Comeonman

Callaway Cited for Marijuana Possession

7 hours ago, VikingDawg said:

What a Shmucking joke. Awesome another drug addict who happens to have multiple felonies and was accused of rape. Dorsey you are a Shmucking joke. 

Whatever- bitch on... Tim Tebow is a churchgoing lad who unfortunately couldn't play football at the NFL level very well...  

7 hours ago, darren15 said:

Tyreek Hill was trouble too ....Dorsey took him in round 5 and look what happened

Beat me to it- not like Dosey doesn't have a history of take a chance on character concern players. 

11 hours ago, cambridgeho said:

Maybe the FO think Josh can mentor him alittle, who knows. Its boom or bust for him. 

Oh yeah "Cheech & Chong".  :lol:

But when youre coming off a 1-31 run maybe it's a what the hell situation......well as long as you don't lose them both now that wouldn't be good.

i-knew-it-it-was-too-good-to-be-true.jpg

12 hours ago, hx214 said:

Oh no! We could have drafted a sweet back up special teams player on the youngest team in the NFL! WTF was Dorsey smoking taking a flyer that means nothing on a high ceiling 21 year old kid... 

Uhh yeah, let's pretend that's "all" that it is. Lets just pretend Dumbassey didn't waste the #1 overall on Drunkard Mayfield and his endless red flags. Or that that this Sheet show of a draft isn't peppered with low character players from #1 overall all the way to the end of the draft. 

When you suck butt, have no identity and want to improve? You don't draft guys with criminal records and bad character. You draft high character players who AREN'T drunks, drug addicts or criminals. It is really not that hard to grasp. 

4 minutes ago, VikingDawg said:

Uhh yeah, let's pretend that's "all" that it is. Lets just pretend Dumbassey didn't waste the #1 overall on Drunkard Mayfield and his endless red flags. Or that that this Sheet show of a draft isn't peppered with low character players from #1 overall all the way to the end of the draft. 

When you suck butt, have no identity and want to improve? You don't draft guys with criminal records and bad character. You draft high character players who AREN'T drunks, drug addicts or criminals. It is really not that hard to grasp. 

I"m all about character, but since most real late round picks won't make the team, well, I can see taking a chance on a kid if he

seems to have turned himself around. With the qb who loved the booze all through college? no work ethic? nah.

2 hours ago, VikingDawg said:

Burfict is the biggest piece of sh it this side of the Mississippi. And I still wish like hell the Browns would have thrown a 4th round or later pick at him... dude is the meanest linebacker/competitor in the league. You think anybody wants to play that dude once a year let alone twice?  This is America big dog. Scumbags win all the time. Christ..... look at the President. Zing!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I"m all about character, but since most real late round picks won't make the team, well, I can see taking a chance on a kid if he

seems to have turned himself around. With the qb who loved the booze all through college? no work ethic? nah.

He failed the Shmucking combine drug test, that's not even close to "turning himself around." Whatever you gotta do to rationalize the Brown's drafting pieces of Sheet I guess. 

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm all about character

I bet you typed this with a straight face. 

51 minutes ago, VikingDawg said:

He failed the Shmucking combine drug test, that's not even close to "turning himself around." Whatever you gotta do to rationalize the Brown's drafting pieces of Sheet I guess. 

I will give you this, the comment that we did extensive background checks that made us comfortable with the pick does clash significantly with the fact he failed the Combine test. The reality is they believe they can get him under control. If they do they scored a first round talent and we have a top 3 receiving corp. If they don't we flush a 4th rounder. not a lot of risk there

a few thoughts:

- a 4th round pick(more specifically #105) is not a 6th or 7th round pick.  It's also not a 2nd round pick...but lets not act like it has no value at all.

-all this "calloway is a first round talent" really means he *might* be a first round talent.  there were only 2 wide recievers drafted in the first round this year.  Calloway missed the ENTIRE year last year, but going into last year I dont know anyone who considered calloway one of the best couple of recievers in college football.  Maybe he would have had a huge year for florida and actually been a first round grade based on talent, but that was far from a sure thing.

-Calloway has more than your typical character issues.  failing the drug test at the combine when everyone knew him as a major character problem guy going in was just the cherry on top.

• Upvote 1

He was 15 on McShays board at the start of the season.....14 on Kipers and 17 on Mayocks ....

27 minutes ago, darren15 said:

He was 15 on McShays board at the start of the season.....14 on Kipers and 17 on Mayocks ....

There are the facts Taco

1 hour ago, Tacosman said:

a few thoughts:

- a 4th round pick(more specifically #105) is not a 6th or 7th round pick.  It's also not a 2nd round pick...but lets not act like it has no value at all.

-all this "calloway is a first round talent" really means he *might* be a first round talent.  there were only 2 wide recievers drafted in the first round this year.  Calloway missed the ENTIRE year last year, but going into last year I dont know anyone who considered calloway one of the best couple of recievers in college football.  Maybe he would have had a huge year for florida and actually been a first round grade based on talent, but that was far from a sure thing.

-Calloway has more than your typical character issues.  failing the drug test at the combine when everyone knew him as a major character problem guy going in was just the cherry on top.

This current roster basically makes a 4th rounder to the Browns a 6th or 7th to any other team. The youth filled roster the browns have leaves little time to evaluate a 4th or later pick to see if he is better than the sophomore player in front of him. You swing for the fences and hope you connect with one. If not, you flush him and keep the young player you already had anyway.

