THE BROWNS BOARD

Kizer's 142 Passer Rating against Steelers.

Dick Mellon

DeShone Kizer had a great game against the Steelers backups at Green Bay in preseason week 2.  I always liked him and considered him to be a gamer.  It's the Brown's modus operandi  to pick a QB in the second round, put him through a meat grinder of a rookie season and then cast him off, however, CLE is well stocked at the QB position and got a decent CB in the trade so maybe it's not all that bad.

For the record, Kizer completed 7 out of 12 attempts, giving him a 58.3 completion percentage.  He completed 2 TD passes for a passer rating of 142.01.

DeShone Kizer should have stayed at Notre Dame for another season instead of declaring for the Draft, and he could not have been drafted into a worse situation for him than the 2017 Browns. I have no idea if he's going to amount to anything in the NFL, but he's now in the ideal situation for a raw kid like him. 

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

DeShone Kizer should have stayed at Notre Dame for another season instead of declaring for the Draft, and he could not have been drafted into a worse situation for him than the 2017 Browns. I have no idea if he's going to amount to anything in the NFL, but he's now in the ideal situation for a raw kid like him. 

Wish DeShone followed Coach Kelly's advise at ND also..But really, he went 2nd round 2 drafts ago..What Round does he go in this QB class? Agents are to make there client money..DeShone in the end may have done himself right setting up his future..Sitting behind A.Rogers is far better than coach Kelly could ever expect..Kizer too, and as a smart kid..take the money..Kizer pocketed 1M over Mason Rudolph/year...

I knew we shoulda' kept that boy!  :lol:

.......and yeah a third year at ND woulda' made a HUGE difference in his progression as a quarterback along with not being asked to start 15 games in the NFL right out of the chute.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Wish DeShone followed Coach Kelly's advise at ND also..But really, he went 2nd round 2 drafts ago..What Round does he go in this QB class? Agents are to make there client money..DeShone in the end may have done himself right setting up his future..Sitting behind A.Rogers is far better than coach Kelly could ever expect..Kizer too, and as a smart kid..take the money..Kizer pocketed 1M over Mason Rudolph/year...

MHO? If Kizer had stayed at ND one more year, he'd still go second round. 

lets curb that enthusiasm till we deshone kizer against competent 1's. Last kizer saw GB's 1's he was tryin to throw back across the middle with clay matthews literally  blotting out his sun. Rem we went 4-0 in preseason last year and kizer looked pretty good toward the end of camp.

The kid shts the bed under pressure. That being said, u cant learn under anyone better than GB's starter

10 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

lets curb that enthusiasm till we deshone kizer against competent 1's. Last kizer saw GB's 1's he was tryin to throw back across the middle with clay matthews literally  blotting out his sun. Rem we went 4-0 in preseason last year and kizer looked pretty good toward the end of camp.

The kid shts the bed under pressure. That being said, u cant learn under anyone better than GB's starter

He definitely cracks under pressure.  Baker thrives under it. 

Kizer wasn't that bad a pick for rd 2,  but it was understood that he needed to sit and learn for at least a year,  except for the Browns office and coaching staff 

15 hours ago, gumby73 said:

That is quite a brilliant observation. 

This draft class in 2018 was quite full of QB's and if you look at PIT, they did a similar thing by drafting Rudolph in round 3 a year after they drafted Dobbs in round 4.  Now PIT is showcasing Dobbs in the preseason by giving him a lot of playing time to try to trade him away.  I like Dobbs, but Kizer is better than Dobbs and they both have a huge upside and plenty of potential. 

Kizer looked exactly the same against PIT as he did when he was with CLE.  The PIT backups that he faced were further down the line than the PIT backups that he faced in week 17 last season.  Kizer has everything that a team would want in a QB.  He has size, strength, maneuverability, speed,poise in the pocket, and a nice throwing motion.

I wish him a Josh Dobbs all the best and I hope that they get their chance to show what they can do and realize their potential.

Kizer's a tough kid with potential. I would have kept him around, something behind the scenes caused his ouster.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him doing well down the road. He should beat out Huntley for the #2 job.

26 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Kizer's a tough kid with potential. I would have kept him around, something behind the scenes caused his ouster.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him doing well down the road. He should beat out Huntley for the #2 job.

Nah, it was in front of the scenes- inaccurate, and  a turnover machine in the Red Zone. We weren't wasting any more time to see if he could develop. 

22 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Huntley isn't too bad as a backup but Kizer has some yet unknown potential......we saw him run for his life with no real receivers last year, he must feel born again in Green Bay. 

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

He sucked.

Not denying he sucked in the red zone. Too many dumb plays.

He played 15 games. Not many Browns QBs can say that since 1999.

He was the best of a crappy QB situation last year. I bet he lasts a long time in the NFL. 

25 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Not denying he sucked in the red zone. Too many dumb plays.

He played 15 games. Not many Browns QBs can say that since 1999.

He was the best of a crappy QB situation last year. I bet he lasts a long time in the NFL. 

That crappy QB situation was entirely the Browns fault. Nobody forced them to dump all vets and/or not sign any. 

15 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Kizer tough?.. Puhleeze... He's anything but tough.. He blows.. Kizer has reached his ceiling.. His eyes are too slow...

I'm very happy for Kizer.  I thought he handled a VERY tough situation with grace, and while he crapped the bed OVER AND OVER last year, he still played well enough to win a couple of games, and his team let him down.  What impressed me with Kizer's last preseason game was his accuracy.  Several of his passes were completed to receivers who weren't even open, and the ball was RIGHT where it had to be.  

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm very happy for Kizer.  I thought he handled a VERY tough situation with grace, and while he crapped the bed OVER AND OVER last year, he still played well enough to win a couple of games, and his team let him down.  What impressed me with Kizer's last preseason game was his accuracy.  Several of his passes were completed to receivers who weren't even open, and the ball was RIGHT where it had to be.  

Not to switch QBs, but Allen showed 10x more accuracy against the Browns than he ever did at Wyoming. We'll see if the two of them can continue on a positive trend.

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Kizer tough?.. Puhleeze... He's anything but tough.. He blows.. Kizer has reached his ceiling.. His eyes are too slow...

I'm sure we all saw what a 1-31 and worse a 0-16 team looked like with a rookie QB who only had 2 years of college football under his belt in the toughest position in all of team sports.....and in the graveyard for professional quarterbacks Cleveland to be quite honest.

Patience. We might find a lot more about the real Kizer in the next year or two not the last one. ;)

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not to switch QBs, but Allen showed 10x more accuracy against the Browns than he ever did at Wyoming. We'll see if the two of them can continue on a positive trend.

Hoorta, I have to completely agree with you, and I have to say I've been shocked by Allen's accuracy AND his footwork. We all know about his arm, and we all know he can do his best "Uncle Rico" imitation and throw the ball clear over them mountains, but he's more than that. His 3rd and 2 TD pass was beautiful, and his footwork and calmness was impressive. I can't wait to see him play again and I wish him the best. 

Archived