THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon stepped away from team days after child support order in heated case

Canton Dawg

Cleveland Browns' Josh Gordon stepped away from team days after child support order in heated case

The latest dispute came during a hearing held July 18 as the child's mother continued to pursue Gordon for child support for their 3-year-old daughter.

CLEVELAND -- Browns receiver Josh Gordon was in the midst of a heated and protracted child custody dispute in the days leading up to his abrupt departure from the team, court records obtained by WKYC.com show.

Those same court records allege an attorney representing the child’s mother threatened “to air sensitive information to the public in an effort to embarrass [Gordon],” who has been embroiled in the support dispute since 2015.

Court records also show Gordon earned so little money during his NFL suspension that he did not file income tax returns in 2015 and 2016.

However, court records show he expects to resume collecting his $800,000 salary and return to the Browns for their first game on Sept. 9.

The latest dispute came during a hearing held July 18 as the child’s mother continued to pursue Gordon for child support for their 3-year-old daughter.

Two days later on July 20, a Cuyahoga County judge issued a temporary order requiring Gordon to begin making monthly support payments of $6,765 beginning Aug. 1.

The figure was derived by Gordon’s $800,000 salary and the woman’s $16,952 annual income, court records show.

Gordon took to Twitter on July 23, surprising team officials and fans writing he would not be attending training camp as scheduled:

"To my Cleveland Browns and NFL Family,

"I am reaching out to you all personally and letting you know that I am not only doing great physically but mentally as well. You will notice that I will not be in Cleveland for the start of training camp. Rest assured, this, too, is a part of my overall health and treatment plan. I appreciate the awesome support I have received from teammates, friends, fans, and the Browns organization. Just like you, I am excited to start the season and I have every intention of being ready and available to join my teammates soon to help bring winning football to our fans.

"With the help of the NFL, NFLPA, and the Browns' organization, I have been able to utilize the resources available to me that will ensure my well-being on and off the field. By continuing to follow the plan set up by our medical director and his team and taking this time before this season starts, we believe it will help me maintain the progress I've made for not only today but for many years to come.

"Thank you all for your patience, love, and support! Go Browns!"

The Browns have said little about Gordon's departure, telling reporters they intend to respect Gordon's privacy and allow him the time he needs.

Browns senior vice president of communications Peter John-Baptiste said in an e-mail Wednesday that the team "wouldn't comment on his personal life as we are very respectful of our player's privacy."

It is unclear if the child custody case played any part in his departure.

But in September 2016, on the same day paternity was first established, Gordon abruptly announced he was entering an inpatient rehab program. He didn't play again -- and was not paid -- until the following year when he appeared in the Browns' final five games of their 0-16 season.

Gordon had an All-Pro season in 2013 when he led the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards while scoring nine touchdowns. Afterward, his life and career spiraled because of substance abuse that resulted in suspensions. He’s played just 10 games since his breakout season.

This year was expected to be Gordon’s grand return. However, his tweet clearly caught the team by surprise. His absence, however, has not stalled the voluminous child custody case that’s been unfolding in Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court since July 2015.

His child lives with her mother, Christina Lockhart, but does have some visits with Gordon, court records said.

Gordon, however, has failed to appear at several hearings, a judge wrote in court papers, as well as an early test to determine his parentage. His paternity has since been established through a DNA test. Court records show he’s also failed to comply with other court orders and discovery requests from Lockhart’s attorneys.

Many of the court disputes focused on Lockhart’s efforts to obtain Gordon’s full financial worth, which the wide receiver’s attorneys have fought to keep private.

His attorney filed court papers that show Gordon did not file income tax returns for 2015 and 2016, when he was suspended by the NFL and not paid.

Court papers also show that Gordon sent a text message in 2017 to Lockhart, which her attorney contends was an attempt to reach a settlement for $4,000 a month for Lockhart and a second woman with whom he had a child.

“After my debt and monthly bills, I’d say it could range from 2-4k for U and [the second mother],” he texted. “My salary goes up next year so I could afford more & after that hopefully a new contract & I can afford more but for now…I can barely afford any of it.”

Gordon did submit W-2 statements for 2015 and 2016 from the NFL Players Association and from training camp payments he received from the Browns. He also included a 1099 form from merchandise sold under his nickname “Flash.” The amounts were not included in records released by the court.

While Gordon has been away from the team, his attorney filed a court motion on July 31 asking that the temporary child support payments be rescinded. The first payment was due Aug. 1. It is unclear if a payment was made.

Gordon's attorney Tanja Holecek wrote in a motion opposing the order that the support payment amount was derived without the introduction of paychecks or testimony by either Gordon or Lockhart.

In a phone call Wednesday, Holecek requested questions be e-mailed to her office. One question e-mailed by WKYC.com centered on whether the child support issue was connected to his decision to leave the team.

Holecek never responded to the e-mail or a follow-up message. Lockhart's attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

In court papers, Holecek wrote of Gordon's inability to make the Aug. 1 payment.

“In fact, [Gordon] is not working, and according to his contract with the Cleveland Browns, he would not receive his first regular paycheck of the season until Sept. 9, 2018, if everything goes as planned.”

Holecek noted that Gordon would have been due a per diem, had he appeared with the team during training camp.

“However, because [Gordon] is missing training camp to pursue treatment, such income is in doubt.”

© 2018 WKYC

I hope this woman gets hit by a bus, and I hope the judge and lawyers do too.  Charging someone $6800 a month for child support is complete crap.  If he's truly ducking his child support obligations, then he should definitely pay A FAIR AMOUNT.  You don't get to be knocked up and then rich for 18 years, all because you bent over for a professional athlete. It's ridiculous, and completely unfair.  

And screw you journalist for posting this story.  Yeah, it's public record, but does everyone have to know about a person's private affairs?  

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I hope this woman gets hit by a bus, and I hope the judge and lawyers do too.  Charging someone $6800 a month for child support is complete crap.  If he's truly ducking his child support obligations, then he should definitely pay A FAIR AMOUNT.  You don't get to be knocked up and then rich for 18 years, all because you bent over for a professional athlete. It's ridiculous, and completely unfair.  

And screw you journalist for posting this story.  Yeah, it's public record, but does everyone have to know about a person's private affairs?  

I agree on both counts, the woman is a serious gold digger.

I also believe Josh stepped away from football, but it wasn't for this reason.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

I agree on both counts, the woman is a serious gold digger.

I also believe Josh stepped away from football, but it wasn't for this reason.

I agree it was dirt digging by some local reporters- and could be part of the reason Josh stepped away. He should sue for custody- I don't doubt you could hire a full time Nanny for $6,700 a month. (or less) 

....... His attorney filed court papers that show Gordon did not file income tax returns for 2015 and 2016, when he was suspended by the NFL and not paid.

Court papers also show that Gordon sent a text message in 2017 to Lockhart, which her attorney contends was an attempt to reach a settlement for $4,000 a month for Lockhart and a second woman with whom he had a child.

“After my debt and monthly bills, I’d say it could range from 2-4k for U and [the second mother],” he texted. “My salary goes up next year so I could afford more & after thathopefully a new contract & I can afford more but for now…I can barely afford any of it.”.........

And the BROWNS season is caught up in this?

And she threatened to disclose embarrassing information to the public if Gordon didn't cooperate.  If she wasn't a mother, I'd say I hope she gets a terminal disease and suffers a miserable death.  THAT'S how much I hate blackmailing pieces of garbage.  There's not much worse on the planet than someone who tries to blackmail another, and I wish her serious harm and misery.  I hope she eats and never tastes.  Breathes and never catches her breath.  Drinks but always parched.  She's the worst kind of scum, and karma will take care of her sorry butt.

Gip would know, but ~10% of a "father's" gross pay doesn't seem that high... and hardly "gold-digging".

As for the article... now at least I know what may be contributing to JG's absence... and it's less than I feared.

That said there's a fallacy with staying out when your next contract is at stake. Especially in JG's case he's wasted so many good years that it's likely to be his only shot at a really big one.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Gip would know, but ~10% of a "father's" gross pay doesn't seem that high... and hardly "gold-digging".

As for the article... now at least I know what may be contributing to JG's absence... and it's less than I feared.

That said there's a fallacy with staying out when your next contract is at stake. Especially in JG's case he's wasted so many good years that it's likely to be his only shot at a really big one.

And if Josh ever scores the big contract GF is thinking "Iz gonna be rich".   And contrary to some of the others- I'd never wish harm to another person, even if they're being a butthead. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Yep, some of guys need to dial it back there. The amount of child support someone will receive is always going to be relative to said person's income. That shouldn't be hard to understand. The issue with child support is that is that be very challenging to prove, sue, and win on the basis of HOW the spouse uses that money.

9 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Shmuck Gordon.  He is way to much of a distraction for a 1-31 team to put up with him.

My Gordon countdown clock is ticking. August 25th or I give up waiting for Godot. Ten days from now.

For those not familiar with the play-    It's about two men, Vladimir and Estragon, who are waiting for a third, Godot, to arrive. Very little happens, and during their long wait the men talk about their lives. Godot never comes.

u guys cant appreciate how this situation coukd stress the fuk out of him and potentially make him relapse? he has an issue with alcohol too. This easily could have triggered one of his coping mechanisms. 

my god $6800 a fukking month.....for one fukking child. This country is batsht crazy. How does a judge not understand this man is pulling no paychecks and he certainly has no endorsements. Whatbthe judge did potentially ruined that womans chances of collecting anything. Ffs ive been as hard on josh as anybody but damn if some of this sht isnt perfectly understandeable

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

u guys cant appreciate how this situation coukd stress the fuk out of him and potentially make him relapse?

Why should we?

If he was a Steeler you 'holier than thou' people wouldn't give a ratsass about him.

He's got two children with different women...and he's not caring for them.  He should GET A JOB and take care of his responsibilities.  A Ford dealership DID give him a job after he was kicked out of the league.....but he hardly ever showed up for work.  Admit it!  He's crap!  But he's hard to defend on a football field.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Why should we?

If he was a Steeler you 'holier than thou' people wouldn't give a ratsass about him.

He's got two children with different women...and he's not caring for them.  He should GET A JOB and take care of his responsibilities.  A Ford dealership DID give him a job after he was kicked out of the league.....but he hardly ever showed up for work.  Admit it!  He's crap!  But he's hard to defend on a football field.

What cracks me up is that some of the people on here who talk about how so many athletes are entitled prima donnas are the same people who will enable and justify a player like that IF HE'S GOOD AND PLAYS FOR THEIR TEAM. 

8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

If he had an $800,000 annual salary that 6800 a month would not be an outrages amount I do not believe. So just FYI child-support is computed on a formula set by the court using federal mandated standards so if the figure of 6800 comes up is because it was what came out after the formula was applied

Told ya Gip would know...

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

... waiting for Godot. Ten days from now.

Personally I'd rather wait for Bardot... and it's been more than 10 days.

Good God... was she hot in the day...

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

u guys cant appreciate how this situation coukd stress the fuk out of him and potentially make him relapse? he has an issue with alcohol too. This easily could have triggered one of his coping mechanisms. 

my god $6800 a fukking month.....for one fukking child. This country is batsht crazy. How does a judge not understand this man is pulling no paychecks and he certainly has no endorsements. Whatbthe judge did potentially ruined that womans chances of collecting anything. Ffs ive been as hard on josh as anybody but damn if some of this sht isnt perfectly understandeable

1. If JG's still that frail, then he ain't ever gonna make it.

2. It's not a matter of providing for the kid's survival. It's giving the kid the level of living he'd enjoy if he were in Dad's household.

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah man and hopefully she has the baby with her too that way Josh doesn't have to worry about anything right jiggins7919?...you moron  keep supporting this FU*KING BOZO.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Told ya Gip would know...

Personally I'd rather wait for Bardot... and it's been more than 10 days.

Good God... was she hot in the day...

1. If JG's still that frail, then he ain't ever gonna make it.

2. It's not a matter of providing for the kid's survival. It's giving the kid the level of living he'd enjoy if he were in Dad's household.

i understand thar argument "up to a point". No woman needs 81k for one child, thats absurd. I dont know the particulars here tho....if this was a long term relationship thst he bailed on and the woman had the kid with him thinking he was gonna be with her long term....ok, i start to see it. If this was some nfl groupie he smashed off in a couple times?......no uh uh

What is up with the jail time for not paying on time?  Supposedly get lawyers say he missed the 1st payment and his lawyer is saying first payment is not till week one of the season.

Laughing at you guys so much my tears have soaked by nuttsack. YOu dickheads are experts on EVERYTHING...................... Now you are experts on child custody, alimony and child support.

Seriously? Why do these players need agents? Why do front offices need executives? Hell, not long ago you jackoffs were assuring me that microfracture surgery would bring KW3 back better than ever. Who needs doctors? WHo needs any professional? Just come to you jackoffs.

