THE BROWNS BOARD

OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread

Tour2ma

Todd Haley: Whatever decisions Hue Jackson makes, I’m 100 percent behind him

Posted by Charean Williams on August 15, 2018, 3:09 PM EDT
ap_18156644797176-e1528994560728.jpg?w=5
AP

Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley downplayed an exchange with head coach Hue Jackson on the first episode of Hard Knocks.

In a meeting of the coaches shown in the show’s premiere, Haley challenged Jackson for giving veterans’ days off during training camp. Haley was more forceful than running backs coach Freddie Kitchens was in initially disagreeing with resting veterans.  Jackson replies that it’s his team and his way.

Haley said Wednesday he thought it was a healthy exchange, reiterating Jackson’s take on what to viewers seemed an awkward scene.

“The great thing about here is coach Jackson gives us assistant coaches the opportunity to speak our opinion,” Haley said, via quotes distributed by the team. “Ultimately, it is his decision of what he wants to do, and I will 100 percent support it. It is not always the case where assistants get to voice and opinion or thoughts. Some of them he is going to take. Some of them he is not. Whatever decision is made, I am 100 percent behind.”

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2018 at 11:06 AM, mjp28 said:

For the whole season of HARD KNOCKS see the link:

https://www.hbo.com/schedule-search-results?seriesIds=PMRS7264

I haven't seen the ratings yet but I'd be willing to bet they are pretty good......we'll see on that.

.......oh can't get enough of the CLEVELAND BROWNS  want every episode 2 viewing?

Available Wed, Aug 15 On Demand
Television
  • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO
  • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • Wed, Aug 152:45 am ETHBO2
  • Wed, Aug 156:30 pm ETHBO
  • Wed, Aug 157:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • Wed, Aug 1510:30 pm ETHBO2
  • Wed, Aug 1511:40 pm ETHBO
  • Thu, Aug 1612:50 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO
  • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • Fri, Aug 174:20 am ETHBO
  • Fri, Aug 174:20 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Fri, Aug 174:15 pm ETHBO
  • Fri, Aug 174:15 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • Sat, Aug 183:00 am ETHBO
  • Sat, Aug 183:00 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Sun, Aug 192:45 am ETHBO2
  • Sun, Aug 1910:00 am ETHBO
  • Sun, Aug 1910:00 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Tue, Aug 214:20 am ETHBO
  • Tue, Aug 214:20 am ETHBO LATINO
  • Tue, Aug 218:00 pm ETHBO2
  • Wed, Aug 229:00 pm ETHBO2
  • Sat, Sep 081:45 pm ETHBO
  • Sat, Sep 081:45 pm ETHBO LATINO

Have HBO and don't want to mess around with that streaming stuff to watch reruns......

4 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Hue made some dumb game time management calls for sure. ................... Could another coach have pulled one win out of his butt? maybe but WTF difference would that make. 

I shortened your post to highlight a couple of points.

...and the 'difference' be if we had a half decent team....that needed a couple more wins to make the playoffs....but our HC makes dumb in game decisions.

I still don't think Hue is a good head coach, but he is a good man. He just doesn't seem to have the kind of edge these lazy kids need to play hard. Maybe some of the playmakers will inspire that spirit.

Preseason doesn't tell a lot, but one thing nobody can deny, Baker has a very, very quick release, and seemingly a radar-like scan of the field. Ghoolie like him originally, but then went off for one of the tall guys, but so far, it looks like for the first time since 1998, we made the right #1 pick. I still think Garrett is a homosexual, sissy-boy, penis kissing fairy. Don't think he has any instinct other than to survive and leave Cleveland. He is, a Bengal Tiger with no teeth.

Perhaps Josh Gordon's return will spark some added energy in the players? Sorry, but the majority of them just seem to be going through the motions.

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

Todd Haley: Whatever decisions Hue Jackson makes, I’m 100 percent behind him

Posted by Charean Williams on August 15, 2018, 3:09 PM EDT
ap_18156644797176-e1528994560728.jpg?w=5
AP

Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley downplayed an exchange with head coach Hue Jackson on the first episode of Hard Knocks.

In a meeting of the coaches shown in the show’s premiere, Haley challenged Jackson for giving veterans’ days off during training camp. Haley was more forceful than running backs coach Freddie Kitchens was in initially disagreeing with resting veterans.  Jackson replies that it’s his team and his way.

Haley said Wednesday he thought it was a healthy exchange, reiterating Jackson’s take on what to viewers seemed an awkward scene.