(On a side note....draft picks are so over rated it’s not even funny. I’d trade every 3rd round or later pick for a proven starter any day of the week.)

I forgot there are ignore features on this forum. If everyone could stop quoting Viking, I won’t have to ever see his posts again. Thanks

On 4/28/2018 at 5:40 PM, darren15 said:

Dorsey said talent wise the best WR in the draft .....

Dorsey also says "We are surrounded by coaches & staff that can mentor his off the field issues" Who & Where do these people reside in a NFL Clubhouse? Is there a sign on the door? This new WR coach Adam Henry must be on a higher cloud than QB Jesus..

18 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

There are the facts Taco

the facts are the guy missed the entire year.  We don't know where he woud have come out.

He's smaller than ridley and not as polished a route runner.  Obviously not as accomplished. No reason to think, even if he didnt have tremendous character concerns, he would have been drafted right with ridley.  And ridley barely fit in the end of the first round.

1 minute ago, gumby73 said:

Dorsey also says "We are surrounded by coaches & staff that can mentor his off the field issues" Who & Where do these people reside in a NFL Clubhouse? Is there a sign on the door? This new WR coach Smith must be on a higher cloud than QB Jesus..

calloway's character issues extend to more than just off the field.  He's a bad apple

12 hours ago, darren15 said:

And.....that is without even having played in 2017, no?

11 hours ago, Tacosman said:

calloway's character issues extend to more than just off the field.  He's a bad apple

Lets put it this way:    Look at the number of former first round Browns draft picks on this roster?   Only like Coleman.....and the three from last year are still on this team.   

So....the Browns first round draft pick failures have been epic.

If this guy....a 4th rounder, fails.....it will not come anywhere near to being "epic".  It would only be a footnote on a single page.

And meanwhile on the bench Mayfield spends extra time with Ratley both learning all about NFL route trees together on the 2nd/3rd O team. One of the reasons JM had such a connection with Evans is that they both spent a year together on the scout team as redshirts developing a special connection you could not duplicate had either not redshirted.

18 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I will give you this, the comment that we did extensive background checks that made us comfortable with the pick does clash significantly with the fact he failed the Combine test. The reality is they believe they can get him under control.

It does bear reminding that the failure was a diluted sample failure same as Peppers last season and not a "Substance X Threshold" failure.

That said, unlike Peppers, there's a lot more baggage with this kid... a lot more...

• Upvote 1

Antonio Brown has 'special affinity' for kids from Miami, will mentor Browns' Antonio Callaway

Antonio Callaway was widely considered one of the most talented wide receivers in the 2018 NFL Draft. There was, however, never an expectation that he'd be picked as early as his talent would suggest, because he's had so many issues off the field. 

Callaway was suspended by the University of Florida for allegedly using stolen credit card information to fund bookstore accounts. He was investigated for sexual assault. (A Title IX hearing officer cleared him of the allegations.) He was cited with misdemeanor marijuana possession, and he failed a drug test at the combine with what he says was a diluted sample. 

Now that he's in the league, Callaway has a new mentor in one of his rivals: Steelerswide receiver Antonio Brown. Brown even attended Callaway's draft day party. 

The new Browns wideout is from the same South Florida area as Brown, and Callaway's agent says that's what inspired the connection. "He has a special affinity for the kids that are from here," Malki Kawa told ESPN.com. "He's showing him not only what it takes to be a pro, but be one of the best."

In turn, Callaway is trying to show Brown some stuff, too. "[Callaway] is trying to show Antonio that there's a difference in him," Kawa said. "And all the kids [Brown] talks to, he can tell them he was a troubled guy, too -- 'I've had my struggles, but look what I'm doing, look how my life has changed for the better, the fruits of my labor.' He shows young players this is attainable, this is reachable."

Only time will tell if the Browns' investment in Callaway proves worthwhile, but having Brown in his corner can probably only help his chances.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-has-special-affinity-for-kids-from-miami-will-mentor-browns-antonio-callaway/

• Upvote 1

Does this mean we are going to have to like a Steeler?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Does this mean we are going to have to like a Steeler?

I never disliked Antonio Brown.  A 6th rounder who became arguably the best WR in the league?

I just never liked the fact that he killed us constantly.....and that the Browns deployed  either useless players or useless schemes to try to deal with him.

( I don't know that we actually personally dislike any Steeler player...well...maybe BR and James HGHarrison.....we just hate the fact that they wear that uniform).  We now have a couple of former Steelers on the Browns, don't we?   Hubbard?  Anyone else?

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2018 at 10:20 AM, The Gipper said:

Lets put it this way:    Look at the number of former first round Browns draft picks on this roster?   Only like Coleman.....and the three from last year are still on this team.   

So....the Browns first round draft pick failures have been epic.

If this guy....a 4th rounder, fails.....it will not come anywhere near to being "epic".  It would only be a footnote on a single page.

Beau Bell anyone? Did remember he was our 4th round pick. Still playing in the Arena League. :)

All we have to do is keep Callaway and Gordon clean until after the new CBA  is agreed on. Most assuredly after that one they will be able to blaze away lol. I think Dorsey may be banking on this. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

All we have to do is keep Callaway and Gordon clean until after the new CBA  is agreed on. Most assuredly after that one they will be able to blaze away lol. I think Dorsey may be banking on this. 

Might want to keep Callaway away from credit cards... and women.... and known criminals too....:lol: