THE BROWNS BOARD

How many wins does it take to make it tyrods team.

Babernakle

As I see it from snap one there will be fan boys in the stands chanting baker, baker, baker.  Because there stupid and there football knowledge is low he’s not better than ty and probably never will be, as I see it,  But if ty goes out and beats the Steelers once and then goes 4 and 4 through the first half is it then his team.  Will fan boy shut his mouth.  What if ty takes the team to a wild card does baker become trade bait. Will we stay with him. 

1 hour ago, Babernakle said:

As I see it from snap one there will be fan boys in the stands chanting baker, baker, baker.  Because there stupid and there football knowledge is low he’s not better than ty and probably never will be, as I see it,  But if ty goes out and beats the Steelers once and then goes 4 and 4 through the first half is it then his team.  Will fan boy shut his mouth.  What if ty takes the team to a wild card does baker become trade bait. Will we stay with him. 

May depend a lot on who's actually catching the footballs.

Kizer got killed with no real deep threats plus guys with hands of stone among other problems on a 0 win team it forced him into being the team's #2 rusher......if the pieces fit together, guys catch the ball, establish a decent running game, etc. Tyrod should be fine through half or more of the season.

How many? Depends on how competitive they look on the field, in any event less than 5 wins will look like an abysmal failure.

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

May depend a lot on who's actually catching the footballs.

Kizer got killed with no real deep threats plus guys with hands of stone among other problems on a 0 win team it forced him into being the team's #2 rusher......if the pieces fit together, guys catch the ball, establish a decent running game, etc. Tyrod should be fine through half or more of the season.

How many? Depends on how competitive they look on the field, in any event less than 5 wins will look like an abysmal failure.

If the D plays up to the level of the 4 3 and outs we saw to start last week, then he needs to have us in contention for a playoff spot all the way to the end. Only thing I can see as a bailout to the point is the atrocious play from STs coverage. That MUST be fixed or we're screwed by 1/3 of the game. ST coach has a lot of work to get done before game 1. We suck.

2 hours ago, Babernakle said:

first of all, it IS Tyrod's team. second of all, it is NOT "there".  You mean "THEIR". Tyrod will not suck - he's a cagey team oriented veteran that can play the game. Thirdly, nobody is going to chant "Baker, etc" because the Browns are going to be winning games.

Fourthly, the idea that Baker could be trade bait is just worse than really not worth posted. That is as nice as I can say it.

Fifth...ly? - the Browns have all the serious talent and lockerroom to shock the NFL and be winning right out of the gate.

16 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

first of all, it IS Tyrod's team. second of all, it is NOT "there".  You mean "THEIR". Tyrod will not suck - he's a cagey team oriented veteran that can play the game. Thirdly, nobody is going to chant "Baker, etc" because the Browns are going to be winning games.

Fourthly, the idea that Baker could be trade bait is just worse than really not worth posted. That is as nice as I can say it.

Fifth...ly? - the Browns have all the serious talent and lockerroom to shock the NFL and be winning right out of the gate.

Did you correct somebody for saying "there" instead of "their", to then say "than" instead of "then"?

The Spaniard in me is honestly curious about it :)

By the way, I'm not getting the "fanboy" vibe that I got with Quinn and Maziel.

I think fans generally respect Taylor, and they generally expect Mayfield to take over when the time is right.

The Browns seem to be handling things correctly for a change ... starts with non-nonsense Dorsey at the top.

Zombo

Just now, Zombo said:

By the way, I'm not getting the "fanboy" vibe that I got with Quinn and Maziel.

I think fans generally respect Taylor, and they generally expect Mayfield to take over when the time is right.

The Browns seem to be handling things correctly for a change ... starts with non-nonsense Dorsey at the top.

Zombo

Correct! And if you don't believe it just ask him.

Screenshot_2018-08-23-10-23-30.png

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

It's Ty's job as long as we are in contention this year, then it is Bake's job for the rest of his career.

Z

Man, I hope Huey can resist the outside pressure to throw the kid to the wolves, and if he can, then maybe Baker will finally be our Favre...... and not just our next Couch.

3 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Man, I hope Huey can resist the outside pressure to throw the kid to the wolves, and if he can, then maybe Baker will finally be our Favre...... and not just our next Couch.

He's got a lot of Favre in him, and I can see Dan Fouts too (and it's not just the beard).

Fearless gunslinger with pocket presence and quick release.

He's more mature than Favre at this age and more athletically gifted than Fouts.

Not the raw gun of Favre, but better accuracy.

He'll be ready when he's ready ... we're in good hands with Taylor in the meantime.

Zombo

4 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Nope, you would never trade the #1 overall pick after one year. Don't forget Rodgers sat behind Farve for several seasons. AND Baker has given every indication to this point he doesn't suck. Taylor will be the one who will leave. If Ty lights it up this year, he's going to be the one in line for a big payday.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Nope, you would never trade the #1 overall pick after one year. Don't forget Rodgers sat behind Farve for several seasons. AND Baker has given every indication to this point he doesn't suck. Taylor will be the one who will leave. If Ty lights it up this year, he's going to be the one in line for a big payday.

This is totally a win-win situation like Farve and Rodgers.

im putting my bet down right now that tyrod may be our starter sep 2019. And im ok with that. I dont want to hear about no "stifling the kid"...if tyrod has the lockeroom he starts next year again unless baker just absolytely passed him clean. If its close between the two, start tyrod again next year. Dont give it to baker just cause #1draftpick

Z... you're on fire man...

As for the OP....

