THE BROWNS BOARD

Callaway Cited for Marijuana Possession

Comeonman

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’m betting he got popped at a roundabout. Not everyone knows how to navigate those things and there’s a crap ton of ‘em up that way.

Random musings l’m seeing from not very credible sources on the interwebs seem to indicate that even if he tested positive it will elevate him to stage 2, but apparently stage 3 is where suspensions come in. 

So it very well may be true that the suspended license will be the more serious issue for him. He’s clearly on the fast track though. Perhaps a record for quickest ascension to stage 2 for an NFL player. Goals.

The suspended license IS the more serious offense for him.......as it relates to his issues before the court of law.

But his real issues have NOTHING to do with the court of law....but with the terms of his employment as a NFL player.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Where did you hear that?    Or did you mean to add an "if" to your question?

Word coming out is that he had gun parts and ammo as well.  

The kid was a mess coming out from UF and only hung around people of the same caliber.   

Supposedly he had gun parts and ammo in the car also.    -  He's just misunderstood.

I heard that the officer said that he was cooperative and polite and that he knew he was a Browns player and didn't want to have to cite him.....but he had to.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Before coming to the Browns, Antonio's name is attached to..

- Fraud

- Sexual Battery

- Two possession counts while  in school

- Failing a test while at the combine

I don't believe the phrase second chance is accurate. 

I wonder if the CFL would even take him. Probably not.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Supposedly he had gun parts and ammo in the car also.    -  He's just misunderstood.

I heard that the officer said that he was cooperative and polite and that he knew he was a Browns player and didn't want to have to cite him.....but he had to.

Oh sweet baby Jesus, this reminds me of when Gerard "Big Money Wasted" got popped in Pittsburgh by the police and Carmen Policy told the world that the police told him that a nicer person ever arrested cannot be found, anywhere. 🤣

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh sweet baby Jesus, this reminds me of when Gerard "Big Money Wasted" got popped in Pittsburgh by the police and Carmen Policy told the world that the police told him that a nicer person ever arrested cannot be found, anywhere. 🤣

I'm assuming the cop was a Browns fan.....and knew that this was NOT gonna be helping his pathetic football team.   

56 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm assuming the cop was a Browns fan.....and knew that this was NOT gonna be helping his pathetic football team.   

That cop was definitely a Browns fan. I watched the clip Gumby posted, and l’m pretty sure if that guy didn’t have a partner we wouldn’t even be talking about this. 

Which honestly wouldn’t be a good thing. When you’re in a position of authority there’s a time to be friendly and times you gotta be an àsshole. Hue Jackson could learn a thing or two from that guy’s partner.

so, let me get this straight. Calloway had his car shipped to him. It got in, and whoever shipped it to him..

uncle? left pot, gun parts in the car.

THEN, under a suspended license, Calloway goes to get the car and drive it back home. On a suspended license.

He can't just have it freaking towed home? He just got that signing bonus?

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

so, let me get this straight. Calloway had his car shipped to him. It got in, and whoever shipped it to him..

THEN, under a suspended license, Calloway goes to get the car and drive it back home. On a suspended license.

Classic boy who cried wolf, that's for sure. If the dude was squeaky clean I could buy that rationale (to a point). With his background though, ain't buying it for a second.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:34 PM, Zombo said:

Absolutely.

Fourth round pick had pot in his car. Oh no!

But he's excelling on the field, looks like a steal ... But he had pot in his car! Sky falling!

Love our receivers, let's play ball.

Z

wtf has he done to 'excel on the field at this point'?   Jesus christ......

Honestly... This might not be that big of a deal if he doesn't piss hot..

It's only a misdemeanor.. Now the driving under suspension could warrant a harsher penalty.. but we will see...

Under the circumstances, I bet Callaway gets fined 3 games without pay if his tests come back negative..

5 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

wtf has he done to 'excel on the field at this point'?   Jesus christ......

Rose to the top of the depth chart, made Corey Coleman expendable, are you not paying attention or just playing dumb?

Zombo

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Yea,  its all bad.  These "my dog ate my homework" excuses don't work in my experience.

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, he claims that he thought the license situation had been straightened out.

It's right out of the Josh Gordon Playbook Of Excuses.  

Trust me, as a court magistrate.....that Playbook was written long before Josh Gordon came along.

2 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

Honestly... This might not be that big of a deal if he doesn't piss hot..

It's only a misdemeanor.. Now the driving under suspension could warrant a harsher penalty.. but we will see...

Under the circumstances, I bet Callaway gets fined 3 games without pay if his tests come back negative..

I don't believe that the NFL hands out discipline for offenses like  Driving Under Suspension.    They care about the Minor Misdemeanor (the 150 fine max charge)  over the 1st degree Misdemeanor (the 6 month in jail  1000 fine max charge)

Hell....they care more about the dope charge than they do about the fact that the dude was carrying around a lethal weapon: a gun and ammo, apparently

Sometimes they really have their priorities skewed over draconian matters like dope, or they try to be OH SO politically correct.  They are not however, as often misguided as college football sometimes.   (Why does John Harbaugh still have a job?  He had a player commit domestic violence!)

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I don't believe that the NFL hands out discipline for offenses like  Driving Under Suspension.    They care about the Minor Misdemeanor (the 150 fine max charge)  over the 1st degree Misdemeanor (the 6 month in jail  1000 fine max charge)

Sometimes they really have their priorities skewed over draconian matters like dope, or they try to be OH SO politically correct.  They are not however, as often misguided as college football sometimes.   (Why does John Harbaugh still have a job?  He had a player commit domestic violence!)

Do you think he gets suspended Gip?

7 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

I don't know where he stands in the protocol....or actually what the specific rules there are, but it would not surprise me. 

But....the hilarious part, as I alluded to above, is that he would get suspended for the least onerous of his offenses.  Not the DUS, not possibly the concealed weapon  (though I don't know that that is what he would be charged with).  The NFL has it priorities screwed up quite a bit.

3 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

No matter what Roger thinks (unless he's popped on a drug test) Callaway should appeal any suspension. I cannot compare a single player suspended that fits Calloway..A) Already stage 1 due to combine fail..B)trace of dope under car mat that he can prove was transfer'd from fla. is there dna that say's it's his? C) Gun? he had No Gun..he had a holder,scattered gun parts & bullets in cup holder..D) Have we ever seen a player suspended games for a Suspended license charge? good luck to judge Judy Roger Wapner on this one.. 

7 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

No matter what Roger thinks (unless he's popped on a drug test) Callaway should appeal any suspension. I cannot compare a single player suspended that fits Calloway..A) Already stage 1 due to combine fail..B)trace of dope under car mat that he can prove was transfer'd from fla. is there dna that say's it's his? C) Gun? he had No Gun..he had a holder,scattered gun parts & bullets in cup holder..D) Have we ever seen a player suspended games for a Suspended license charge? good luck to judge Judy Roger Wapner on this one.. 

There is nothing to suspend him for.

Zombo

Punishment

Ohio imposes the following penalties for violations of its weapons laws:

• Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit is, in most cases, a first degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. For more information on sentencing, see Ohio Misdemeanor Crimes by Class and Sentences andOhio Felony Crimes by Class and Sentences.
  • Providing a gun to a child and possession of a weapon in a school safety zone are fifth degree felonies, punishable by six to 12 months in prison and a fine of up to $2,500. Subsequent convictions are punished more severely.
  • Possession of a fake gun is a first degree misdemeanor.
  • Possession of a firearm or explosive by a convicted or indicted felon is a felony of the third degree, punishable by nine months to five years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
  • Possession of a prohibited weapon is a fifth degree felony.
  • Possession of a firearm in a bar is a felony of the fifth degree if the weapon is openly carried, and a third degree felony if the weapon is concealed.
  • Using or carrying a weapon while intoxicated is a first degree misdemeanor.
  • Defacing a firearm and possession of a defaced firearm are also first degree misdemeanors. Subsequent convictions are punished more severely.

There seems to be a lot of legal nuance to Callaway's legal situation:

Did anyone see the reason his license was allegedly under suspension?    There are multiple reasons for that offense ,  some bad  such that  you will be entering a greater world of pain (see what I did there) if you did that....like being suspended for a DUI, and blatantly driving in spite of it.   Or you can just have some non compliance with some regulatory thing:   like not having paid a reinstatement fee or the like.  Almost universally if it is  a regulatory suspension that can be corrected fairly easily a court will allow you to accomplish that and give you a vastly reduced charge, such as a No O.L.  (no points, no additional suspension....a small fine).  

B. Some reports are that he had a gun and ammo.  Others that he had like just parts of a gun.   Several questions exist here:  Are "parts" of a gun considered a weapon at all?   If it is a weapon, was where it was?  Can that location considered to be concealed or in the open?  If concealed, did he have a conceal carry permit?  (let's assume he does not, not here in OH). 

C. He is more dead to right on the MJ possession charge.   The "it must have been put in my care when it was shipped" excuse will not likely  fly. (Also,  does "possession"  even require mens rea?  Possession may actually be a strict liability offense.  By that I mean does there have to be intent for someone to be guilty of a crime.  E.g:  If you are caught going 52 in a 35 there is no "I didn't intend to go that fast"  defense.   Whereas there is a "I didn't intend to killl that person" defense.   There is no "I did not intend to possess that dope" defense.    Now there may be an actual "I did Not possess that dope defense"...i.e.  I am not the one that put the material in my range of reach, and/or I did not even know it was there.  That appears, perhaps to be Callaway's planned defense.    But the success of that, in my view, is a long shot.....unless you really have some evidence, or someone else step forward to claim responsibility for the dope...and yes, that does happen.

Archived