THE BROWNS BOARD

UPCOMING SCHEDULE - AUGUST 2018 - TRIBE a lock playoff team?

mjp28

UPCOMING SCHEDULE - AUGUST 2018 - TRIBE a lock playoff team?

Schedule

August
Date Opp Result Rec Win Loss Save Att
Wed. 1 @ Min 2-0 59-48 C. Carrasco M. Magill B. Hand  29,261
Fri. 3 LAA 4-7 59-49 J. Anderson O. Perez    35,242
Sat. 4 LAA 3-0 60-49 C. Kluber F. Pena    34,814
Sun. 5 LAA 4-3 61-49

Beeber 

D. McGuire B. Hand  28,993
Mon. 6 Min 10-0 62-49 T. Bauer K. Gibson    18,620
Tue. 7 Min 2-3 62-50 A. Mejia C. Carrasco F. Rodney  19,921
Wed. 8 Min 5-2 63-50 C. Allen T. Hildenberger    25,476
Thu. 9 Min 5-4 64-50 A. Miller A. Reed    25,942
Fri. 10 @ CWS 0-1 64-51 J. Fry N. Ramirez    18,772
Sat. 11 @ CWS 3-1 65-51 T. Bauer J. Shields C. Allen  28,061
Sun. 12 @ CWS 9-7 66-51 C. Carrasco D. Covey C. Allen  23,853
Mon. 13 @ Cin 10-3 67-51 M. Clevinger H. Bailey    20,607
Date Opp Time TV Indians : Pitcher Opp: Pitcher
Tue. 14 at Cin 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSOH C. Kluber (14-6) S. Romano (7-9)
Wed. 15 at Cin 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSOH

beeeber (6-2)

R. Stephenson (0-1)
Fri. 17 vs. Bal 7:10 PM ET  STOh/MASN T. Bauer (12-6) <--- OR BUF at  CLE 7:30? D. Bundy (7-10)
Sat. 18 vs. Bal 4:05 PM ET FS1/MASN/STOh C. Carrasco (14-6) Y. Ramírez (1-4)
Sun. 19 vs. Bal 1:10 PM ET  STOh/MASN M. Clevinger (8-7) A. Cobb (3-15)
Mon. 20 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN C. Kluber (14-6) N. Eovaldi (5-4)
Tue. 21 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN  
Wed. 22 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN  
Thu. 23 at Bos 1:05 PM ET  STOh/NESN  
Fri. 24 at KC 8:15 PM ET  STOh/FSKC  
Sat. 25 at KC 7:15 PM ET  STOh/FSKC  
Sun. 26 at KC 2:15 PM ET  STOh/FSKC  
Tue. 28 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN  
Wed. 29 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN  
Thu. 30 vs. Min 1:10 PM ET  FB  
Fri. 31 vs. TB 7:10 PM ET  STOh/SUN  

OH NO! WAS TO START FRIDAY.

CLEVELAND -- The Indians have been able to dance around injury after injury this season, but Tuesday they received news that will be difficult to overcome. Cy Young candidate Trevor Bauer has a stress fracture of the right fibula and has been placed on the 10-day disabled list.

Bauer was struck by a line drive above his right ankle on Saturday night against the White Sox. X-rays taken that night were negative, but an MRI on Tuesday revealed what manager Terry Francona called a "small' stress fracture of the fibula.

Adam Plutko will take Bauer's spot in the rotation and start against the Orioles on Saturday at Progressive Field. The Indians recalled lefty Tyler Olson from Class AAA Columbus to help out the bullpen for the immediate future.......?

Revised CLE schedule well the Indians schedule for Friday, NO BAUER for awhile.......

Fri. 17 vs. Bal 7:10 PM ET  STOh/MASN C. Carrasco (14-6) <--- BROWNS AT 7:30  D. Hess (2-6) <--- ALL 5 INDIANS HAVE WINNING RECORDS 
Sat. 18 vs. Bal 4:05 PM ET FS1/MASN/STOh A. Plutko (4-2) A. Cobb (3-15)
Sun. 19 vs. Bal 1:10 PM ET  STOh/MASN M. Clevinger (8-7) Y. Ramírez (1-4)
Mon. 20 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN C. Kluber (15-6) R. Porcello (15-5)
Tue. 21 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN Beeber (6-2) N. Eovaldi (5-4)
Wed. 22 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN C. Carrasco (14-6) B. Johnson (3-3)
Thu. 23 at Bos 1:05 PM ET  STOh/NESN  

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, mjp28 said:

OH NO! WAS TO START FRIDAY.

CLEVELAND -- The Indians have been able to dance around injury after injury this season, but Tuesday they received news that will be difficult to overcome. Cy Young candidate Trevor Bauer has a stress fracture of the right fibula and has been placed on the 10-day disabled list.

Bauer was struck by a line drive above his right ankle on Saturday night against the White Sox. X-rays taken that night were negative, but an MRI on Tuesday revealed what manager Terry Francona called a "small' stress fracture of the fibula.

Adam Plutko will take Bauer's spot in the rotation and start against the Orioles on Saturday at Progressive Field. The Indians recalled lefty Tyler Olson from Class AAA Columbus to help out the bullpen for the immediate future.......?

Ugh. 

So anyways, went down to Cincinnati for the first time and went to the first two games of the series, even got on the STO camera right before the end of Monday's game. (Remember Eighter from the old board? I'm friends with him on FB and he took a screen shot and posted it) While I like Progressive Field better, Great American Ballpark is pretty nice, with the exception of a mediocre selection of food. We really are spoiled at Progressive Field. One thing they did have was this spicy jalapeno mustard/relish, it seriously rivaled Cleveland's great Bertram's Ballpark mustard. So good. 

So funny story... As me and my better half are leaving downtown Cincinnati we head to the west side to the American Sign Museum before coming home. Pretty awesome place, seriously. Look it up. Anyways, in the building they share space with a neon sign restoration company. We end the tour in their work shop and one of the two guys who run the place notices my throwback Bob Feller t-shirt and jokingly asks: "Hey, is he pitching for the Tribe tonight?". Now, coming off 10-3 and 8-1 victories vs the Reds, I'm in a slightly Socky mood, and I retort: "Well by the looks of things, the only way the Reds would have a chance vs the Indians is if he did!" The Indians fans in attendance, and there were quite a few (there were Clevelanders all over Cincy during the series) laughed and laughed and laughed. 

Eighter, yeah he was always a good player on the old board. Haven't been to Cincinnati in ages a friend went to UC on a very rare athletic trainer scholarship in 1968 when we graduated high school he was a great trainer and premed student. Was there when Jim Obrien (kicked winning FG in SB V) and the great quarterback Greg Cook heir apparent to Ken Anderson were there. Went down to visit him several times had some neat access to UC back in the 1960s-1970s. Neat place. Went back for his wedding later. 

I liked the city not the drive, saw 3 dog night at the place that Oscar Robinson built. Now food, eh, I'll still take the NE Ohio even W. PA  area over a lot of places I've been all over the USA. Mustard that rivaled Bertrams? Do they bottle it, I'd have to give it the taste test.....hmmmm haven't had a bottle of Bertram's in awhile.

I've never tried skyline chili, never had malaria either. :lol: American sign museum, I swear I saw that on one of those travel shows, maybe PBS? Sounds interesting. 

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Eighter, yeah he was always a good player on the old board. Haven't been to Cincinnati in ages a friend went to UC on a very rare athletic trainer scholarship in 1968 when we graduated high school he was a great trainer and premed student. Was there when Jim Obrien (kicked winning FG in SB V) and the great quarterback Greg Cook heir apparent to Ken Anderson were there. Went down to visit him several times had some neat access to UC back in the 1960s-1970s. Neat place. Went back for his wedding later. 

I liked the city not the drive, saw 3 dog night at the place that Oscar Robinson built. Now food, eh, I'll still take the NE Ohio even W. PA  area over a lot of places I've been all over the USA. Mustard that rivaled Bertrams? Do they bottle it, I'd have to give it the taste test.....hmmmm haven't had a bottle of Bertram's in awhile.

I've never tried skyline chili, never had malaria either. :lol: American sign museum, I swear I saw that on one of those travel shows, maybe PBS? Sounds interesting. 

Don’t waste your time on skyline. It’s crap

2 hours ago, JDailey23 said:

Hey JD,  what's new? 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, JDailey23 said:

Man, the Reds pimped that crap to death. 

Chili shouldn't taste like somebody pureed pumpkin pie in it. 

So. Gross. 

(BTW JDailey, welcome to the board! This is RedRight. I expect to see you on my 'Dutch's 2018 Browns Questions'!) 

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Man, the Reds pimped that crap to death. 

Chili shouldn't taste like somebody pureed pumpkin pie in it. 

So. Gross. 

(BTW JDailey, welcome to the board! This is RedRight. I expect to see you on my 'Dutch's 2018 Browns Questions'!) 

Long time no see, Sir! Would be an honor

Looking forward to next season, the Indians need to find a full-time spot for Yandy Diaz. He's done every thing he can down at Columbus, and is 27. The guy can hit. (He really reminds me of Julio Franco)

I can see a scenario where Michael Brantley leaves in free agency, Kipnis moves to left field, JRam moves to second, with Yandy moving into third permanently. I think Yandy could replace Brantley in the #2 hole. 

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Looking forward to next season, the Indians need to find a full-time spot for Yandy Diaz. He's done every thing he can down at Columbus, and is 27. The guy can hit. (He really reminds me of Julio Franco)

I can see a scenario where Michael Brantley leaves in free agency, Kipnis moves to left field, JRam moves to second, with Yandy moving into third permanently. I think Yandy could replace Brantley in the #2 hole. 

What ever became of the future possible missing links: Zimmer, Ursula, Chisenhall  (29, 60 DL), Guyer (32) and a few others. Can't seem to get a steady OF in particular to stay together. 

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

What ever became of the future possible missing links: Zimmer, Ursula, Chisenhall  (29, 60 DL), Guyer (32) and a few others. Can't seem to get a steady OF in particular to stay together. 

Zimmer is out until Spring Training at the earliest.... Urshela was a great glove/mediocre bat prospect... Chisenhall is a FA at the end of the season and probably won't be back... Guyer actually has been playing much better of late. Naquin is still out, Martin out for year, Allen is ok. 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Zimmer is out until Spring Training at the earliest.... Urshela was a great glove/mediocre bat prospect... Chisenhall is a FA at the end of the season and probably won't be back... Guyer actually has been playing much better of late. Naquin is still out, Martin out for year, Allen is ok. 

Ironic isn't it the TRIBE has great starting pitching maybe the best in the AL/MLB but Bauer knicked, good middle relief, closers are good with Allen/Hand and hopefully A. Miller,  great infield D and hitting -but- the outfield seems like the easiest piece of the puzzle get in baseball is questionable and Brantley the key piece....any many including me thought he might be done.

But others including Houston have their issues.....is Boston the WS favorite? 

Going Klubbin'
The Cleveland Indians and Boston Red Sox will meet for the first time this season when the teams take the field at Fenway Park at 7:10 p.m. ET. It's a possible playoff preview, too, as these teams are on a collision course for the postseason. It's a primetime pitching matchup, too, as two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber takes the ball from manager Terry Francona against Rick Porcello, the 2016 Cy winner. These two pitchers have won the award in three of the past four seasons.

The Indians have won five straight road contests, and seven of their past eight games overall. They're also 20-7 in the past 27 games overall against a right-handed starter, and 12-2 in the past 14 on the road vs. RHP. In addition, the Indians are an impressive 22-8 over the past 30 road outings, and 11-4 in his past 15 assignments against American League East foes. While that's a great record, the Indians are 0-4 across his past four tries against teams with a winning overall record. The Red Sox enter this battle red hot, too, going 39-12 in the past 51 games overall. They're also an impressive 44-16 in the past 60 games at Fewnay Park. Boston has pushed aside nine of their past 11 opponents from the AL Central, and they're 6-1 in the past seven at home against teams with an overall winning record. The BoSox have won eight of Porcello's past 10 starts, and they're 8-3 in his past 11 at home. Boston is also 4-0 in his past four tries against teams with a winning overall record.

As mentioned, this is the first meeting this season between the contenders. Totals bettors will see the over is 3-1-2 in the past six meetings between these sides. However, the under is 4-1-2 in the past seven matchups at Fenway Park, and 4-1 in the past five starts by Kluber against the BoSox. The under is also 16-5 in Porcello's past 21 starts at the Fens against teams with a winning record, and 22-8-2 in their past 32 games overall at home. The under is also 4-0 in Cleveland's past four overall, and 4-0 in their past four vs. RHP. However, the over is an alarming 16-4-1 in Kluber's past 21 starts, and 4-0-1 in his past five inside the AL East. The over is a perfect 6-0 in his past six road outings, too.

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ironic isn't it the TRIBE has great starting pitching maybe the best in the AL/MLB but Bauer knicked, good middle relief, closers are good with Allen/Hand and hopefully A. Miller,  great infield D and hitting -but- the outfield seems like the easiest piece of the puzzle get in baseball is questionable and Brantley the key piece....any many including me thought he might be done.

But others including Houston have their issues.....is Boston the WS favorite? 

For the A.L, I would say so.

But anything can happen in the MLB playoffs. 

August
Date Opp Result Rec Win Loss Save Att
Wed. 1 @ Min 2-0 59-48 C. Carrasco M. Magill B. Hand  29,261
Fri. 3 LAA 4-7 59-49 J. Anderson O. Perez    35,242
Sat. 4 LAA 3-0 60-49 C. Kluber F. Pena    34,814
Sun. 5 LAA 4-3 61-49

Beeber

D. McGuire B. Hand  28,993
Mon. 6 Min 10-0 62-49 T. Bauer K. Gibson    18,620
Tue. 7 Min 2-3 62-50 A. Mejia C. Carrasco F. Rodney  19,921
Wed. 8 Min 5-2 63-50 C. Allen T. Hildenberger    25,476
Thu. 9 Min 5-4 64-50 A. Miller A. Reed    25,942
Fri. 10 @ CWS 0-1 64-51 J. Fry N. Ramirez    18,772
Sat. 11 @ CWS 3-1 65-51 T. Bauer J. Shields C. Allen  28,061
Sun. 12 @ CWS 9-7 66-51 C. Carrasco D. Covey C. Allen  23,853
Mon. 13 @ Cin 10-3 67-51 M. Clevinger H. Bailey    20,607
Tue. 14 @ Cin 8-1 68-51 C. Kluber S. Romano    19,034
Wed. 15 @ Cin 4-3 69-51 D. Otero C. Reed B. Hand  17,275
Fri. 17 Bal 2-1 70-51 C. Carrasco D. Hess C. Allen  28,264
Sat. 18 Bal 2-4 70-52 A. Cobb A. Plutko    35,007
Sun. 19 Bal 8-0 71-52 M. Clevinger Y. Ramirez    30,555
Mon. 20 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN C. Kluber (15-6) R. Porcello (15-5)
Tue. 21 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN Beeber  (6-2) N. Eovaldi (5-4)
Wed. 22 at Bos 7:10 PM ET  STOh/NESN C. Carrasco (15-6) B. Johnson (4-3)
Thu. 23 at Bos 1:05 PM ET  STOh/NESN A. Plutko (4-3) D. Price (13-6)
Fri. 24 at KC 8:15 PM ET  STOh/FSKC M. Clevinger (9-7) H. Fillmyer (1-1)
Sat. 25 at KC 7:15 PM ET  STOh/FSKC C. Kluber (15-6) J. López (0-1)
Sun. 26 at KC 2:15 PM ET  STOh/FSKC

Beeber  (6-2)

G. Sparkman (0-1)
Tue. 28 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN  
Wed. 29 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN  
Thu. 30 vs. Min 1:10 PM ET  FB  

21 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Cleveland 5 Boston 4 in game 1, good game!

Cleveland 6 Boston 3 in game 2, another good game in Beantown.

To finish August.......

Tue. 28 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN C. Carrasco (15-7) K. Gibson (7-10)
Wed. 29 vs. Min 7:10 PM ET  STOh/FSN A. Plutko (4-4) K. Stewart (0-1)
Thu. 30 vs. Min 1:10 PM ET  FB <--- what TV is that?  M. Clevinger (9-7) J. Odorizzi (5-8   and the BROWNS in Detroit at 7 pm)

C. Kluber (16-7)

This season's almost over.

Thursday 8/30 their magic number is 16......with all of September left to play.  

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Indians trade for 3b Josh Donaldson from Toronto. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/josh-donaldson-traded-to-indians/c-292746468

Cleveland acquired Donaldson and $2.7 million from Toronto in exchange for a player to be named later, meaning the Indians will be responsible for $1 million of the third baseman's $23 million salary for this season. In order to add Donaldson to the 40-man roster, the Indians transferred center fielder Leonys Martin (out for the year) to the 60-day disabled list.

Indians acquire Donaldson

Indians acquire Donaldson00:19Aug. 31st, 2018

The 32-year-old Donaldson -- currently rehabbing a left calf injury that has sidelined him since late May -- will be eligible for the postseason for the Indians, who are closing in on their third straight American League Central title. Players needed to be dealt prior to 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday night in order to be eligible for the playoffs with the acquiring team. In Donaldson's case, he went unclaimed on waivers before Toronto and Cleveland struck the deal.

Naturally, the Indians and Blue Jays have a four-game series in Toronto, beginning Thursday.

Chris Antonetti, the Indians' president of baseball operations, said that the club began its push to land Donaldson around 1 p.m. ET, when the third baseman cleared waivers. On Saturday, the third baseman will be active for Cleveland's game against Tampa Bay, but Antonetti and manager Terry Francona will meet with Donaldson to go over the plan for the coming days and week.

"Obviously, this is one of the most dynamic players in the game on both sides of the ball when he's healthy," Antonetti said. "We think there's an opportunity for him to get to a point this month where he'll be playing in games regularly and has a chance to impact us in the postseason. It was not an easy process to work through, complicated by Josh's health status this year and him now just working his way back to full health."

•  Expect plenty of emotion and passion from Donaldson in October

Due to the trade, Donaldson will not be eligible for a Qualifying Offer (estimated to be in the neighborhood of $17 million or $18 million). The 2015 AL Most Valuable Player will become an unrestricted free agent without Draft pick compensation tied to his signing.

In Donaldson, the Indians are getting a three-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger who has finished in the top four in MVP voting three times in his career. Across the 2013-17 seasons between stints with the A's and Blue Jays, Donaldson hit .282 with a .901 OPS, averaging 33 homers, 32 doubles, 98 RBIs and 98 runs scored per season. In that span, he posted a 145 OPS+, indicating he performed 45 percent above league average.

This season has been a different story, though........

Archived