THE BROWNS BOARD

New ccw

calfoxwc

On 10/20/2018 at 10:01 AM, mjp28 said:

Wow CCI Stingers, I must be getting old I think I remember when they first came out at the store I worked at. Amazing velocity out of those little suckers.

Nice pest/varmit loads.

God I miss the good ol' days shooting .22s in my backyard and fields.

Now I have irony of ironies. My daughter who does NOT want me to teach her son to shoot, does want me to teach her to shoot with my new 22. She was saying she would not be any good because she was not good in archery and I was saying if she'd give me 15 minutes I could cure that thought with such a fine shooting target pistol as the Ruger Hunter. She is taking me up on the offer. Go figure.😍

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now I have irony of ironies. My daughter who does NOT want me to teach her son to shoot, does want me to teach her to shoot with my new 22. She was saying she would not be any good because she was not good in archery and I was saying if she'd give me 15 minutes I could cure that thought with such a fine shooting target pistol as the Ruger Hunter. She is taking me up on the offer. Go figure.😍

Wow, how enlightening for you both and a .22 is a great way to start even a slightly heavier gun but that would make any other transition even easier.

I always like to instruct new shooters....have fun!

when we teach kids how to ride an ATV... handle a gun... always with parents' okay -

it's all about safety. I emulate Mr. Miyagi - it's about safety, "wax on wax off" a lot until

they truly get it, and then we can teach them how to shoot. They nearly get blue in the face, but

they take it in stride. Our friend's son grew up, and went ATV riding at southern ohio with some buddies.

One of his buddies wanted to do something high speed way out back - they tried to talk him out of it,

told him it was not safe - but the kid did it anyways. Wrecked so badly he was months learning to walk again.

One of his friends in Michigan was being really stupidly unsafe with his 4x4 truck on a back muddy trail..

he died in the rollover. Safety is everything while you have fun, so the fun never ends in tragedy.

50 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

when we teach kids how to ride an ATV... handle a gun... always with parents' okay -

it's all about safety. I emulate Mr. Miyagi - it's about safety, "wax on wax off" a lot until

they truly get it, and then we can teach them how to shoot. They nearly get blue in the face, but

they take it in stride. Our friend's son grew up, and went ATV riding at southern ohio with some buddies.

One of his buddies wanted to do something high speed way out back - they tried to talk him out of it,

told him it was not safe - but the kid did it anyways. Wrecked so badly he was months learning to walk again.

One of his friends in Michigan was being really stupidly unsafe with his 4x4 truck on a back muddy trail..

he died in the rollover. Safety is everything while you have fun, so the fun never ends in tragedy.

Before we even go out the door she will be watching this first and foremost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Vrc2R1oGU

• 2 months later...

I was sharing my daughter wanting to be trained with my new Henry 22 with a friend who owns a lot of land and she informed me she has had a Henry 22 in her garage and not used it for almost 20 years. She asked if I would give her refresher lessons when I take my daughter out for training and of course I readily agreed. Then she said she had plenty of room on her own land just 10 minutes from our house with a really good high embankment we could use to set up targets so nothing would carry beyond where we shoot. I'm all for a free shooting range and it's fun teaching people to shoot safely and properly.🤩

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was sharing my daughter wanting to be trained with my new Henry 22 with a friend who owns a lot of land and she informed me she has had a Henry 22 in her garage and not used it for almost 20 years. She asked if I would give her refresher lessons when I take my daughter out for training and of course I readily agreed. Then she said she had plenty of room on her own land just 10 minutes from our house with a really good high embankment we could use to set up targets so nothing would carry beyond where we shoot. I'm all for a free shooting range and it's fun teaching people to shoot safely and properly.🤩

Oh that sounds so cool!

Since moving to Boardman 33 years ago we're surrounded by woods but strict NO HUNTING, NO SHOOTING rules here. I really miss my old house, open the back door and go shooting. Shotguns, rifles, pistol whatever plus a big lake 4.5 miles around and miles and miles of old growth forest a very short walk....miss that!

Those Henrys look and sound so nice.....HAVE FUN!  

32 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh that sounds so cool!

Since moving to Boardman 33 years ago we're surrounded by woods but strict NO HUNTING, NO SHOOTING rules here. I really miss my old house, open the back door and go shooting. Shotguns, rifles, pistol whatever plus a big lake 4.5 miles around and miles and miles of old growth forest a very short walk....miss that!

That's tough - for years I missed our 147 acres way out past Cambridge Oh, our old farm.

Now, with our over 35 acres, we explore, shoot, hunt, hike. Do hayrides once in a while. The most famous one, was on a warm still night, the whole bunch of kids were on the haywagon, my Wife driving the tractor, and stopped out back, in front of the woods.

I was out in our woods with a 5' tube from a friends leaf blower, and I made the most hideous howl/bigfoot noise, and the screaming of the kids was priceless.

Then later, they were talking about how they were so scared, and I walked up to the bonfire and said "did it sound like this?" and did it a little bit again.

They all LOL'd. Owning your own woods is priceless. I'm still waiting for Steve to come out and do some groundhog skeet with me,

but he's too smart for that. dammit. lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh that sounds so cool!

