THE BROWNS BOARD

New ccw

calfoxwc

Yep. except for the skydiving. Only people who do that have screws loose. Like dancing in front of a black mamba or something - "yeah, it's a thrill, man, and I've done it x amount ot times so it's safe"

until you get bit one day.

anyways, I always have told my Wife, if anything ever happens to me, and I need to be in a nursing home/assisted living, don't ever put me in one.

Just put me in a tent in the woods so I can watch the squirrels, preferably at the edge of a big fishing pond and let me go.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But they don't seem to get it that at 71+ life is short and I'm squeezing every last drop of enjoyment out of it just like I have always done (ex-skydiving jumpmaster, ex-infantry) and that there are far worse ways to die than on a long hike up in the outdoors that I love. A nursing home scares me far worse than dropping dead on a long wilderness hike. I've worked on a nursing home unit at the VA. Just f'n shoot me!

We just started checking out nursing homes for the wife's mother, she's 94 just sold her house and car when she was 93 amazing woman......never sick. Lives with her sister now.

BUT "those places" have gotten way worse, unbelievably expensive  (one was above average at $6,367/mo, the rest no published prices.). My wife just retired after 41 years in a hospital, they're bad now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, keep your favorite gun handy. :blink:

38 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

We just started checking out nursing homes for the wife's mother, she's 94 just sold her house and car when she was 93 amazing woman......never sick. Lives with her sister now.

BUT "those places" have gotten way worse, unbelievably expensive  (one was above average at $6,367/mo, the rest no published prices.). My wife just retired after 41 years in a hospital, they're bad now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, keep your favorite gun handy. :blink:

I joke with my kids to just take me down to the coast along with my Hobie Sailing Kayak trimaran (Hobie Adventure Island)and allow me to set sail for Cuba. I'd sooner get marooned on Matagorda island than live in misery in a nursing home. My genetics are against me. Youngest grandparent to die was 86, two oldest 95 and 98 (both in nursing homes their last months of life). It's the biggest scam they have going against the BabyBoomers. Steal their life savings so their kids get nothing. One of the reasons I'm invested in a fairly expensive home is that under Texas spousal impoverishment Medicaid laws, you cannot touch the homestead nor half the savings if the other spouse is still living.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Father-in-law was in the Navy - got about 1400-1800 a month to help pay for the new digs from a VA program.

I'm guessing he had a higher level service connected disability that qualified him for that.

Back to the death getting closer deal, I said on a different thread that I found out two days ago my best friend from 11th grade in Venezuela died and was buried in the Veteran's National Cemetery in Beaufort, S.C. Now I am beginning to appreciate what my old granny that lived to 98 told me about everyone she ever knew leaving before she did, including all 11 siblings.

So get a two man tent out there cal. We can talk each other to death while popping squirrels for dinner. LOL!🤩

UPDATE:

My target area is finished. Drilled the post holes, planted the two posts, nailed in the 4 x 8 5/8 exterior plywood,

2' off the ground, put in two rows of old big cottonwood chunks at the gap in the bottom, put in three rows of old hay bales on the front and back, up to the top of the plywood.

Should be safe enough... shoots into a hillside about 8 yrds behind it, and trees. I'll place a thin 4x8 sheet of something behind it later to see if anything came through. lol.

But I did finally shoot my new Walther. It's awesome. I taught our friends' kids how to shoot years ago...they are adults now.

safety safety x 100, and she wanted to come out to shoot with me. This 9mm is awesome. The new design - a chamber that dissipates the gases from firing a round, works brilliantly. My ccw instructor is going to come out and give me some advanced training, hence the big target jobbie.

My SCCP 9mm kicked a lot - didn't fit my hand, and everybody who shot it didn't like it, including our close friends' daughter who just graduated from college who came out again this time.

But she loves to shoot this Walther ccp. The only gripe she had, was the texture on the Walther grip - it was a bit rough.I shot the first eight rounds, and it was amazing how much less recoil there is. It's said to be about 25% percent less. I believe it.   She shot three straight mags with it, and had great fun. She and I agreed, that we could probably easily shoot this ccp m2 with either hand by itself. I'm not going to try that yet.

After she shot it a few times, she said she was just gripping so hard - bracing for the kick that she expected, but never got. She said the grip texture was fine. She loved it, kept shooting. We shot 72 rounds in about 15 minutes, and you could tell that the chamber area just in front of the trigger guard, was starting to get uncomfortably warm. That is one drawback? to this new design - it will heat up after a while - (sooner than other guns?) but the recoil is much less - I could rapid fire and stay close on target with each shot.

With my friend's 40..or 45, pistol, it was like a civil war cannon going off. This 9mm is great. Can't wait to try shooting it with one hand - what if you had an injured arm, or had a bear chomping on your other arm?

Saw a great little gun some weeks ago. A Taurus? .22 semi-automatic for 210 bucks. Load the clip, breech load one into the chamber, and you are ready to semi-auto all shots. I want one. Maybe preferably .22 magnum.

Get yourself licensed/insured and open up the range for business.

My idea was to just set up a few old hay bales and plink away. LOL!😁

If you get the Taurus let me know how it works out. Sounds like the Walther was the perfect 9mm for you.

I had a similar reaction to the Ruger. Much, much easier to shoot with far less recoil than the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm I had stolen from me. Plus about a 5-6 lb. trigger pull vs 13+. That thing sucked bigtime.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:16 AM, calfoxwc said:

Is that the Ruger lc9? Nice little gun.

and I couldn't read what the second one was, but it looks bigtime classy.

The first one is a Ruger 9e. The second one is a Browning hi-power

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good news. This coming Friday I will have saved enough to get my Xmas present ordered. Ruger 22 LR Hunter. Ambidextrous model with thumb safety on both sides so I can teach my southpaw grandson how to shoot. I already told my son that when I'm gone this pistol is to go directly to his son, "The Left-handed Gun, AKA The Kid".😁

1.jpg

BTW-the dirty little traitor bought himself a Civil War private's cap...................................f'n Blue one.

Well the only saving grace is they had old gramp's crossed rifles on the front.🤩

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Good news. This coming Friday I will have saved enough to get my Xmas present ordered. Ruger 22 LR Hunter. Ambidextrous model with thumb safety on both sides so I can teach my southpaw grandson how to shoot. I already told my son that when I'm gone this pistol is to go directly to his son, "The Left-handed Gun, AKA The Kid".😁

1.jpg

BTW-the dirty little traitor bought himself a Civil War private's cap...................................f'n Blue one.

Well the only saving grace is they had old gramp's crossed rifles on the front.🤩

Those actually could be a nasty little pistol in the right hands against vermon and the like two or four legged varieties. Nice gun.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:51 AM, mjp28 said:

Those actually could be a nasty little pistol in the right hands against vermon and the like two or four legged varieties. Nice gun.

Well I ordered it yesterday and it came in this afternoon, so I earned some airline miles with my credit card. Told wife I'd deposit the money on Friday to cover. Turns out the grips are a very black walnut which looks even better than the light color in this picture above. Heavy little devil with all that stainless steel and an almost 7 in. barrel.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, calfoxwc said:

UPDATE:

My target area is finished. Drilled the post holes, planted the two posts, nailed in the 4 x 8 5/8 exterior plywood,

2' off the ground, put in two rows of old big cottonwood chunks at the gap in the bottom, put in three rows of old hay bales on the front and back, up to the top of the plywood.

Should be safe enough... shoots into a hillside about 8 yrds behind it, and trees. I'll place a thin 4x8 sheet of something behind it later to see if anything came through. lol.

But I did finally shoot my new Walther. It's awesome. I taught our friends' kids how to shoot years ago...they are adults now.

safety safety x 100, and she wanted to come out to shoot with me. This 9mm is awesome. The new design - a chamber that dissipates the gases from firing a round, works brilliantly. My ccw instructor is going to come out and give me some advanced training, hence the big target jobbie.

My SCCP 9mm kicked a lot - didn't fit my hand, and everybody who shot it didn't like it, including our close friends' daughter who just graduated from college who came out again this time.

But she loves to shoot this Walther ccp. The only gripe she had, was the texture on the Walther grip - it was a bit rough.I shot the first eight rounds, and it was amazing how much less recoil there is. It's said to be about 25% percent less. I believe it.   She shot three straight mags with it, and had great fun. She and I agreed, that we could probably easily shoot this ccp m2 with either hand by itself. I'm not going to try that yet.

After she shot it a few times, she said she was just gripping so hard - bracing for the kick that she expected, but never got. She said the grip texture was fine. She loved it, kept shooting. We shot 72 rounds in about 15 minutes, and you could tell that the chamber area just in front of the trigger guard, was starting to get uncomfortably warm. That is one drawback? to this new design - it will heat up after a while - (sooner than other guns?) but the recoil is much less - I could rapid fire and stay close on target with each shot.

With my friend's 40..or 45, pistol, it was like a civil war cannon going off. This 9mm is great. Can't wait to try shooting it with one hand - what if you had an injured arm, or had a bear chomping on your other arm?

Saw a great little gun some weeks ago. A Taurus? .22 semi-automatic for 210 bucks. Load the clip, breech load one into the chamber, and you are ready to semi-auto all shots. I want one. Maybe preferably .22 magnum.

I have my Ruger 22LR "Hunter" now and am going out this morning to my free shooting range provided by my LTC instructor. He is aware of my background and knows he does not need to be there as long as I let him know when I am going and "check out" with an email after I leave. Most ranges run from $12-$20 per session around here, but he's letting me used his for free and sets up a cardboard backing in front of his berms so I can pin my targets on it. Fortunately he is a fellow Vietnam Vet so he just lets me use his range whenever I want. I'm sighting in the Ruger (has windage and elevation screws on the rear sight) and putting through some 100+ combination of CCI Stinger HP rounds and Winchester Super-X round nosed copper plated rounds just to be sure the pistol operates without any problems. Then I'll box it back up and put Xmas wrapping on it for Dec. 25. It will be a total surprise.🎅🤠

PS-I have told my daughter-in-law that it is to go to her left handed son whenever I kick the bucket because of the ambidextrous safeties and grip. She wants me to train him on it when he turns 13 and is fine with me giving him an air BB pistol to train him starting at Xmas. He can go to the range with me for a couple of years with his air pistol while I show him how the Ruger works with just me shooting it. His dad or mom can come along if the want. LOL!

btw, my instructor says that Sig Saurer ammo is not very expensive, but

is really accurate and dependable. I'm going to try some out with my Walther. I might try shooting my

.22 semi-auto with a nice scope on it, to be sure I can hit a squirrel where I want to, at a

longer shot.

I grew up since age 11 (about 1960) shooting my dad's old Springfield single shot .22 rifle, when I finally started buying my own rifles and pistols. I worked in a hardware store with a sports department and at 16 bought my first new gun a Winchester 290 .22 S/L/LR and the guy there installed a Weaver 3 x 6 variable scope I never really liked it and eventually took it off and preferred iron sights or revolvers after that.

Ammo, well we used to shoot a LOT mainly in my backyard so I went cheap but you do get your favorites over time.

Basically I liked to shoot anything anytime with whatever ammo is available but got better ammo for serious shooting. AND for self defense guns I get good hollow point ammo.  I have noticed the ammo has improved greatly over time and like everything else has got more expensive.

Worst development I can NOT shoot anything where I live now.

Hey what ever happended to that .22 cal ammo shortage?  :lol:

After I zeroed it in today I took the Texas shooting test. First 40 rounds were all top scoring (5 points each) and the last 10 rounds from longest distance 7 got top score, two got 4 of 5 points and one decided to find it's own way somehow off the silhouette for a zero. Total score of 243 out of a possible 250. Not bad but I sure regret the stray. I think my Dad had a hand in that one just for grins. The old WW II small arms trainer would not have wanted to be outshot by his jackass son, even if he did teach me how to shoot well.🐴

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

btw, my instructor says that Sig Saurer ammo is not very expensive, but

is really accurate and dependable. I'm going to try some out with my Walther. I might try shooting my

.22 semi-auto with a nice scope on it, to be sure I can hit a squirrel where I want to, at a

longer shot.

I keep Corbon 115 Gr all copper JHP in my 9mm CC Ruger. Great self defense round that really spreads out and stays that way without much bending back.. Cost just a bit more than the SigS 115 JHP by around $2 per box. Very accurate round. I use the cheapo Blazers for practice. Also an accurate reliable round. 115 gr box of 50 is only about $10.50. They are actually made by CCI/Speer.

CCI/Speer, Blazer Brass, 9mm, 115 Grain, Full Metal Jacket, 50 Rounds Per Box

CCI/Speer, Blazer Brass, 9mm, 115 Grain, Full Metal Jacket, 50 Rounds Per Box

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

that's exactly what I use for practice ! I have my Remington hollow points - but have never shot them.

I may have posted this before, but Lucky Gunner Labs has done extensive standardized testing of multiple pistol ammo with multiple caliber weapons. I load up with those deep penetrating Winchester 9mm 147 gr Ranger Bonded rounds while in bear country. Got to have something to get through the fat to the vital areas. This website goes into great detail about their testing and then provides all the ballistic results.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

• Upvote 1

More good news on the Ruger "Hunter". The wifey says that since I saved up and paid for it myself I don't have to wait until Xmas to use it all I want. Now if the f'n rain will just stop (big flooding here in central Texas), I'll take it out some more. Got some new Aguila 22LR rounds I want to put through it. Been recommended to be as good as CCI by several expert shooters I found on the internet at far less cost. A box of 50 CCI Stingers I got from Walmart cost me $7 (5 boxes for $35). 5 Boxes of 50rd Aguila Super Extra Copper-plated High Velocity cost me $16.20. And the actual shooting comparisons I saw side by side by the same experts using the same pistol or rifle demonstrated tighter shot groups. So an equally good to better round for less than 1/2 the cost.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

More good news on the Ruger "Hunter". The wifey says that since I saved up and paid for it myself I don't have to wait until Xmas to use it all I want. Now if the f'n rain will just stop (big flooding here in central Texas), I'll take it out some more. Got some new Aguila 22LR rounds I want to put through it. Been recommended to be as good as CCI by several expert shooters I found on the internet at far less cost. A box of 50 CCI Stingers I got from Walmart cost me $7 (5 boxes for $35). 5 Boxes of 50rd Aguila Super Extra Copper-plated High Velocity cost me $16.20. And the actual shooting comparisons I saw side by side by the same experts using the same pistol or rifle demonstrated tighter shot groups. So an equally good to better round for less than 1/2 the cost.

Wow CCI Stingers, I must be getting old I think I remember when they first came out at the store I worked at. Amazing velocity out of those little suckers.

Nice pest/varmit loads.

God I miss the good ol' days shooting .22s in my backyard and fields.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

God I miss the good ol' days shooting .22s in my backyard and fields.

You just gotta find a place. Pretty easy to do still here in Texas, though I can't use my backyard/outback woods except for grandson's BB gun. Houses and a church are on the other side too close in for ricochets with .22s. But I have a free shooting range and a pay one even closer and a friend who lives on several acres out in the country beyond that second one. Can't use the friends right now because I don't want to scare off the deer just before the season opens. Plan to get my grandson a BB pistol for Xmas so he's well trained by the time he graduates to my .22 pistol in a couple of years.