THE BROWNS BOARD

Guard Play

Ibleedbrown

Both Corbett and Drango played every snap in the second pre-season game. They both played a mighty chunk of the first one too. When asked Hue mentions they need the work, and l would agree with that.

No one’s calling it a competition, but if the plan is to put the best 5 linemen out there when real games happen, l’m not sure which one of those guys l would pair with Zeitler when he returns.

Corbett seems the more athletic, but Drango seems more mauler like. I’ve seen Corbett pull a few times but only saw Drango try it once, and that was on Chubb’s TD run, and it looked a wee bit awkward.

Neither one seems heads or tails above the other right now in my eyes. Wanted to see your all’s take on it. I don’t think there’s any question both make the team.

7 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Both Corbett and Drango played every snap in the second pre-season game. They both played a mighty chunk of the first one too. When asked Hue mentions they need the work, and l would agree with that.

No one’s calling it a competition, but if the plan is to put the best 5 linemen out there when real games happen, l’m not sure which one of those guys l would pair with Zeitler when he returns.

Corbett seems the more athletic, but Drango seems more mauler like. I’ve seen Corbett pull a few times but only saw Drango try it once, and that was on Chubb’s TD run, and it looked a wee bit awkward.

Neither one seems heads or tails above the other right now in my eyes. Wanted to see your all’s take on it. I don’t think there’s any question both make the team.

I think Corbett, with more upside, holds on to the LG spot if they keep Bitionio at LT, and Drango is a super sub.

Only other real scenario that I could see happening is Robinson winning the LT job, which moves Bitonio to LG and then Corbett and Drango are both subs. Not as likely though.

Z

Zombo

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

We have a lot of college Tackles playing Guard so the rate of adaptation can vary.  Going from taking on DEs weighing from 240-265 to taking on DTs ranging from 300-350 lbs can be quite an adjustment in the running game. 

When I watched Meder headup twice on Hernandez (Giants' OG some people including me thought was a better choice at least when we first heard Corbett's name) - I was surprised to see piss poor pad height from Hernandez especially early on in the first quarter.  Both times Meder was quicker off the snap, lower with pad height and better with base and jolted Hernandez a yard or 2 backward. Hernandez didn't look anything like the fleet of foot guy I saw at the combine. It could be a reason he's spending more time fighting after the whistle in practice than taking care of business during the play.  Maybe our FO spent a lot more time weighing the difference between Corbett and Hernandez than some of us were willing to give them credit for.  Again, me included.

As a former OG and high school football coach, I can assure you line chemistry takes more than the first 2-3 quarters of the first scrimmage with an opponent.  This is especially if you weigh in that Bitonio only practiced about 1 week at LT meaning Corbett only had 1 week at LG with Hubbard and Drango having limited time together on the right side after we lost starting RG Zeitler.  Yeah, it would have been nice to average more than 2 yards a carry but they didn't film study and prepare for the talented 2 gap talent and consistent 2 gap integrity they faced up front.  I thought for a first outing, they gave Taylor and Mayfield some good pass pro.  As we saw in week 2, the run blocking improved considerably....

Like anyone coming off 0-16 football - we're not built to accommodate multiple injuries up front just yet.  That said, I see no reason to panic this early on. 

40 minutes ago, darren15 said:

If we played the Steelers tomorrow what would be the starting O Line ?

Well, If Zeitler isn't ready it's  Bitonio-Corbett-Tretter-Drango-Hubbard.

Zeitler should be back for Steeler game.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I think Corbett, with more upside, holds on to the LG spot if they keep Bitionio at LT, and Drango is a super sub.

Only other real scenario that I could see happening is Robinson winning the LT job, which moves Bitonio to LG and then Corbett and Drango are both subs. Not as likely though.

Z

Zombo

Robinson isn't winning the LT spot.  

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

As a former OG and high school football coach, I can assure you line chemistry takes more than the first 2-3 quarters of the first scrimmage with an opponent.  This is especially if you weigh in that Bitonio only practiced about 1 week at LT meaning Corbett only had 1 week at LG with Hubbard and Drango having limited time together on the right side after we lost starting RG Zeitler.  Yeah, it would have been nice to average more than 2 yards a carry but they didn't film study and prepare for the talented 2 gap talent and consistent 2 gap integrity they faced up front.  I thought for a first outing, they gave Taylor and Mayfield some good pass pro.  As we saw in week 2, the run blocking improved considerably....

Like anyone coming off 0-16 football - we're not built to accommodate multiple injuries up front just yet.  That said, I see no reason to panic this early on. 

So with your background and experience have have you put an eye on Drango and Corbett in the preseason games? My take is neither is a clear cut upgrade over the other. 

Corbett seems to be the favorite due to draft position and the fact he’s the guy playing not Zeitlers spot, but l see him getting beat and turned around a few times too. Drango hasn’t been perfect either.