The lever on it is so smooth and easy that I can use the back of my little finger to eject a shell and the inner side to close a live one in the chamber. It's like corn silk smooth.

• 2 years later...
On 10/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, calfoxwc said:

btw, my instructor says that Sig Saurer ammo is not very expensive, but

is really accurate and dependable. I'm going to try some out with my Walther. I might try shooting my

.22 semi-auto with a nice scope on it, to be sure I can hit a squirrel where I want to, at a

longer shot.

Well revisiting this old thread. I have 100 rounds of Sig Saurer .45 Long Colt ammo on backorder that they assured me I would get in late Feb. since I used a credit card to pay in advance. That is if old Joe doesn't find a way to stop mail order ammo. I'm getting it to go with my birthday present I back-ordered for some time around that date in late March thru end of April. I've saved up a ton of allowance money for months now to get it and will have the rest by late Feb. Replica of a Civil War pistol with a conversion to cartridge instead of the old black powder kind. 8" octagon barrel on this beast. I'm looking forward to the day I can actually take it out to my friend's range.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1858-new-army-45-lc-8-in-barrel.html

Maybe not a CCW gun but it would put a hole in you.  

Sexy looking old beauty.   Glad to see this thread back !

ca1000-1858newmodarmy-navyconv-8fullimage.jpg

22 hours ago, mjp28 said:

True not CCW but in Texas we had LTC which means you can open carry in a holster if you want or concealed. Now there are signs to tell you whether you can open carry, carry concealed or not carry at all in various businesses. Most only allow concealed carry which means the LTC license allows that since it allows an either/or choice. That said I would only carry this open on long hikes on isolated trails. There are a few nearby. Usually though I carry a concealed Ruger LC9s 9 mm with Corbin +P rounds in it. Better not to advertise. I really liked the look of the octagon barrel which is also on the Henry replica .22LR I own.

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

This is my open carry which we also have in the confederate state of Ohio:

Oh yeah a wheel guy, not bad around the house in a drawer either.  Who needs more than 6 bullets to get someone's attention ?

I bought a Falcon .22 LR/ .22 MAG revolver about 50 years ago at the gas station we used to hang out at for  $20 box and all.  I used to plink with. When we moved to Boardman Ohio 33 years ago I gave it to my wife with the .22 MAG cylinder in it and in the box for an upstairs gun.  I'll bet she's never touched it.

Screenshot_2021-01-11_220214.jpg

• Upvote 1

Found this interesting history on the Remington 1858 New Model Army including a "Hang 'em high" history of the gun owner for the pistol shown at this museum in Wyoming. Frontier Justice. I am buying it because the Civil War has always been my special interest in history. I may pay extra for a display case that includes the powder flask for Xmas. But it's another $200 so I'm putting it on my Xmas list as top present. Then I can put it on the wall next to my framed 11 paper bills of the Confederacy my Yankee wife now thinks I should take down. Since it was a primary weapon late in the war for Union cavalry, I think they will balance out well, don't you?😁 BTW that is a Walker Colt in the picture below, but he switches over to the Remington. It's a series he did for the museum.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:07 PM, calfoxwc said:

That's tough - for years I missed our 147 acres way out past Cambridge Oh, our old farm.

Now, with our over 35 acres, we explore, shoot, hunt, hike. Do hayrides once in a while. The most famous one, was on a warm still night, the whole bunch of kids were on the haywagon, my Wife driving the tractor, and stopped out back, in front of the woods.

I was out in our woods with a 5' tube from a friends leaf blower, and I made the most hideous howl/bigfoot noise, and the screaming of the kids was priceless.

Then later, they were talking about how they were so scared, and I walked up to the bonfire and said "did it sound like this?" and did it a little bit again.

They all LOL'd. Owning your own woods is priceless. I'm still waiting for Steve to come out and do some groundhog skeet with me,

but he's too smart for that. dammit. lol

Just thought I would bring you back in based off this post. I'll be getting off the polyboard after all the trumpy impeachment trial is done and plan to stick to Barbershop and the Survival thread on the polyboard. I feel more comfortable with outdoor stuff and I too miss my grandparents' half wooded 70+ acres out in the country north of Bryan, Tx. They bought it and retired to it when I was about 3 years old, so I learned to love the isolation and silence of a place out in the country where my dad taught us to shoot everything from BB guns through shotguns, pistols and rifles. I said before he was one of the greatest small arms instructors in the Army in WW II and I'm using all those skills to pass on what he taught to my own daughter and grandsons now. Anyway there is nothing like a decent place to hunt or target practice like those isolated places in the country. That's why I feel so fortunate to have a friend with a place that is mostly wooded about the same size you have now where I can go target practice for free (though I handed him 100 rounds of 22LR ammo since he was out and it is not available anywhere here right now).

Anyway you can take a look at some of the new posts above since this last one of yours which I really liked.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:16 AM, calfoxwc said:

Is that the Ruger lc9? Nice little gun.

and I couldn't read what the second one was, but it looks bigtime classy.

