THE BROWNS BOARD

*GAMEDAY THREADS* Eagles & Lions

mjp28

Just now, Zombo said:

I didn't put any words in your mouth, still working off of your original statement: "Off topic - Chubb.  Not feeling his running style or vision so far. I have serious concerns. Dayes is still my #2 guy. "

We disagree. I'm OK with Chubb so far, and he's still being coached up. He's a much better back than Dayes IMO. Dayes is #4. If he were #2 we'd be in trouble. His closest competition is Dontrell Hilliard, he is not in the conversation with the Big 3.

Your opinion is fine, it's your opinion ... I just think it's dead wrong, that's why I jumped on it ... that's what we do here. If Dayes makes a key contribution to this team this year I  will look you up and give you props. There's your branch.

Zombo

tenor.gif?itemid=5026058

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

“I think Chubb’s a beast,” Hyde said. “He’s been doing a great job staying on top of the playbook, coming in. The way he finishes, everything about the kid is good. He’s just an overall player that’s going to come in, help us win and bring a lot to the team.”

Chubb began the 1,000-yard rushing campaigns with a career-high 1,547 yards and 14 touchdowns on 219 carries during his freshman season.

After being limited to just 747 yards on 92 carries in his sophomore year, Chubb punctuated his collegiate career with back-to-back 1,100-yard seasons.

Chubb rushed for 1,130 yards and eight scores on 224 carries in 2016, and finished his career with 1,345 yards and 15 touchdowns on 223 attempts last fall.

In addition to his rushing statistics, Chubb accounted for 359 yards and four touchdowns on 31 career receptions for the Bulldogs.

“He’s a workhorse,” linebacker Christian Kirksey said. “You saw him in college. He’s a guy, he’s not going to do too many shakes. He’s gonna make one cut and go downhill, try to run you over, maybe stiff-arm you, but he’s definitely a workhorse.”

different types of players, Tiam. Your little Tiam critique is crapola.

I wonder how a rb can run for "4,769 yards and 44 touchdowns on 758 carries for the Bulldogs." with a "Tiamsies doesn't like Chubb's vision" goin on.

Furthermore,

Chubb - 53 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries against the Bills. That is just shy of 5 yards per carry.

For a rookie. In his second preseason game in the NFL.

Well Cal, It sounds like you're saying its our offensive line, and if you are: I Agree.  They're not blocking worth a dime and giving our RBs or WRs a chance.  Hopefully when we get Zietler back for game 1, it will get better (and i'm pretty sure it will).  It always seems like when we get all the right pieces on the team, our Oline goes south.  Zietler, we will certainly welcome you back for game 1.  

Inferring it a good bit, sure.

I'm sure Georgia's oline was intact for at least a few years, this oline is makeshift, with the talent they have to mix and match.The first exhibition game, the running game was nil because the oline wasn't ready to click. Then the oline started to click, and the running game started to work.

Watching Chubb get downed for a loss trying to go wide reminded me of long ago - the squealers were on their way to the superbowl, and were playing a big game vs our Browns, who always played them tough. The great Franco Harris was their rb who kept trying the same rumbling wide and going out of bounds thing....except the Browns flattened him for a loss. I was impressed.

The offensive line wasn't getting the blocks done, and the Browns fought through and dumped Franco Harris into the turf for a nice loss. I've heard Jim Brown give credit to his offensive line.

One play Thurs night, in person, watching it - I think it was the ROG that got bullrushed like he was playing on one leg.

On one big sack, Duke went left to pick up a blocker, and on the next instant, the lb where he had been, took off and got to the qb through a wide open hole.

Missed assignment? just whiffed on the block? Confusion on the line? I don't know about all that stuff.

But Chubb is a real, very serious deal.

I mean, listen to what goofball Cowherd has to say:

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Nick-Chubb-projected-as-rookie-of-year-by-Colin-Cowherd-118232353/

I know Tiam knows a lot of stuff, but I've been watching the Browns since I was kid, and I"m retired now.

Nick Chubb is a powerful, still very agile rb. He doesn't run any 4.4. Sure. But he runs about a 4.52. And he's old school

kick butt running back. With all that, he is a powerhouse in the weight room. He's very serious business. Way too early to say he's rookie of the year, but a bit later, I hope we see the oline start to roll. We'll see. I hope Nick Chubb gets his first TD vs the squealers game one.

Agree on Baker's play action... not foolin' folks right now. But to my eye he still looks less than completely comfortable under Center and comfort there has to come first.

23 hours ago, Zombo said:

My point is that Chubb is a much, much better NFL RB prospect than Dayes.

Reggie Bush had over 9,000 yards in the NFL, I'd take that from Chubb ... So you think Dayes is Matt Forte?

It means if we cut Dayes on September 1st, there will be at least a dozen guys just as good or better available to pick up.

You need me to explain "NFL scale"? Sound it out.

You think Chubbs is a shitty player? By watching a couple preseason games? OK.

I think he's an outstanding talent and our staff will get the most out of him.

Zombo

Too early to say much about any of the new guys  Z- except Avery has a spot on the 53 man roster locked up. 

15 hours ago, Zombo said:

Glad you bought your junior scout kit and everything, but there is no way anyone but you has Dayes ahead of Chubb.

Not the coaches, not the GM, not the people actually paid to scout ... and it ain't even close.

Dayes is ordinary. And he's 4th string. And the only way he makes the team is as a 4th string back ... and with Peppers handling KRs ... that ain't likely.

Z

Agreed- the only way Dayes makes the roster is if we keep 4 RBs, and they see value in him on STs.  

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree on Baker's play action... not foolin' folks right now. But to my eye he still looks less than completely comfortable under Center and comfort there has to come first.

He still Socks his stance and looks... pigeon toed at times.  It's hard to describe.  But the footwork from under center isn't second nature by any means and it's going to take quite a while before it is.  

So wait, a guy that took like 10 snaps under center his entire college career might need some more practice at doing it?

I'm shocked Cotton ;)

18 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

He still Socks his stance and looks... pigeon toed at times.  It's hard to describe.  But the footwork from under center isn't second nature by any means and it's going to take quite a while before it is.  

In terms of the take a while and why - I've always felt Baker was most similar to Drew Brees (who just swung and missed at strike 3 prior to SD feeling compelled to draft a QB first overall after earning that with the worst record in the NFL). People constantly forget Drew Brees was a Philip Rivers holdout the length of training camp away from never getting the last chance to succeed.  But he DID get that 4th season/chance to start and we know the happily ever after.  Another thing that coincidentally happened was SD drafted C Nick Hardwick in 2004 out of the same alleged unconventional Purdue Offense looking to the shot gun formation that equipped the QB with better pre-snap vision/reads/peripheral than getting up under Center did.  That was quietly HUGE because SD stopped trying to square peg a round hole and put why it helped Brees over ego of being right. Consequently, better pre-snap vision leads to better reads and quicker/more decisive throws. Method to the madness that height has no bearing on.  Taller QBs have benefitted from the shot-gun formation too dating all the way back to the 6'3" Roger Staubach...

Anyway, I just thought I'd go find find some pre-draft scouting stuff about Brees and I found another guy who found him similar to Brees and most importantly - why.  Just give it chance and it should make sense if you remembered why it wasn't cool to consider Brees for round 1 and why many put Baker into the same stereotype. I shortened it some...

Brees-Mayfield comparison gains strength with Scouting Combine Weigh-Ins

It’s starting to get uncanny.

By John Sigler Mar 1, 2018, 9:13am CST

911125136.jpg.0.jpgI’m sure we’re all very tired of the cliched “Mayfield is the next Brees because they’re both short” takes, and I agree with that. The reason those arguments are so prevalent is because Brees was an extremely similar prospect to Mayfield when he entered the NFL. Just check out this scouting report on Brees from the archives at NFLDraftScout.com:

Positives...A good athlete with mobility. Finds a way to wiggle out of trouble and can take off running for first downs. Not a sprinter but can’t be ignored as a runner...Solid arm strength. Demonstrated on multiple occasions that he can cut it loose down the field with enough velocity to hit receivers in stride...Shows quickness to get the ball out fast. No extra time taken when having to get rid of it. Serves him well when pressure is in his face...Accuracy and ball placement show up even when he’s on the run. Does a good job of not forcing his receivers to constantly adjust to the football in flight...Doesn’t lack for toughness. Took some pretty nasty shots in some games and kept getting back up for more. Teammates will approve of that...Can deliver some camera-juking pump fakes, indicating he likely has big hands. That will explain how he’s able to deliver the ball so well.

Negatives...Has lived in the shotgun his entire college career. Played in a classic spread offense. No idea how to play under center or take drops...Lack of size is going to be a concern. Though not extremely short, he’s giving up vital inches that will make vision and healthy primary questions at the next level...Somewhat reckless at times with his decision-making. Will throw into tight coverages, trusting in his accuracy that will lead to interceptions in the NFL...Can have a bad tendency to hold the football trying to keep plays alive. Opens him up to frequent hits and also fumbling the football.

I think it can be dangerous to be squeezed into such a small sample size in NFL history, not 20 or 10 but 3? And one didn't make it at all so two, well we'll see.....

Kelchner wasn’t drafted out of college, though he did lead the Mountaineers to an undefeated 1993 season. He bounced between a few Arena League teams before looking to a career outside football.

As for the other two, it sure looks like Sean Payton has a type at quarterback. Brees is famous for producing at one of the highest levels ever despite his height disadvantage, and Daniel has stuck around for so long (despite stops with the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles) largely because he fits a mold similar to Brees. Mayfield has spoken about his height not being an issue in the past:........

Can somebody please tell me what the heck happened to Seth Devalve? He was supposed to be a weapon and I don't remember seeing him at all. I know he had a "thigh injury", but I didn't think it was supposed to be serious, yet I've never seen him on the field. 

Just now, jiggins7919 said:

Can somebody please tell me what the heck happened to Seth Devalve? He was supposed to be a weapon and I don't remember seeing him at all. I know he had a "thigh injury", but I didn't think it was supposed to be serious, yet I've never seen him on the field. 

He has an aversion to cookies. It’s clearly more serious than any of us thought it would be.

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

DeValve (quad) worked out on the side of practice Sunday, Nate Ulrich of The Akron Beacon Journal reports.

DeValve has yet to see the field in a preseason tilt due to his quad injury, but his work Sunday seems to indicate he's progressing in his recovery. He's likely competing for the final tight end spot on the active roster and will be hoping to show his worth in Thursday's preseason finale against the Lions.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/browns-seth-devalve-working-towards-return/

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

the quad started the week before Zeitler quad went..they gave Seth a week & half off. Than practiced him lightly on a Wednesday going into a game thus.or fri.Seth was a gameday scratch. The upcoming Sunday at practice Seth made it thru stretch and lasted all of about 30 mins. of full speed 7on7 drills & they wrapped his quad again ever since.I have not trusted this medical team since Kwan Williams was sent to play with a fracture foot.But you know what's kinda weird? Hard Knocks left us with a picture of Gordon running this past Tuesday.That was recorded when the Bills were in town..Reports say he pulled it a few days before this Saturday after philly win..makes me wonder if we won't see Gordon pulling up training on hard knocks this week.. 

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I think it can be dangerous to be squeezed into such a small sample size in NFL history, not 20 or 10 but 3? And one didn't make it at all so two, well we'll see.....

Kelchner wasn’t drafted out of college, though he did lead the Mountaineers to an undefeated 1993 season. He bounced between a few Arena League teams before looking to a career outside football.

As for the other two, it sure looks like Sean Payton has a type at quarterback. Brees is famous for producing at one of the highest levels ever despite his height disadvantage, and Daniel has stuck around for so long (despite stops with the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles) largely because he fits a mold similar to Brees. Mayfield has spoken about his height not being an issue in the past:........

I removed those parts of the article MJ to emphasize the pre-draft scouting report similarities between Brees and Mayfield (besides their height).  Baker's positives and negatives are listed while there was a link to Brees' in the parts of the article I shared.  

19 hours ago, Zombo said:

DeValve (quad) worked out on the side of practice Sunday, Nate Ulrich of The Akron Beacon Journal reports.

