THE BROWNS BOARD

Callaway Cited for Marijuana Possession

Comeonman

Callaway is going to be a really good football player. 

Compares to Antonio Brown. 

Gordon, Landry, Callaway and Coleman... that's a group with a lot to prove and a really big collective chip on their shoulders. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Callaway is going to be a really good football player. 

Compares to Antonio Brown. 

Gordon, Landry, Callaway and Coleman... that's a group with a lot to prove and a really big collective chip on their shoulders. 

Let's certainly hope so.  But with 3 question mark players, odds are one of them is going to fall into the abyss.  But let's hope we are lucky and that does not happen.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:29 AM, Zombo said:

I think this is going to be a great pick, saw an interview with the kid yesterday, he seemed soft spoken and ready to put the past behind him. Grew up in rough part of Miami, single Mom ... that whole deal ... but never got into trouble until he got to college. The sexual assault count did not stick. Apparantly he smoked a lot of weed in college and used a stolen credit card to set up an account at the book store. I don't see anything he can't grow out of ... seems like an angel compared to Randy Moss at that age.

I see him as our 4th receiver, our home run hitter off the bench this year and starting punt and kick returner. Could be Gordons replacement as the #1 down the road.

Zombo

Well said!  He also seems like an angel compared to a lot of politicians voted into office today. 

Not for nothing, but I'm way past sick and tired of watching nice guys finish last in an AFC North loaded with alphas and asssholes.   Trust me, the cub scout route hasn't been working. We could use a few more asssholes on this team (as long as they prepare like professionals). 

Yours Truly,

I.M. Sickasucky (the Dumbasss formerly known as Flugel)

• 1 month later...

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/06/cleveland-browns-film-room-antonio-callaway-strengths/   just can't see how C.Coleman is keeping a starting WR position over Cab..think joe haden has got any taller or faster Todd Haley?  

25 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Showing college strengths doesn't explain why Callaway is better than Corey Coleman.  It's almost like you've forgetten Corey won the Biletnikoff..

did you see the routes Cory ran at Baylor? Calloway not slowing at cuts blows Cory away..sorry Fred but, them's NFL routes!

Loong way to go yet.

First, our three thug receivers have to get to training camp without being busted, jailed, or failed.

Then they have to know the playbook and show that they can do the NFL job.

So, let's say they all have pretty good camps.  Where do ya line 'em up?  Landry, Gordon, Callaway & Coeman

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Loong way to go yet.

First, our three thug receivers have to get to training camp without being busted, jailed, or failed.

Then they have to know the playbook and show that they can do the NFL job.

So, let's say they all have pretty good camps.  Where do ya line 'em up?  Landry, Gordon, Callaway & Coeman

Gordon ain't no thug. Drinking and smoking does not make one a thug.

Two thugs, thank you.

Zombo

4 hours ago, syd said:

I get Calloway as thug status so who is the other thug wr ?

Coleman and his gang beat up a guy.

Our Three Thug Set.....Gordon, Callaway and Coleman in the slot.

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

Coleman, much like Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse, is a cooler. That’s what coolers do, beat people up. Didn’t you see Roadhouse? Geez...

9 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Coleman, much like Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse, is a cooler. That’s what coolers do, beat people up. Didn’t you see Roadhouse? Geez...

I actually liked Sam Elliott's character better, but he died. Interesting fictional movie.

56 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I actually liked Sam Elliott's character better, but he died. Interesting fictional movie.

It's no "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" but for a Swayze flick it isn't half bad... 😂

Roadhouse is one of the finest movies of my childhood. Fighting, drinking, and titties. And Swayze. 

Anyways, I'm extremely excited to see this kid, but I'm already concerned, and not by his well-documented past, but by his soft tissue injury. In my experience, those just NEVER go away. These little, speedy, turbocharged skill players just pull something or tweak something, and they're forever dinged up. Callaway tweaked something like day 2, and we never saw him again. That was CRUCIAL time he didn't get with his QB and coaches, and to be honest, Corey Coleman should buy Callaway a car because Corey got to receive all the practice reps without worrying about anyone nipping on his heels. While super brief, Callaway's early impression was favorable, and he looked somewhat raw, but he also appeared fast and smooth. Like, really fast, and really dangerous. I was NOT pleased to see him go down, and I'm already worried about his soft tissue health. However, the silver lining is that Corey got more work in, and by all accounts, has performed well. Not spectacular, but well. Corey doesn't have to be spectacular. He merely needs to be healthy and catch the ball. And he'll be open frequently due to the attention paid to Gordon and Landry. Corey also needs to work on using his HANDS more to catch rather than his body. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Anyways, I'm extremely excited to see this kid, but I'm already concerned, and not by his well-documented past, but by his soft tissue injury. In my experience, those just NEVER go away. These little, speedy, turbocharged skill players just pull something or tweak something, and they're forever dinged up. Callaway tweaked something like day 2, and we never saw him again. That was CRUCIAL time he didn't get with his QB and coaches, and to be honest 