The first one is a Ruger 9e. The second on is a Browning Hi-Power 9mm

On 12/29/2018 at 1:07 PM, calfoxwc said:

Now, with our over 35 acres, we explore, shoot, hunt, hike. Do hayrides once in a while. The most famous one, was on a warm still night, the whole bunch of kids were on the haywagon, my Wife driving the tractor, and stopped out back, in front of the woods........

Oh God do I miss those old days, we had almost 5 acres but behind us were hundreds of acres of field and a creek that ran through our property and emptied into liberty lake which was 4.5 miles around and was surrounded by miles and miles of untouched old growth forest. Use to collect minnows and nightcrawlers to use or sell to fisherman at the lake....we were young teenagers.

Not to mention going out .22 plinking and firing off the shotgun for fun.

As kids we thought nothing about growing up "in the sticks" but now the old homestead and barn an outbuildings are gone with the passing of my mother last year.

I wouldn't trade those years for anything.  Memories.  :)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh God do I miss those old days, we had almost 5 acres but behind us were hundreds of acres of field and a creek that ran through our property and emptied into liberty lake which was 4.5 miles around and was surrounded by miles and miles of untouched old growth forest. Use to collect minnows and nightcrawlers to use or sell to fisherman at the lake....we were young teenagers.

Not to mention going out .22 plinking and firing off the shotgun for fun.

As kids we thought nothing about growing up "in the sticks" but now the old homestead and barn an outbuildings are gone with the passing of my mother last year.

I wouldn't trade those years for anything.  Memories.  :)

In Venezuela I lived very near the "jungle" and wherever we went we hand carried machetes with us (firearms were illegal there) to protect ourselves from the dreaded mapanare (Bushmaster) and a large hunting knife in a scabbard just because we could. We had a great time in those very different kind of "woods" with such unique wildlife and vegetation.

https://en.elpitazo.net/english/nine-patients-are-at-deadly-risk-due-to-the-shortage-of-snake-anti-venom-in-venezuela/

Funny side story is that after we moved to Caracas a friend came to see me and we both went walking with those hunting knives on our belts and got detained by Marines in the US Embassy across from where my Dad worked. Dumb kids should not keep a knife on the belt regardless of your age when you go into an Embassy. We got turned over to my Dad who just smiled and shook his head at the dummy and his idiot friend. 😂

EDIT: I reviewed the entire thread after Browns149 indicated what two pistols those were. As I reviewed I realized I did not indicate the results of taking my daughter out to shoot the .22 rifle. She had never even shot her brother's BB gun, took about 15 minutes of instruction from me and then nailed the bullseye shot after shot after shot for a near perfect score. It took me years to get that good under a very good trainer in my Dad. Obviously there was a generation skip from him to her since he was exactly that same kind of "natural" shooter. Just not fair dammit. I should start calling here Annie.

• Upvote 1

A friend of mine owns a farm out in the country. (A 10 minute side by side ride from my home or cabin) We go out there shooting. He’s got a straight stretch that we can site in rifles up to 400 yards. 

I think he has 12 tree stands out there too

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/10/2021 at 7:41 PM, mjp28 said:

It's coming in next week which is way sooner by several months than I expected. But I'll have no ammo for it for another 2-4 months most likely. Too purty to shoot anyway.🤠

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Took my brother out to shoot the old Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag and the new replica 1858 Remington 45 Long Colt. The kick for both is almost identical and the trigger pull is perfect for both. Of course we had just as much fun shooting the Henry Lever Action .22LR. My brother still had very good accuracy with all despite his 76 years and not having gone out in some 30 years. Our Dad's lessons were still very evident with him.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

It's coming in next week which is way sooner by several months than I expected. But I'll have no ammo for it for another 2-4 months most likely. Too purty to shoot anyway.🤠

I have 50 rounds of .357 mag left.  No .38 special.  And neither is available anywhere I've looked.  Hasn't been for months.  They have a racket going on now.

10 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I have 50 rounds of .357 mag left.  No .38 special.  And neither is available anywhere I've looked.  Hasn't been for months.  They have a racket going on now.

Actually I lucked into 50 rounds of .38 special at Academy Sports & Outdoors which my Ruger can fire. I have not seen .357, but I had quit a few stocked up. I found 120 rounds of 45 Long Colt through Gunbroker.com by watching for good deals late at night as "Buy now". 22LR I had stocked up Xmas 2019 since I have a rifle and two pistols that fire them. 9mm is easy to find just about any time at that same Academy store. And they are not price gouging which really helps. I'm going to start looking for 12 gauge game loads for dove now since the season is only 5 months away. Only had two boxes left, so I have some stocking up to do for a 4 day trip to south Texas with old friends in Sept. Or maybe I'll just get some of those CCI shot shells for the 45 and draw on 'em.🕊️🤗🤠

11 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Oh yes !!  Drive up the demand and the prices will follow in the insane pricing war before they (slowly) let loose on the supply and make a nice little fortune.

Do you remember the .22 caliber fiasco a few years back ?  You couldn't find a freakin box of .22 ammo anywhere at any price.

It has the effects of creating horders out of all of us.   

Just like with toilet paper.  :lol: