THE BROWNS BOARD

Honest thoughts

LBC mike

Granted its only presason .

Run game looked bad 

O line looked questionable

WR core needs another body because of Gordon and Callaway status.

Run D Needs work on edges .

Dez coming in next week.

QB play was something I haven’t seen in over a decade. Poise in the pocket and accurate passes from both. I’m probably getting way too excited about it. I’ll wait to see about the run game when it’s not majority Nick. OLine does look like it could be pretty shaky. DLine as well. 

Lots to be happy about. We have 2 legit Quarterbacks.. Disagree about the O line. .Maybe because we have 2 mobile QB's it didn't look as bad as it could have been. But Baker stood in the pocket numerous times. He had good presence and poise.. Both QB's were quick and decisive and got the ball out fast..

Running game other than Baker Mayfield was non-existent....   Outside run defense was pretty bad. I think overall defense was just OK this time around. 

Way to may penalties AGAIN!!!!!    

Lot's to be happy about.. We won the game of 1st stringers, which is good. We didn't win this game in the 4th quarter after having been beaten apart in the 1st quarter....

Yea, I am happy about this game

Bob Pound

I think Higgins can be that fourth guy.

I think he balances the top 3 pretty well.

But I'm more confident in Gordon and Cab being available than most.

Jeff Janis is going to make the team too, would like to see more on-field reps as a WR.

Zombo

Plan to rewatch the game to break it down and key in on a few players. Initial thoughts were pretty much inline the OP.

I’ll add a couple things. Very impressed with the open field tackling across the board with the defense.

Starting to wonder where Duke fits in with all the new and/or revitalized weapons. Didn’t see much of him last night and haven’t heard any camp stories about him getting cohesive with the new QBs and system like we’ve heard about Landry, Higgins and Calloway.

A few bubble guys who caught my eye with positive showings were Bello, Orchard and Berry.

57 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I wonder how long Pog has been a writer for the NY Post?

image.png.be7c4b93ca6cc0fb6a20f4efbd822172.png

Dang, didn't we talk about this pre-draft? One big run, then a whole lot of nothing the rest of the game. Barkley's MO. :)

First preseason game. Don't care, ain't worrying about nothin. I was actually really impressed with how well the oline played, with it being their first preseason outing.

Amazed by our top two qb's. OMG - Mayfield just keeps showing he's a special talent. I think we finally have our future qb with a Bernie Kosar type qb brain.

The players were sky high, and it showed every play. They were haven't fun out there, and they meant business. A couple of taunting penalites - Ward was grinning a bit about it - when asked. They know it's preseason and they can fix that easy.

The Browns couldn't run the ball, don't care. Everybody knows it's preseason, not showing much, nothing fancy, so the Giants went after the running game, dared them to pass and win.  So, the Browns passed them silly and won the game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401030992

The upside - passing first downs - 12 - 8(giants)

4th down efficiency - 2 fer 2, 0-1(giants)

total yards 372 - 310(giants)

passing yards 322 - 176(giants)

Completions/attempts    18/29 62%     22/45 48%(giants)

yards per pass   10.7     3.7(giants)

The penalties - don't care right now. that will get fixed

The offensive line isn't quite settled yet. I will say this - I get po'd when I see the Browns called

for offensive line holding, and the other team gets away with holding. What the hell is up with that?

Just my vivid imagination? lol

Just wait til later - when defenses know the Browns will pass them silly if they just shut down the running game.

Honest thought 🤔...So much has been made from the media all offseason about Baker Mayfield's size. Simply got tired of reading it..So instead of welcoming Baker to Munchkinland. As most scouts and Media did. I'd like to welcome them  to Bakers Land! 

Is that Baker on the left or right;).. Browns do have a  history and we did glorify some names..So will Baker be a Bust,be a Bust,be a Bust..in the Hall of Fame?.Stay tuned, it's only his  first preseason game ...but for the love of all midgets, he's not a Munchkin in your Media Land..Go Browns!! hee-hee    

42 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Honest thought 🤔...So much was been made from the media all offseason about Baker Mayfield's size. Simply got tired of reading it..So instead of welcoming Baker to Munchkinland. As most scouts and Media did. I'd like to welcome them  to Bakers Land! 

Is that Baker on the left or right;).. Browns do have a  history and we did glorify some names..So will Baker be a Bust,be a Bust,be a Bust..in the Hall of Fame?.Stay tuned, it's only his  first preseason game ...but for the love of all midgets, he's not a Munchkin in your Media Land..Go Browns!! hee-hee    

Baker is only like 6’ and I saw no tipped passes.

The Giants backup QB Davis Webb is 6’5” and how many tipped passes did he have? 4? 5?

I like what I saw from Baker.. I wont call it perfect.. But mighty damn impressive... I'm anxious to see how the dynamics unfolds... I'm not ready to put him in Canton... But, I'm encouraged.. One day at a time as they say....

Brian Baldinger (NFL Channel) just RAVED about Baker which pleased me as I am (& always have been) a HUGE Baker Fan.

In addition to his obvious talent, his passion for the game & his competitive level are off the charts. Indeed, Baker Mayfield is a special player.

That being said, Tyrod may well start the regular season & I will support him fully, but I feel that, in Baker, our future QB has been secured.

Mike

26 minutes ago, nickers said:

I like what I saw from Baker.. I wont call it perfect.. But mighty damn impressive... I'm anxious to see how the dynamics unfolds... I'm not ready to put him in Canton... But, I'm encouraged.. One day at a time as they say....

I agree, he looked motivated or inspired or something, good combination of Taylor / Mayfield for now.

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Was that the QB that tried to make Mayfield his towel Bitch?

Baker's current towel bitch, an improvement.  :D

emily-wilkinson-6.png

16 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Baker is only like 6’ and I saw no tipped passes.

The Giants backup QB Davis Webb is 6’5” and how many tipped passes did he have? 4? 5?

The towel Webb'ster, would need a Safety Webb 6 foot 'everywhere' around his receivers..We even logged a 3 down, 15 second defensive stand..my Webb log reads..4 tips,6 sailed high(could have kill'd 2 wide outs),1 late in window,should have been picked.They gave Webb, 4 straight easy passes before half(playing prevent:() than he missed(overthrown) a wide open bucket in endzone..wet behind them big ears may need a turd-able towel..

Offense

- Interior Oline didn't look good trying to win leverage, move the line or at least turn their assignment to create a lane.    Part of that is due to the fact you're going up against the NFL's best Nose.     I would like too see a few zone/stretch runs sprinkled in sometime this pre-season.    I'd also like to see a few solid attempts at some creativity in opening lanes like the occasional trap/wham.  We'll see how this pre-season shakes out. 

- I like the sight adjustments on the backshoulder.  Make no mistake a couple of those were just that.  So TT showing trust early with Hollywood bodes well for this group.  His willingness to also give Landry a 1on1 shot against a pretty damn good DB in Janoris was a welcomed sign.    Perhaps he'll feel more comfortable with some of these weapons and Haley getting into his ear about attacking DB's in those man looks.   You have an OC that likes pushing the ball downfield on top of the quick hitters...  early returns are indicating those lessons are heard and applied.

- Speaking of new OC's (called it) Haley LOVES that bunch formation and we went to it often.   

- Didn't see much in the way (if any) of the PAP and designed rollouts for TT.     BUT, the mobility of both our QB's will help freeze backers provided when they create time they also keep their eyes downfield to take advantage of said time.  

- That 3rd & 18 conversion Baker had, while nicely done, is a sack in the regular season against first team defenders.   

- Like I said earlier, Chubbs initial stance appears way too upright.   Second viewing he doesn't run high, but looks like some first game jitters.  Pressing the hole too fast, not letting his lead setup.  Running into Corbett.  Sheet like that.    So far Dayes is my #2 back on this team and I'm hoping the coaching staff rolls with Hyde, Dayes, Chubb and Duke as the flex.  

- Bakers TD to Njoku...... 

- The Wheel is this primary.    Baker see's the LB sitting over top of it and Chubb isn't really THAT kind of receiving back.    Rookie QB comes off that read quickly - GREAT sign.

- Brings his eyes back to the middle where he see's Njoku break his route off.  

This was a great example of extending a play.  Baker is keeping his feet under him but moving just enough to keep the edge defenders guessing on if he is going to bail.    My only beef is ball placement.   That ball NEEDS to be higher.   I also don't think he saw the corner drop off his initial zone.   A good CB will get under that if not outright take it.     Your TE is 6'5.  Put that ball up, young blood.     

- Interior Dline held up nicely for the 1's and 2's.      The Gmen aren't that strong up front but they aren't the worst group either.  

