THE BROWNS BOARD

Honest thoughts

LBC mike

24 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:
  1. I like the sight adjustments on the backshoulder.  Make no mistake a couple of those were just that.
  2. Like I said earlier, Chubbs initial stance appears way too upright.
  3. My only beef is ball placement.   That ball NEEDS to be higher.   I also don't think he saw the corner drop off his initial zone.   A good CB will get under that if not outright it.     Your TE is 6'5.  Put that ball up, young blood.    

Nice write up. A couple specific comments/ builds.

1. Our QBs actually look like they are getting coaching.
  2. Yeah... and it starts with his set. Never seen a RB that upright.
  3. Might have been higher, but I thought the ball was high. Something we never seemed to see last season.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Offense 

- I like the sight adjustments on the backshoulder.  Make no mistake a couple of those were just that.  So TT showing trust early with Hollywood bodes well for this group.  His willingness to also give Landry a 1on1 shot against a pretty damn good DB in Janoris was a welcomed sign.    Perhaps he'll feel more comfortable with some of these weapons and Haley getting into his ear about attacking DB's in those man looks.   You have an OC that likes pushing the ball downfield on top of the quick hitters...  early returns are indicating those lessons are heard and applied.

- Speaking of new OC's (called it) Haley LOVES that bunch formation and we went to it often.      

-  So far Dayes is my #2 back on this team and I'm hoping the coaching staff rolls with Hyde, Dayes, Chubb and Duke as the flex.  

Defense

- Interior Dline held up nicely for the 1's and 2's.      The Gmen aren't that strong up front but they aren't the worst group either.  

- Good job opening blitz lanes on some of the designed calls.  The one with Kendricks ( I know it's spelled differently but I'm not bothering to look it up) being the most obvious

- Linebackers flew around laterally and attacked downhill early, rarely missing assignments.

- Nobody in the revamped secondary, including our rookie CB, looked out of place.  

- The creativity in showing pressures and getting home with 4 man looks while dropping ends was good to see.   Williams not afraid to switch things up and go away from tendencies.  Went with a double A gap blitz one 3rd down  

Good to see some nuts & bolts of ballin again..Awesome Tia.. am hoping your right on Tyrod & Haley.Take some shots and trust that your guys will fight to go get it.Tyrod seems to be working hard to keep up with Haley's mindgame & playbook.1st in,last out. Tyrod maybe tossing the Dez word around hoping he can still go fight for a ball in the air. Big fan of Dayes at NC State. The kid needs a honest chance to make this squad.He's got talent more than a ST'er.. hey, Have ya made it to a camp day yet? seems like the browns are big on bringing in groups, feeding their own tickets?

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Good to see some nuts & bolts of ballin again..Awesome Tia.. am hoping your right on Tyrod & Haley.Take some shots and trust that your guys will fight to go get it.Tyrod seems to be working hard to keep up with Haley's mindgame & playbook.1st in,last out. Tyrod maybe tossing the Dez word around hoping he can still go fight for a ball in the air. Big fan of Dayes at NC State. The kid needs a honest chance to make this squad.He's got talent more than a ST'er.. hey, Have ya made it to a camp day yet? seems like the browns are big on bringing in groups, feeding their own tickets?

Won't be able to make it to camp this year.  Settled on dates too late and no tickets are available. 

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Nice write up. A couple specific comments/ builds.

1. Our QBs actually look like they are getting coaching.

Let's not overlook TT either. In reviewing BM these guys note that TT had a perfect QB score for the evening. BM will not take that job away any time soon if he continues like that all season. Both were just so impressive compared to not only last year, but to anyone in week one preseason.

Tyrod gets no love ever. He looked great

It's clear why they picked mayfield after seeing all their debuts. Aside from maybe 2 passes,  everything else hit guys in the hands.  No big mistakes,  moved the chains, and made plays when needed. 

If Gordon and Landry are on the field together,  that's a problem for defenses.  Let's hope they can keep it together 

On 8/10/2018 at 10:53 AM, Canton Dawg said:

I wonder how long Pog has been a writer for the NY Post?

image.png.be7c4b93ca6cc0fb6a20f4efbd822172.png

Best player in the draft. Baker is pedestrian. To Hoorta................ yeah, Jim Brown ran for a touchdown every play. Idiot

9 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Best player in the draft. Baker is pedestrian. To Hoorta................ yeah, Jim Brown ran for a touchdown every play. Idiot

LOL-did just as predicted, one long run followed by nada.

Got anything more on Lynch other than the near lynching last night? 🤩

EDIT: And welcome back Tom. How was vacation?

30 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Baker is pedestrian.

That pedestrian had the best first preseason game at QB that we've seen since the team returned.   Doesn't mean he'll be great.....but it was a good sign.

...the Giants got the running back.  He might end up being good.....but WE needed the QB...and not just ANY QB...the best one.  Hopefully, we DID pick the best one.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

That pedestrian had the best first preseason game at QB that we've seen since the team returned.   Doesn't mean he'll be great.....but it was a good sign.

...the Giants got the running back.  He might end up being good.....but WE needed the QB...and not just ANY QB...the best one.  Hopefully, we DID pick the best one.

Darnold and mayfield had the best games by far.  I'd say Jackson was #3, Allen #4,  and the rest were kinda meh

I know it's just one game,  but baker looked every bit as good as he did at OU. 

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Yawn- Zumba dancer gets lucky. Denver fans ready to lynch Paxton.  Ready to get beat out by a 7th round draft pick. 

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Cardinals Oline is going to get Rosen killed. 

I was watching that game last nite as well. How 'bout those shotgun snaps? Geesh...

His pocket awareness saved him a couple times. And every time he was given a decent snap, he seemed to cash it... problem was there weren't too many of them.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I was watching that game last nite as well. How 'bout those shotgun snaps? Geesh...

His pocket awareness saved him a couple times. And every time he was given a decent snap, he seemed to cash it... problem was there weren't too many of them.

Honest to God, I can think of two of my former team mates that played Center who could snap better live action NFL... right this moment.    That might be some of the worst play I've seen from an interior lineman in a long time.   That includes Cam Erving.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Honest to God, I can think of two of my former team mates that played Center who could snap better live action NFL... right this moment.    That might be some of the worst play I've seen from an interior lineman in a long time.   That includes Cam Erving.  

Seriously Tia? I didn't see that game. Camshaft was freaking stinko beyond belief. IIRC he had that 6' over the qbs head snap for an uncontested safety .  

Rough supporting cast,  but it'll get better with Fitz and Johnson out there

Still made some nice throws.  Baker just looks more in command of the team,  more composed. Kept plays alive under big pressure.  No real dangerous mistakes. Rosen threw a pick 6,  and that's my biggest knock on him.  He just seems to have a few throws a game like wtf were you thinking?  But he definitely puts up big numbers

On 8/12/2018 at 8:18 PM, Orion said:

Actually, Eric Zier had a better first game showing. NIce try.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Actually, Eric Zier had a better first game showing. NIce try.

huh?  Eric Zeier was on the team in 1995.  That's prior to the team's return in '99.......and I bet you cannot dig up the stats of his first preseason game for the Browns.

...and that's not the point.  The point is Mayfield looked quite composed.  He looked like a starting QB.  I'm certain he wouldn't look that good playing with the ones.....but he doesn't practice with them.   

I don't know how good he will or won't be going forward......but he didn't give any indication that he's a bum in game #1.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Mayfield, Darnold looked good week 1.. Rosen, Allen, and Jackson did not.

Granted, I think Ohio State would at this point be better than what the Cards backups did vs Chargers backups..

18 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Rough supporting cast,  but it'll get better with Fitz and Johnson out there

Still made some nice throws.  Baker just looks more in command of the team,  more composed. Kept plays alive under big pressure.  No real dangerous mistakes. Rosen threw a pick 6,  and that's my biggest knock on him.  He just seems to have a few throws a game like wtf were you thinking?  But he definitely puts up big numbers

Haven't seen Darnold or Jackson's debuts, but the comments on the others are spot on.

• Rosen was late on square outs all nite... even when he occasionally got a good snap. He was lucky to not have two pick-6's.
  • Allen was Allen... one-third "wow!", one-third "huh? and one-third "sheesh". The latter included a Weedon-esque, backhanded, jump ball.

Our guy looked the best of the three I saw... and not by a little.

another thing I liked about Mayfield NO timeouts at the los also NO issue's with the time clock,,,,now this could also pertain to Haley calling the play's in  and not hue wondering if we should call a draw play on 3rd and 12 and then deciding to throw a fly route to colman  UH OH hue the play clock just ran out

Rosen did some good things too, especially behind a porous line.    But the Chargers threw quite a bit of cover 1 and 3 at him.   But when they didn't, the DB's took advantage.  Josh expected one thing, mixed them up, the not-6 being an example.   For tape...

@ 00:20   Looks like you're typical C3 but with a bail.      Josh makes the most of a bad snap, slides very efficiently in the pocket sensing pressure while keeping his eyes downfield.   Waits for the TE to uncover and delivers a ball only his man can catch.    That's good stuff.

@ 00:47  This is the not so good.  You have a 5 man front, the MIKE charges hard B/C gap.   It's a max pro, 3 man pattern, 7 step drop the the whole way .  Josh will learn quickly - when he plants that back foot... the ball has to be gone.    Does a heads up thing spiking it at the inline TE, but that could have been ugly.

@ 1:26  The not-6.   2x2 and Josh checks into the hitch the without even thinking elsewhere.   Never bothered to double check the safeties - they won't lie to you.  Unless you're dealing with like, Ed Shmucking Reed.    For those watching at home, that is a smash concept.   Hitch outside, flag inside.   Read corner, throw corner.   However against those soft C2 looks with athletic DB's, you have to possess elite accuracy and timing.    It's a C2 look with from a 4-3 stack except that WILL backer is Desmond King.   This is where, as a rookie, you can be overwhelmed.  The little things come back to bite you in the butt.   Sure, the defender has inside leverage, but he has better wheels than your "traditional" WILL backer.  Desmond sees the back stay in to protect and has a great feel for the route combination.      Rookie being a rookie. 

@ 2:55 is good Sheet though.

Chargers show a weakside boundary pressure, end up backing out of it and bringing the slot CB from the field.   They also flipped the safeties post snap, showing a robber/rat to one side, who ends up rotating deep center while the man he's replacing picks up the #2 going vertical.   Josh sees this at 2:57, holds the safety and knows exactly where he is going then delivers a great backshoulder buzz.    Take note, THAT is an NFL caliber read and throw.  

Meanwhile, as much as I enjoyed Bakers debut, he had a couple reads and not throws that would most likely end up being regular season sacks.   Off the top of the dome I remember the 4th down play where he had the slant/flat combo, saw it and failed to pull the trigger, came back to the far side slant and couldn't see it.        My point being, let's pump the brakes about any QB so far.   Even Allen who I liked to clown on so much.   Kid has a cannon for an arm though, never a doubt about that.  

While I'm at it, for a local Chiefs fan that claims their 2018 offense will be of historic nickname levels....

Patrick's issue is command of his own offense, digesting route combinations apart from the obvious, seeing them in his mind and applying them to the defense presented.   He missed several reads in just this short clip alone.   

The KC offense this year will be predicated on Hunt churning out yardage, Kelce being damn near illegal to cover and Tyreek having freakish YAC ability.     But don't be surprised if you see another offensive slowdown mid season like you did last year with this squad.  Mahomes  (to date) isn't as efficient as Smith is.

Archived