“The great thing about here is coach Jackson gives us assistant coaches the opportunity to speak our opinion,” Haley said, via quotes distributed by the team. “Ultimately, it is his decision of what he wants to do, and I will 100 percent support it. It is not always the case where assistants get to voice and opinion or thoughts. Some of them he is going to take. Some of them he is not. Whatever decision is made, I am 100 percent behind.”

I have been telling you guys for DECADES................. Coordinators are COFFEE FETCHERS and nothing more. Coffee Fetchers. Hoorta and Flugels would have you believe it is the COORDINATOR and not the Head Coach who runs the team. Not long ago Flugel went on and on about how Savage and Crennell were the genius behind their respective teams..............THEY WERE COFFEE FETCHERS...............

If you don't think Haley publicly kneeling down and kissing Hue Jacksons asss.........validates what I have been saying all along, then you are blinded by your hate.

I picked up on this IMMEDIATELY........... I ear marked it as THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT part of this episode. Was it? You tell me? Haley makes a press conference to kiss Hue's asss and announce that he is Hue's bihtch.

Will the OC bring some of his own ideas? Of course he will. BUT BUT BUT.................. which ideas are accepted and when those ideas are used???? ALL HUE JACKSON.

You know, I often forget that most of you guys probably never even had an office, maybe not even a desk. Hell, some of you probably never even had a job. But just listen to Ghoolie and you will learn about life. The QB is the most important player on the field (thats why they get the biggest paydays, and have rules made to protect them), the HC is, and always will be the most important, and powerful position on a football team. Hue is #1 with Haslam..................If Haslam announcing that Hue doesn't report to Dorsey didn't convince you, Haley bowing down after making a foible, surely does.

Life's lesson?

Coordinators fetch coffe, and make public asss kissing statements.

6 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Hue made some dumb game time management calls for sure. Overall though the level of Hue hate is on par with the Salem witch hunts. We gave the guy a handful of sh1t and asked him to turn it into a magic brownie. Could another coach have pulled one win out of his butt? maybe but WTF difference would that make. I predict a lot of you will be firmly slobbering on his knob and eating crow by game 8.

1-31

A few random musings from the most recent episode. I can’t seem to help myself from watching them twice.

I’m really liking Todd Haley. This sentiment has been said by others, so l guess l’m just echoing that, but man he seems like a real genuine dude with an even keeled and confident approach to dealing with everyone in the building and on the field.

That is the oldest l have ever seen Jim Brown look. I know he’s old and all, but he looks like he’s aged 10 years since last year.

There’s something about Tyrod Taylor’s communication style that l really like. He strikes me as one of those guys who speaks only when he needs to, and therfore commands attention when he actually does. A quiet confidence kind of thing. 

There was a random scene where his dad showed up and he signed a football for him, glanced over his shoulder and waved, and over walks Baker. He beckoned a #1 pick without uttering a word.

Is it me or does Baker sound like he makes Waterboy-esque squeals when he makes a TD throw?

9 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I have been telling you guys for DECADES................. Coordinators are COFFEE FETCHERS and nothing more. Coffee Fetchers. Hoorta and Flugels would have you believe it is the COORDINATOR and not the Head Coach who runs the team. Not long ago Flugel went on and on about how Savage and Crennell were the genius behind their respective teams..............THEY WERE COFFEE FETCHERS...............

If you don't think Haley publicly kneeling down and kissing Hue Jacksons asss.........validates what I have been saying all along, then you are blinded by your hate.

I picked up on this IMMEDIATELY........... I ear marked it as THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT part of this episode. Was it? You tell me? Haley makes a press conference to kiss Hue's asss and announce that he is Hue's bihtch.

Will the OC bring some of his own ideas? Of course he will. BUT BUT BUT.................. which ideas are accepted and when those ideas are used???? ALL HUE JACKSON.

You know, I often forget that most of you guys probably never even had an office, maybe not even a desk. Hell, some of you probably never even had a job. But just listen to Ghoolie and you will learn about life. The QB is the most important player on the field (thats why they get the biggest paydays, and have rules made to protect them), the HC is, and always will be the most important, and powerful position on a football team. Hue is #1 with Haslam..................If Haslam announcing that Hue doesn't report to Dorsey didn't convince you, Haley bowing down after making a foible, surely does.

Life's lesson?

Coordinators fetch coffe, and make public asss kissing statements.

your lost this is gregg's defense and haley's offense  if you cant see this there is not hope for you.  

5 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

A few random musings from the most recent episode. I can’t seem to help myself from watching them twice.

I’m really liking Todd Haley. This sentiment has been said by others, so l guess l’m just echoing that, but man he seems like a real genuine dude with an even keeled and confident approach to dealing with everyone in the building and on the field.

That is the oldest l have ever seen Jim Brown look. I know he’s old and all, but he looks like he’s aged 10 years since last year.

There’s something about Tyrod Taylor’s communication style that l really like. He strikes me as one of those guys who speaks only when he needs to, and therfore commands attention when he actually does. A quiet confidence kind of thing. 

There was a random scene where his dad showed up and he signed a football for him, glanced over his shoulder and waved, and over walks Baker. He beckoned a #1 pick without uttering a word.

Is it me or does Baker sound like he makes Waterboy-esque squeals when he makes a TD throw?

Ya, I watched this one twice, too.

My sentiments exactly on Taylor, always knew he was a good athlete, had no idea he was the smart, quiet leader type. I like how he gives the coaches ideas on how to approach the players.

Mayfield just has "it". None of us have been able to honestly say that since Kosar. So let's just be patient and enjoy the ride, it is going to be a great one.

David NoJokeU is a breakout superstar in waiting. Not only a freak athlete at his postion, but a samrt, articulate guy and a good teammate who seems really dialed in.

Myles Garret may turn out to be my favorite of them all.

Mayfield, NoJoke, Garrett and Ward ... possible four future great ones on each side of ball.

Calloway has first round upside.

Landry and Kirksey are terrific leaders.

Flash has not entered the building yet and he may be the most talented of all.

Gonna be a fun ride.

Zombo

myles is making our starting o line's vaginas sore but he's still a penis kisser in ghoolies mind. We havent had a DE with this "onfield" skillset ever. He's not a gym warrior and a poosy on the field. Our well over 300lb lineman cant handle him while he's at training camp speed and mentality. He's in like 4th gear now holding 5th and 6th in reserve for the season. Rem last year he tweeked thst ankle in camp. And still he's hitting our linemans uterine walls too hard. 

Let me add an interesting name ... Terrance Mitchell.

I considered him the third most important of the three free agent CBs we signed.

He wasn't highly rated by PFF and I figured he was just a Chiefs project that Dorsey didn't want to let go of.

But if you have watched the first two episodes of HK, that guy is blanketing somebody on every throw. I mean blanketing.

His career thus far is not impressive, has bounced around  ... but Dorsey must have saw something because he is winning the starting job and looks pretty bad ass out there so far. I hope he is a find.

Zombo

On 8/14/2018 at 9:27 PM, jcam222 said:

So far tonight I am loving the Hue I’m seeing in HK.Not sounding soft at all. 

My biggest takeaway as well...

Diehard alluded to his "performance". He may well have felt the sting of all the soft comments made here and elsewhere after Ep 1, but I don't care if it takes cameras rolling to toughen him up. I liked the Ep 2 edition...

On 8/15/2018 at 1:03 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

How can you let a guy who weighs 60 lbs. less than you push you around?😂

What's cool is that Myles seems to have developed new moves... primary and 2ndary. He looks dangerous.

23 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He is the personification of what Landry was talking about. Injury or not you get out there and play your way through it. He could hardly lift his arm, but never bitched to any coach. No slackers on this team!!👍

... and he was bloching with that shoulder later on. Gutsy stuff...

Crowded position... gonna come down to his ST play.

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What's cool is that Myles seems to have developed new moves... primary and 2ndary. He looks dangerous.

He's been working a lot with Bruce Smith and Willie Mcginist has been giving him pointers on coming off the spin moves with 2ndary moves. Ankles both seem healthy for the 1st time in two years and his quickness/speed seems to be back.

7 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

A few random musings from the most recent episode.

1. I’m really liking Todd Haley. This sentiment has been said by others, so l guess l’m just echoing that, but man he seems like a real genuine dude with an even keeled and confident approach to dealing with everyone in the building and on the field.
  2. That is the oldest l have ever seen Jim Brown look. I know he’s old and all, but he looks like he’s aged 10 years since last year.
  3. There’s something about Tyrod Taylor’s communication style that l really like. He strikes me as one of those guys who speaks only when he needs to, and therfore commands attention when he actually does. A quiet confidence kind of thing. There was a random scene where his dad showed up and he signed a football for him, glanced over his shoulder and waved, and over walks Baker. He beckoned a #1 pick without uttering a word.
  1. Agree on Haley... he noticed Calloway was withdrawn and was practically begging for him to unburden himself.
  2. Agree... but his laugh hasn't changed. Baker looked humbled to interact with "the man"... which was cool in and of itself.
  3. Agree... TT looks secure and totally comfortable in his skin. And you can easily envision him moving to coaching when his playing days are done. He just may hold off Baker longer than I thought.

