THE BROWNS BOARD

Flash Is Back

MLD Woody

Gordon is like a ticking alarm clock.  When wil he return to the team?  When will he practice?  When will he play?  When will he Shmuck up? When will go away?  So much drama with a guy that has played 5 games in the last 2 years.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, hx214 said:

I’m pretty sure the Bengals had one for Pac-Man Jones and the WR that flew out the back of the pick up truck while he was trying to beat his girlfriend. Worked 50/50 in that case. 

Dallas had one for someone at one point too I believe.  

If I’m Hue, I’d hire one or a whole team of guys. Even if it cost me out of my own pocket. 

8 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Cowboys had hired some guys to keep an eye on someone a few years ago

That was Randy Gregory. I’d say it didn’t go well, but he’s playing again, faster than it took for Flash to get back.

2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

What did stallworth get ?

Damn. He did miss a season. Now I remember, I was just surprised he didn't spend much time in jail. I'd still be locked up if I did that.

I was thinking Ray Lewis, but he wasn't actually charged with murder, so he just got fined

13 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

with the wr corp we currently have i dont see the need to rush him. And i mean dez might still be on the table who knows.

all this is up to landry imo. If landry says he can work with josh and dez, bring dez in. But if landry thinks either of em is the ball cancer........bye

It will be up to Hue & Dorsey. But, as I (and others) pointed out before- with Josh back where does (according to the Cowboys lost a step) Dez fit in? #1 Josh, #2 Callaway, slot Landry, #3 Higgins. Yeah, we have the money to buy a very expensive insurance policy in Bryant- but not if he's going to be whining he's not getting enough balls thrown his way. There's a reason he's still unemployed. 

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Here's hoping he's here for the season... and beyond...

More importantly.. Lets hope Josh has his head on.. And his health in tow... I'm rooting for the kid... Callaway , too..

15 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

JG is the man. Really hoping he can dominate the league again like he has in the past.

Easy there newbie from the limpdick state...

First thing is to win a starting job... which he may well do, but lotta rust on JG and in case you haven't noticed... we have three WRs ballin' out.

3 hours ago, nickers said:

More importantly.. Lets hope Josh has his head on.. And his health in tow... I'm rooting for the kid... Callaway , too..

Yup... sorta a major prereq to my happy ending.

47 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First thing is to win a starting job... which he may well do, but lotta rust on JG and in case you haven't noticed... we have three WRs ballin' out.

Josh winning the starting job won't be immediate, and will obviously hinge on his knowledge of the offense more than anything else. His conditioning won't as good as other receivers, but it also won't be terrible either. The main issue will be whether or not he's a liability to our offense. Running the wrong routes, timing problems, etc. He's missed all of training camp so far, and that's not a minor thing, but let's also not forget that he was in the facility for minicamp and OTA's for the first time in his career. That has to count for something. 

In terms of winning the starting position, as long as he knows the offense, it obviously won't be an issue. As good as Higgins has looked, he's a far cry from Gordon. When I watched who Baker was throwing to against Buffalo, I couldn't help but think, "How would he be doing with our starting WRs?" 

Good luck Josh. You have more support than you know. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

It will be up to Hue & Dorsey. But, as I (and others) pointed out before- with Josh back where does (according to the Cowboys lost a step) Dez fit in? #1 Josh, #2 Callaway, slot Landry, #3 Higgins. Yeah, we have the money to buy a very expensive insurance policy in Bryant- but not if he's going to be whining he's not getting enough balls thrown his way. There's a reason he's still unemployed. 

Precisely!   If Dez had anything left, he would have never made it to Cleveland.  When his biggest fan on the planet (Jerruh) says "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out" - it wasn't just the lost step or 2.  It was all the finger pointing, calling out Garrett's faves and being a Twittiot. 

If we're going to go with infectious - we already brought in the right kind of it with Jarvis Landry.  Why mess with that?  

Just an idea.  Larry Fitzgerald's career got jumper cabled when it appeared he was losing a step and Arians moved his veteran savvy/size to the slot. BABOOMBA!  Joe Jurevicius came here and in 2007 - we used his size advantage in the slot to our advantage especially on 3rd downs in particular.  Randy Moss was a rookie of the year in the Slot with Carter and Reed on the outsides.  So, Landry has been lining up outside a lot especially in training camp practices.  Why not move Gordon to a simplified world of facing 3rd corners where he can run slants, posts, flags and drags?   And how often is a 3rd corner just a little bit shorter/lighter than the 2 ahead of him in terms of the size advantage Gordon would have?  It seems like we should put our change of direction guys on the perimeter where they offer us the ability to run every route in the playbook.

The Safety attention Gordon and Njoku would command should prevent defenses from giving extra attention to Landry and Callaway/Higgins...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

When I read the title of this thread I thought somebody was a couple weeks late in honoring your return.

I was gonna say, he's been called a lot of things and Flash isn't one of them.  Speaking of late, glad to see you back and in regular season form already.

12 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Gordon is like a ticking alarm clock.  When wil he return to the team?  When will he practice?  When will he play?  When will he Shmuck up? When will go away?  So much drama with a guy that has played 5 games in the last 2 years.

