THE BROWNS BOARD

*GAMEDAY THREAD* FRIDAY AUG. 17 - Buffalo at CLE 7:30 pm -or- Baltimore at CLE 7:10 pm your choice!

mjp28

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I’d like to take a moment to once again thank Sashi Brown for “forgetting” how to complete a trade when it came to Hue and Jimmy’s deal for AJ McCarron

Yep, that was one of the things Sashi didn’t do that was actually beneficial to the team.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/14/2018 at 9:56 AM, mjp28 said:

*GAMEDAY THREAD* FRIDAY AUG. 17 - Buffalo at CLE 7:30 pm -or- Baltimore at CLE 7:10 pm your choice!

So what game do you go to and which do you listen to on the radio....if you're a REAL Cleveland sports fan. :o

Bauer (12-6) vs Bundy (7-10)

GO BROWNS & INDIANS, rock on!

Well over at Carnegie & Ontario Cleveland 2 Baltimore 1 Carrasco W,  Allen SV,  J. Ramirez 2R HR

Well it seems that hit by Garrett on McCarron that caused the incomplete pass gave the Bill's QB a hairline fracture in the throwing shoulder.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791538-aj-mccarron-collarbone-injury-reportedly-diagnosed-as-fracture

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well it seems that hit by Garrett on McCarron that caused the incomplete pass gave the Bill's QB a hairline fracture in the throwing shoulder.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791538-aj-mccarron-collarbone-injury-reportedly-diagnosed-as-fracture

But he's just a Zumba dancer.  :D

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

our pass rush is toast without garrett. Ogbah, nassib, orchard.....👎👎👎👎

However I notice that often they use those linemen to pull open holes in the OL and in goes a LB or a S. We got burned badly for the TD on a blown coverage assignment on one of those type of defensive plays. Overall I think the D team got a lot of quick pressure on the QBs, especially from the 1st teamers. I think Maccarron would attest to that.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

But he's just a Zumba dancer.  :D

And see what happens when you try to Tango with him instead of Zumba.🤩

This is what I hoped for the Browns to get. The return to his abilities prior to that first high ankle sprain his Jr. year at A&M. When both wheels are 100%, you see a difference maker. Just ask the ailing McCarron what that was like. Chipped by the TE and runs over/through the LT.

Bad News Browns Ogilvie here;) Penalties..We go from 11 called with 10 accepted in NY, to 11 called with only 7 accepted with Bills..2 were accepted on ST's Janis (runs into fair catch) another falls on coaches with too many on a punt🙄..2 more ST penalties were offsetting calls, blocking above the waist & running into the crotch of a punter(opps).Our net punts yards against were 28.9 after we got killed on punt returns also.OPI(offensive pass interference). Same drive Landry gets called on 1st down,Higgins gets same flag on 3rd down 1 play later.Cajuste gets a 3rd OPI call,on 3rd down again removing a TD off the board to get a FG.Avery illegal use of hands on 3rd down leads to Bills getting TD instead of getting off the field.Harrison a hold/Durango a false start, all the norm, with Shon Coleman(thought Shon played well) staying clean of calls but Harrison/Durango both happened on 3rd down again.Durango & Corbett played every snap. In the books it shows Orch taking the roughing the passing call late.Henderson was blocked low which caused Peterman to be hit low imo..call it 7 called minus 70 yards in penalties, but they were certainly at the wrong time to kill drives or stop them..

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

However I notice that often they use those linemen to pull open holes in the OL and in goes a LB or a S. We got burned badly for the TD on a blown coverage assignment on one of those type of defensive plays. Overall I think the D team got a lot of quick pressure on the QBs, especially from the 1st teamers. I think Maccarron would attest to that.

.🤩

Me too Aggies!   Guess who caused the QB to step forward into Ogunjobi?   Myles Garrett's pressure off the edge.  If that didn't exist, that sack probably doesn't either. 

Like Gregg Williams said last year, if we could just COVER somebody for another second or so - Garrett would have had a lot more sacks the 28 times he was about 1 step from the QB.  The better our team around Garrett gets - the more we'll notice how helpful he is at hurrying passers or pressuring them into other teammates in pursuit.

If he keeps the ankle healthy, what's not to like here?  I hope we don't play him too much next week. There's nothing he needs to prove...

It was good to see Nick Chubb reminding people they might want to give him more than part of 1 preseason game to prove himself.  If Mike Pruitt never got that, he would've never earned 2 Pro Bowls in about 4-5 years into a career that started in park.  I thought Chubb looked a lot more like the guy that succeeded in the SEC... There's still a lot to learn for all our rookies. 

I loved the coaching I saw Callaway getting in Hardknocks when he didn't adjust his route to the give-me the coverage leverage handed him in the 1st half of the Giants game.  The 2nd half went a whole lot better for him that night. 

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ode to McCarron’s Collarbone

I dropped back to make the pass

And in doing so got dumped on my àss

Incomplete

Now l can’t compete

Injury sutained 

Myles Garrett to blame

14 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I’d like to take a moment to once again thank Sashi Brown for “forgetting” how to complete a trade when it came to Hue and Jimmy’s deal for AJ McCarron

another possible blunder from hue

It's really concerning to me that we don't have a pass rush without Garrett. He seems like the only guy who can make plays consistently. I really need to see more from the other side. On the plus side, Ogunjobi is going to be a star, not good, potentially a star. 

I'm also not sure we can keep Genard Avery off the field on pass rushing downs. He's physical and extremely potent. He could very well be the steal of the draft. We also need to continue getting pressure without heavy blitzing because that's what screwed us last year. 

I've always said I want Tyrod Taylor to be the starting QB. I do NOT want Baker rushed into anything. However, I'm not totally sure we can keep this guy off of the field. Baker has magical footwork in the pocket. It's actually better than I thought it was, ya know? He moves so well but doesn't take off when he feels pressure. I'm beyond stunned at how he operates, I really am. To be perfectly honest, I need to see Baker against the number 1's, and I need to see him play WITH the number 1's. I need to see him with the receivers who get open, the line that blocks, and the real stable of weapons we have on this roster. We need to see it. 

I'm not impressed with our depth and not impressed by our special teams...STILL. That concerns me. Special teams can win or lose the game, especially to a team like us that will no doubt be in close contests throughout the year. I stand by my word that Tyrod is the guy for us, but if I had a concern about him, it's what happens when we're down 10 points in the 4th and the defense knows we're throwing it? Can he take the chances and execute when the defenses are expect it? We're certainly going to find out. 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Bad News Browns Ogilvie here;) Penalties..We go from 11 called with 10 accepted in NY, to 11 called with only 7 accepted with Bills..2 were accepted on ST's Janis (runs into fair catch) another falls on coaches with too many on a punt🙄..2 more ST penalties were offsetting calls, blocking above the waist & running into the crotch of a punter(opps). Our net punts yards against were 28.9 after we got killed on punt returns also.OPI(offensive pass interference). Same drive Landry gets called on 1st down,Higgins gets same flag on 3rd down 1 play later.Cajuste gets a 3rd OPI call,on 3rd down again removing a TD off the board to get a FG.Avery illegal use of hands on 3rd down leads to Bills getting TD instead of getting off the field.Harrison a hold/Durango a false start, all the norm, with Shon Coleman(thought Shon played well) staying clean of calls but Harrison/Durango both happened on 3rd down again.Durango & Corbett played every snap. In the books it shows Orch taking the roughing the passing call late.Henderson was blocked low which caused Peterman to be hit low imo..call it 7 called minus 70 yards in penalties, but they were certainly at the wrong time to kill drives or stop them..

Report from the game, what you just said, and more...

1) Far too many stupid penalties... (ghoolie is gloating) resulting in TD for Bills, and taking one of our TDs off the board... Duly noted punt coverage sucked, guys getting out of their lanes resulting in big returns.

2) DB coverage (or more exactly non-coverage) in the secondary in the second half was atrocious. Several where our guy wasn't within 10 yards of the receiver when the pass got there. Note to Mr. Williams- why are you still playing your safeties in the parking lot 20 yards off the ball when it's third and five? Inquiring minds want to know. That's a gift first down underneath coverage.  

General notes...

• It was fun watching Carlos run. Did not look to be 230#... looked quick... and loved the way he finished runs. Plus Duke looked fresh and Chubb played a little more downhill than Week 1.
  • Higgins is starting to make me a believer...
  • Our depth is pretty dismal except at LB, QB and RB, but that'll take more time. For now at least we have it in some areas.
  • Man, but ST coverage was bad... and returns weren't drastically better.
  • Agree with the earlier comments about the pass rush. Orchard flashed here and there, but has no depth discipline.
  • Avery was mentioned as a rusher... I'll +1 that and add Kendricks to the mix. I feel like Collins is destined for DE with one of these "kids' at LOLB.
On 8/16/2018 at 8:36 PM, mjp28 said:

Kizer TD pass! GB 34 pit 14 00:38 left in first half. :lol:  A. Rodgers looked good when he was in 1 TD pass.

Saw Kizer's stats... quite a game for him.

14 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

A statement like that begs the question.

Do you prefer leather or denim chaps?

Also, why do you think Collins won’t be with the team this year?

Mediocre production, a lot of depth, big contract. 

It wouldn't shock me if he's still on the team mind you, but I could see him traded off so a cheaper, as productive player could take his place. 

And leather, of course. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Mediocre production, a lot of depth, big contract. 

It wouldn't shock me if he's still on the team mind you, but I could see him traded off so a cheaper, as productive player could take his place. 

And leather, of course. 

Oddly enough read this snippet from a Zac Jackson article after responding.

• Though he wasn’t the only starter or veteran player to do so, it was still interesting — if that’s the right word — to see Jamie Collins playing with the second defensive group and being involved in high-speed goal line collisions late in the second quarter. The Browns are working on building enough depth to have a true rotation, but Collins has a lot of experience, makes a lot of money and really doesn’t need those snaps Aug. 17.

And good call on leather.

10 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Oddly enough read this snippet from a Zac Jackson article after responding.

• Though he wasn’t the only starter or veteran player to do so, it was still interesting — if that’s the right word — to see Jamie Collins playing with the second defensive group and being involved in high-speed goal line collisions late in the second quarter. The Browns are working on building enough depth to have a true rotation, but Collins has a lot of experience, makes a lot of money and really doesn’t need those snaps Aug. 17.

And good call on leather.

another of hue's punishments ? 

21 minutes ago, syd said:

another of hue's punishments ? 

All new news to me so hell if l know. Not sure what he’s done to deserve punishment, and l think he’s looked pretty good so far. I would put him above Kirksey and Shobert in the “what have you shown me lately” category. 

However, if we could get a comarably talented DT in exchange l would consider it.

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Report from the game, what you just said, and more...

1) Far too many stupid penalties... (ghoolie is gloating) resulting in TD for Bills, and taking one of our TDs off the board... Duly noted punt coverage sucked, guys getting out of their lanes resulting in big returns.

2) DB coverage (or more exactly non-coverage) in the secondary in the second half was atrocious. Several where our guy wasn't within 10 yards of the receiver when the pass got there. Note to Mr. Williams- why are you still playing your safeties in the parking lot 20 yards off the ball when it's third and five? Inquiring minds want to know. That's a gift first down underneath coverage.  

I assume that those were like our third string defensive backs playing in that second half. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I assume that those were like our third string defensive backs playing in that second half. 

Yep-I don't really pay too much attention other than watching to see how a few individuals do in the second half. Game 3 against Philly will be the dress rehearsal for the season. Let's just see how the team does against the SB Champs. Only after that can we justify panic mode.

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm starting to think Jamie Collins might not be a Brown when Training Camp wraps up. 

... and I am seeing DE in his future.

Archived