I think we have to start at least 2-2. Baker's coming on and will get a lot of PT in 4th preseason game. Of course 2-2 is good enough to be "in the hunt" for a playoff spot, but some of how we lose the 2 will come into play.

Obviously a better record, being over .500 after 4 games, would lock TT in for a good while.

A lesser record? 0-4 would prompt the change. 1-3? Depends on the "quality" of the loses to some extent, but if our being "flat" played a role, then (not than... ;) ) we go to the bullpen. If HK has taught us nothing else it's that TT is a quiet leader whereas Baker can be a firestarter...

... just like Z.

23 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Or Tour on the poly board. F'n trollin' cowboy!🤠

Like Cohen... I have to plea "guilty"... ;)

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Did you correct somebody for saying "there" instead of "their", to then say "than" instead of "then"?

The Spaniard in me is honestly curious about it :)

no... I was correct in saying "than" but then ignorantly said " bait is just worse than really not worth posted" when it was supposed to have read "bait is just worse than being not worth posting".

My bad. LOL

If everything goes according to plan, then I would assume next year would be the year. The Browns are going to have to make some big decisions though as free agency is going to come into play. I will be curious to see how much TT has to do to get tagged. He's the only one on the list below whose probably worth the tag unless Robinson plays out of his mind at LT.  Also, the Browns could tag TT, just so they can try to trade him to someone else. With a very weak upcoming qb draft class, if there is a team out there that is desperate, it's possible to get at least the 3rd they gave up for him. However, the Browns will need to make a decision on how they are going to approach the Gordon contract and some of the younger guys as well such as Higgins, BBC, coley to name a few.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/all/cleveland-browns/

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

If ty lights it up they would be fooling not to trade him and get another need I believe in ty not only to win but not to lose. And it’s not like ty is at the end of his career. 16 million is a lot to not play him but ........ rg3, Kenny Britt. Let’s remember bakers has only played against 2’s and 3’s

On 8/23/2018 at 5:39 PM, Babernakle said:

Let’s remember bakers has only played against 2’s and 3’s

Yeah, that's what Kurt Warner did with the Rams in 98 until Trent Green got hurt in the 99 preseason.  Then, he got to hand off to Marshall Faulk; and throw to Faulk, Holt and Bruce with help from Orlando Pace and the starting offensive line.  When he was playing with the 2s and 3s (against 2s and 3s) before that - nobody saw a guy ready to be a League MVP...   

They went from worst in 98 to first in 99; so you can imagine the chance to succeed in that situation improved considerably when Warner got to work with the best players on a roster.  We're coming off a last place finish and we signed an experienced starter Tyrod Taylor (like the Rams signed Trent Green). In that 1 off season the Rams also drafted Holt, signed Faulk and finally got Ike Bruce to show up without a lingering hammy or groin pull.  This year we added a lot of play makers while we're hoping to finally get Gordon to play a full season.  Our off season response this time around resembled a lot of the efforts the Rams made in 1 year to jumper cable themselves back on the NFL Map.

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Unless this season is 2007 all over again, I just can't see Tyrod Taylor on a one year deal keeping the #1 pick with 40+ college starts off the field for more than maybe half the season. 

Me either Dutch or we wouldn't have prioritized QB at the 1st pick overall after we brought Tyrod here.

Just to piggyback a little here. When you think about it, even a cerebral QB like Bernie Kosar didn't start the first 6 games of his NFL career.  He sat behind an experienced QB at the very back end of Danielson's career. What else did we do in 85?   We surrounded the QBs with a strong running game where 2 RBs rushed for over 1000 yards apiece as we won the division with an 8-8 record.  Then we hired Infante in 86 with a plan to bury the blitz via 122 receptions from 4 different RBs to keep Kosar healthy and highly efficient in his 2nd year.  In the process we improved to 12-4 in 86.  

It was good for Kosar to see from the sideline when the Vanilla Defenses went away as soon as the regular season started - how many different alignments, schemes and disguises a QB could be seeing ASIDE from finally having his own playbook at a comfort zone.   I'd rather begin the year with an experienced QB that has already seen the difference between pre-season Vanilla and regular season complexity.  Like Baker reminds us, he learned a lot as a red shirt in college where the complexity of defenses at that level doesn't even compare to the NFL.  That said, I don't think it needs to be more than 6-8 weeks unless Tyrod has some sort of dream season we shouldn't mess with.  The Danielson to Kosar time frame seems sensible IMO.

Barring injury, at the end of the day it will come down to the number in the wins column..... The more that are there and Tyrod will play every snap of every game. 

Here's to hoping we don't see Baker once this season. 

Dude, don't be a jackoff. This is Baker's team. Tyrod is black Tarkenton. His job is to get hurt, and he will because he is a run-first RG3 clone. He is already hurt because of his running. His job is to play 4 games or more. At 8, he gets pulled and he is done. He Blows.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Dude, don't be a jackoff. This is Baker's team. Tyrod is black Tarkenton. His job is to get hurt, and he will because he is a run-first RG3 clone. He is already hurt because of his running. His job is to play 4 games or more. At 8, he gets pulled and he is done. He Blows.

I do agree with the bolded statements. Ideally, Baker needs to watch REAL (not vanilla) NFL D's before being thrown in to the fray & I think the time frame Ghoolie mentioned is very realistic.

Mike

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

And too many of you continue to feed this jackoff troll. Shame

18 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

And too many of you continue to feed this jackoff troll. Shame

Yeah it gets too tempting at times to poke a stick at the idiot Quasimodo to see what he comes up with next. :lol:

Archived