Hopefully he will help win a game or two while he's still on the active roster before the next inevitable departure...... 

On 8/18/2018 at 2:47 PM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

JG is the man. Really hoping he can dominate the league again like he has in the past.

josh gordon dominated the league for one season  5 years ago....in the ten or so games he has played since then, he has been mediocre 

at best by most metrics

34 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

josh gordon dominated the league for one season  5 years ago....in the ten or so games he has played since then, he has been mediocre 

at best by most metrics

He dominated his matchups last year too. We simply didnt have any one who could throw the ball to him. His conditioning is light years ahead of the year he dominated. We have 2 QB's who are accurate with plenty of arm. He is about to bitch smack every DB in the division. 

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

But, as I (and others) pointed out before- with Josh back where does ...... Dez fit in? 

Dez & his agent were in town.  YOU KNOW that scenario was discussed.  Dez & his agent left town.

With addicts, you just never know when they'll get their recovery right.  Some never do, some get it right the first try (although very rare), but most take a while to figure out what will work for them and how to overcome their emotions which they've been chemically suppressing for years.  Just remember, nobody wakes up one day and says, "Gee, I want to be an addict!  That sounds great!"  It's a complicated affliction that NEVER goes away, and it's very difficult to "un-train" a person's brain.  Gordon could still be using, he could be a "dry drunk" (not using, but not working on his recovery), or he could legitimately be working on his sobriety and taking steps to live a better life.  Here's where it gets tricky:  Even IF Gordon is seriously working on his recovery (which seems like the case), he could slip up at any time.  It's the nature of being an addict, and most addicts who have 10+ years of sobriety didn't get there without slip-ups.  Still, Gordon obviously has a support network in place, and that's terrific.

Assuming Gordon is sober, he's going to learn faster than ever.  Keep in mind that he basically never played sober, and I'm guessing his mental aptitude was seriously diminished.  Now, he's likely thinking clearly and will retain infinitely more data each day he's with the team.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gordon in the 4th preseason game.  I'd absolutely LOVE to see him play with Baker some!  That, and we need to make sure he gets some live bullets before our season opener.  Suffice to say that this is no normal opener, and winning this first game would go so very far into changing our narrative.  

Jarvis Landry might be the star of practice everyday, and he apparently outplayed Gordon on a regular basis during minicamp and OTA's.  But don't get it twisted.  As amazing as Landry is (he's actually far better than I thought), Gordon is the guy who will terrify opposing CB's and defensive coordinators, and Gordon is the guy who will make you pay on single coverage.  You miss a tackle with Gordon or take a bad angle, and it's 6 points.  Additionally, Gordon is quite adept at playing the slot position, and can hurt you all over the field.  Oh, and good luck pressing him.

Did anyone catch the curiously phrased Hue quote on Josh’s return? Particularly the “how long he stays” part, almost implying he might take a leave of absence again. I’ll paste it below.

“I am confident that he is here,” Jackson said. “I think that is the most important part. How long he stays, only Josh knows that, but I think he is in a much better place. I think we feel very good about where he is. I think all those things, as you guys know, are always fluid. That is always a concern, but at the same time, we are here to support, help and try to create the right environments for Josh.”

On 8/18/2018 at 10:51 PM, LBC mike said:

Yeah, we've all figured out you're not keen on the guy. Assuming he can stay away from the weed and booze, you take your chances on a guy with all-pro talent who's working for peanuts this year.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, jiggins7919 said:

As good as Higgins has looked, he's a far cry from Gordon.

Good luck Josh. You have more support than you know. 

Oh.... I'm pulling for Josh, but let's be realistic.... the Gordon of whom you speak hasn't been seen in years.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:35 AM, Flugel said:

When I read the title of this thread I thought somebody was a couple weeks late in honoring your return.

I was gonna say, he's been called a lot of things and Flash isn't one of them.  Speaking of late, glad to see you back and in regular season form already.

lol... thanks, Flugs.

Enjoyed being away... am enjoying being back.

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Jackson said. “we are here to support, help and try to create the right environments for Josh.”

Well now isn't that nice.  How 'bout a private dressing room...with a star on the door?

33 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Quite a contrast to the treatment JM got.

1. He was a QB. Supposed leader who fled the team.

2. He never got sober while a member of the team.

I'm sure if he did, he would have been welcomed back, in fact, didnt he do rehab once and the Browns welcomed back, said all the right things, no?

Oh, and he sucked.

Zombo

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Quite a contrast to the treatment JM got.

Whut, U mad? Difference is Ag- Johnny didn't enter the League with a couple strikes against him like Josh did. Or you want to say JM wouldn't have flunked a couple drug tests on the booze end, and highly probable on the cocaine front? Protocol the same?  Josh never beat up a GF either. 

Plus- Gordon had a Pro Bowl season on his resume- Johnny had nada. 

You both made my point. JM as not treated with kid gloves because they didn't care that he had a major drug/alcohol problem. JG has the same thing with many more failures over many more years, but they treat him different only because of the obvious talent. And Hue made it clear he was not welcome back under any circumstances as soon as he walked in the door.

Archived