THE BROWNS BOARD

IT'S GAME DAY!!

TexasAg1969

54 minutes ago, syd said:

D sucked against the run didn't matter who was in

well i didnt watch the game so i dont know where the runs broke. I do know defenses arent interested much in stopping the run in preseason. Nobody wants to go down for the season in these meaningless scrimmages. Stopping the run is dirty trench work. I'll reserve my judgement on all this till sep 9th when it means somethin.

i will say losing danny gave me a bad feeling about this years run D. If he isnt adequately replaced, you'll see our lineman pinch in to shore up the middle.....and boom long runs will bounce outside. Usually teams build on core competencies

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, I got screwed. directv mistakenly blocked out the game in my area. They're going to hear about it. I deserve some compensation for this screw up. How long does it take for the geeks to unblock a channel to an area? Apparently, they just don't care anymore. 

The game was blocked out on NFL because it was on CBS locally

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Baker's every Throw/Run play in 5 minutes  

Tyrod Taylor=5 of 5=99 yards 1 TD....1 fumble on punt.....13 penalties minus -141 yards :((clean it up)   

Kizer who?  More accurate passes in one game than Deshone all year.... OK maybe hyperbole, but you get my drift....   

Just now, Flyin J said:

That is shitty

Problem is\was NFLN and Direct thought one of the local channels were going to pick up the Browns preseason games (they did last year). That didn't happen. I was pissed beyond belief....   I bumped it up to high level tech support- Direct even had the later Cowboys-49ers game blocked on NFLN. I politely asked them how in the hell was that an in-market game in SW Ohio? Fix the problem now- goobers.  

I think the Giants saw two new qb's, rearranged oline, etc.. and went to simply shut down the run. The giants defense

isn't a poor one. Last year - the Browns run defense was tenth, and the giants fourteenth.

The run game will come, when the Browns have more games with solid passing displays.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-run-defense-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018

I loved what I saw of Mayfield. Probably he didn't face 1st stringers, yes, but he threw out of bounds, ran and took risks when needed. Overall I'd say good decision making. 

I really liked both the sideline pass running right and the TD pass to Callaway, and the TD pass to Njoku is a play we need if we want to improve our Red zone offense: second read, near the middle between defenders. 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, I got screwed. directv mistakenly blocked out the game in my area. They're going to hear about it. I deserve some compensation for this screw up. How long does it take for the geeks to unblock a channel to an area? Apparently, they just don't care anymore. 

Bro

Next time go to Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/

I watch the games for free.They set up all the games 90 minutes prior to kick off. Every game was on there last night including the Browns. Some stream are better than others and you may need to try a few in the thread, but usually I can find a good one that does not buffer too much. I take a long USB cable and hook an old laptop to my TV.

Mayfield had nice pocket presence. Moved around and got out of trouble to buy more time. I only saw 2 wild passes that he threw because the blitz was coming. 1 play looked like a screen that blew up and he threw it away. All the other passes including incompletions were in the neighborhood. Mayfield looked in control. He has some Alex Smith in him picking up 1st downs with his rushing.

Its only a meaningless game, but nonetheless hopefully Callaway and Mayfield continue to look great.

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Um, nope- they showed the Bungles on channel 7....   

When did The Gem City switch to “Bengals territory”? I live on the north side of Cincy and pre-digital tv l used to catch Browns games on Dayton’s CBS with some creative rabbit ear adjusting. The picture was fuzzy but it beat watching the Bengals. 

Also, why is it called the Gem City? I never did figure that out.

14 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Ward misses tackle on Barkley and then gets a dumb penalty, seems about right.

I'm really worried about Ward.  He hit the receiver:

1)After he got the 1st down

2)Taunts him

They say he plays press coverage.  If he's going to hit the receivers after they get the 1st, then whats the point?  And that was the only play we saw him in because they took him out.  I say we should have drafted the Josh Jackson CB out of Iowa.  I know it's too late now, but unless Ward surprises me, I'll stick to that decision. 