10 hours ago, hx214 said:

Damn, OLine has really become an issue. 

Yep.  Joe's retirement has left a big hole.

And Bitonio's move has left a big hole.

And Zeitler being injured has left a hole.

....and RT was an issue BEFORE any of the above happened.

...Holy hole Batman!  

Apparently Desmond Harrison has been lighting it up in camp ....I hope he gets a roster spot, I drafted him and Calloway  for the Browns in rounds 5 and 6 of our draft :)

On 8/19/2018 at 8:11 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

Not an issue... Bito's been our Designated Puller (not to be abbreviated as "DP"...) since his days of being paired with Greco.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:21 AM, Zombo said:

Only other real scenario that I could see happening is Robinson winning the LT job...

Your Lotto odds are better...

On 8/19/2018 at 7:23 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

So with your background and experience have have you put an eye on Drango and Corbett in the preseason games? My take is neither is a clear cut upgrade over the other. 

Corbett seems to be the favorite due to draft position and the fact he’s the guy playing not Zeitlers spot, but l see him getting beat and turned around a few times too. Drango hasn’t been perfect either.

I agree with your take partially.  One thing to keep in mind with Drango's history is he's had to overcome back injuries at Baylor.  My thought for OG at the NFL level is you need to have a guy that can bend and give you an ideal pad height against the DTs ranging from 300-360 lbs.  OTs often face taller guys ranging from 250-275 so height and long levers are advantageous in pass pro in particular.  Drango's first experiences here before filling in at OG were playing OT in an unbalanced line in various situations.  Over the length of a full season, I don't know if he offers upside at OG despite his experience filling in there. I think he's more of a Tackle  on a team mostly looking to former Tackles to play OG.

I have seen Corbett make some mental errors in his first 2 outings which is to be expected at a new position at a more complex level.  That said, he can pull even though that needs work.  It looked like he bellied backward instead of staying tight to the line of scrimmage.  That can be fixed.  I think he can give us better leverage than Drango over the course of a full season. This is just as important as where he was drafted IMO which is why they liked his flexibility to play either G or C. 

Keep in mind, we've only seen him in 2 preseason games without seeing any 1 on 1 Okie Drills at practice so it's hard to give you anything thorough just yet.  As bad as our run blocking was in week 1, the pass pro wasn't bad.  Week 2, the run blocking improved overall but I would like to see a little more consistency.  Tonight will be a big test against Philly's front.

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/08/24/cleveland-browns-three-brutally-honest-insights/

Article that mentions the guard play troubles with the Browns, and a couple other talking points. Author seems to be pretty down on Drango but also acknowledges Corbett’s struggles.

If you get a chance to watch our first quarter vrs the Giants, watch the 2 times Meder lined up head up on what's supposed to be a World Beater at OG (Hernandez).  The experience in Meder knew he could WIN position against the run with a better pad height (leverage). And what guy in that match-up got Raggedy Andy'd both times.  Hint: it wasn't Meder.

This by any means doesn't mean I expect Hernandez to suck. Just the opposite.  I just like to bring it up because I've seen the only times Meder was head up - experience was undefeated against the learning curve.  This brings us to Corbett. He also has a rookie learning curve underway but he's doing some good things too. The only way to improve consistency sometimes is to learn by experience (often in the form of mistakes that can be corrected).  When he did a wide trap to the opposite side the other night - he stayed tight to the line of scrimmage and then he blocked the end trying to clamp on in and it looked awesome.  Unfortunately, there was another play where he had to pull that he never got there so that's the type of things that need to be cleaned up.  Totally doable IMO.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/08/24/cleveland-browns-three-brutally-honest-insights/

Article that mentions the guard play troubles with the Browns, and a couple other talking points. Author seems to be pretty down on Drango but also acknowledges Corbett’s struggles.

Well...it may not be surprising if we have guard play trouble.    We switched an outstanding OG to OT........and as I said, we weakened two positions in the process.

3 hours ago, syd said:

zeitler is back 

Zeitler and Gordon are ready to join the team now that camp has broke and there is only the scrub game left.

Seth DeVulva will probably have a miraculous comeback too,

Zombo

After watching the Stealers 1st half today I think I can say I have no idea why that HC has not taken that team to a SB. Lot of talent on both sides of the ball top to bottom. We will have our hands full opening day, especially our OL.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

After watching the Stealers 1st half today I think I can say I have no idea why that HC has not taken that team to a SB. Lot of talent on both sides of the ball top to bottom. We will have our hands full opening day, especially our OL.

That same jacka$$ ref crew that hung 14 flags on us bills game .Pete Morelli's crew called that game..17 more flags were tossed today. don't bring that junk show to us week 1 🙏 

Archived