calfoxwc

New ccw

On 10/20/2018 at 10:01 AM, mjp28 said:

Wow CCI Stingers, I must be getting old I think I remember when they first came out at the store I worked at. Amazing velocity out of those little suckers.

Nice pest/varmit loads.

God I miss the good ol' days shooting .22s in my backyard and fields.

Now I have irony of ironies. My daughter who does NOT want me to teach her son to shoot, does want me to teach her to shoot with my new 22. She was saying she would not be any good because she was not good in archery and I was saying if she'd give me 15 minutes I could cure that thought with such a fine shooting target pistol as the Ruger Hunter. She is taking me up on the offer. Go figure.😍

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now I have irony of ironies. My daughter who does NOT want me to teach her son to shoot, does want me to teach her to shoot with my new 22. She was saying she would not be any good because she was not good in archery and I was saying if she'd give me 15 minutes I could cure that thought with such a fine shooting target pistol as the Ruger Hunter. She is taking me up on the offer. Go figure.😍

Wow, how enlightening for you both and a .22 is a great way to start even a slightly heavier gun but that would make any other transition even easier.

I always like to instruct new shooters....have fun!

when we teach kids how to ride an ATV... handle a gun... always with parents' okay -

it's all about safety. I emulate Mr. Miyagi - it's about safety, "wax on wax off" a lot until

they truly get it, and then we can teach them how to shoot. They nearly get blue in the face, but

they take it in stride. Our friend's son grew up, and went ATV riding at southern ohio with some buddies.

One of his buddies wanted to do something high speed way out back - they tried to talk him out of it,

told him it was not safe - but the kid did it anyways. Wrecked so badly he was months learning to walk again.

One of his friends in Michigan was being really stupidly unsafe with his 4x4 truck on a back muddy trail..

he died in the rollover. Safety is everything while you have fun, so the fun never ends in tragedy.

50 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

when we teach kids how to ride an ATV... handle a gun... always with parents' okay -

it's all about safety. I emulate Mr. Miyagi - it's about safety, "wax on wax off" a lot until

they truly get it, and then we can teach them how to shoot. They nearly get blue in the face, but

they take it in stride. Our friend's son grew up, and went ATV riding at southern ohio with some buddies.

One of his buddies wanted to do something high speed way out back - they tried to talk him out of it,

told him it was not safe - but the kid did it anyways. Wrecked so badly he was months learning to walk again.

One of his friends in Michigan was being really stupidly unsafe with his 4x4 truck on a back muddy trail..

he died in the rollover. Safety is everything while you have fun, so the fun never ends in tragedy.

Before we even go out the door she will be watching this first and foremost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Vrc2R1oGU

I was sharing my daughter wanting to be trained with my new Henry 22 with a friend who owns a lot of land and she informed me she has had a Henry 22 in her garage and not used it for almost 20 years. She asked if I would give her refresher lessons when I take my daughter out for training and of course I readily agreed. Then she said she had plenty of room on her own land just 10 minutes from our house with a really good high embankment we could use to set up targets so nothing would carry beyond where we shoot. I'm all for a free shooting range and it's fun teaching people to shoot safely and properly.🤩

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was sharing my daughter wanting to be trained with my new Henry 22 with a friend who owns a lot of land and she informed me she has had a Henry 22 in her garage and not used it for almost 20 years. She asked if I would give her refresher lessons when I take my daughter out for training and of course I readily agreed. Then she said she had plenty of room on her own land just 10 minutes from our house with a really good high embankment we could use to set up targets so nothing would carry beyond where we shoot. I'm all for a free shooting range and it's fun teaching people to shoot safely and properly.🤩

Oh that sounds so cool!

Since moving to Boardman 33 years ago we're surrounded by woods but strict NO HUNTING, NO SHOOTING rules here. I really miss my old house, open the back door and go shooting. Shotguns, rifles, pistol whatever plus a big lake 4.5 miles around and miles and miles of old growth forest a very short walk....miss that!

Those Henrys look and sound so nice.....HAVE FUN!  

32 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh that sounds so cool!

Since moving to Boardman 33 years ago we're surrounded by woods but strict NO HUNTING, NO SHOOTING rules here. I really miss my old house, open the back door and go shooting. Shotguns, rifles, pistol whatever plus a big lake 4.5 miles around and miles and miles of old growth forest a very short walk....miss that!

That's tough - for years I missed our 147 acres way out past Cambridge Oh, our old farm.

Now, with our over 35 acres, we explore, shoot, hunt, hike. Do hayrides once in a while. The most famous one, was on a warm still night, the whole bunch of kids were on the haywagon, my Wife driving the tractor, and stopped out back, in front of the woods.

I was out in our woods with a 5' tube from a friends leaf blower, and I made the most hideous howl/bigfoot noise, and the screaming of the kids was priceless.

Then later, they were talking about how they were so scared, and I walked up to the bonfire and said "did it sound like this?" and did it a little bit again.

They all LOL'd. Owning your own woods is priceless. I'm still waiting for Steve to come out and do some groundhog skeet with me,

but he's too smart for that. dammit. lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh that sounds so cool!

The lever on it is so smooth and easy that I can use the back of my little finger to eject a shell and the inner side to close a live one in the chamber. It's like corn silk smooth.