4 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

2)Taunts him

They say he plays press coverage.  If he's going to hit the receivers after they get the 1st, then whats the point?  And that was the only play we saw him in because they took him out.  I say we should have drafted the Josh Jackson CB out of Iowa.  I know it's too late now, but unless Ward surprises me, I'll stick to that decision. 

Incorrect, he hit the receiver, broke up the pass, then taunted him.

Not a bad showing... going to watch again and do some OL grading Lite, but initial impressions included:

• Early lack off discipline on O and D... really? First play you make Lamar?
  • Not hard to see a new OC is in town. Really good mix of pass plays and lots of back-shoulder throws, and... holy Higgins Batman... we just may have more than one WR... but...
  • ... continued lack of run game is disturbing. Looked to be an OL issue.
  • Dayes flashed some late against scrubbs, but still was good to see him on the field.
  • I thought Njoku was having issues catching in camp? :)
  • We've got some hitters in our 2ndary... not sure how many will make team, but still good to see.
  • Otherwise hit-wise not a lot to crow about expecting Burgess who seemed to play a lot of the game.
  • Seems we have a competition at Punter.
  • Lot of deflections/ tips by our D... those will eventually produce INTs.
  • I think I watched into 4th Qtr before it dawned on me that we in fact played "stripeless". lol... Powers of observation are a wonderful thing!

Now the main event... QBs.

• First... but definitely least... Roback did not look out of place.
  • Second... and far more importantly... neither did Baker. Kid looked good. Not a hint of "height issues". A few errants, but mostly threw ball where his guy had the best,if not only, shot at catching it.
  • Taylor... 5 for 5... with a couple under duress. Pretty sharp, but... I still don't see him holding off Baker.

27 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

2)Taunts him

It’s kinda important to hit receivers after they get a first down. Otherwise they keep running and get a touchdown. 

There’s probably some football 101 sites out there to help with the basics of the game.

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

When did The Gem City switch to “Bengals territory”? I live on the north side of Cincy and pre-digital tv l used to catch Browns games on Dayton’s CBS with some creative rabbit ear adjusting. The picture was fuzzy but it beat watching the Bengals. 

Also, why is it called the Gem City? I never did figure that out.

It has to do with what the NFL now calls "market area". Loosley, the normal range of a TV station. Ergo, Dayton is considered part of the Cincinnati market area, Lima and Columbus are not. Back in the old pre satellite\ cable days, with a big enough antenna I could pull in Channel 35 out of Lima.

Sadly, that means if there's a conflict, the Bengals will always get preference over the Browns. :(That's why I got so honked off last night, there was NO conflict!!! Bengals on channel 7, Browns on NFLN. Regular season, Dayton will get both teams, assuming one is CBS (channel 7) and the other is FOX (channel 45). 

My tirade with D* isn't over yet. I saw our game against the Bills is a potential blackout. What's even more aggravating, some of my friends got the game last evening on cable. At least I'll see the game next Friday with no problem. I'm making the trip to Cleveland to see it live.

EDIT: For any of those of you who have had dealings with Direct of late- after getting routed to maroons who don't have a clue how to solve your problem (talk about frustrating) - 4th time was the charm, finally getting a guy who knew what happened. It was a communications screw up between the NFL and Direct what areas were going to be blacked out. So, lotsa luck trying to tell the NFL they messed up.  :) Next time, I'll check out reddit if this happens again.  

PS- as to why Dayton is called "The Gem City" it's not clear. Some historians think it may have to do with a 1838 letter praising the city as beautiful- like a gem.

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

It’s kinda important to hit receivers after they get a first down. Otherwise they keep running and get a touchdown. 

There’s probably some football 101 sites out there to help with the basics of the game.

dammit, I lol'd with a drink of orange powerade - ended up on my sleeve. dammit.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:13 AM, dawg2fan said:

2)Taunts him

Um inaccurate. The receiver dropped the ball because of the big hit (positive). Got called for taunting that gave them the first(negative easily fixed). On barkley's one big run both he and randall edit it was Kirksey not randall stood flat footed like each thought the other was going to attack lack of chemistry (negative). Strung out another run Barkley tried to bounce outside and tackled him for a one yard gain (positive). Had great coverage on a 2nd and 9 manning made a great throw receiver made a good catch (positive on coverage negative on locating a perfectly placed ball). On a 3rd and 10 threw underneath crossing route that came into wards zone and he stopped shephard dead in his tracks in open field short of the first (positive). Those are just the plays I recall him being involved in not including the plays he had good coverage and didn't get thrown at. If that's the only play you saw him in you weren't watching. Rewatch the first team defense please.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Not a bad showing... going to watch again and do some OL grading Lite, but initial impressions included:

• Early lack off discipline on O and D... really? First play you make Lamar?
  • Not hard to see a new OC is in town. Really good mix of pass plays and lots of back-shoulder throws, and... holy Higgins Batman... we just may have more than one WR... but...
  • ... continued lack of run game is disturbing. Looked to be an OL issue.
  • Dayes flashed some late against scrubbs, but still was good to see him on the field.
  • I thought Njoku was having issues catching in camp? :)
  • We've got some hitters in our 2ndary... not sure how many will make team, but still good to see.
  • Otherwise hit-wise not a lot to crow about expecting Burgess who seemed to play a lot of the game.
  • Seems we have a competition at Punter.
  • Lot of deflections/ tips by our D... those will eventually produce INTs.
  • I think I watched into 4th Qtr before it dawned on me that we in fact played "stripeless". lol... Powers of observation are a wonderful thing!

Now the main event... QBs.

• First... but definitely least... Roback did not look out of place.
  • Second... and far more importantly... neither did Baker. Kid looked good. Not a hint of "height issues". A few errants, but mostly threw ball where his guy had the best,if not only, shot at catching it.
  • Taylor... 5 for 5... with a couple under duress. Pretty sharp, but... I still don't see him holding off Baker.

I  thought the run game looked to be an O line issue as well. Didn’t see a lot of openings. QB situation could be interesting. Good to see a little depth at the position possibly. For once. 

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

I  thought the run game looked to be an O line issue as well. Didn’t see a lot of openings. QB situation could be interesting. Good to see a little depth at the position possibly. For once. 

I was going to quote him as well with the same observation. No holes on running plays.

5 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Um inaccurate. The receiver dropped the ball because of the big hit (positive). Got called for taunting that gave them the first(negative easily fixed). On barkley's one big run both he and randall stood flat footed like each thought the other was going to attack lack of chemistry (negative). Strung out another run Barkley tried to bounce outside and tackled him for a one yard gain (positive). Had great coverage on a 2nd and 9 manning made a great throw receiver made a good catch (positive on coverage negative on locating a perfectly placed ball). On a 3rd and 10 threw underneath crossing route that came into wards zone and he stopped shephard dead in his tracks in open field short of the first (positive). Those are just the plays I recall him being involved in not including the plays he had good coverage and didn't get thrown at. If that's the only play you saw him in you weren't watching. Rewatch the first team defense please.

In the game I watched I was reminded of another #21 who didn’t have a bad career. 

Didnt much mind the late hit. Dude was making a statement. Don’t see it happening In the regular season. 

I don’t see anyone saying anything Peppers. 

What’s your take. 

13 minutes ago, alporcini said:

In the game I watched I was reminded of another #21 who didn’t have a bad career. 

Didnt much mind the late hit. Dude was making a statement. Don’t see it happening In the regular season. 

I don’t see anyone saying anything Peppers. 

What’s your take. 

He was still lined up 20 yards off the ball. He came down close to the line once or twice and made a play on a run in one of those instances. I hope we move him closer to in the box but we shall see.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

We've got some hitters in our 2ndary... not sure how many will make team, but still good to see

x-bengal FS Derron Smith made some classic knocks..Lead all DB's with 3 solid tackles, interested to see if they move him up behind Randall?

Archived