Fahking idiots. How the hell is this woman a gold digger? Ah, did she make the ruling? You idiots, a JUDGE made that call. I am sure if a court ruled that YOU were owed $6,800 per month you would stand up and say................ " hey I want less, I only need $2400 per month, and I want the other 4, 400 to go to Josh so he can make millions.

Look, dipschidts.......... Gordon is a piece of garbage. He has no moral fiber and cares for nobody but himself. He tells a lie about wanting time to get himself together and you jackoffs chastize me for calling it BULLSCHIDT........................ BUT BUT BUT...................now you find out that Ghoolie WAS RIGHT....................... IT WAS ALL BULLSCHIDT...................

AWWWWWWWW............ poor Josh...... he deserves our support.... he is getting it back together and we MUST support him...................

B U L L S C H I D T..................................................... PURE BULLSCHIDT.

Josh Gordon is all about himself. He is the consummate Browns player. Lackadaisical, soft, and always blaming someone else....................carry on morons........... post more about how I am intolerant and how I don't understand a person who is "really, really trying hard". If the guy was a man, he would face his obligation and he would have been at camp. Gordon is a ghetto scum.  

19 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Laughing at you guys so much my tears have soaked by nuttsack. YOu dickheads are experts on EVERYTHING...................... Now you are experts on child custody, alimony and child support.

Seriously? Why do these players need agents? Why do front offices need executives? Hell, not long ago you jackoffs were assuring me that microfracture surgery would bring KW3 back better than ever. Who needs doctors? WHo needs any professional? Just come to you jackoffs.

Fahking idiots. How the hell is this woman a gold digger? Ah, did she make the ruling? You idiots, a JUDGE made that call. I am sure if a court ruled that YOU were owed $6,800 per month you would stand up and say................ " hey I want less, I only need $2400 per month, and I want the other 4, 400 to go to Josh so he can make millions.

Look, dipschidts.......... Gordon is a piece of garbage. He has no moral fiber and cares for nobody but himself. He tells a lie about wanting time to get himself together and you jackoffs chastize me for calling it BULLSCHIDT........................ BUT BUT BUT...................now you find out that Ghoolie WAS RIGHT....................... IT WAS ALL BULLSCHIDT...................

AWWWWWWWW............ poor Josh...... he deserves our support.... he is getting it back together and we MUST support him...................

B U L L S C H I D T..................................................... PURE BULLSCHIDT.

Josh Gordon is all about himself. He is the consummate Browns player. Lackadaisical, soft, and always blaming someone else....................carry on morons........... post more about how I am intolerant and how I don't understand a person who is "really, really trying hard". If the guy was a man, he would face his obligation and he would have been at camp. Gordon is a ghetto scum.  

I am an expert on child custody ,spousal support… It is no longer called alimony, and child support

24 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

To each his own. I consider you BULLSCHIDT expert :)

In my opinion, she does what many would do in her position. She has to try to get the best out of the situation being a single mother, who just happens to be the mother of a NFL player. 

The criteria for the amount of child support is a formula and the article says it. Does she need that much? Probably not, but if you have a child you try to get the best for him/her, right? I'm not going to judge the woman behind this kind of lawsuit. 

And about Gordon: if he has to pay, he has to pay. Probably a person with his problems is not the best economy manager and he truly doesn't have the money, but if so, this will serve as a life reason. You have a son, you have to support him and you share it with the woman you slept with. There's no time machine. I don't want to know what is it like to have your parents in such lawsuits. 

And last but not least, if Gordon has the money, he should have paid for it fast and discreetly, preferably not stepping on a court. You don't want to be in the aim of the media when you are probably at your last chance to succeed as a professional athlete and you already have to deal with a lot of off field attention and problems. 

10 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

Yeah man and hopefully she has the baby with her too that way Josh doesn't have to worry about anything right jiggins7919?...you moron  keep supporting this FU*KING BOZO.

Nope, hopefully the baby is given a loving home that she deserves, away from spiteful, vindictive, and opportunistic pieces of trash like the mother.  You don't get to receive $7000 a month a month for having a penis inside you and then delivering a baby.  Child support laws and calculating formulas are based on near ancient legislation, and it's obvious to virtually anybody with a pulse that a person should NOT be paying that much.  Congratulations lady, you had sex and had a baby.  Whoopty-Doo.  Now, had she asked for something reasonable each month, then yes, I'd be on her side.  But she didn't, and she's threatening him with blackmail.  She's the worst kind of filth.  

Archived