Same concern I have here.Calloway played 26 games with his last real padded contact 1-2-17 in a bowl game Iowa. Started with a foot tweak in OTA's that compensated into a hammy pull later. Getting Cab on the field week 1 *un-tweaked* could make the ST play needed.  

While it doesn't yet include Callaway, here is an interesting site regarding injuries...

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/nfl-injury-news/the-sip-database--the-fuel-that-gets-us-where-we-want-to-go/

Mike

I don't know why, but I'm not afraid of character/legal concerns. I have basically nothing to base this on, other than Callaway having a daughter and being surrounded by forward-thinking franchise who support their players. Granted, Josh Gordon would've been immediately cut years ago if he wasn't an otherworldly freak, but still...we stood by that guy. We embraced his addiction, his disease, and in the process, showed the sporting world what support and treatment can do for a man. Granted, Josh still has a lot to do, but suffice to say he's in shape and I see no reason why he can't be a 1000 yard receiver again. 

If Calloway puts the work in, he too can be the beneficiary of this football family. In fact, there probably wasn't a better team and atmosphere for Callaway to go to. We take people with histories, and it's paid off already. Caleb Brantley is another guy with near 1st round talent that we got on the cheap. Callaway may be the best wide receiver in this entire draft. Think I'm crazy? You shouldn't. Is he extremely raw? Yep. Heck, he didn't even PLAY last year because he was such an asshat, but also know he played at Florida, and they were an unmitigated crap-storm on offense. I mean, a forward pass that went for 7 yards would cause those rednecks to stand up and freak out with excitement. Florida has been TERRIBLE, especially in the passing game. 

Callaway simply has "the look". He looks faster than everyone. He looks incredibly smooth. Want proof? Check out that video when he catches that bomb against our 1st round pick Ward for the easy touchdown. Yes, I realize Ward may have been dinged up with a muscle injury, but it gives you an idea of what this guy can do. Ward is renowned for his ability to catch up to people. He did NOT, however, catch up to Callaway. 

This is merely one play, but for the short time people got to watch Callaway, he was definitely noticeable. Even the other receivers have taken note. As I've said before, this is without a doubt the biggest, most important 6 weeks of Josh Gordon's life, and it is probably the same for Callaway. Callaway is in Stage 1 of the NFL substance abuse policy for providing a diluted urine sample. This isn't GOOD, but it's also not a death knell. I could be mistaken, but I believe he's eligible to exit the program after 1 year of no issues. No problem. 

Callaway will likely get playing time early, and if he shows up early and healthy, then Corey Coleman could be out of the job. Additionally, Callaway is electric as a punt returner, which gives him added value (move over, Jabril). Do not be surprised to see Callaway blow up during both camp and preseason. Again, his soft muscle injuries scare me, but other than that, I don't worry about his off-field issues. I think he is done with that garbage. It's time to go to work. 

On 6/22/2018 at 6:59 PM, Orion said:

Wow, sounds like something from The Longest Yard, all they need now is someone to play Caretaker and Burt Reynolds.   :lol:

42 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

As long as they hussle on the field and catch a ball .

Of course...that's what really matters to the chains and the scoreboard.

Pro football pretty much started as a game for rogues and thug type guys.  For the longest time one looked for DLinemen and LBackers that were slightly off top dead center (ok...half crazy).  Now however, it's the Politically Correct Century.  And football players are expected to be humanitarians.  Look at the flack we took for drafting Callaway.  

In the long run, it's for the better.  We're teaching perspective football players that if you want to play in the NFL then you're going to have to be a descent person...which, in reality is a good thing.  We're in kind of a transition period where player safety and player integrity are coming more to the forefront.  In the grand scheme of things, it's a good thing.  During this transition, football players have to adopt the Possum Lodge motto:     I'm a man (football player), And I can change, If I have to, I guess.  :)

• 1 month later...

Archived