could always say "there's 1 priority we don't have to worry about THIS year."  If you have what looks like the next Jackie Slater misplaced on a team that never found THE QB and reliable play makers/tools to work with - it's hard to say let's prioritize us some LT today.  That said, the draft day hope/plan was they would develop a guy like Shon Coleman or Spencer Drango to be an eventual replacement. Neither guy made the final roster.

If my blowhard 101 is boring - you don't have to read the rest of this...

In my lifetime following this team, I've seen us find Tackles like 2 time Pro Bowl RT Cody Risien RD 7, LT/RT/OG Paul Farren RD 12, LT Tony Jones UNDRAFTED FA, RT Orlando Brown UNDRAFTED FA, LT Rickey Bolden RD 4, LT Doug Dieken RD 6. All of them started for playoff teams here. When you have a FO that can nail mid-late round picks as well as undrafted guys on the oline in particular - it's a nice commodity.  In a league today that really leans on passing games and protecting blind spots of franchise QBs (against the best pass rushers), it's increasing the priority to draft LT prospects more in RD 1.  That's why EVEN the NE Patriots that I keep hearing 1 Barfly announce never draft oline in round 1 - drafted Nate Solder 17th overall RD 1. However, sometimes the LTs drafted up real high like Lane Johnson at #4 overall end up moving to another position like RT or Robert Gallery moved to RG or Tony Mandarach finally settling in to be a pretty good OG.  The good news for each is they HELPED teams.  The bad news is they were drafted way to high for the niche.  Philly ended up paying 2 OTs the investment of an elite LT.  The irony is neither one of them started at LT the last 10 weeks of the regular season and throughout the playoffs in their only SB Championship season.

If Ghoolie was ever coherent - he might have been able to realize Joe Thomas was never our enemy or his Freddy Krueger.  It's been the setup musical FOs creates.  The 2007 season alone should have reminded us what things could be like if we ever had a QB that could throw 29 TD passes in just 15 starts + a WR that could contribute 80 rec 1289 yds16 TDs + a TE with 82 rec 1106 yds 5 TDs + RB  with 1304 rush yds 9 TD w/30 rec 284 yds 2 TDs + a 6'5" Joe Jurevicius in the slot adding 50 rec 614 yds on those smaller sized 3rd corners.  Unfortunately, there's a reason DA always settles into a backup role and it reared it's head the final quarter of the 2007 season.  Aside from Joe Thomas making his 1st of 10 consecutive Pro Bowls, a career backup QB became a Pro Bowl Alternate plus Braylon Scissorhands Edwards made his only Pro Bowl + KWII made the Pro Bowl.  Considering Baltimore pronounced the legs of Jamal Lewis to be dead and buried - 1588 total yards w/ 11 TDs didn't suck.  Our line that year from Left to Right was Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Hank Fraley, Seth McKinney/Ryan Tucker, Kevin Shaffer. The TE with underrated dual purpose ability that helped set the edge was Steve Heiden...

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I like what Williams says about Myles helping Desmond on seeing everything there is from a DE against him in practice that has made him not only better, but prepared for everything that can be thrown at him because of all the things Myles can show even in one practice.

If something happens to.hue, and im not saying i want it to....but if it does, thats the guy i want replacing him.

oh and can u all just pls stop defending joe thomas against ghooloies obvious troll is obvious trolling? its embarrassing. Just sit back and watch the game tommorrow, if tuhrod is constantly running to his right all game u know we can just sit back and roast ghoolie mon morn. 

i honestly dont know howvthis ia going to pan out. If watt and dupree are dinged than perhaps harrison can hack it. I think they're gonna run tommorrow, alot

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

How so?

To whittle down the price of prospective free agent tackles, like Hubbard who signed shortly before Joe’s official announcement. Conceivably a free agent could use knowledge of Joe’s retirement as leverage in negotiations. If they know the team is desperate for a starter they could use that to raise their asking price.

22 hours ago, Zombo said:

He might be OK between Fells and Bito. Let's hope no penalties. We have our best interior together, that is for sure.

Expect a lot of quick hitters to Landry and company in the first half while kid gets his feet wet.

Zombo

I feel better about having those 3 together on the inside as corbett worried me and I hope you are right about landry as I have him on my draft king team

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I like what Williams says about Myles helping Desmond on seeing everything there is from a DE against him in practice that has made him not only better, but prepared for everything that can be thrown at him because of all the things Myles can show even in one practice.

I just love Gregg period.

Apparently that's twice now that MG has been "caught" coaching up teammates. Really cool...

His work against Orchard actually showed me we have an a TE in waiting should the need ever arrive.

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Apparently that's twice now that MG has been "caught" coaching up teammates. Really cool...

His work against Orchard actually showed me we have an a TE in waiting should the need ever arrive.

Which was verified in preseason when he was the first one down under a punt and chased the guy sideways until he made the sure tackle. He is damn fast that's for sure.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:49 PM, Tour2ma said:

Here's hoping for Harrison...

Good luck, kid... you're going to need it.

Tour, I believe we had a gentlemen's bet on who would be the left tackle opening day ... I had Corbett and you had Coleman ... Shows you what we know!

Do I get any points for Corbett at least being on the roster?

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Tour, I believe we had a gentlemen's bet on who would be the left tackle opening day ... I had Corbett and you had Coleman ... Shows you what we know!

Maybe a beer... but I remind you that Shon is also on a roster. ;)

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

Albeit inactive today?  Nah!

On 9/7/2018 at 1:21 PM, Ghoolie said:

LMAO .......................... A WALK ON........LMMFAO.

I HAVE TOLD YOU ALL ALONG OFFENSIVE LINEMEN ARE A DIME-A-DOZEN. THE EASIEST GUYS IN THE WORLD TO FIND AND REPLACE. THE LEAST TALENTED ATHLETES IN ALL OF PRO SPORTS. MAYBE THE BROWNS ARE FINALLY GETTING SMART, FOR SURE THEY AGREE WITH
GHOOLIE ON THIS.

THE "GREAT" (PHONY) JOE THOMAS JUST GOT REPLACED BY A WALK ON.....................

I PROMISE YOU, THE GUY WILL BE EVERY BIT AS GOOD. PROBABLY BETTER SINCE THOMAS WAS SCHIDT AT THE RUN.

I predict the offensive line will be the weakness of this teams offensive production.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Well, so far he hasn't held at least.   

True dat... and more...

The few plays I focused on him I was actually impressed. Errors were more mental than physical so there's hope.

He certainly handled DuPree's speed rush most of the time... and DuPree has a respectable speed rush.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

True dat... and more...

The few plays I focused on him I was actually impressed. Errors were more mental than physical so there's hope.

He certainly handled DuPree's speed rush most of the time... and DuPree has a respectable speed rush.

I'm sure I'll have a going over during the week for my own curiosity.  But from the madness of today's game I saw a mix of two things

- lack of communication and anchoring vs pressure  

- Haley setting up some questionable play calls  

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

- lack of communication and anchoring vs pressure 

Communication-wise I'm not sure how it can be otherwise at this point.

Agree on the anchoring... a couple times Heyward flipped to Harrison's side and pretty much owned him. Harrison is listed just under 300#... to my eye under 290 is more like it.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Communication-wise I'm not sure how it can be otherwise at this point.

Agree on the anchoring... a couple times Heyward flipped to Harrison's side and pretty much owned him. Harrison is listed just under 300#... to my eye under 290 is more like it.

Harrison has longer arm reach than Cam, but damn it if Heyward doesn't have one of the best bull rushes in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

agree.from Des lower # on his jersey on down he has no anchoring claws to anchor with.. it will come..kid plays angry. i liked his effort.. 

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So far that seems to be the case after one gameSo far that seems to be the case after one

I'm hoping that the late changes were to blame for some of it, along with Zeitler missing significant time. 

Because it was a shitshow for a lot of the game. 

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Perhaps I have missed this but exactly what were Harrison's off-field problems? From what I've been able to gather dedication might be a red flag? Small school competition? Must have been something more than that to keep him undrafted.

WSS

Apparently weed, and getting shot in the backside.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/09/b115b6f19c9490/browns-lt-desmond-harrison-the.html

Z

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

along with Zeitler missing significant time. 

I think this has been an under discussed factor.

IMO we overpaid for Zeitler, but the premium was justifiable because of who we signed him away from. But he didn't live up to his price tag last season and sure did not yesterday either. At least that was my impression. An impression I'm willing to chalk up to rust for now.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Again, I think weed will become a non-issue in the NFL after the next CBA. As for being shot in the butt.....well.....them big beefy backsides were built for absorption, right?

(as long as HE didn't shoot someone else in the butt, I guess it is not a big issue) 

Archived