On the Calloway meeting with the brass...

• I was shocked they did not jump with hard for failing to report the stop. That was as egregious as the stop... maybe moreso.
  • And of all the things under Cal's control driving with a suspended F-ing license tops the list. Better to have emphasized this than essentially suggesting he vacuum his car after loaning it to "friends".
  • What ultimately irritated me tho was the makeup of the meeting. Never in my years of working did a direct report have a "counseling session" where I was not present. Both his position coach and OC should have been there.

As for his "punishment"... loved when after his long TD catch'n'run Haley told him, "You're still in!" lol...

Way to gut it out, kid. I'm pulling for ya!

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He's been working a lot with Bruce Smith and Willie Mcginist has been giving him pointers on coming off the spin moves with 2ndary moves. Ankles both seem healthy for the 1st time in two years and his quickness/speed seems to be back.

Gee thanks... I watched Ep 1, too... ;)

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Gee thanks... I watched Ep 1, too... ;)

Oh yeah. Forgot that was covered. Myles was talking about it earlier this summer too. Along with taking a bunch of kids to the newest JP Dinosaur movie for a night on him.

Just watched the second episode...

1. The conversation between Dorsey, Jackson and Callaway actually made me cringe. The Browns used a 4th rounder on a guy whose history should have made him a CFL invite, an incident happens right away and HUE JACKSON IS THE HAMMER while Dorsey basically was begging Callaway to not make him look like an idiot? Let me repeat - HUE JACKSON IS THE HAMMER in this scenario. 

2. But because the Browns WR unit is now paper-thin, this "we just used a 4th rounder on Callaway if he flames out no big deal" is now super important to the Browns. How do I know? Because Haley basically begged Landry to play big brother to Callaway because he's that important. When your alleged #1 WR is as reliable as a 1982 Yugo in Josh Gordon, and another WR is a two-year disappointment in Corey Coleman, you are just playing with fire depending so much on someone like Callaway. And mark my words, because the franchise is so desperate to win, and he showed flashes, they'll put up with him when he inevitably Shmucks up again. 

3. How do I know he will Shmuck up again? This might not be fair to say just off of what we can see in Hard Knocks, but Callaway is an immature follower. Has anyone seen anything from him that says: "This is a man who will put his career and the team before anything else"? That being said, he seems honestly like a good kid. Not a diva at all. But a follower. A guy who can easily find himself taken advantage of, or taking the easy way out of situations. Not a guy who would ever say "Shmuck anyone who gets in my way of being the best football player I can be". 

4. I just don't see Hue as a Head Coach that the players respect. It's not because he's not a hard butt who yells and screams and gets in people's faces. That Sheet gets old quick. Its just that he doesn't have "it". He's not the guy that walks into the room and the players straighten up and take notice of. He's the type of coach that the team starts taking short cuts and gets lazy around as soon as they can. Hell, Hue even brought it up to them. 

5. The more I see of Mayfield, the more I like him. Still not sure he's the guy I would have taken, but he IS someone people notice, someone people rally around. 

6. I think the guy I'm most excited about this season is Njoku. If/when it all comes together for him, he could end up being a monster. Very mature, well-spoken for a young kid. The Myles Garrett part was interesting too. One minute he's writing poetry, next moment he's going to rip off Greg Robinson's head. 

7. Been mentioned multiple times but kind of hard to root against Devon Cajuste. Nice story between him and his father, you can see why Devon seems so well-liked by his teammates. Even if the NFL doesn't work out for the kid, you can tell he's going to be alright. Good head on his shoulders. 

8. Kind of surprised how little Denzel Ward is even mentioned. He was the #4 overall pick, and in two episodes the only time you really see him is when it appears he's not paying attention. 

9. Hue is right, all the talent in the world doesn't mean jack if the player doesn't do the work and isn't responsible. That being said, man, there is some talent on this roster now. I just have my doubts that Hue is the guy who makes it bloom. 

30 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

6. I think the guy I'm most excited about this season is Njoku. If/when it all comes together for him, he could end up being a monster.

That was a nice segment on him...

What a physical specimen... and his head seems to be getting there, too.

those new moves myles got is gonna get him a nasty bullrush too. I liked the clip where he juked a pass rush move but then turned it straight upfield and caught robinsons p'ussy flat on its heels. Dude knew he got xaught and gave myles a shove for it, i hope that was staged for the cameras cause every d line on our schedule just checked which side #72 gonna be on.

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

8. Kind of surprised how little Denzel Ward is even mentioned. He was the #4 overall pick, and in two episodes the only time you really see him is when it appears he's not paying attention.

It's absolutely bewildering how invisible he is on the show right now. 

9 hours ago, D Bone said:

It's absolutely bewildering how invisible he is on the show right now. 

The show normally follows several players through the trials and tribulations of cutting days. He has no worries. But at some point he will get featured I'm sure. I'm thinking Cajuste will be seen nearly every week as a "bubble" player who is giving everything to make this team. And I bet we see some followup this week with Coleman since ironically he is on our schedule tonight.

Callaway looks and behaves like a school kid. You can tell he is immature and is probably easily led. There were a lot of cringe worthy moments in episode 2 but I think the worst was when hue made him stand up and apologise in front of his team mates. I dont think that was necessary anyway, another easy target for hue to try and exert his authority....but the way callaway stood there swinging his arms, and then a rather weak apology, and then hue just accepting it....yeah cringe worthy!!

I think the question is whether this kid has the strength of personality to stay on the straight path...I really hope he does because he is some athlete.

2 hours ago, Claret&Brown said:

Callaway looks and behaves like a school kid. You can tell he is immature and is probably easily led. There were a lot of cringe worthy moments in episode 2 but I think the worst was when hue made him stand up and apologise in front of his team mates. I dont think that was necessary anyway, another easy target for hue to try and exert his authority....but the way callaway stood there swinging his arms, and then a rather weak apology, and then hue just accepting it....yeah cringe worthy!!

I think the question is whether this kid has the strength of personality to stay on the straight path...I really hope he does because he is some athlete.

Calloway is a big time introvert. I’m not sure l’ve ever seen a prodessional athlete as uncomfortable with public speaking or in front of a camara than he is. For him, that apology to the team was probably one of the most difficult things he was asked to do in camp. I bet he rehearsed that one sentence a thousand times in his mind beforehand. 

It’s something that really interests me about him. Everyone likes recognition for what they are good at, and for a plus athlete that means stuff like interviews, public appearance, and commercials, and that stuff is waaay outside his comfort zone right now.

Most professional and plenty of college athletes get coaching on what to say in interviews and how to handle those limelight situations. If his career works out he will get better at these things, but right now it’s very evident he has a hard time with it.

It's interesting to see how Callaway's scouting report is very true. Amazing talent but has made questionable decisions off it. However, everyone also said he was a good kid who just doesn't know any better. I think we are seeing that before our very eyes. Calloway seems like a kid who just doesn't know any better. He's a follower and not a leader, which is ok. Not everyone has to be the alpha dog. He doesn't run his mouth, seems to work hard and accepts coaching well. The team likes him but they see a 21 year old who is still very green to the real world. Haley said it best when he called him a puppy dog. Having Landry on this team is the best thing for Callaway's future. He can see what it takes to work hard, have that right attitude and how to stay out of trouble. I think I like him more now than before the episode, which is surprising to say. 

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Calloway is a big time introvert. I’m not sure l’ve ever seen a prodessional athlete as uncomfortable with public speaking or in front of a camara than he is. For him, that apology to the team was probably one of the most difficult things he was asked to do in camp. I bet he rehearsed that one sentence a thousand times in his mind beforehand. 

It’s something that really interests me about him. Everyone likes recognition for what they are good at, and for a plus athlete that means stuff like interviews, public appearance, and commercials, and that stuff is waaay outside his comfort zone right now.

Most professional and plenty of college athletes get coaching on what to say in interviews and how to handle those limelight situations. If his career works out he will get better at these things, but right now it’s very evident he has a hard time with it.

Yes I can understand your perspective on him totally, public speaking is my biggest fear...I hate it with a passion. Plus he is very young too, so perhaps we(i) need to cut him some slack....but it does beg the question, why didn't hue go about it in a different way? 

1 hour ago, Claret&Brown said:

Yes I can understand your perspective on him totally, public speaking is my biggest fear...I hate it with a passion. Plus he is very young too, so perhaps we(i) need to cut him some slack....but it does beg the question, why didn't hue go about it in a different way? 

I dunno. Possibly the same reason he went after his OC? The Hueball is just not HC material IMO. Proved that practically every game since he took over.

I think that was one of the better coaching moments we were able to see from Hue so far. Being a players coach pays off in situations like that I think considering the wuss-fest that is the modern nfl but we will see.

4 hours ago, Claret&Brown said:

I didn’t think it was a terrible way to go about it. The kid has to learn how to deal with being under a microscope and successes and failures under said microscope. A public apology to his teammates and cameras is a baby step towards that.

Archived