- Good job opening blitz lanes on some of the designed calls.  The one with Kendricks ( I know it's spelled differently but I'm not bothering to look it up) being the most obvious

- Linebackers flew around laterally and attacked downhill early, rarely missing assignments.

- Nobody in the revamped secondary, including our rookie CB, looked out of place.  

- The creativity in showing pressures and getting home with 4 man looks while dropping ends was good to see.   Williams not afraid to switch things up and go away from tendencies.  Went with a double A gap blitz one 3rd down, then backed out of it the next looking to take Sterling Sheppard away from Eli.  

Nothing where I think this team is going to make the playoffs, but I do believe they'll be a far cry from how laughably bad they were last year.  

On 8/10/2018 at 10:53 AM, Canton Dawg said:

I wonder how long Pog has been a writer for the NY Post?

image.png.be7c4b93ca6cc0fb6a20f4efbd822172.png

You know PoG came in his pants... 😮

12 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Offense

- Interior Oline didn't look good trying to win leverage, move the line or at least turn their assignment to create a lane.    Part of that is due to the fact you're going up against the NFL's best Nose.     I would like too see a few zone/stretch runs sprinkled in sometime this pre-season.    I'd also like to see a few solid attempts at some creativity in opening lanes like the occasional trap/wham.  We'll see how this pre-season shakes out. 

- I like the sight adjustments on the backshoulder.  Make no mistake a couple of those were just that.  So TT showing trust early with Hollywood bodes well for this group.  His willingness to also give Landry a 1on1 shot against a pretty damn good DB in Janoris was a welcomed sign.    Perhaps he'll feel more comfortable with some of these weapons and Haley getting into his ear about attacking DB's in those man looks.   You have an OC that likes pushing the ball downfield on top of the quick hitters...  early returns are indicating those lessons are heard and applied.

- Speaking of new OC's (called it) Haley LOVES that bunch formation and we went to it often.   

- Didn't see much in the way (if any) of the PAP and designed rollouts for TT.     BUT, the mobility of both our QB's will help freeze backers provided when they create time they also keep their eyes downfield to take advantage of said time.  

- That 3rd & 18 conversion Baker had, while nicely done, is a sack in the regular season against first team defenders.   

- Like I said earlier, Chubbs initial stance appears way too upright.   Second viewing he doesn't run high, but looks like some first game jitters.  Pressing the hole too fast, not letting his lead setup.  Running into Corbett.  Sheet like that.    So far Dayes is my #2 back on this team and I'm hoping the coaching staff rolls with Hyde, Dayes, Chubb and Duke as the flex.  

- Bakers TD to Njoku...... 

- The Wheel is this primary.    Baker see's the LB sitting over top of it and Chubb isn't really THAT kind of receiving back.    Rookie QB comes off that read quickly - GREAT sign.

- Brings his eyes back to the middle where he see's Njoku break his route off.  

This was a great example of extending a play.  Baker is keeping his feet under him but moving just enough to keep the edge defenders guessing on if he is going to bail.    My only beef is ball placement.   That ball NEEDS to be higher.   I also don't think he saw the corner drop off his initial zone.   A good CB will get under that if not outright take it.     Your TE is 6'5.  Put that ball up, young blood.     

- Interior Dline held up nicely for the 1's and 2's.      The Gmen aren't that strong up front but they aren't the worst group either.  

- Good job opening blitz lanes on some of the designed calls.  The one with Kendricks ( I know it's spelled differently but I'm not bothering to look it up) being the most obvious

- Linebackers flew around laterally and attacked downhill early, rarely missing assignments.

- Nobody in the revamped secondary, including our rookie CB, looked out of place.  

- The creativity in showing pressures and getting home with 4 man looks while dropping ends was good to see.   Williams not afraid to switch things up and go away from tendencies.  Went with a double A gap blitz one 3rd down, then backed out of it the next looking to take Sterling Sheppard away from Eli.  

Nothing where I think this team is going to make the playoffs, but I do believe they'll be a far cry from how laughably bad they were last year.  

Nice job with that Tia - thanks!  One of the matchups I zeroed in on since Hernandez was the OG we didn't draft - was when Meder lined across from Hernandez.  Meder had the winning pad height a few times where he jolted Hernandez backward and won position when the Giants were trying to run the ball.  I'll go as far as saying I thought he Meder ragdolled Hernandez at least twice.  I'm going to watch it again tonight and adjust/add if necessary.

Archived