DeValve has yet to see the field in a preseason tilt due to his quad injury, but his work Sunday seems to indicate he's progressing in his recovery. He's likely competing for the final tight end spot on the active roster and will be hoping to show his worth in Thursday's preseason finale against the Lions.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/browns-seth-devalve-working-towards-return/

I would not be surprised if Devalve is cut in favor of Cajuste.  Devalve has always struggled with injury, and he's also not a John Dorsey guy.  I don't believe that would be the RIGHT move, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I would not be surprised if Devalve is cut in favor of Cajuste.  Devalve has always struggled with injury, and he's also not a John Dorsey guy.  I don't believe that would be the RIGHT move, but it also wouldn't surprise me either. 

They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!:D

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

They can't cut DeValve!   I think he is the only guy from Princeton that is playing in the league!!:D

LOL, good point.  I just know we haven't seen a lick of Devalve, and I'm not totally sure we're keeping him.  I mean, I THINK we are, but Cajuste has value as a special teamer, and I'm not sure how Devalve stacks up in that aspect.  Obviously Devalve is the better receiver, but availability is vital to ability.  Hopefully he's out there in our final preseason game.  Honestly, I really like Devalve and think he's got some real talent.  Would we ever keep four TE's?  I seriously doubt it.  The final cuts are going to be VERY difficult this year, and I guess that's a good thing.  There are going to be some pretty good players without jobs in Cleveland.  

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Ever wonder why there are so few Ivy Leaguers in the NFL. (not good enough but maybe good to write for the Harvard Lampoon :lol: )

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ever wonder why there are so few Ivy Leaguers in the NFL. (not good enough but maybe good to write for the Harvard Lampoon :lol: )

Because now they are mostly brains and not brawn, unlike 100 years ago?

Actually....in checking, there were 14 Ivy Leaguers on NFL rosters last year:  half of those from Harvard:

https://herosports.com/fcs/ivy-league-football-well-represented-2017-nfl-rosters-byby

And note, the Browns have 2 of them:  DeValve...AND  JC Tretter.   Now, I had no clue that he went to Cornell (the only Cornell player in the league).  So, now, clearly I like him a lot better as a player!   Since, after all, my son goes to Cornell.  I'll be darned!

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Because now they are mostly brains and not brawn, unlike 100 years ago?

Actually....in checking, there were 14 Ivy Leaguers on NFL rosters last year:  half of those from Harvard:

https://herosports.com/fcs/ivy-league-football-well-represented-2017-nfl-rosters-byby

And note, the Browns have 2 of them:  DeValve...AND  JC Tretter.   Now, I had no clue that he went to Cornell (the only Cornell player in the league).  So, now, clearly I like him a lot better as a player!   Since, after all, my son goes to Cornell.  I'll be darned!

Wow, didn't know that there were that many and forgot about QB Fitzpatrick. 

*GAMEDAY THREAD* THURSDAY AUG. 30, Min in CLE 1 pm ~and~ CLE in Detroit 7 pm, almost over!

Date Opp Time TV Indians : Pitcher Opp: Pitcher
Tue. 28 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN C. Carrasco (15-7) K. Gibson (7-10)
Wed. 29 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN A. Plutko (4-4) K. Stewart (0-1)
Thu. 30 vs. Min 1:10 PM ET  FB <--- so what TV network is covering this one? M. Clevinger (9-7) J. Odorizzi (5-8)
Fri. 31 vs. TB 7:10 PM ET  STOh/SUN C. Kluber (16-7)

And it seemed before the 2018 draft that this day would never come, LAST PRESEASON GAME!

Preseason Schedule

Week Day Date Opponent Time TV Result
Week 2 Thu. 8/9 @ New York Giants 7:00 PM ET NFLN  W 20-10
Week 3 Fri. 8/17 vs. Buffalo Bills 7:30 PM ET NFLN  L 19-17
Week 4 Thu. 8/23 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 8:00 PM ET FOX  W 5-0 <--- the BROWNS defense has only given up 27 points so far?
Week 5 Thu. 8/30 @ Detroit Lions 7:00 PM ET NFLN   

Schedule

Week 1 Sun. 9/9 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers 1:00 PM ET CBS   

PASSING
PLAYER POS GP GS ATT CMP PCT YDS AVG YDS/G LNG TD TD% INT INT% SCK YDSL RATE
Baker Mayfield QB 3 0 45 26 57.8 363 8.07 111.3 54 2 4.4 1 2.2 4 29 89.4
Tyrod Taylor QB 3 3 28 20 71.4 186 6.64 56.0 36 1 3.6 0 0.0 2 18 101.2
Brogan Roback QB 1 0 4 2 50.0 22 5.50 22.0 14 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 66.7
Drew Stanton QB 2 0 7 1 14.3 7 1.00 0.5 7 0 0.0 0 0.0 1 6 39.6

Totals   3   84 49 58.3 578 6.88 175.0 54 3 3.6 1 1.2 7 53 86.3
Opponents   3   112 66 58.9 577 5.15 170.0 39 2 1.8 2 1.8 12 67 71.2

RUSHING
PLAYER POS GP GS ATT YDS AVG LNG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FML FD FD%
Nick Chubb RB 3 0 40 110 2.8 21 1 1 36.7 0 0 6 15.0
Carlos Hyde RB 3 3 17 108 6.4 33 2 1 36.0 0 0 5 29.4
Duke Johnson RB 3 0 8 43 5.4 18 0 0 14.3 0 0 3 37.5
Baker Mayfield QB 3 0 10 32 3.2 6 0 0 10.7 1 0 4 40.0
Dontrell Hilliard RB 3 0 12 28 2.3 13 0 0 9.3 0 0 1 8.3
Matt Dayes RB 3 0 6 16 2.7 7 0 0 5.3 0 0 0 0
Tyrod Taylor QB 3 3 4 12 3.0 5 0 0 4.0 0 0 1 25.0
Antonio Callaway WR 2 2 1 3 3.0 3 0 0 1.5 0 0 0 0
Brogan Roback QB 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals   3   99 352 3.6 33 3 2 117.3 3 1 20 20.2
Opponents   3   76 348 4.6 39 2 1 116.0 3 2 23 30.3.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Preseason Schedule

Week 2 Thu. 8/9 @ New York Giants 7:00 PM ET NFLN  W 20-10
Week 3 Fri. 8/17 vs. Buffalo Bills 7:30 PM ET NFLN  L 19-17
Week 4 Thu. 8/23 vs. Philadelphia Eagles 8:00 PM ET FOX  W 5-0 <--- the BROWNS defense has only given up 27 points so far?
Week 5 Thu. 8/30 @ Detroit Lions 7:00 PM ET NFLN   
dd            

LOL! I know it's picky but 10 + 19 + 0= 29

You were adding up the columns but forgot the losing score for the Browns in game 2 was on the right side with the other two defensive winning scores.😁

Guys that could see action: Zeitler (I doubt it), Calloway, and Coley.

Baker to get significant playing time.

Fullback Vitale is out and and no mention of DeVulva ... it feels like the world is breaking right for Devon "Juice" Cajuste.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-to-rest-most-starters-in-preseason-finale-at-detroit

Zombo

whats the point of playing baker I believe we all have seen enough of him going up against the 2's thru 4's and the future grocery baggers ( and by we I also mean the coachs )

it's the 4th pre season game can't we just take a knee

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! I know it's picky but 10 + 19 + 0= 29

You were adding up the columns but forgot the losing score for the Browns in game 2 was on the right side with the other two defensive winning scores.😁

They said there'd be no math questions! <_<

16 minutes ago, syd said:

whats the point of playing baker I believe we all have seen enough of him going up against the 2's thru 4's and the future grocery baggers ( and by we I also mean the coachs )

it's the 4th pre season game can't we just take a knee

Well Baker might get a few weeks of few or no snaps depending on how the season goes, play him like you would a normal preseason quarterback, the first half plus first drive (or so) in the third quarter. 

Then Stanton, are the BROWNS going to carry three quarterbacks......I imagine that they will.

Archived